CONCERT REPORT: Lille, France, September 25, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
pe swijngedouw

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Lille, France, Sept 25, 2010

Post by pe swijngedouw »

another great evening, thanks to everyone, like the ones who let us see the real size of javier mas

thanks also, to all the nice people we met at café de la paix, maarten and family, willy&wijbe and the whole "leonard family"

pe
Attachments
the shadow of a giant
the shadow of a giant
... precisely ...
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

i do absolutely love the sublime webb sisters, but i miss sharon

so, these three were re-named after them, two summers ago
{before, their names were hemeltje (heaven), hannah and hella}

pe
Attachments
hemeltje & kinderen
hemeltje & kinderen
... precisely ...
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

tomsakic wrote:
They're stacking up the chairs,
They're wiping down the bar,

Maarten, I think it happened for the first time in Lisabon, Sept 10, according to Tipperary Ann's report in Lisboa thread:

]
Yes, Tomsakic, and these two lines and Leonard's closing remarks can be heard ( just about, over the enthusiasm of the crowd!) on Juan Luis 's Closing Time video on the Lisboa thread.
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by "Af12007 " a/k/a "BurningViolin" - Thanks!

"The audience at Leonard Cohen, Lille Zenith, before and after... "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0VzjuPBdWk

"Ain't No Cure For Love"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f249iAu5wRY
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

PeloVals wrote:
somewhat_nifty wrote:I'm putting up some more video from the night - Sisters of Mercy, The Gypsy's Wife and If It Be Your Will, all will be on my channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/messalina79

Bravo, but i don't see If It Be Your Will
I had them lined up to upload overnight, it's there now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1q7w3r3Ai4
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

sturgess66 wrote:Uploaded by "Af12007 " a/k/a "BurningViolin" - Thanks!

"The audience at Leonard Cohen, Lille Zenith, before and after... "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0VzjuPBdWk

"Ain't No Cure For Love"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f249iAu5wRY

There are a few more to come and a concert report when I eventually get around to it! :)
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

The pictureshow from the Lille Meet-up is on-line.

See http://www.icantforget.nl

Wijbe and Willy
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
zodkavombie

Post by zodkavombie »

Thank you so much for the lovely montage of pictures Wijbe and Willy. It was so nice to meet you and look forward to the next one
Victorine
O2, 17th July and 13th November 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009, Barecelona 21 September 2009, Lille 25 September 2010, Las Vegas 10th and 11th December 2010, Wembley 9th September 2012, Paris 29th September 2012, O2 London 21st June, 15th September 2013.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Wybe wrote:The pictureshow from the Lille Meet-up is on-line.

Wijbe and Willy
Another terrific picture show. I enjoyed it very much.
Thank you.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Wijbe and Willy

That was really lovely, thanks!
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Wijbe and Willy
Thank you both - very atmospheric!
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
gilly-rjd

Post by gilly-rjd »

Wijbe and Willy
Thank you so much both of you - that was lovely. And a perfect choice of songs in the background.
Gilly
- 2008 - Birmingham - 2009 -Liverpool - 2010 - Sligo, Lille
2012 -Guent, Paris - 2013 Bournemouth, Manchester, Birmingham
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Finally getting around to my concert report. Firstly I have to say, it's a very strange feeling when you find yourself getting 'used to' flying somewhere or catching a train to get to yet another Leonard Cohen concert. I've also got used to people looking at me with that strange expression of, 'you're going again?!) It's become somewhat of a norm for me now!!! :shock: :D That's 8 concerts (so far! 8) ) and given that I knew he existed about 20 months ago but really wasn't interested, (so much so that I passed on going to the Kilmainham concerts in 2008) I'm thinking I've made up for the error of my ways!

So Lille was a bit difficult to get to, especially when I turned up to the airport to find that the aircraft was having technical difficulties. The major difficulty being that it was in Amsterdam and not Cork. As a result of the delay I missed my connecting train in Paris. I found this all very stressful and was on the move for about 12 hours as opposed to 6 so I was really tired when I got to Lille. Still though next day was concert day and Somewhat_Nifty would be along on the Eurostar in the afternoon:-)

I wandered around Lille the next morning, my first priority were waffles and the shopping centre next door to the hotel! :roll: It's a nice town, a few nice buildings but not a lot to see after that apart from Leonard Cohen, or did I miss it? Met with Nifty and we went to collect the tickets from the Zenith. Being the rebels that we are we decided not to join the huge queue of other people looking for tickets but to go to the other window and so we ended up at the front of the queue to get out tickets ahead of everyone. Apologies to those waiting in the wrong queue. This however gave us more time in the afternoon to devote to our (now annual) making of a 'banner for the band'. Nifty posted the pictures above.

It was lovely to see so many people at the meet up and to meet Louise and her grandaughter Emma. It's great not to be youngest at a meetup! The food was lovely too, the steaks were huge and dessert was enough for three people in itself.

On to the concert, it was a joyous experience for me. The crowd were seated on time but Ryan Murphy the lighting man was on stage adjusting some of the lights at the front of the stage and eventually the crowd started to clap. They wanted Leonard!

The thing I noticed about the first half was that Leonard and the band were so energetic and he looked like he was really enjoying himself so you couldn't but feel energised. As he sang the future I really wondered given the shape of the country at the moment should he not have been singing 'Things have begun to slide'...I don't know how the Webb's manage to do those cartwheels perfect every time! And when it came to 'white man dancing', Leonard shouted to Roscoe to 'take it' and Roscoe did a lovely pirouette. :D Given the length of the neck on a bass guitar I think it's no mean feat to manage not to knock over anything with it!

