CONCERT REPORT: Auckland, New Zealand, October 28 & 29,2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Auckland, New Zealand, Oct. 28-29,2010

Post by sturgess66 »

Here is the report of the sound check in Warsaw. Jarkko posted a link to the blog of DANIEL WYSZOGRODZKI -
http://www.wyszogrodzki.pl/index.php?op ... &Itemid=31
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23190&start=30#p253598
At the concert of Leonard Cohen - my favorite artist - I visit for 25 years and has repeatedly written about them. Each one is unique, the magic of this man is a cause everyone is different. But the concert in Warsaw on 10 October Torwar this year recorded in the memory in a unique way. I witnessed history.

Before he took on the nature of the historic day, I witnessed something more than history - a magical moment. 15:00 hours on an empty stage with a guitar enters Torwar Leonard Cohen. It begins with an attempt to sound (soundcheck). He is alone on stage, I sit alone in the audience, prepared to take a few hours five thousand spectators. Leonard palcuje some Spanish guitar chords - guitar players know what I mean. E major, F major, G major. Surprise in A minor, and the characteristic Fingersex at breakneck speed. What that is, "Avalanche"?

No. Cohen begins to sing and to my surprise, it was his very popular and rarely performed song "The Night Comes On." And what's more, the execution is not the end. Soundman has long set the "vocals", bass strings are no longer buzz in the guitar and sings Cohen - over and over again the same thing, incidentally repeatedly losing words. Meanwhile, the musicians begin to descend. I join him in turn. And when at the microphone are celestial two sisters Webb, the song acquires its full momentum. Not only am I the only spectator "private" concert Cohen, but this version takes more than 50 minutes! Played and they sound fantastic. But this is by no means the end of the warm-up. You are about to hear my favorite song "The Future", then - the first time in my life - the premiere song "Feels So Good." Perform even the "Dance Me To The End Of Love", which always starts from the concerts.
dce

Re: Travel Around Australia and New Zealand

Post by dce »

While eagerly awaiting tonight's second show in Auckland, I took several hours today to wander around some of the beautiful parks and gardens that this city has. For those who have never visited ... it's a truly beautiful city. Oh, and I was reminded while walking around exactly how friendly and polite Kiwis are ...

Some of the highlights of my day:

One fantastic innovation that NZ has, which has yet to reach my part of the world, is the idea of a "bowl" of coffee. Here's my breakfast brew:

A park not too far from the venue of LC's shows:

A truly 'green' building:

OBLC: I hope that Leonard and the rest of the UHTC managed to get a little time off to have a wander around Auckland to visit places like this!

(and no, this post isn't sponsored by the local tourist authority :D )

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video - from October 28th concert -

Uploaded by "DimNarz" - Thanks!!

"Who By Fire"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gVeiq3Vjo
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/mu ... n-Auckland
Gig review: Leonard Cohen in Auckland

MICHAEL FIELD - Stuff Last updated 09:35 29/10/2010

SPELLBINDING: Leonard Cohen performs at Vector Arena in Auckland.

Gig reviews Gig review: Leonard Cohen in Auckland Gig review: The Smashing Pumpkins Gig review: Simply Red in Auckland Gig review: Adam Lambert Gig review: Metallica in Auckland Gig review: 30 Seconds to Mars Gig review: Pixies in Christchurch Review: The Temper Trap in Auckland Review: Florence and the Machine Gig review: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club It used to be, that if life was such that ending it all was an option, pouring a big glass of red wine, climbing into a warm bath and drifting away to Leonard Cohen's music was the ideal way of doing it all.

Now Cohen has become that warm bath itself; poetic lyrics and impeccable music.

At Auckland's Vector Arena his return was marked with some anxiety; Cohen had been a sensational return from the dead just over a year ago with sell out concerts in Auckland and Wellington.

At the age of 76, each year is something of an extra-plus, and Cohen is not exactly pioneering new material any more.

As he told the anxious audience, he did not know when he would be back (which is what he said last time he was here) "we'll give you everything we've got."

He did; some 30 songs and poems, three encores and a weary audience on Auckland streets just after midnight looking for taxis.

Cohen famously hit the road again in his 70s when he lost his wealth in a dispute with his manager. His considerable baby boomer audience had never really forgotten him and he returned in triumph with a world tour.

