CONCERT REPORT:Christchurch, New Zealand, November 3, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT:Christchurch, New Zealand, November 3, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

It is Wednesday, November 3rd in Christchurch, New Zealand – about 12:30 p.m. The temperature there is a comfortable 66 degrees F.

I could find only a very small picture of the venue. The CBS Canterbury Arena (formally Westpac Arena), built in 1998, is one of New Zealand's largest indoor sports and entertainment venues It has a maximum seating capacity of almost 9,000 and hosts international sporting events, artists, exhibitions and gala dinners.

The city of Christchurch in Canterbury is the largest city on the South Island of New Zealand – and suffered extensive damage as a result of two recent – and major - earthquakes, the first at the beginning of September (7.0 magnitude) and the second in mid-October (5.0 magnitude).

A little perspective - to show where Leonard Cohen and the Unified Heart Touring Company are presently - on the map –

A view of Christchurch Square –

This is a nice picture of Christchurch - although taken quite a few years ago –
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT:Christchurch, NZ, Westpac Arena, Nov. 3, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

We had no video from the last show - :shock: :cry: - so -

I’m really hoping someone has one of these -

This would work too – (you go girl!) :lol: :lol:

This too - :) :)

Hmmmmmmmmm … :?: :idea: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Joey -

Preparations -

Just in case, we roll with two red chairs for Javier.
* Christchurch, New Zealand
Seat build out in progress.
* CBS Canterbury Arena - Christchurch, New Zealand
Lighting focus in progress.
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/146 ... canterbury
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Band en route to venue, soundcheck to follow soon.
ANOTHER new tune! :D
Soundcheck and the boys are kicking around another new tune.
neo

Post by neo »

It’s our last night in New Zealand and LC is holding nothing back.

*CBS Canterbury Arena - Christchurch, New Zealand
Last edited by neo on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What sad religions they want us to believe.
neo

Post by neo »

Second set Tower of Song coming right up.

Last edited by neo on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neo

Post by neo »

Tried to Leave You, but it’s encore number two.

Closing Time before we close the book on New Zealand.

Closing up shop in Christchurch.

Evie B

Post by Evie B »

Yes, c'mon Christchurch, just point it and press the button, we will love any recordings you make.

Luv

Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Very nice review.
"Mr Cohen, sir, Christchurch collectively takes its hat off to you."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/4 ... f-to-Cohen
Hats off to Cohen
Godfather of cool impresses

VICKI ANDERSON - The Press
Last updated 05:00 04/11/2010

WORDSMITH: Leonard Cohen. (DON SCOTT/The Press)

Arriving at the CBS Canterbury Arena I found Leonard Cohen's The Guests in my head: ''One by one the guests arrive, the guests are coming through. The open-hearted many, the broken-hearted few. And those who dance begin to dance, and those who weep begin. Welcome, welcome, cries a voice, let all my guests come in...''

I missed opener Bic Runga completely through underestimating traffic congestion, despite allowing myself 45 minutes to get from the city centre to the venue. I have never seen this venue so full of cars.

Magical is a word which was used a lot by those who saw Leonard Cohen last time he played in Christchurch, as they delivered the kind of fervent praise usually reserved for a religious experience.

Now I can understand why.

For those who missed out in 2008, another chance to see and hear the 76-year-old Canadian singer/songwriting legend miracuously presented itself last night.

Religion is something which is not far from the heart of Leonard Cohen. A Buddhist monk as well as observant Jew, there is an indefinable spirituality that informs many of his songs. Cohen was ordained as a Rinzai Zen Buddhist monk and took the Dharma name Jikan, meaning silence. And Cohen says as much in the silences and spaces in his performance as he does through his articulate wordplay and extraordinary music.

The smart hat and suit complicate the Zen-like aura a little but throughout Cohen conducts himself in the calm, meditative manner usually associated with a prophet.

Some of his best-known songs are written in the tone of a seer of course - Democracy, First We Take Manhattan, The Future - the latter carrying the same spooky weight last night as it did when first unveiled last century. Last night's version notably featured a line change from ''give me crack and anal sex'' to ''give me crack and killer sex''.

My own route to the songs of Leonard Cohen is indirect, having initially heard Cohen songs covered by others. Therefore I first got to know encore So Long Marianne as performed by the Straitjacket Fits, Lover, Lover, Lover done by Echo and the Bunnymen and the omnipresent Hallelujah performed by all sorts, ranging from Dave Dobbyn to KD Lang and Nick Drake.

Playing for over three hours over two parts and three encores last night, the arena was bathed in a hushed, reverent atmosphere as Cohen delicately delivered Dance Me to the End of Love, The Darkness, Waiting for the Miracle, Bird on the Wire, Tower of Song, Sisters of Mercy, the Gypsy's Wife, Hallelujah, I'm Your Man and more. I've watched his live DVDs and heard his albums but hearing Cohen live was another step up - it was like being drizzled in lyrical honey.
Ad Feedback

For me, Chelsea Hotel #2 and 1000 Kisses Deep were dynamite. Unfortunately two braying bovine boofheads behind me decided to loudly chat about meaningless domestic frippery. I turned around and gave them "the look" and thankfully they shut their boorish cakeholes.

