CONCERT REPORT: Hobart, Australia, 15 November 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
wombat writer

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Hobart, Australia, 15 November 2010

Post by wombat writer »

Dean (from Adelaide)But ... that's really just my opinion. I would also be really interested to know what other people think. Are LC fan's enjoying Clare's sets ... or just politely clapping, waiting for the main act to come on?

I saw Clare at the Brisbane concert and enjoyed her performance very much. I can't begin to imagine what a daunting task it would be to be a support act for someone like Leonard Cohen: I would think one's ego would have to be tightly strapped into a suitcase. Knowing that Cohen fan's are pretty fervent in their praise of the great man, I'm sure it would play in the back of your mind that a lot of people wouldn't necessarily be that interested in you. I thought she won the audience over with her gentle humour and down-to-earth banter. She has a beautiful voice and an interesting poetic slant on the ordinary, something that I feel sure would be appreciated by Leonard.
Despite itching to see Mr Cohen, my applause for Clair Bowditch was very genuine indeed.
ladydi

Re: CONCERT THREAD: Hobart, Australia, Nov. 15, 2010

Post by ladydi »

Hi blonde madonna,

looks like 2 threads were running for Hobart. dce's post is here viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23676
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

FYI
My daughter & son-in-law were at the Crowded House concert in the Barossa Valley on Saturday and reported that Claire Bowditch was performing there.
Gets around a bit, doesn't she?
Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
dce

Post by dce »

AlanM wrote:FYI
My daughter & son-in-law were at the Crowded House concert in the Barossa Valley on Saturday and reported that Claire Bowditch was performing there.
Gets around a bit, doesn't she?
Alan
I guess this explains why we got Deborah Conway as the support act for the second Melbourne show ... I'd have to say I enjoyed her support set less than Clare's. Sorry Deborah, you've still got a great voice, but your new stuff isn't really my thing ...

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
elcord

Post by elcord »

Dean, thanks for you detailed documentation of the show. I affirm all the things you mentioned and admire your notetaking. I had a good seat and my 'opera' glasses. What I really liked what the way Leonard gives his attention to the band. Through the glasses I could watch him and he was really absorbed.

I felt there was a nice looseness and energy about this performance (compared with a Melbourne performance I saw last year). The venue, even given the 5000 attending had a certain intimacy about it, at least where I was sitting.

There was a letter in the local paper today with a heartfelt thanks to Leonard and the team for gracing Hobart with their visit.

On a sadder note, learned today that someone I went to school with couldn't make it to the concert. Had a brain tumour removed last week. The Entertainment Center were going to look after him so he could attend in a wheelchair, but he wasn't well enough. Will probably not make another couple of weeks. Apparantly he was very upset to not be well enough to see the concert. Let us count our blessings.

Fascinating to know Leonard and Sharon and Roscoe were taking in the local cheap eats. Mako is not the most up-market fish and chippery at the docks. There are more salubrious places nearby. I gather they were staying at the Grand Chancellor hotel across the road from the wharf area.
Melbourne 1980, Sydney 1985, Melbourne, 2009, Hobart 2010
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Hi dce,

I really enjoy your detailed reports! Thanks!

By the way, the lines spoken by Leonard before The Darkness (except for the "other way around" bit) are from a poem from Book of Longing (I haven't got the book with me, but I remember those lines!).

Cheers!
Lisa
dce

Post by dce »

LisaLCFan wrote:Hi dce,

I really enjoy your detailed reports! Thanks!

By the way, the lines spoken by Leonard before The Darkness (except for the "other way around" bit) are from a poem from Book of Longing (I haven't got the book with me, but I remember those lines!).

Cheers!
Lisa
[sound of pages flipping madly]

Lisa is absolutely correct ... those four lines are actually the poem titled "Sorrows of the Elderly" on page 171 of Book of Longing.

Dean (from Adelaide).
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
blonde madonna

Re: CONCERT THREAD: Hobart, Australia, Nov. 15, 2010

Post by blonde madonna »

Thanks ladydi, I often get lost around here (and end up in back alleys where I never meant to go).
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Dean - You have outdone yourself yet again - another excellent, detailed review. It is a joy to read all your reviews - thank you so much!

Elcord - I am so very sorry your friend was unable to attend the concert.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
dce

Post by dce »

elcord wrote: Fascinating to know Leonard and Sharon and Roscoe were taking in the local cheap eats. Mako is not the most up-market fish and chippery at the docks. There are more salubrious places nearby. I gather they were staying at the Grand Chancellor hotel across the road from the wharf area.
Grand Chancellor was my guess as well, based on the location of the restaurant and also the area shown in Joey's photos (they never seem to stray all that far from home base ... I guess there's not much time for long walks :D ).

Dean (from Adelaide)
klektik

Post by klektik »

Hi , Prior to the show I delivered a Cambodian Apsara to the box office manager , who guaranteed that it would go into the tour manager's hands. I would like like to know if it got to its destination? sincerely James Shuvus Williamson

Return to “The World Tour 2010”