Although named differently from the last trip to New Zealand - now the "Unified Heart Touring Company" - the show is essentially the same. His classic "Sisters of Mercy" featured in Auckland this time; it did not last time.

Cohen is not about carving out new fans; he sings to loyalists and they adore him for it.

He seldom talks between songs; when he does it is soft and friendly, ever respectful of his audience and of his fellow musicians.

It is as if he needs to apologise for the at times savagery of the lyrics.

I wouldn't mind it if he spoke some more and sang a few less songs; Cohen is a man who has lived, a man with a story to tell.

"Can a man at 76 be sexy," he laughed, quoting some blog, and cracking up at the answer someone had provided: "in a repulsive sort of way".

Cohen did the powerful High Mass finish with "Hallelujah" but his audience wanted more - and got much more.

Somewhere about 11.30, and still going strong, he showed all the signs of outlasting his audience.

""Hate to keep you up, it's a school night," he said.

Cohen's concerts might not be especially new but they are instead a master-class in civility, music and poetry.

Leonard Cohen
October 28: Vector Arena
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Clementine wrote:
I nearly wept with laughter when Leonard quoted the blog comments asking whether a 76 year old could be sexy, and the three new songs - not noted by either reviewer - were sublime.
Clementine - do you have a link to that blog?

Or - anyone else have a link?
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

dce wrote:I think the crowd tonight missed out on an encore because of the haste with which many, many people vacated their seats and started filing out after Closing time had finished. The house lights stayed down for a while after the band left the stage and some of the Front of House staff seemed to be getting ready for another set while also looking out over the sea of departing people. I guess a decision got made and the lights came up ... and it was all done. I'm not sure why so many people were so eager to leave .... maybe everyone had to get back to their babysitters before midnight. Either way, this lead to this show being 2 songs (and about 15 minutes shorter), with no I Tried To Leave You.
Dean (from Adelaide)
I think this is a problem of misinterpretaion. At the US concerts I attended, I had to keep telling the surrounding folk who were standing up donning their jackets, not to leave, he is coming back. They thanked me profusely afterwards. It got to the point, I starting warning people in advance at the intermission. The way the segments are structured, people are conditioned to think, well the concert is really over.

Perhaps if "Closing Time" was the last last last song, that would avoid misinterpretation?

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
neo

Post by neo »

11-26-48_29-10-10.JPG
REVIEW: Leonard Cohen - Thursday, 28 October - Vector Arena, Auckland
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 by Nick Bollinger

Did Leonard Cohen really say ‘blog’? The word sounds comical, almost rude, coming from the mouth of a man who selects his words with exquisite care, and whose language generally seems to belong to some Biblical age, not the 21st century.

The Canadian bard is speaking from the stage of the Vector Arena, towards the end of the first of two Auckland concerts on his latest visit. Yes, he’s been reading a blog, he tells us, where the question was asked: can a man be sexy at 76? The audience roars in the affirmative and Cohen permits himself a small smile before delivering the self-deprecating punchline. Yes, the blog had confirmed - in a repulsive sort of way.

Of course Cohen is flirting with us. For the past few hours we have borne witness to a 76-year old man who, in his elegant suit and trilby, is unquestionably sexy, as he skips across the stage and serenades us with some of the most profound songs in popular music.

Cohen’s band is the same one he brought with him last year on his first New Zealand visit, and they match Cohen’s presence with their own elegance. The nine musician/singers take turns at showing their virtuosity in solos, but are equally impressive in their simmering ensemble accompaniments. The predominance of minor keys in Cohen’s songs leads them to a kind of gypsy-jazz fusion that feels more Mediterranean than Canadian.

The set-list differs little from last year’s shows here, or the excellent Live In London DVD. The difference is being there, in the moment, as Cohen reinhabits his great songs in front of your eyes and ears. However many times he may have performed ‘Suzanne’, ‘Bird On The Wire’, ‘Dance Me To The End Of Love’ or any of the countless classics he plays in a two-part show that lasts an extraordinary three and a half hours, there is no sense in which he is dialling it in. He closes his eyes, clenches fists around the microphone, and goes as deeply into the songs as he possibly can. It is a ritual, a kind of communion, and audience are as crucial as the performer. Any notion that Cohen’s music might be too intimate or personal for an arena vanishes, as the venue seems to shrink.

