CONCERT REPORT: Caen, France, September 15, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
covow

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Caen, France, Sept. 15, 2010

Post by covow »

A little bit of history
The Partisan is an adaptation of a french song written by Emmanuel d'Astier de la Vigerie (compagnon de la libération) who had his political part in the sixties in France as a De Gaulle's fan (he was one of his "compagnons de route"
The text was written in 1943
It was at first sung by Anna Marly.
Here is the original text :

COMPLAINTE DU PARTISAN

Les Allemands étaient chez moi
On m'a dit résigne toi
Mais je n'ai pas pu
Et j'ai repris mon arme.

Personne ne m'a demandé
D'où je viens et où je vais
Vous qui le savez
Effacez mon passage.

J'ai changé cent fois de nom
J'ai perdu femme et enfants
Mais j'ai tant d'amis
Et j'ai la France entière.

Un vieil homme dans un grenier
Pour la nuit nous a cachés
L¹ennemi l'a su (Les Allemands l'ont pris)
Il est mort sans surprise.

Hier encore nous étions trois
Il ne reste plus que moi
Et je tourne en rond
Dans la prison des frontières.

Le vent souffle sur les tombes
La liberté reviendra
On nous oubliera
Nous rentrerons dans l'ombre

Paroles : Emmanuel d'Astier de La Vigerie dit "Bernard".
Musique : Anna Marly
écrit en 1943, à Londres.

So you are both right.
The original french lyrics are "résigne toi" but in the LC version it is "signe toi"

As we talked about it near the Zenith with Malcom's niece, it's difficult for french people to well pronounce the english "th" and the "h" (HHHOWE Malcom) and so in fact (part of joke) when he sings LC pronounce "Zigne toi" instead of "Signe toi"
Voilà
Bonne nuit les amis et cherchez les différences entre le texte original et l'adaptation 8)
StBruno

Post by StBruno »

Hey Lookatme, just noticed the I've cut you out of the photo of the Caen meet-up. It was web incompetence, honestly, not violent envy for your incredible good fortune at Caen airport (what a great example of luck finding you when you're heading home and least expect it)! I'll edit my post and try and restore you to the group. Hope to run into you again.

Best,
B
...like one who believes
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Vicomte wrote:Isn't it "signe toi"?

Not sure I have ever heard "résigne-toi" or am I missing something?
Well, not according to Leonardcohenfiles.com... Having said that, I always think that it is slightly odd to translate "résigne-toi" as "surrender", which is the suggested translation in Leonardcohenfiles.com (that would be "rends-toi")... The other oddity is this "Mais je n'ai pas peur" as opposed to "Mais je n'ai pas pu". I think that "Mais je n'ai pas peur" is not possible here simply because it introduces the present tense within a paragraph which is entirely in the past tense.

Edit: Thanks Covow for reminding us of the original version; very helpful indeed!
Mais je ne vais pas passer la nuit dessus! ;-)
Last edited by remote1 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We are so lightly here"
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

covow wrote: ..............As we talked about it near the Zenith with Malcom's niece, it's difficult for french people to well pronounce the english "th" and the "h" (HHHOWE Malcom) and so in fact (part of joke) when he sings LC pronounce "Zigne toi" instead of "Signe toi"
Voilà
Bonne nuit les amis et cherchez les différences entre le texte original et l'adaptation 8)
I also think that Leonard's French is based more as one would be in Montreal/Quebec, don't you think?

Anyway thank you for that piece of information on the song, Daniel.

Yes we can often be rotten and ask French friends to say "The" and spell names beginning in "H" as in what you told us where your friend lived, it was in 'ove or better known as Hove :lol: ;-)

But then we are told to say, Troyes, Reims, Royan or Rouen, last two being real tongue twisters for the Brits (and others) but pronouncing Reims gets people every time (well most!)

À la prochaine ............
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
remote1

Post by remote1 »

I'll take advantage of this conversation to resurrect this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15350&p=176235&hilit=cantat#p176235
I've been meaning to do this for a long time. Please look at it, listen to the music. It's a GREAT post by johnny7moons.
"We are so lightly here"
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Thanks for that, remote but this weekend, maybe tomorrow, we are off on our "jollies" (holidays to you and I ;-) ) so will try to reply some time soon.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Bonnes vacances alors! 8)
"We are so lightly here"
Lookatme

Post by Lookatme »

StBruno wrote:Hey Lookatme, just noticed the I've cut you out of the photo of the Caen meet-up. It was web incompetence, honestly, not violent envy for your incredible good fortune at Caen airport (what a great example of luck finding you when you're heading home and least expect it)! I'll edit my post and try and restore you to the group. Hope to run into you again.

Best,
B
Hi Bruno,

I see myself there on the far right.

I have two pics which I seem not to be able to upload. If it helps, I can always email these to you directly to post here.

Wishes,

Lookatme
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

remote1 wrote:Bonnes vacances alors! 8)

Merci en Espagne et un peu de soleil j'espère!
Neil from The Young Ones
StBruno

Post by StBruno »

Hi Lookatme,

You were having trouble posting images. As I understand it you have to just insert the url to where your photos are held online into your post using the buttons provided - worked for me anyway. If you don't have any luck, feel free to email them to me and I'll post them on your behalf.

Maybe an old hand could point us in the direction of any guidlines regarding posting images on the forum?

Good luck (you seem to have it!),
B
...like one who believes
Kenadian

Post by Kenadian »

Well, a little late but what the heck! A great show even though a little sad not seeing Sharon. The feeling really set in when they came and removed her mic later.

While Sharon was truly missed, the Webb sisters stepped in wonderfully like the consummate professionals that they are. To me everything felt a little off-kilter, but that only illustrated how much of a 'group' they truly are!

And hey, when was the last time I heard Leonard sing the lyrics 'anal sex'???

Cheers,
Ken(adian)
2008: Kitchener|Hamilton x2|Toronto x3|Montreal x2|2009: New York|Detroit|New York x2|Hamilton|Kingston|Ottawa x2 |Colmar|Vienne|Nimes|Philadelphia|New York MSG)|Cleveland|Nashville|2010: Sligo x2|Lisbon |Caen|Grenoble|Strasbourg|Marseille|Tours|Lille|Victoria|Vancouver|Oakland x2|Vegas x2|and more.
StBruno

Post by StBruno »

...well at least he's in what we Brits call 'rude health'!
...like one who believes
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video from "janvail" - Thanks!

Says "I'm Your Man" but it is -

"Aint' No Cure for Love" :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOo14gc8_a4
CBBorges

Post by CBBorges »

Leonard Cohen, Caen 14/9/10 concert, was marvellous. Musicianship hotter than hell n' heavenly Webb sis'. Though, as object of sensual lyric Leonard, you get the idea Sharon Robinson actually understands what he means. Yes, her energy and wit, not to mention the texture, was missed. Ah, but then again, Leonard is Leonard and he gave great concert!Young people especially were thrilled with gypsy songs; well, it is France! It is an issue. Subtitles with side screen close-ups were a brilliant addition; truly appropriate use of technology. For anyone who can walk and chew gum at the same time, they are not a distraction from the live performance. Sure non-"English" speakers might find them useful, and so do I, from time to time. Altogether, a privilege to witnessed. And terrific fun. C Borges - Hawaii to SW France.[quote][/quote]
StBruno

Post by StBruno »

On page three of this thread Lookatme reports on his good fortune in meeting Sharon Robinson in Caen on the afternoon of the show and then bumping into a few other familiar faces at the airport next day. He can't post his images from where he is, but asked me to share these with you.

He sounds quite happy!
...like one who believes

Return to “The World Tour 2010”