CONCERT REPORTS: Sydney, Australia, November 8 & 9, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
neo

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Sydney, Australia, Nov. 8-9, 2010

Post by neo »

dce wrote:"the parking lot's kind of dark so make sure you don't get into someone else's car. Then drive to somebody else's home."
:lol:

Thanks a lot Dean for your great concert report!
Let's hope the band will be on fire for the second show too.
What sad religions they want us to believe.
flopearedmule

Post by flopearedmule »

Thanks for everyone's reports and setlists. I can't really judge the overall atmosphere, sitting as I was way up the back but everyone around us even that far away was completely engaged for the whole time. In 2008 I was up the front at Sydney and Bowral gigs so naturally this one up the back had a different, less intense vibe but it was still beautiful and thrilling. Those two gigs were so perfect I was happy to just sit back and soak this one in as a happy, unexpected treat to see him again.

Once again all the reports back are breathless with adulation. A perfect night, even from the cheap seats.

On the way in we overheard someone say "He wrote Hallelujah and Dance Me to the End of Time" - lol, a Leonard Cohen/Doctor Who mash up at last! :lol:
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Hi Dean,
I looked for you but didn't see your badge.
Excellent report.
A couple of other observations:
Anthem - "birth delayed" rather than betrayed.
Take This Waltz - before "on a chair with a dead magazine" he sang "I want you (x3)" I presume in Spanish, while directing his gaze towards Javier.
I think I got decent video of Avalanche and moderate of A Singer Must Die - I missed the start as I wasn't expecting to get both.
Won't be home until the weekend to check it.
I did get a setlist so if nobody has posted it by then I will scan it.
There were only 3 handed over that I saw.
I was front row centre and for me last night the miracle came to Sydney.
Might see you in Adelaide.
Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

AlanM - looking forward to seeing your videos!! :D :D

A few from Twitter -
drnaomi Naomi Parry - I know everybody expects this to be the case, but Leonard Cohen was sublime. Perhaps he is so timeless because he so loves his work?
sammybuckingham Sam Buckingham - going to see Leonard Cohen tonight! gonna wear a dress and take snake lollies for snacks
Davidrkerr David Kerr - Leonard Cohen lyrics are complex but somehow resonate with the human spirit. Looking forward to his concert tonight.
sneakysmiles Emma-Lee Claire - I can't wait for wednesday omg omg omg I have loved Leonard Cohen my whole life
cityrail ngoc- leonard cohen last night was amazing! among the best, if not the best, performer i've seen live. and we got the set list! go us.
Last edited by sturgess66 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shockvalue

Post by Shockvalue »

Well it was a stunning first concert in Sydney with the "treats"of Avalanche, A Singer must Die and the new The Darkness(and it is dark!)thrown in. It was funny to see the band "hightail" it back down the stage steps when he launched into the former two songs; he obviously caught them unprepared. When his previous concerts in Australia were so brilliant there is always a slight trepidation that this current one might not match up, and better the perfect memory - I needn't have worried. ACER ARENA is a horrible barn of a venue with tendency to echo, but I thought the sound engineers did well, the sound was very good. Leonard as amazingly sprightly as ever and the crowd were very responsive - I don't agree wholly with dce's perception of the crowds initial response. I thought the whole concert progressed naturally in terms of the increasing interaction between the audience and performers. I certainly wouldn't have thought he included the 'bonus" numbers to "win" over the crowd. The arrangments and different instrument highlights made everything seem fresh, even if you had been to last years concerts. From memory, this time round I think Leonard's interactions with the band were more frequent with lots of spontaneous smiles and gestures. Afterwards the positive comments were flowing from all sides as you passed by different groups of well satisfied patrons.
Last edited by Shockvalue on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
dce

Post by dce »

Photos from Sydney, Night 1 (November 8 )

As I mentioned before, despite having reasonable seats at the Acer Arena (on the floor, row 18) I had a pretty limited view of Leonard and the band. So only a handful of photos from the show.

