CONCERT REPORT: Moscow, Russia, October 7, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
astranger

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Moscow, Russia, Oct. 7, 2010

Post by astranger »

any word on a confirmed setlist? I take it that No Cure for Love was excluded and Closing Time was the last song. That's all I know ("I do not know the rest")
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
Is there anyone who was written down the setlist for us? Please share it here or on the Setlists 2010 thread, thanks!

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
TGuy

Post by TGuy »

This is the best that I can remember, as I did not write anything down during the show (I'm quite certain these were all the songs played, I may have gotten the sequence wrong with some songs):

01 Dance Me to the End of Love
02 The Future
03 Bird on the Wire
04 Everybody Knows
05 Who By Fire
06 The Darkness
07 Born in Chains
08 Chelsea Hotel #2
09 Waiting For The Miracle
10 Anthem

Intermission

11 Tower of Song
12 Suzanne
13 Avalanche
14 Sisters of Mercy
15 The Gypsy's Wife
16 Feels so good
17 The Partisan
18 Hallelujah
19 I'm Your Man
20 Take This Waltz

Encore I

21 So Long Marianne
22 First We Take Manhattan

Encore II

23 Closing Time
2008: Prague, l'Olympia Paris | 2009: Tel Aviv | 2010: Moscow | 2012: l'Olympia Paris
"So come my friends, be not afraid. We are so lightly here ..."
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

Was there no "If It Be Your Will" in Moscow?

Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
TGuy

Post by TGuy »

Unfortunately no "If It Be Your Will" and only 2 Encores - very short show due to "Kremlin" rules.
2008: Prague, l'Olympia Paris | 2009: Tel Aviv | 2010: Moscow | 2012: l'Olympia Paris
Muscovite

Post by Muscovite »

There was indeed no "If it be your will". It appeared the final encore of perhaps three songs had to be skipped due to what Mr Cohen described as "the curfew". My companions who had not seen the concert before were pleased nonetheless with all they saw. Personally I left with a little disappointment. I had seen the concert three times before. The first time was in Edinburgh when I left in a trance. The impact was so great that I flew from Moscow to London the following year with tickets for consecutive nights at the O2. I left the second evening in London more entranced than in Edinburgh. So my disappointment at the Moscow event should be put into some context! I missed Sharon Robinson throughout. The set without her is no more complete than it would be without Javier Mas, Dino Soldo or any of the other great musicians. Charley Webb looked tired. Hattie Webb, who was leaping for joy at the O2, looked subdued. Then there was the venue. An evening with Leonard Cohen and friends should be joyful. The kremlin is imposing and spectacular but it isn't a place of joy. At least it isn't for me. The conservatory or the new stage of the Bolshoi would, in hindsight, have been better. Also, the start time and the security meant that people were streaming in throughout the first set. This always happens at weekday shows in the kremlin palace. Finally, as mentioned previously in this thread, the ticket pricing was obscene (double London and more than double Edinburgh) and many who would have loved to have seen the show were priced out. The excuse that such prices are usual for Moscow is true but that doesn't make it right. But what can be done? Perhaps my disappointment is also in part down to the realisation that every time I see the concert I feel it will probably be the last time. But who knows? I have the DVD of a London show forever and, for now at least, I can still imagine I'll get another chance to see the perfect offering.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Muscovite - glad you and your companions were able to get tickets and attend. :D :D
Now you need the DVD of "Songs From the Road" to go with "Live From London." :D
And I hope they put out "More Songs From the Road" from this last leg of the tour because of the new songs and performances of some of the older songs - and as well - the performances at these shows have been astounding.

More video - :D

Uploaded by "deliaSanMarco" - Thanks!