Cohen’s voice is even richer than on recent records, and vastly more expressive than on the famous early albums. He luxuriates in his rumbling bass range, which he drops into for sepulchral effect, but he also has surprising strength in his upper register, which he puts to good use in the choruses of ‘Hallelujah’, his great hymn to human frailty.

Personal highlights include a tender ‘Chelsea Hotel’ (during which he raises an index finger skyward, as though addressing an angel), a terrific ‘Tower Of Song’ with his own eccentric keyboard accompaniment, and a harrowing ‘Avalanche’. But the whole thing is characterised by a gentle intensity that barely lets up.

Also of note is the brief opening set by Bic Runga. Accompanied only by Kody Neilson (of The Mint Chicks) she mixed back catalogue classics with tantalising glimpses of her next record, currently a work in progress.
http://www.realgroove.co.nz/News.aspx?id=477
What sad religions they want us to believe.
neo

Post by neo »

sturgess66 wrote:
Clementine wrote:
I nearly wept with laughter when Leonard quoted the blog comments asking whether a 76 year old could be sexy, and the three new songs - not noted by either reviewer - were sublime.
Clementine - do you have a link to that blog?

Or - anyone else have a link?

This one?

http://www.soulpancake.com/question/434 ... -sexy.html
What sad religions they want us to believe.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Haha. Thanks Neo. :lol: :lol:
Which guy from the godfather? Al Pacino I guess. 8)

As for people leaving early - it happens at other shows (I think I read that it happened at Silgo II ?) but this seemed to be more noticeable?
The difference here is that the UHTC apparently decided to pack it up. Put it to bed. Tuck it in. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Another difference here is that there was an opening act - so - not sure about this - but that would make the show later?
But - maybe comments in the papers like "some 30 songs and poems, three encores and a weary audience on Auckland streets just after midnight looking for taxis" or "there were tired moments" may have figured into the decision. :roll: :roll: *Sigh*
I am taking to heart Clementine's comments that at least one of the reviewers was used to doing business reports - not reviewing concerts/shows - and felt it cool and necessary to make critical remarks - whether warranted or not.

In any event - on to Wellington!!

But - still hoping for more video from Auckland.
Especially - "Night Comes On." :D :D
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dce

Re: Travel Around Australia and New Zealand

Post by dce »

Concert Report: Auckland, October 29

Another spirited performance last night from Leonard and the band, maintaining the very high musical standard of the Thursday show (Oct 28). The audience this time around seemed a fair bit more buzzing. Down in the forward section where I was sitting (row 15, right hand side ... not as lucky this time around) the band received its first of several standing ovations mere seconds after setting foot on stage. Lots of huge applause -- in all the usual kinds of places, and some others as well -- and some rather nice audience singing during the later choruses of Hallelujah and pretty much all the choruses of So Long, Marianne. Interestingly enough, the singers were almost exclusively women ...

Vector Arena -- a big sports arena / entertainment dome thingy -- was packed to the rafters ... literally. After his first song, LC made one of his few spoken comments of the night, thanking everyone from coming and (looking up at those in the very back, very very high-up seats) climbing these heights. "Just one caution", he quipped, "In the upper realms, please do not lean too far forward ... we don't want an Avalanche of able-bodied Aucklanders!"

I've posted the set-list elsewhere, but it was basically identical to that of the October 28 show with one significant change -- the substitution of Night Comes On for Avalanche in the second set. This was performed pretty much solo by LC on guitar ... there may have been some very subtle backing from Neil and the girls (as is the case on some of the other 'solo' songs), but it was really just Leonard.

The other notable absence was a third encore -- I've already noted my guess as to why.

