CONCERT REPORT: Auckland, New Zealand, October 28 & 29,2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
neo

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Auckland, New Zealand, Oct. 28-29,2010

Post by neo »

Thank you very much LadyLilley!
What sad religions they want us to believe.
LadyLilley

Post by LadyLilley »

You're welcome Neo, the uploading is like watching grass grow. still to come, Feels So Good and The Darkness.

Lilley
NZJaguar

Post by NZJaguar »

I dare say the truncated ending leaves an unpleasant taste in one's mouth!

I was expecting another encore but the stampede that left obviously saw the end to that. I doubt Leonard took any offense - to be 76 and outstay the Auckland crowd is simply another trophy for his cabinet! And it wasn't out of disrespect so much as misunderstanding. A show with more than 2 encores is foreign outside the realm of Leonard.

I did hang around after with the hope of catching The Man. Unfortunately I was told he was all tucked up. I did catch Mr. Bob Metzger though.

Lovely evening!
LadyLilley

Post by LadyLilley »

I also managed to take a few photographs, they are not as 'crisp' as they should be, but some lovely visions of The Man himself.

Lilley
Leonard Cohen at his best
Leonard Cohen at his best
[attachment=2
Attachments
Leonard giving us his all
Leonard giving us his all
Great to see Sharon back!
Great to see Sharon back!
neo

Post by neo »

Whoah! Great colors!
What sad religions they want us to believe.
LadyLilley

Post by LadyLilley »

The colours were fantastic, but at the cost of good lighting. But I'm happy! :D

Lilley
LadyLilley

Post by LadyLilley »

cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

LadyLilley wrote:And Feels So Good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzqYL1GEcw
thanks from someone on the other side of the world for capturing this.
another significant change of lyrics. iam enjoying witnesing the slow evolution of this song
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

LadyLilley wrote:And a short clip of Mr Cohen's final words spoken after singing Closing Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KthWvSWcv60
nice to hear leonards final words so clearly. the incurable optimists among us will read something into those and take heart- and then scrutinise the final words in las vegas :!:
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

Thanks Lilley for the beautiful photos and the vid!
'Feels so Good' is turning into one of my favorites...
Its rhythm has become pretty sensual.. I think it has movie theme song qualities.. the kind that people play over and over again as they find themselves in every verse...

--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

sharon.e wrote:

Thanks Lilley for the beautiful photos and the vid!
'Feels so Good' is turning into one of my favorites...
Its rhythm has become pretty sensual.. I think it has movie theme song qualities.. the kind that people play over and over again as they find themselves in every verse...

--Sharon
Thanks Lilley for this - and your other videos! We were hoping and waiting. :D

And ditto to what Sharon says about this song.
You can get pleasantly lost in the lyrics and the music.
And the arrangements are gorgeous - as with all his new songs.
imyourwoman

Post by imyourwoman »

Absolutely beautiful, thankyou for posting.
LadyLilley

Post by LadyLilley »

You would think that a concert would be the same night after night given that the performers don't change and the set-list remains pretty much intact.
But each one is unique. It consists of a mass of people brought together in one place and together we share an experience in time.
On the one hand you have the incredible band which in itself is a living breathing thing made up of extremely talented people. Leonard Cohen is the head but they are all part of a heart, a Unified Heart.
Beating and pulsing, echoing around the stadium, to be felt by every individual seated there.
We the audience, form another Unified Heart which is passive, waiting for the first beat...
When it comes the instantaneous response is unrehearsed, yet from that moment on it will be unanimous and no individual can change it.
The concert has started.

Auckland 2009 was electrifying, that huge mass of people rose quickly to greet Leonard and his band and from alpha to omega we held them close and expressed our admiration song after song. We all returned to our own mundane little lives feeling as if they were a little better.

Auckland 2010 second show, was different, gone was the nervous excitement of a first meeting, replacing it was the loving comfort of friends who are well acquainted. Gone was the need to rush to the door with open arms, instead, just a smile and 'come on in'.

Mr Cohen brings with him an exquisite group of people who individually bring perfection to every song they deliver. Solos give us a taste of their prowess and leave us asking for more.

We welcomed the songs and stories that we all knew and loved so well. But the new ones came to us all like intimate caresses. Leonard holding his guitar like a beautiful woman, he is relaxed and his body moves around her. This is a new Leonard, self assured and confident. He is doing what he wants.

This man has sex appeal that surpasses any celebrity I know of. That mellow voice which could lead a woman anywhere he pleases. He moves his body during a performance of The Darkness and this is not a teenager’s awkward actions, but an experienced man who knows the lesson of taking his time and enjoying what he is doing.

When it came time for us all to leave it was with regret. No one wants an evening to end when it has been shared by good friends. The sadness is sweet with memories that will not be forgotten and we have the music which will continue on long after we are forgotten. Thank you to each one of you who for a while were part of that Unified Heart. Its beat was sensual, the warmth was real, now we will be left with the longing that missing you brings.

Lilley

The Darkness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_J2fXt3jWM
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

LadyLilley wrote: This is a new Leonard, self assured and confident. He is doing what he wants.

This man has sex appeal that surpasses any celebrity I know of. That mellow voice which could lead a woman anywhere he pleases. He moves his body during a performance of The Darkness and this is not a teenager’s awkward actions, but an experienced man who knows the lesson of taking his time and enjoying what he is doing.

When it came time for us all to leave it was with regret. No one wants an evening to end when it has been shared by good friends. The sadness is sweet with memories that will not be forgotten and we have the music which will continue on long after we are forgotten. Thank you to each one of you who for a while were part of that Unified Heart. Its beat was sensual, the warmth was real, now we will be left with the longing that missing you brings.

Lilley

The Darkness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_J2fXt3jWM
Lilley, an absolutely FANTASTIC review! I love your use of the English language! Brilliant. Indeed it is all excellent but these last few lines are so eloquent and beautiful and even though I wasn't there I feel you must have captured the mood perfectly. Thanks so much for writing and sharing this and of course for the video :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
jepsternz

Post by jepsternz »

Several months ago I was introduced to, what was for me at least, the "new" Leonard Cohen by being "forced" to watch the Live in London DVD whilst staying with friends. My pleasant surprise at the quality of the first few songs graduated to awe as the concert progressed into an almost disciple like advocate of the man, the musicians, backing singers and arrangements. I bought my own copy the next day and watched it many times and cajoled others into doing the same.

I was somewhat distraught to miss out on getting tickets to the Wellington shows but by chance was in Auckland on Thursday Night and managed to get a ticket. I loved every minute of an evening I will never forget. I really appreciated the similarity to the DVD concert and with new songs and new dialogue it was everything I hoped for an more.

1963 was the first year I started going to live gigs and I have never been to such a complete concert where every aspect of the performance was woven into a rich experience. The people who wrote the lukewarm notes in their reviews do not reflect the exaltation of the majority. As we poured into the streets of Auckland around midnight there was an absolute buzz in the air from young and old alike joyfully reminiscing on legendary performances.

Early in the concert Leonard informed us that "we'll give you everything we've got." We knew they would and they did.

This was a superb value for money concert laced with humour, humility, generosity, sincerity, masterful musicianship and wonderful harmonies. I thank every contributor to the evening including my fellow "anxious audience" members who refused to stop appreciating the excellence of what they had witnessed.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”