Cohen's gift as a songwriter, especially as a wordsmith, has never been in doubt, even for the non-obsessive, and for all who attended the sold-out CBS Canterbury Arena last night, the kind of respect usually reserved for a Dylan or a Brian Wilson was afforded. He received a standing ovation walking on stage and three standing ovations before Closing Time.

Cohen is a master at weaving emotion subtly and the atmosphere was never overly maudlin; rather the sadness was inspiring and the audience laughed often at his well-timed lines and clever poetic teasers.

Aged 76, his deep baritone wavered only a little over his astonishing three hour set and any blemishes were hidden by the wonderful array of backing vocalists spread among his nine-piece band, which included percussionist Rafael Gayol, Roscoe Beck (musical director, bass and backing vocals), Neil Larsen (keys), the inimitable Bob Metzger (guitars, pedal steel and backing vocals), sublime saxophonist Dino Soldo, Javier Mas (bandurria, laud, archilaud and 12-string guitar), the gorgeous and hypnotic vocals of Sharon Robinson and the Webb sisters - sibling acrobats with sublime voices.

Cohen said he was humbled by the hospitality he had received in our ''mysterious and exotic location you all seem to regard as regular''.

There is a crack, a crack in everything ... that's how the light gets in.

The Godfather of cool, Cohen is one of a kind and this was one of the best shows I've seen in a long time.

Mr Cohen, sir, Christchurch collectively takes its hat off to you.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

[quote="sturgess66"]We had no video from the last show - :shock: :cry: - so -

This would work too – (you go girl!) :lol: :lol:

would produce great video but unfortunately might be spotted by security :lol:
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Ah cohenadmirer - I know, I know - but I liked the thought and the image. :lol:

BUT - WE HAVE SOME VIDEO!

"henknz" gave it a shot - and we appreciate it. Thank you!!! :D :D
Christchurch, New Zealand, 3 November 2010. My shaky attempt at filming this beautiful, bluesy version of Bird On A Wire was interrupted by a discreet tap on the shoulder: sorry, no filming allowed.
"Bird On The Wire" - captures some of Leonard singing and sounding terrific- and wonderful solos by Bob Metzger & Dino Soldo :D :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trzkiz5e-pI

And "henknz" was courageous and not deterred by that tap on the shoulder!! 8) :lol: :D
Christchurch, 3 November 2010. This was the last of a long string of encores. The man is 76 years of age, and was on stage for a full three hours! What a concert!
"Closing Time" - great view of enthusiastic audience at the end. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEXgngimKVc
MasterThief

Post by MasterThief »

Christchurch, New Zealand - 3 November 2010

A scan of the set list from the stage is included below. I seem to have lost my written record of the set list but I am pretty sure I have got it correct. If anybody who was there notices any errors (or can confirm my recollection) please make a post here.

The set list as actually played was:

Set 1
01 Dance Me To The End of Love
02 The Future
03 Bird on the Wire
04 Everybody Knows
05 Who By Fire
06 The Darkness
07 Chelsea Hotel #2
08 Waiting for the Miracle
09 Anthem

Set 2
10 Tower of Song
11 Suzanne
12 Sisters of Mercy
13 The Gypsy's Wife
14 The Partisan
15 Hallelujah [name check: "I didn't come here to the Church of Christ to fool you"]
16 I'm Your Man
17 A Thousand Kisses Deep
18 Take This Waltz

Encore 1
19 So Long, Marianne
20 Famous Blue Raincoat
21 First We Take Manhattan

Encore 2
22 I Tried To Leave You
23 Closing Time

Melbourne 6 & 7 Mar 1980, Melbourne 25 May 1985, Wellington 20 Jan 2009, Auckland 22 Jan 2009, Melbourne 5 Feb 2009, Wellington 31 Oct 2010, Christchurch 3 Nov 2010, Christchurch 14 Dec 2013
dce

Post by dce »

MasterThief,

Good work on picking up another on-stage set list. Interesting to see it lists The Darkness and Born In Chains apparently as alternative options: maybe LC decides on the spur of the moment. :)

Also interesting to see that it was again a 23 song concert (a little bit shorter than the full 3.5 hour show) ... I wonder what we will get in Brisbane on Saturday?

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

sturgess66 wrote: This is a nice picture of Christchurch - although taken quite a few years ago –
That's actually the city's port of Lyttleton, quite separate from the city itself thanks to a dramatic range of volcanic hills in between the two.

The city looks more like this:

Perhaps somebody can Google a better photo than this. I know I've got some on my hard drive somewhere, but I have no time to sort them now.

Anyhow, Leonard was sublime, as ever. Two unintended incidents stamped this concert with its own uniqueness. Leonard's microphone failed during Bird On The Wire, but the mishap was handled with flair by the crew and with grace by Leonard. He briefly and obliquely referred to the incident later when name-checking the crew. And Sharon came in a couple of bars too early on the French verses in The Partisan. My impression from the flow of the song, however, was that it might actually have been Leonard coming in a couple of bars too late, with only Sharon missing the sudden cue.

My 7 year old son is still on a high from accompanying me to the show. He sat enthralled through the entire 3 hours, and sang along to all his favourite tunes.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Does anyone know why the show was so much shorter in Christchurch? Dean mentioned a curfew as the reason for a shorter show in Wellington. Was this the case in Christchurch too?

Wendy

Return to “The World Tour 2010”