"First We Take Manhattan" - very enthusiastic audience response - and excellent video of skipping :D :D :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKCWLrXzqKk

"Hallelujah" Leonard does not sing the last few bars of the song - stands still - arms at his sides - and the look on his face (seen from the screen) is remarkable! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvpU9by0eQc
Muscovite

Post by Muscovite »

Yes, it's always a privilege to be there. First we take Manhattan was the usual energy injection and I also enjoyed hearing Avalanche live for the first time. Waiting for the Miracle is one of the most popular songs here and was also a highlight. Nobody should blame the tour management for the ticket prices. This is a feature of the locality. I am certainly looking forward to picking up Songs from the Road. Another complete concert on DVD from later in the tour would also be welcome as I don't think the pinnacle had quite been reached when Live in London was recorded. Then there is the promise of the works in progress possibly being released on a new studio album (the first since Dear Heather occupied my CD player for much of a winter). All the best - the tour still has some lively legs on it and I envy those (with friendly envy) with tickets for the remaining shows!
Last edited by Muscovite on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TGuy

Post by TGuy »

This is the first part of my concert report up until the morning of the show.

Part I - Travels To and In Moscow

Going to the Moscow concert seemed both a daunting and an exciting opportunity. By the time I had made up my mind on going to a fourth concert (after Prague and Olympia in '08 and Tel Aviv in '09) and securing the necessary finances - and, more importantly, some spousal support…, it seemed that Moscow was the best option out of the last few concerts in Europe which I could attend.

For me the rather high ticket pricing meant that there were still good seats available within my budget for the trip. This was also helpful when my Dad decided to join me just a week before the show - as a seat was still available just a number of places down the row from mine. When you are 38, with children of your own, travelling abroad with your Dad is an opportunity not to be missed.

So, with some apprehension (and sans actual tickets - as no print-your-tkt option was available), me and Dad boarded a flight to Moscow leaving Tel-Aviv on noon October 5th.

On the morning of our first day we headed to pick up our tickets from "Kassir" main office. The tkt office was actually there and they had our tickets (Phew...).

Mission successful.
On the way to the tkt office - quite a walk
On the way to the tkt office - quite a walk
I will skip the rest of our travels on our first day in Moscow but will note, for those who have never been there, that it was mainly uneventful - we were not stopped at the border and carried away for questioning by the KGB (I don’t think they are called that anymore), nor had any unpleasant (or pleasant, for that matter) encounters with any Russian mob, nor held-up or pick-pocketed or visited by any other calamity that one might associate with a trip down (ex)Soviet lane. Even the weather was nice (sunny, partly cloudy, and reasonably above freezing).
A view of Red Square with Lenin's Mausoleum on the left (my Dad forgot his camera at home and I was counting on him bringing it -  so we had to do with a phone camera - I had to persuade Dad that there was really no need to by a new camera)
A view of Red Square with Lenin's Mausoleum on the left (my Dad forgot his camera at home and I was counting on him bringing it - so we had to do with a phone camera - I had to persuade Dad that there was really no need to by a new camera)
We then returned to the city center and had a nice time wondering around Red Square, the Kremlin and some other "Must See" streets (p.s. Moscow is one of the cleanest cities I have ever seen). Our feet appropriately aching we turned in for the night to wake up to "the Morning of the Show".
Old Arbat Street - a "Must see"
Old Arbat Street - a "Must see"
More notes and recollections in Part II - The Morning of the Show.
Last edited by TGuy on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

TGuy - looking forward to Part II - :D

More video - :D

Uploaded by "Siempremitya" - Thanks!

"Hallelujah"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm-V4TrzUGU
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Am awaiting the continuation of your travelogue :D
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
TGuy

Post by TGuy »

Part II - The Morning of The Show Until the Kremlin Doors Open

On the Morning of the Show, exiting one of the Metro stations near Red Square (really named pretty or beautiful square, which it is) we were presented by what might be termed "heavy" police presence. The whole Square / Kremlin complex was cordoned-off and barricaded with night-stick bearing policeman stationed ominously every few meters. Police cars, stationed ambulances and assorted armed uniformed persons were abound. I have no idea for whose benefit this was (although LC is certainly a VIP and international treasure, I suspect that some high ranking official was the cause for the commotion).