Some specific things I noticed on the night:
  • Everybody Knows: the lyric "take one last look at this mighty heart" replaced "sacred heart". As before, Leonard sang some other lyrics under a couple of the choruses -- pretty loudly, but away from the mic, so as to be inaudible to the audience. Maybe he's singing to the rest of the band? :D
  • The Darkness: over the bass-heavy intro to this song, LC played his flamenco-style guitar picking pattern (the same one he plays at the beginning of Suzanne to disguise it so the audience doesn't immediately go nuts as soon as he starts playing) -- I hadn't noticed that before, so it could be new.
  • Who By Fire: A really big applause for Javier's long intro. One interesting thing I noticed for the first time -- while he is playing this, Dino plays a single long drone note on the Sax ... because the solo intro is about four and a half minutes now, that's a continuous single note which is 4.5 minutes. Almost certainly the longest note of the concert :D Not to mention some nice circular breathing, I imagine.
  • Chelsea Hotel #2: A minor lyrical mis-step, ably covered. Right at the beginning, when starting on the line "You were talking so brave and so sweet", LC skips some words, actually singing "talking so sweet" (omitting the brave). Because, I guess, line can't have anything after "sweet" (otherwise it wouldn't rhyme with "limousines wait in the street" later, he just padded it out with silence. Nice recovery.
  • Band Intros in Anthem: There seems to be a bit of a running joke going around the increasingly convoluted introduction LC gives to Rafael -- last night Leonard described his contribution to the band as "laying it down, bringing it home, putting it to bed, tucking it in and kissing it goodnight". Tonight he added "clipping its toenails" to the list (which is an odd image). This got a good laugh (as referred to in Joey's photo blog). In the intro, LC also described Rafael as a "connoisseur of silence."
  • Tower of Song: Leonard's keyboard solo got a healthy applause which made him stop for a moment, smiling and seemingly just about to say thank you. But his smile brought about an even longer and louder applause before he could thank us for being "too generous".
  • Boogie Street: Sharon's performance was particularly well rewarded with a big response from the crowd ... lots of applause, cheering and a couple of shouts of affirmation.
  • Hallelujah: This time around the obligatory name check was: "didn't come to Vector Arena to fool ya".
  • I'm Your Man: As with the previous show, it was "I'll wear this old man's mask for you"
  • Second Encore: A minor moment of slight panic as LC bounded on stage .. and almost tripped on something. He righted him self and got to his spot, but there was a bit of a smile of relief between him and some of the band
  • Closing Time: I don't know what exactly LC sang in the place of "The Holy Spirit's crying where's the beef" ... it was something different, but maybe just a jumble of syllables caused by getting tongue-tied

The tour heads south to Wellington now ... next show on Sunday!

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
MasterThief

Post by MasterThief »

Thanks for your prompt reports Dean. Along with Joey's photos, it's almost like being there. I am coming up to Wellington tomorrow for my first show this tour. The anticipation is so sweet.
Melbourne 6 & 7 Mar 1980, Melbourne 25 May 1985, Wellington 20 Jan 2009, Auckland 22 Jan 2009, Melbourne 5 Feb 2009, Wellington 31 Oct 2010, Christchurch 3 Nov 2010, Christchurch 14 Dec 2013
MasterThief

Post by MasterThief »

Here is a sublime rendition of Nights Comes On from 1985 with Anjani Thomas on vocals and piano - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB6qE1W5fUM
Melbourne 6 & 7 Mar 1980, Melbourne 25 May 1985, Wellington 20 Jan 2009, Auckland 22 Jan 2009, Melbourne 5 Feb 2009, Wellington 31 Oct 2010, Christchurch 3 Nov 2010, Christchurch 14 Dec 2013
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

MasterThief wrote:Here is a sublime rendition of Nights Comes On from 1985 with Anjani Thomas on vocals and piano - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB6qE1W5fUM
Aaagh I saw the 1st few words and thought brilliant....... and the saw 1985...... While it is great I so want to see an upload from last night! I really really hope someone captured this :!: Still only Who By Fire on the Tube :shock:

Enjoy Wellington! You are in for a treat :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Clementine

Post by Clementine »

I was in the second row and it was really disconcerting as 'celebrity' guests in front of us left after 'Hallelujah,' and a couple more after 'Take this Waltz'. By the time 'Closing Time' finished the audience was all over the place - rather like Brown's cows really!

It was devastating when the band didn't come back at this stage. It felt so wrong to end without 'I Tried to Leave You.' Has this ever happened before?

I did think he was fading a little when the Webbs were singing 'If it be Your Will,' and the audience hadn't engaged with him nearly as well, so he wasn't as chatty as on the previous night. I hope that wasn't what led him to pack it in early though!

I will never see Leonard again and I felt I didn't have the chance to say my mental goodbyes. I had one last dry tissue left and I'd been saving it especially.

However, while Thursday was - to me - a much warmer, more fun show than last night's - not to mention longer - it's not about rating them, of course. The fact this dear man whose music has accompanied me on most of my adult life journey was here at all, just metres away was simply wonderful and if I didn't get to thank him the way I wanted to last night, I'm doing it now.

