CONCERT REPORTS: Sydney, Australia, November 8 & 9, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
AlanM

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Sydney, Australia, Nov. 8-9, 2010

Post by AlanM »

Many thanks to Bridger15 for guiding me from the other side of the Pacific.
I finally achieved upload.
Avalanche Sydney 8Nov2010 link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVGPVIYorbM

Hope you like it.

Alan
Last edited by AlanM on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

AlanM wrote:Many thanks to Bridger15 for guiding me from the other side of the Pacific.
I finally achieved upload.
Avalanche Sydney 8Nov2010 link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVGPVIYorbM

Hope you like it.

Alan
Alan, your AVALANCHE video is outstanding! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVGPVIYorbM

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Alan this is a great video. It really shows how Leonard plays that song. Love to see him with that guitar.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Mark,

What a first post! Such a wonderful review! Welcome to the forum.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lindyasimus

Post by lindyasimus »

No Closing Time on 9 November show.
People who aren't familiar with the way the shows close started to leave and so I think we
missed another encore that the band would have been expecting to finish with.

Fantastic show though. Remarkable and much appreciated.
graham.putt

Post by graham.putt »

Hi,

Hanging Rock was sold out when I looked on Monday morning. The tickets I saw last week (row G!) must have been a late release and didn't last any time at all, there has been nothing since.
I did see 2 row J tix on eBay but decided no and glad I did as they sold for big $$. Good timing to sell I guess people had seen the Melbourne show in the weekend and were very (very) keen to see the great man again.
So I shall buy 'Bird on a Wire' and watch that and 'Live in London' instead. And read the concert reports next week. It should be a great show. I am enjoying Paul Kelly's How to Make Gravy, he opened last year in the Hunter Valley so I hope people enjoy him also.
I have some great memories of this trip, and hopefully more in the future.

Leslie, I very well remember you sending me the email that Australia / NZ had been announced, as do my workmates because I shouted! Then 10 seconds later looking at the schedule I shouted again! That sort of behaviour is not expected in the office and was the talking point for a bit. It is now well known that I am a Cohenite!

graham
If your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn
They will bind you with love that is graceful and green as a stem

Sydney Jan 09, Las Vegas Nov 09, San Jose Nov 09, Auck Oct 10, Wgtn Nov 10, Chch Nov 10, Syd Nov 10, Auck Dec 13
mutti

Post by mutti »

Hi Graham...I remember it well...
It sounds like your 4? concerts were everything you wanted. To add to your visual pleasures now that you are not going to Hanging Rock I have 2 suggestions for you.
One is to get Songs from a Road if you haven't already its fabulous and has a CD as well as DVD
and the other is to come to Las Vegas and see Leonard again and those of us you know from last year and meet new ones! :D :D :D 8) :D :D :D
If not I will be thinking of you for sure.
A fellow Cohenite
Cheers! till the next time we meet...
Leslie ;-)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
graham.putt

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Sydney, Australia, November 8 & 9, 2010

Post by graham.putt »

Hi,
I would love to come to Las Vegas, the colosseum is a great place to see the show, dont think it hasn't crossed my mind! Unfortunately however this time it aint going to happen, I do have good memories of that trip however.
What I am hoping for is a new album and then a tour, perhaps by the end of next year? Fingers crossed. Then I can make up my mind whether I come back across to see the great man once more, I think I would be tempted for that one.
I do have Songs for the Road, I was a little skeptical of the release but I enjoy it of course.
graham
If your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn
They will bind you with love that is graceful and green as a stem

Sydney Jan 09, Las Vegas Nov 09, San Jose Nov 09, Auck Oct 10, Wgtn Nov 10, Chch Nov 10, Syd Nov 10, Auck Dec 13
horo1984

Post by horo1984 »

lindyasimus wrote:No Closing Time on 9 November show.
People who aren't familiar with the way the shows close started to leave and so I think we
missed another encore that the band would have been expecting to finish with.

Fantastic show though. Remarkable and much appreciated.
Welcome, Lindy.

You're not alone - I too expected "Closing Time" after "I Tried To Leave You" on 9 November :?

When the lights suddenly came on, I was a little stunned. This probably led me to being paralysed by Hattie Webb:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23614&start=0
:lol:

But hey, it was a sterling performance and 25 songs is about right for a concert with an opening act (I thought Clare Bowditch did a great job, by the way) and a mandatory curfew (someone correct me if I'm wrong here; I'm not familiar with the laws in Australia).

The concert ended at 11.30pm. Late enough for a 76-year-old. After all, LC is human (though for most Cohenites he's at the very least a minor god) and needs his rest.