About an hour before the show, the heavens above Sydney Olympic Park just opened up as a thunder storm rolled through. Fortunately the storm blow over quickly:

(Early) fans arriving at the venue:

LC and the UHTC, giving it their all during Set 2:

Neil and the girls, in classic Black and White:

Leonard, Bob, Rafael and Roscoe, in classic Black and White:

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

And on to night two -

Scenes from the venue.
Merch stalls are brisk.
* Acer Arena - Sydney, Australia
Starting off night two sweetly, Clare Bowditch has the rapt attention of this Sydney audience.
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/152 ... bodnarchuk
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Some video -

Uploaded by "aadorecouture" - Thanks!!

"Tower of Song" - clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwUKtDhX5AA

"I'm Your Man" -clip - "Or if you want to take me for a ride, you know damn well you can" :D :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vehttjBVoCA
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

And it looks like show number two is off to a good start -
Thangngo Thang Ngo - Standing ovation for leonard cohen! http://twitpic.com/35anp
adam1

Post by adam1 »

Good show tonight. Almost identical setlist (we even got a singer must die!) but without closing time, but with born in chains. Otherwise I think it was the same.

Vibe wasnt quite as good though, the crowd were pretty bad tbh... No where near as much enthusiasm as last night and a whole lot of people left after the first encore... Even walking out from the first few rows as Leonard re-emerged for I Tried To Leave You. And it seemed to strip the show of the wonderful momentumn that last night hit. So it was kinda like last night, but a little more demure. It seemed to be more of a babyboomer "slice of culture" crowd than fanatics.

Of course, with that said, it was still pretty great.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Joey -
There’s no taking it easy just because it’s night two, LC came out of the gate swinging tonight.
From Twitter -
nickerlesswalsh Nicholas Walsh - Just returned from watching @clarebowditch and that baffled king, the incomparable Leonard Cohen, in their towers of song. Sheer heaven.
Leonard Cohen @ ACER Arena - he's the only act who I've ever had introduce each and every member of the tech crew whilst onstage! Goodonim!
jwowchuk Jim Wowchuk
Just saw Leonard Cohen in concert. What a class act!! At 76, still playing impressive guitar and even skipping. I should be so lucky!
Ian_Dawes Ian Dawes - Leonard Cohen concert in Sydney was great. He did some solo numbers that were fabulous. Great virtuoso performances from the musicians too.
JovanaArbon Jovana Arbon - What a truly Spectacular show! The amazing Leonard Cohen and co. http://yfrog.com/6xhniyj
sammybuckingham Sam Buckingham - Leonard Cohen. I think my heart just fell out
mike_photos Michael P Kennedy - Leonard Cohen - oh my. What a show.
chicblossom Blossom Design - Leonard Cohen concert spectacular - legend.
shauncrowe Shaun Crowe - just witnessed one of the greatest musical productions in recent memory. Leonard Cohen, 3 and a 1/4 hours. Utterly sublime.
barryofarrell Barry O'Farrell - Leonard Cohen puts performers half his age to shame - a concert to remember!
ianstead Ian Stead - Interval at the Leonard Cohen concert in Sydney. Quite sublime. He gives of himself so absolutely, it's a privilege to listen to him.
Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
adam1

Post by adam1 »

Got a bit of a treat for y'all coming up.
adam1

Post by adam1 »

This is still processing at my end but by the time you read this, should work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMzE4BrZ1u4

Bed time.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Thank you adam1....indeed a treat! When Leonard started to sing "A Singer Must Die" at Lissadell (Sligo) I know what a happy shock it was for all of us! lol...you even teased us with no hint until we opened it up...nice surprise! :D
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Thanks for the video adam1!

A nice photo trail from Joey -

Neil Larsen —> Amazing.
“These are two songs about the darkness, one how you catch it, and one how you get rid of it.”
In a venue known for it’s noise and jarring echo, one could hear a pin drop between the notes during Anthem.
This one's jiggy!!!!! :lol: :lol: 8)
Back from the break.
- Acer Arena - Sydney, Australia
“and all the ladies go moist, and the judge has no choice, a singer must die for the lie in his voice”
A Singer Must Die makes another surprise appearance in the second set.
Yes.
Still at it up there.
* Acer Arena - Sydney, Australia /quote]
Tried To Leave You.
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/152 ... ena-sydney
That’s the show and we’re wrapped in Sydney.
Thank you Joey!
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/152 ... -in-sydney

Return to “The World Tour 2010”