After strolling down what is as close to Moscow's 5th Avenue, we returned to the hotel with plans for an early after-noon departure to Kremlin Palace - in plenty of time for the concert.
Kremlin Kutafya Tower entrance
Kremlin Kutafya Tower entrance
With the police presence now all gone we made our way to the main Kremlin entrance. After emptying our pockets and walking through the metal detectors (security here was even stricter than in Tel Aviv!), we arrived at the venue, still closed with an hour and a half before the show.
Outside Kremlin Palace
Outside Kremlin Palace

It was then that I spotted Roscoe Beck and Rafael Bernardo Gayol, cameras slung around their necks, walking around, photographing the views from Kremlin Palace.
One invariably losses ones' cool (what little one has of it) in these situations - but I gathered myself and proceeded to walk towards them. I asked if I may impose for autographs. "Sure" they said. Not a problem if I had come prepared - but I wasn’t. The back of Moscow's Metro printed from the internet and a kitschy matryoshka doll souvenir pen I had just bought will have to do - of course the pen didn’t work. Luckily Rafael offered his.

I must have not been speaking very clearly when they asked me to spell my name as they both wrote "Gui" (my shaky "y" must have sounded like an "I"). They were very gracious and kind, I managed to ask them how they were feeling ("great") and to tell them which concerts I have attended before. They thanked me. Roscoe commented that this was his fourth time in Moscow, I replied that it was my first. It was then they asked me where I was from and I answered. I felt I had imposed on them long enough and wished them a great show - they thanked me again and after shaking their hands I departed. Should have asked Dad to take a picture - but didn't.

An hour to the show and the Palace's gates finally opened.
Concert Poster - first one I saw in Moscow, at the entrance to the Palace
Concert Poster - first one I saw in Moscow, at the entrance to the Palace
Notes and recollections until Leonard and the band walk on stage in Part III.
Last edited by TGuy on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

Lovely story, TGuy, can't wait to read Part III. And thanks for the great poster photo.
Eva
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Ohhhh...I want that poster! Looking forward to your next installment Tguy! Feel I'm walking with you and your Dad!!

Diana
TGuy

Post by TGuy »

Part III - Almost Show Time, For A Long Time

A huge coat-check area is revealed down the stairs at the Kremlin Palace, as well as some souvenir/gift stands which also offered concert booklets, t-shirts and CD's/DVD's -but no pins, mugs or other merchandise that I could see (maybe a tie, but I’m not sure).

With an hour to spend we thought we'd have a drink before the show - but, surprise(!), no drinks whatsoever to be had, no coffee, not even a glass of water. Nothing. So we sat around the coat check area, feeling somewhat underdressed in regular pants and shirt (most of the men were in suit and tie, the ladies in their "frocks and gowns"). We both commented on how the men and women stopped at the large mirrors surrounding the room to adjust their "do", straiten their tie or dress and those so inclined - touch-up their make-up.
Coat-check and essential mirrors
Coat-check and essential mirrors
We kept checking, but the doors to the actual hall did not open, not an hour to the show, not a half, not even 15 minutes before. At 18:50, a mere 10 minutes before the show, the powers that be signaled and the stern ladies at the doors opened them at last.

Since this ended up being more than 40 minutes before the 19:00 show eventually began, most people did not seem in a particular rush.
View of no-one in a particular rush (note the security guards protecting the stage and "real" VIP section of unmarked seats)
View of no-one in a particular rush (note the security guards protecting the stage and "real" VIP section of unmarked seats)
Leonard walked on stage a few minutes after 19:30, while a lot of people were still filing in. As we later discovered that the "curfew" meant that the show would end at 22:30, I wish he began on time as he usually does.
Showtime - kind of wish I didn't persuade Dad not to buy a new camera...
Showtime - kind of wish I didn't persuade Dad not to buy a new camera...
Final notes and recollections from the show in Part IV.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”