Here's to the next LC concert you attend, hopefully one that ends with "Closing Time" :)

Lester
I needed so much / To have nothing to touch / I've always been greedy that way
Sydney, Australia - 9 November 2010
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

AlanM wrote:I have a good (I think) video of Avalanche from 8Nov in Sydney taken from front row.
I have not uploaded before and need some guidance.
I have created a YouTube account and a Google account, but when I try to access either, all I get is a nearly blank screen with "Redirecting" on the tab title, and alternating messages "waiting for http://www.google.com" and "waiting for http://www.youtube.com" at the bottom left.
The indicator bottom right goes from empty to full in 1-2 seconds then starts again.
I have left it for quite a few minutes and it just keeps repeating.
Can someone help me, please.
Thank you in anticipation,
Alan

Thank you for the help from my Cohenite friends.
I have solved the upload problem - just sign up for gmail!
New problem with Picasa - when I create video for upload the lip sync gets lost.
Still working on that one!
Alan

Don't "create video" - just upload raw file from camera or file edited in another program.
Link in next post.
Alan
Confessions of a novice concert videographer and uploader.

First I want to again proclaim my thanks to all who have offered and supplied guidance in my many hours of need, but Bridger15 has been outstanding.
Not only did Arlene give me very useful technical help, but she sent many emails of encouragement that kept me going through very frustrating times.

What have I learned from my mistakes?
1. Even though my browser settings were to accept all cookies, they were not always so. in the past I must have blocked cookies from Google and YouTube and that probably was the problem (above) of refreshing pages rather than logging in. Solution in Firefox: Tools, Options, Accept Cookies From Sites, Exceptions. Then delete the address if it says "Block" and type in to the top field "Address of website". OK.
2. I had a couple of very frustrating occurrences with uploading via Picasa - 99% download and then an error message with no explanation. After searching the Picasa Help section I have adjusted my firewall to allow Picasa access. May just be coincidence, but no more 99% failures since. One was 7.5 hours, the other over 8.
3. My camera is a Canon SX1 IS and is primarily a megazoom still camera that takes 720 HD movies too. In Sydney I took some still shots first and then because the stage lighting was variable I changed the ASA setting to 1600 for some. When I changed to the movie setting the screen display indicated ASA Auto and I thought no more about it. I feel the Sydney "Avalanche" video is a lot grainier than the others and I guess the background ASA setting could have been the reason. For Adelaide I left the ASA setting on Auto for both still shots and movies and I think the graininess is much less.
4. Canon SX1 IS - IS = image stabiliser, i.e. reduces shake but doesn't eliminate it all together. In Sydney I was able to support the camera on my knee and rotate the viewing screen to be able to check it without being too obvious. Knee support is only of benefit from the front row. In Adelaide I brought in a Monopod as I was in 2nd row. When I wasn't moving the camera I feel the steadiness was quite good, however sometimes I had to move the camera around the patron in front of me, and therefore around my knee, hence some shaking. I also had to try to avoid the rapidly moving front of stage cameraman. I aborted a couple of starts because he was right in front of me for too long. Biggest problem re the monopod was that it drew the attention of the adjacent security man and I was told to stop. He kept staring at me all through the second half, so all the Adelaide videos are from the 1st half. (I also swapped memory cards, so if he came back I could erase a blank card). No flip top on the monopod, so I had to hold it at an angle to shoot upwards to the stage. I guess from further back and away from security these problems would be minimal. I just walked in with it as my walking stick and nobody challenged me.
5. For stage lighting, if you can, change the White Balance (WB) on your camera. Tungsten is the best setting for artificial lighting to give the truest colours. In my camera the icon is a light globe shining. Reset it back to daylight or Auto before using natural lighting!
I know I used Auto ASA in Adelaide, but I always try to chose the lowest ASA setting that I can when I have more time to compose a photo. The concerts were definitely "point and shoot" situations.

Bit of a rambling de-brief, but I hope I may have helped other novices to overcome recording and upload problems. Video posts as below:

Avalanche Sydney 8Nov2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVGPVIYorbM

Anthem Adelaide 18Nov2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSsrnJryk2s

Bird On A Wire Adelaide 18Nov2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng8CtGZC7Lo

Everybody Knows Adelaide 18Nov2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdSJj12OjMo

Waiting For The Miracle Adelaide 18Nov2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv4FRoEIT3o

Who By Fire Adelaide 18Nov2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uh26JVBvO8

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
dce

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Sydney, Australia, November 8 & 9, 2010

Post by dce »

Just a quick heads-up: most readers of the LC Forum will probably know by now that there exists a (currently circulating) audience recording of the Nov 8 Sydney concert in its entireity, although sadly not for Nov 9. If this is news to you, scoot over to the "Collectors Corner" section of the forum and read the last few pages of postings in the "audience recordings" thread.

As with other LC "down under" recordings I've taken it upon myself to design some CD artwork to go along with this show: take a look at http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/cd-packaging/, and you will see my CD Packaging. (As should be obvious,) I'm no graphic designer ... but hopefully these designs might be interesting or useful to some folks here.

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)

Return to “The World Tour 2010”