CONCERT REPORT: Caen, France, September 15, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
RegularCliche

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Caen, France, Sept. 15, 2010

Post by RegularCliche »

Last edited by RegularCliche on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009: Oakland 2x, St. Louis, Kansas City, Las Vegas, San Jose
2010: Sligo 2x, Lisbon, Caen, Grenoble, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Oakland 2x (again), Las Vegas 2x
covow

Post by covow »

For the translation
You're right
In english you say to travel blind in french we say "suivre quelqu'un les yeux fermés" (follow someone with your eyes closed) when you trust the person
Daniel
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

RegularCliche wrote:Charley's duet with Leonard in the Partisan was gorgeous, and Hattie sang so convincingly during her shared verse with Leonard in First We Take Manhattan that I honestly couldn't remember if she or Sharon usually sings it. Glad to hear it's nothing too serious with Sharon, and I hope she's recovering well.
Charley is usually duetting wonderfully in Waiting For The Miracle (closing verses), while Hattie does beautiful two-voice version of Take This Waltz every night, she joins LC on last verses, and it's one of the high peaks of the shows for me. I think that Sharon usually leads Manhattan, but I am not sure right now, I noticed the mentioned two songs. We should check YouTube, and I'd really like to see Manhattan from Caen now.
RegularCliche

Post by RegularCliche »

Last edited by RegularCliche on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009: Oakland 2x, St. Louis, Kansas City, Las Vegas, San Jose
2010: Sligo 2x, Lisbon, Caen, Grenoble, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Oakland 2x (again), Las Vegas 2x
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

covcow,

I don't suppose by any chance you are the Daniel that we stood outside the venue with and "backed you" (in the worst sense of the meaning) when you sang "Famous Blue Raincoat" to TV Caen camera ?
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

One of those lucky moments of meeting Leonard and Roscoe being in the right place at the right time and .........going in a bar (not Bills on this occasion)

Vicomtesse seen offering the maestro, Javier Mas, how he should play the intro to " Who by Fire", I think Javier said "Sí muy bueno" but there again, on this occasion, neither my hearing, nor my Spanish were too good! ;-)

And as we all know, extremely charming and gracious people.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
covow

Post by covow »

Hi
Of course I am !!!!

Just for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSckdDxiQqY
covow

Post by covow »

Another one for the road

http://jt.france3.fr/regions/popup.php? ... o_number=1

So you can see you on TV Malcom !!

Daniel
jglBB

Post by jglBB »

As well documented as ever these french journalists. They mixed up 1970 with 1969 and Isle of Wight with Woodstock. :roll:
covow

Post by covow »

Bon on va rire encore plus
Voilà comment était présenté Léonard Cohen sur un quotidien gratuit caennais : "l'alter ego de Bob Dylan version langue française"
Mais en même temps nous autres français n'avons pas la chance d'être nés parmi les maîtres du monde et d'avoir l'anglais comme langue maternelle.
C'est la vie

Of course I wrote this in french because I'm afraid that "le ridicule tue !"
Daniel
StBruno

Post by StBruno »

Hahaha. Shame they cut you off before you got into full voice, Daniel and before your backing band joined in. That's got to be one for the extras if there's another tour DVD, non?!?
...like one who believes
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

covow wrote:Bon on va rire encore plus
Voilà comment était présenté Léonard Cohen sur un quotidien gratuit caennais : "l'alter ego de Bob Dylan version langue française"
Mais en même temps nous autres français n'avons pas la chance d'être nés parmi les maîtres du monde et d'avoir l'anglais comme langue maternelle.
C'est la vie

Of course I wrote this in french because I'm afraid that "le ridicule tue !"
Daniel

:lol: :lol:

I think your post might have been wasted on jglBB, Daniel. No need to worry, we all make mistakes, even us English speaking masters :lol: ;-) Come on jglBB not everyone knows what colour socks Leonard wears at his concerts ;-)

I need to have a word with the interviewer, Jacques, and ask why your tribute to Leonard was cut just before the backing singers entered the song!! Imagine the furore if that was to happen to Sharon and the Webb Sisters !! :lol:

Daniel, If you happen to see Serge soon, please thank him for the pre concert drinks, much appreciated, I am not sure if we will all be there for the forthcoming Riff Raff gig at the Zenith. ;-)

Bruno, if you listen carefully, you can "just" hear Julie laughing in the background, it was when she was asked if she also had the voice of an Angel :lol: I can't repeat the answer I offered. These smaller venues can go one way or the other, in this case, I thought Caen was superb,from the "lunchers", the people of Caen that we met, obviously including Daniel and Serge, to the very late drink in the port area and even at breakfast, everything went in to making this concert one that will stay in the memory forever.
Neil from The Young Ones
StBruno

Post by StBruno »

A few more thoughts on Caen (sorry if these images come out a little large):

From where I was sitting in row three center (thank you Jarkko, Robert et al), the Zenith seemed a great modern venue, perhaps not quite full to capacity, I'd guess around 6,000 attending, but this was a really intense and intimate show.

When Sharon didn't appear I think many were worried we were in for a rocky performance - her vocal grace is so central to the arrangements, let alone to many of the compositions. We needn't have - once a few mixing problems were resolved the sheer experience and professionalism of the band and crew took over and a new dimension was added - hearing more of the subtleties of the Webbs' backing vocals was interesting (and perhaps more reminiscent of earlier days?). Get well soon Sharon, they'll keep it together until you do.

Leonard was in the best voice of any of the dates I've caught and without giving my own individual name checks, the whole band seemed to have grown into these numbers even more this year - simply stunning. Highlights for me included just about everything :D , but I'll mention Javier Mas' playing, Dino providing really subtle backing as well as the full-on stuff, The Partisan (from which point on few sat down), and the final transcendant Lover, Lover, Lover (new to me live).

A couple of incidental notes for those keeping count of such things. 'Anal sex' was back in, a drumstick was dropped (with style and charm!).

This was the first time I'd braved a forum meet-up - but would recommend them to anyone of a similarly nervous disposition. Cohen fans may be obsessive - but in a really nice way! Meeting Vicomte, Vicomtese, Julie, Merganser and Look At Me for a long relaxed lunch and early morning drink added to a memorable trip for Lynne and me. Thanks to you all, and also to all the unaned Cohenites and Caenites (?) we met along the way.

I lost out to Vicomte in the tussle with rather surly venue security for a set list, but managed to obtain one sheet of Leonard's prompts for the French language part of The Partisan - it would be nice to reunite all of them, but I'm not sure who got the rest!

Short of a miracle this looks to be my only show this year, but one I'll treasure.

All best,
B
...like one who believes
remote1

Post by remote1 »

I wonder why the text was changed from:
"ils me dirent: 'résigne-toi"
to
"ils me dirent, Signe toi"
Slight variation in the meaning here ("resign yourself to what is coming" versus "cross yourself"...) Nothing to write home about but I still find it interesting...
Last edited by remote1 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are so lightly here"
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Isn't it "signe toi"?

Not sure I have ever heard "résigne-toi" or am I missing something?
Neil from The Young Ones

Return to “The World Tour 2010”