Leonard thank you. You've brought the most incredible joy and I know you will continue to do so, long after you've put down the microphone and hung up your Fedora!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

neo wrote:
11-26-48_29-10-10.JPG
REVIEW: Leonard Cohen - Thursday, 28 October - Vector Arena, Auckland
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 by Nick Bollinger

Did Leonard Cohen really say ‘blog’? The word sounds comical, almost rude, coming from the mouth of a man who selects his words with exquisite care, and whose language generally seems to belong to some Biblical age, not the 21st century.

The Canadian bard is speaking from the stage of the Vector Arena, towards the end of the first of two Auckland concerts on his latest visit. Yes, he’s been reading a blog, he tells us, where the question was asked: can a man be sexy at 76? The audience roars in the affirmative and Cohen permits himself a small smile before delivering the self-deprecating punchline. Yes, the blog had confirmed - in a repulsive sort of way.

Of course Cohen is flirting with us. For the past few hours we have borne witness to a 76-year old man who, in his elegant suit and trilby, is unquestionably sexy, as he skips across the stage and serenades us with some of the most profound songs in popular music.

Cohen’s band is the same one he brought with him last year on his first New Zealand visit, and they match Cohen’s presence with their own elegance. The nine musician/singers take turns at showing their virtuosity in solos, but are equally impressive in their simmering ensemble accompaniments. The predominance of minor keys in Cohen’s songs leads them to a kind of gypsy-jazz fusion that feels more Mediterranean than Canadian.

The set-list differs little from last year’s shows here, or the excellent Live In London DVD. The difference is being there, in the moment, as Cohen reinhabits his great songs in front of your eyes and ears. However many times he may have performed ‘Suzanne’, ‘Bird On The Wire’, ‘Dance Me To The End Of Love’ or any of the countless classics he plays in a two-part show that lasts an extraordinary three and a half hours, there is no sense in which he is dialling it in. He closes his eyes, clenches fists around the microphone, and goes as deeply into the songs as he possibly can. It is a ritual, a kind of communion, and audience are as crucial as the performer. Any notion that Cohen’s music might be too intimate or personal for an arena vanishes, as the venue seems to shrink.

Cohen’s voice is even richer than on recent records, and vastly more expressive than on the famous early albums. He luxuriates in his rumbling bass range, which he drops into for sepulchral effect, but he also has surprising strength in his upper register, which he puts to good use in the choruses of ‘Hallelujah’, his great hymn to human frailty.

Personal highlights include a tender ‘Chelsea Hotel’ (during which he raises an index finger skyward, as though addressing an angel), a terrific ‘Tower Of Song’ with his own eccentric keyboard accompaniment, and a harrowing ‘Avalanche’. But the whole thing is characterised by a gentle intensity that barely lets up.

Also of note is the brief opening set by Bic Runga. Accompanied only by Kody Neilson (of The Mint Chicks) she mixed back catalogue classics with tantalising glimpses of her next record, currently a work in progress.
This is from a blog called HarrowKimchi. A nice little piece written by "Jenna" - and Jenna is the photographer who took the picture at the beginning of the article above, posted by Neo.

Editing - oops - the picture is not showing above - so here it is -

http://harrowkimchi.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... cohen.html
Friday, October 29, 2010
Leonard Cohen
On Wednesday, I found out that I would be taking pictures of the Leonard Cohen concert the next day at the Vector Arena. I was given a very scary looking contract that informed me that I could only take pictures during the first song, no flash and no publishing other than the issue of the publication it was intended for (in my case, The Groove Guide.)

When I rocked up to the venue, I was told that I was the only photographer and was escorted right to the front of the stage and with about 10,000 people behind me, I got to snap my little heart out of the silverest of all silver foxes in the universe. Oh my, when he fell to his knees to sing about a metre in front of me, I almost wet my pants with happiness.

After I handed over my camera, I was very kindly seated in fifth row centre to be entertained over four hours of stunning music. Leonard Cohen was captivating and absolutely gracious towards his amazing band and his audience. He took his hat off to listen to the solos and to bow and the end of each song.

It was such an incredible night!

An image I took is on the Real Groove website.
Posted by Jenna at 11:58 PM

Return to “The World Tour 2010”