Announcement of the Nov 27 concert in Phnom Penh

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jarkko
Site Admin

Announcement of the Nov 27 concert in Phnom Penh

Post by jarkko »

An important announcement is going to be posted soon.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Spambeano

Re: Announcement of the Nov 27 concert in Phnom Penh

Post by Spambeano »

The concert has been "postponed".

Considering that the tickets are being refunded, they should be upfront about it and simply announce that the show has been cancelled.

My opinion was that they could not sell enough tickets. For the past several weeks, I would check the AEG online site and would check to see what the best available ticket was. The result didn't change for weeks. Not a good sign.

The post on the Mekong Sessions says it was a logistic issue. This also does not make sense, unless they couldn't get the equipment to the newly announced show in Vancouver in time. Perhaps the potential revenues to be generated at Vancouver's GM Place outweighed the charity show in Phnom Penh.

Either way, the fans in Cambodia got the short end of the stick.

Very disappointing.
Behemoth

Post by Behemoth »

I'd say all fans in Asia have been dealt a bad hand here since this was the only show scheduled for the continent. As I had earlier said to the management, they should have scheduled Hong Kong, Singapore, or Bangkok, and certainly there would have been enough tickets sold. I've already booked my concert tickets which I can get refunded, but just last night booked the air tix to Phnom Penh from Bangkok, and am not so much looking forward to grappling with Air Asia in order to get a refund.

Leonard ought to reschedule in one of the less corrupt cities in the region and give his fans in Asia a nice break!

Post by guest »

Well, sorry to say it but I'm not that surprised. I was following sales too and can see that even the 'cheap' seats where I bought were not moving much. Then there were the increasing numbers of discounted tickets for various groups/packages. Lucky I never got round to shelling out for my flights.

I would be amazed if the concert ever happens now. It was a nice idea but when it comes down to it an incredibly hard sell with those prices and logistical problems. We are also at the end of Leonard's tour by the looks of it.

Shame we couldn't have had a concert in Singapore, Hong Kong or maybe Japan instead but I guess it's too late now...
Spambeano

Post by Spambeano »

Yes, I think in the back of our minds this was a worry for all of us.

It stings to have taken time off work and bought a flight out to Phnom Penh for the show, and even worse that we will probably never know who "dropped the ball". I would discount any promises of rescheduling the show. Sounds like a new album is in the works. This will mean time in the recording studio followed by promotion in major markets.

This means Phnom Penh in 2020? Much love and respect for Mr. Cohen, but I don't expect him to be dragging himself around the globe playing shows indefinitely.
Behemoth

Post by Behemoth »

I'm sure it's because of some corrupt Cambodian official who wasn't satisfied with his slice of the pie so forced it all to be called off. And because of the notion of "saving face" in this part of the world the rest of us will never know what really happened.
Gibbons

Post by Gibbons »

I can't find words to express my disappointment and anger. To be honest, I was half expecting this. I'm not surprised they couldn't sell the tickets. Something was badly wrong from the start. So I get a refund. Well what about my airfare and hotel? Nothing will make up for my distress anyway.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Spambeano wrote:The post on the Mekong Sessions says it was a logistic issue.
Very disappointing.
It seens quite likely if not probable that the "postponement" is down to the same "insurmountable logistical issues" as the Hawaii cancellation. Having lost money on that, I really feel for those people who were travelling enormous distances to Cambodia for the show and who - unlike me - probably won't have another chance to go to a show.

I am VERY disappointed in the way that the final stage of the 2010 tour has been put together. There are of course many "winners" - people in Vancouver and Oakland and now Victoria who had not expected to get another show in the forseeable future but there are also many "losers". Not just the people who have lost out on cancelled & postponed shows but also people in the Bay area and the Seattle-Vancouver area who had already shelled out good money to travel to Las Vegas or Portland to see a final show because they did not think there was any opportunity closer to home. Not everyone can afford to go to multiple shows.

Not a good way to treat loyal fans IMHO.

Wendy
LHHUNTER

Post by LHHUNTER »

I feel much of the tour organization by AEG has been a bit shambolic: adding shows here and there and canceling others. Most artists establish the complete tour schedule right from the start and don't waiver from it. Many fans have booked tickets for shows in other cities or countries only to find out later LC is playing closer to home. If LC does tour again I hope it's not with AEG. :?
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

LHHUNTER wrote:If LC does tour again I hope it's not with AEG. :?
I doubt that will ever happen. There wouldn't have been any tour at all without AEG.