Ain't no cure for love was another really spirited performance. Leonard was really 'growly' holding onto notes a little longer than expected which was fun. I love the bit where he says to the Webbs 'ah tell them the truth Angels'. I didn't capture it on video but I did get a little clip after that. In Everybody Knows it was interesting to see Leonard make the sign of the cross at the words 'Take one last look at this sacred heart before it blows'. I'd never noticed him do that before. Also now and again he'd grab his right arm with his left like he was hugging himself, 'I got you like a habit'.

As for the subtitles, I didn't find them off putting and I actually kind of liked them. I noticed the lady next to me spent a lot of time looking at them so I guess the audience appreciated them. What was annoying though was that the screen wasn't quite in sync with the audio. In the second half that turned out to be really annoying because the two guys in front of me were a lot taller than me and I couldn't quite see LC from where I was sitting so I was relying on the screen in front of me. Sometimes the problem seemed to work itself out but it was a feature all the way through the performance.

In the second half I though the Sisters of Mercy, Suzanne and Gypsy wife, (all my favourites!) were beautiful but I thought the tempo was a bit quicker than usual? Could just be my imagination, either way I did enjoy hearing them. It's interesting to see the band now as opposed to in Sligo when they'd just started out the tour. It's not that they were unrehearsed or weren't as tight in Sligo, they were great, but it's like a really really well oiled machine now, super slick! There was nothing new on the set list that I hadn't heard before but I enjoyed all that was played. I did miss Boogie Street though the Webbs are of course doing a great job of backing vocals on their own. Best wishes to Sharon Robinson for a speedy recovery too.

As for the audience, I had heard that French audiences are quite reserved so I was wondering what to expect. Joey commented in his photos that the audience were loud. I didn't think they made a lot of noise but you could 'hear' the audience listening! It wasn't that they weren't enthusiastic, but they were very respectful and were listening really intently. Of course the Partisan went down well :D

As for the banner, we decided it might be a better idea to separate the two pages so as not to bother other people around us with this big banner in their line of view. It was nice for Rosco and the Webbs to nod in our direction at the end.

Oh, almost forgot, I was delighted with my scarf and key ring that I got at the merchandise stand. The scarf is going to come in handy over the winter!!

It was lovely to meet up again after the concert in Cafe de la Paix and to put a few more names to faces. :D And it was a really successful trip to Lille by all accounts (when I finally got there!) I got a phone call from Somewhat Nifty at around 11am on Sunday while I was speeding towards Paris on the TGV, to say (in somewhat breathless tones), that Leonard Cohen was standing across the street from her and what should she do!? Trying not to squeal too much and disturb the quiet train carriage (everyone is very quiet on the train in France!!) that she should 'go over there now! go go go go go,'. I did think afterwards that I should have made her stay on the line and to put Leonard on when she had finished getting him to sign her book! (And who, shall I say is calling....!) but it was wonderful that she was able to meet THE MAN! who signed her first edition book and it put a smile on my face for the day as I was traveling home!

A lovely weekend in Lille and a greatly enjoyable concert. Viva Las Vegas next :D

Feels so good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG_-2S3vMiM

First we take Manhattan/Closing Time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7doNrBbA5I

Waiting for the Miracle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrc0XkVBDg0

Edit: I just remembered, the sound for the first half was a bit strange, Leonards vocal seemed a bit fuzzy but it was perfect in the second half. I'd forgotten about the little slip in Hallellujah but I always wonder how he managed to remember the words anyway so, he's allowed at least one 'senior moment' :D :lol:
Last edited by burningviolin on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

BV, your concert reports are always a treat! You should put them on a blog or something. Thank you for being instrumental in psyching me up to meet LC! If only you had been there too :( And now... the Las Vegas adventure begins!
gilly-rjd

Post by gilly-rjd »

Have very little to add to these other well-written reports really; another special day to remember. Enjoyed the meet-up which was informal and friendly - good food, good beer and wine, good company.
The concert was, as always, memorable - audience quiet at first, but 2nd half more relaxed and a noisy finale. Leonard was in fine form, despite a long pause in Hallelujah! Yes, Sharon was inevitably missed, but all credit to Charlie and Hattie who gave 110%. Dino was amazing -so much fun and energy- at one point he seemed so carried away that I thought he would 'take off'... :lol: Spent the last 20 minutes in front of the stage - wonderful. Ending, I thought was rather sudden -was expecting "Lover, Lover, Lover" or "Heart With No Companion" but was thrilled the final song was "That's No Way.." -has to be my all-time favourite. :D And on came the crew to begin clearing the stage. I hung around a bit, and I managed to get a set-list. Even more wonderful. :D :D Back to the Cafe de la Paix for more drinks and chat -everyone very relaxed and happy. Must have been around 1am when I returned to the hotel, one happy lady. :D :D :D
Little did I know what Sunday had in store for me.... :?: - see link,
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13968&start=120 -(don't know if I've done this right, but same link as somewhat_nifty on page 3!)

- 2008 - Birmingham - 2009 -Liverpool - 2010 - Sligo, Lille
2012 -Guent, Paris - 2013 Bournemouth, Manchester, Birmingham

Return to “The World Tour 2010”