CONCERT REPORT: Caen, France, September 15, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Caen, France, September 15, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

From Joey - sound check is on -

Show day in Caen and the morning sun is out, the town is quiet and the runner van is ready to head to the venue.
* Caen, France
Songs From The Road.
* Zenith - Caen, France
En route to soundcheck.
• Caen, France
Time for soundcheck.
* Zenith - Caen, France

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/112 ... enith-caen
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Caen, France, Sept. 15, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

Doors are open and the French colors are flown.
* Zenith - Caen, France
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/112 ... -are-flown
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

The show has started 25mins ago: Dance Me...

Dance Me To The End Of Love and we’re on in Caen. • Zenith - Caen, France
Source: http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/112 ... -in?ref=nf

No Sharon on the photo...
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

tomsakic wrote:No Sharon on the photo...
But interesting to see that her microphone and monitor are there. Perhaps she is hoping to do part of the show?

On a different note: I can't quite believe what I am seeing here:

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/page/1

Subtitles?????

Why on earth do the French audience need subtitles? Can you imagine watching the screens for the whole of the show to see the words in French, rather than watching Leonard and the band perform? Have subtitles ever been used anywhere before? I went to an Italian opera with English subtitles on a moving screen above the stage once. Really annoying - I would much rather miss out on some of the meaning of the words.

Wendy
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Mabeanie1 wrote: Subtitles?????

Why on earth do the French audience need subtitles? Can you imagine watching the screens for the whole of the show to see the words in French, rather than watching Leonard and the band perform? Have subtitles ever been used anywhere before? I went to an Italian opera with English subtitles on a moving screen above the stage once. Really annoying - I would much rather miss out on some of the meaning of the words.

Wendy
Wendy,
I completely agree with you regarding the subtitles! I hope they don't do subtitles in Lille...
Does anyone know what's wrong with Ms Robinson? Indeed, her microphone and other stuff are on stage, so let's hope people in Caen get to see her on stage soon...

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Chubi

Post by Chubi »

Maarten wrote:
Mabeanie1 wrote: Subtitles?????

Wendy
Wendy,
I completely agree with you regarding the subtitles! I hope they don't do subtitles in Lille...
[...]

Maarten
Well, I'm French and one of the eight LC concerts I have seen so far was in France (in Lyon). This is the concert that had the most unreactive audience. They were probably afraid to be punished for applauding, laughing or even smiling at the wrong moment, like they were taught to avoid at school. I don't know if subtitles will help, but I wouldn't dismiss it as a very bad idea before it is tested.

(And I also hope Sharon Robinson is back soon. This tour seems to be pushing the "girls" close to their limits. :( )

Véronique
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

First and foremost I Hope Sharon is ok :!:

In regards subtitles I agree with Wendy and Maarten, are they really needed? Do they really want everyone just staring at the screen? Hope they don't use them in Katowice! However even if they are used I know where my eyes will be ;-)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Dominique Isserman and Rafael Gayol hang in the green room and talk shop about cameras.
* Zenith - Caen, France
The Darkness.
* Zenith - Caen, France
From Twitter -
JudyMansfield - At Zenith in Caen. Leonard Cohen is amazing. Such powerful lyrics and a voice like darkest chocolate. 21 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

It seems most of us are on Facebook pages waiting for next posts from Joey/Notes from the Road... No Sharon on Darkness photo also, but now second set has started, and he wrote "some curveballs in the works" during intermission. I do hope it's only something like Summer cold:)
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

If my memory is correct, LC is the one who insisted there be a Hebrew translation of his songs at the Ramat Gan, Israel concert. And I also recall, he personally chose the author who interpreted/tranlsated his lyrics.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

tomsakic wrote: No Sharon on Darkness photo also. I do hope it's only something like Summer cold:)
Yes, let's hope so. Sharon was off stage briefly in Lisbon on Friday, which I never saw happen before, but she seemed fine when she came back and completed the show. Standing on stage for so long cannot be easy, not to mention performing and all the travelling.
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

The sub-titles seem to be working, the crowd is following along beautifully during Hallelujah.
* Zenith - Caen, France
A sprint into the encore.
* Zenith - Caen, France
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/112 ... e-crowd-is
Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

TipperaryAnn wrote:
tomsakic wrote: No Sharon on Darkness photo also. I do hope it's only something like Summer cold:)
Yes, let's hope so. Sharon was off stage briefly in Lisbon on Friday, which I never saw happen before, but she seemed fine when she came back and completed the show. Standing on stage for so long cannot be easy, not to mention performing and all the travelling.
Didn't know about this - I was thinking it started two nights ago in Ourense, she didn't appear on stage after intermission but returned for encores. Boogie Street was not performed.

From Notes from the Road it seems Sharon is completely absent, and they performed Hey That's No Way to Say Goodybe in place of Boogie Street.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Crowds on their feet.
* Zenith - Caen, France
Probably the last song ...

Lover Lover Lover
* Zenith - Caen, France
Yup -
That’ll do for tonight.
* Zenith - Caen, France
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/112 ... aen-france
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Dominque appeared to be on stage during "I Tried to Leave You". Interesting....

I'm sure for Sharon it's simply a little touch of the flu...or the results of eating each day in a different country! But...Sharon is definitely missed. We don't need details....just need to know that you're okay Sharon, and your family is okay.

Rest and recuperate. We're patient and we love you! :D

Return to “The World Tour 2010”