CONCERT REPORT: Strasbourg, France, September 19, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Strasbourg, France, September 19, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

It's almost 6:00 p.m. in Strasbourg - sound check is taking place - and there is a show tonight!

Venue is the Zenith, built in 2008 - very orange!
The concept of the design is based on a modular and a well balanced organization of the different elements: good views for all spectators, best acoustics and an optimized cost management already addressed during the concept phase of the design. The building is to be understood as a single, unifying and autonomous sculpture. By layering and rotating the ellipsoid metal façade structure, the design receives a very dynamic character. This is underlined with the translucent textile membrane, which covers the steel-frame and creates magnificent light effects. These orange membranes also cover the volume of the music hall itself. This is the heart of the building: a totally enclosed and protected space, which creates a special theatre atmosphere. Projections on the outer skin create playful effects and convert the façade into a huge billboard. The inner experience is transmitted to the outside thought out the transparent skin: the whole building becomes a ‘light sculpture’.
http://www.archdaily.com/2782/zenith-st ... no-fuksas/

From Joey - "Notes From the Road" -
After a late night of delicate international relations at the Irish pub, it’s a quiet sleepy morning in Strasbourg.
* Strasbourg, France
Overwhelmingly Orange.
* Zénith - Strasbourg, France
Soundcheck is on and the band is running through some classics.
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/115 ... ng-through
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomsakic

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Strasbourg, France, Sept. 19, 2010

Post by tomsakic »

Two mikes for vocalists left from LC, yikes.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Danse moi jusqu’au bout de l’amour.
Excellent moon viewing tonight.
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/115 ... ght-zenith
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

tomsakic wrote:Two mikes for vocalists left from LC, yikes.
Yes Tom, I just had a phone call from my parents (the lucky b*st*rds) that ms Robinson wasn't on stage tonight, but the show was great (as ever). No Secret Life nor Boogie Street, but Hey That's No Way was there..

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Maarten and Tom,

I'm hoping that Sharon has simply removed herself from the tour to rest and recuperate, in order to be on stage in Marseille for Leonard's birthday. If she is NOT there on the 21st...then I'll worry. Hope all is well with her. She is in ALL our thoughts.

Diana
casterbridgecohen

Post by casterbridgecohen »

A good show but one does not realise how much Sharron contributes to the backing melodies until she is not there - the Webb sisters are great for me but the baqcking vocals were at times light if not lost without her more bassey contributions. And was it my imagination but after 18 shows tonight was the first time I thought Leonard and the band were out of synch on a couple of lines. Thoroughly enjoyed it and looking forward to Lille and then Honolulu and Vegas. The Yellow subtitles were distracting but forced me to concentrate on the lyrics more to see if I could agree with the French translation so I appreciated them in the end!
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam
casterbridgecohen

A good show but one does not realise how much Sharron contributes to the backing melodies until she is not there - the Webb sisters are great for me but the baqcking vocals were at times light if not lost without her more bassey contributions. And was it my imagination but after 18 shows tonight was the first time I thought Leonard and the band were out of synch on a couple of lines. Thoroughly enjoyed it and looking forward to Lille and then Honolulu and Vegas. The Yellow subtitles were distracting but forced me to concentrate on the lyrics more to see if I could agree with the French translation so I appreciated them in the end!
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Back to the stage in Strasbourg, it’s encore time.
Everyone has a mic at an LC show, including the crowd and Strasbourg is on it’s feet as So Long Marianne kicks off.
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/115 ... luding-the
casterbridgecohen

SHARRON ROBINSON

Was this the first time in approximately 220 concerts that someone has been missing other than Leonard in Valencia? if so amazing no one has picked up a bug before. Would the show continue if Dino, Javiar, Bob were sick I wonder?

To answer my own question looking back at the concert reports Sharron has also missed Grenoble, Caen and part of Lisbon. Anyone know if she is holed up somewhere recovering or still travelling with the band?
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

Another night of perfection from the master. The sound was very good and the sisters do us Brits proud :) thank you to all the band and crew for their hard work and to Leonard for bringing such great experiences to my eyes and ears. Get well soon Sharon.
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Sharon was missing in Bucharest in 2008, if I recall well - she had urgent trip back home for few days. It was the very first show on Fall 2008 tour and LC's birthday as well. Until Ourense and later show last week, nobody was missing from the show itself, and only incident was Leonard's fainting in Valencia, plus his low-back injury after US tour, in January 2010. But the tour has been followed by flu after breaks, after sudden change of time zone - Summer 2009 tour in Europe was opened with jet lag, and LC was in bed few times for couple of days between the shows, what was commented few times on this board - he had scarf many times when he was on edge of flu, and i.e. Langesund July 16 2009 recording obviously shows that he sings under flu (his voice and down tempo). Mostly, he and girls suffered when they had big climate changes.

We must not forget that before Ourense, the band played open air in Firenze, it was Summer temperature, few nights later they were in coats, freezing at 5 degrees at open-air in Burgenland, Austria. Then they were in Spain and Portugal, in Summer temperatures. And so on.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by "martytwhelan" - Thanks!

"The Partisan"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpKGFMfNd-Y
oh-gosh

Where was Sharon Robinson???

Post by oh-gosh »

I was at the concert yesterday in Strasbourg (France) and wondered why Sharon was not on stage.

Does anybody know why not or does her contract provide to have some concerts off???
Attachments
Sharon Robinson.jpg
Sharon Robinson.jpg (26.52 KiB) Viewed 16399 times
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Davido

Re: Where was Sharon Robinson???

Post by Davido »

Allan - alias Dr H Guy - has received an email from Sharon stating she has a bout of 'flu, but is hoping to be back on stage soon.
Best wishes to Sharon.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx

Return to “The World Tour 2010”