Wendy
tigerm

Post by tigerm »

Having worked in the concert promotions industry, seldom were 'logistics' the real reason for canceled events/tours. I can't recall one sold out event we promoted that we cancelled for logistical reasons-the only reason sold out events we ever cancelled were due to illness/death.
I did find it strange that Phnom Penh had a date, which wasn't supported by any other dates within that vicinity. The logistical costs involved in transporting a big touring production would be over $100K (this involves flights/hotels for all the touring players/staff). I would be very surprised if this sort of event in Phnom Penh could gross $250K in gate receipts needed to just cover costs. Likely AEG saw that it was losing a lot of money and pulled the plug.

As an accountant I understand the reasons, but as a music fan I have to denounce AEG for pulling this several times-not just with LC but other artists. In business they should be doing a demand/cost analysis for any tour date and actually researching markets. As much as any of us love LC, we all can't drop anything and fly the world for a tour date. Like the Hawaii date I believe they severely over-estimated demand and cynically used cancellation/postponements as a means to save money.
bene449

Post by bene449 »

Well, the only reason for the cancellations in Honolulu and Cambodia is poor management. They get plenty of praise when things are going smoothly; they should be big enough to hold their hands up when things go wrong.
Logistical reasons are not an excuse. Surely, all this was thought out before they finalised the dates and started selling tickets. Loyal fans have lost thousands on arranged flights, days booked off work, hotel bookings etc etc. The only real reason for cancelling a show is lack of ticket sales. The next question we need to ask is who was the genius who thought there were enough Cambodians who were willing to pay a months wages to see Leonard Cohen in concert. On another note, is there anyone here who would pay one months wages for a LC ticket; enough people in the UK complain about paying £100 for a ticket.

This is a terrible way to treat your fans. Concerts should still go ahead, for the sake of the few fans who have paid for tickets; Leonard should learn to take it on the chin if he doesn't make a hefty profit on each concert. I remember seeing the Electric Light Orchestra in concert and they still played, despite only about 200 fans turning up at the Glasgow Apollo.

I know what Sir Alan Sugar would be doing if this happened on the Apprentice.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

bene449 wrote:This is a terrible way to treat your fans. Concerts should still go ahead, for the sake of the few fans who have paid for tickets; Leonard should learn to take it on the chin if he doesn't make a hefty profit on each concert.
Thank you. This sums up my feelings exactly. Assuming the insurmountable logistical issues are related to poor ticket sales (though wasn't Phnom Penh supposed to be fully underwritten?) the only thing I would add is that this is not just a question of Leonard taking it on the chin. Everyone else involved - management, AEG and so on and so on - should also take their share on the chin. After all, they must have all made a tidy packet when things were going well.

And if the demise of the Phnom Penh and Hawaii shows is down to what I would call logistics (getting people and things from A to B on time) then shame on everyone involved with these dates. You check these things out before putting the tickets on sale. Twice in one tour is unbelievable - and unforgiveable.

Wendy
- still smarting at a sizeable loss on unused travel arrangements for Hawaii
margaret

Post by margaret »

I notice Jarkko has not actually made the "expected announcement" about this as yet. Or it could be somewhere else?

I agree with Wendy and others that if it has indeed been been cancelled for lack of ticket sales then management is at fault and shows terrible disregard for those who have made expensive arrangements to attend.
This tour has well covered it's costs by now and is into pure profit. It should be able to stand the occasional loss-making date and not expect a profit from every single venue.

Edit. Just noticed that the date for Cambodia is missing on the tour schedule :(
Last edited by margaret on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bene449

Post by bene449 »

Wendy, thanks for your reply. I expected to be shot down as many people are unwilling to accept any form of criticism of Leonard and his management. Fans don't seem to appreciate that this is a business and the only thing that matters at the end of the day is the profit margin. Cancellations of 2 concerts prove this to be the case. This is a moneymaking machine and, if there is no money, then there is no concert. (I am aware of the charity donations from the tours).
The lesson here is not to support any concerts that are being held in places like Cambodia and Hawaii. Stick to the main countries that have always supported Leonard. Don't risk your hard earned money because, at the end of the day, the management will not take your feelings into account when they decide to go ahead with a concert or not.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”