CONCERT REPORT: Caen, France, September 15, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
catswhiskers

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Caen, France, Sept. 15, 2010

Post by catswhiskers »

I did notice that Sharon did stop and cough once during Boogie Street in Lisbon---Maybe just a cold--especially after freezing to death in an earlier concert.Also Charlie Webb sat for most of the concert--its certainly taken its toll on them all.
Juan Luis Corcobado

Post by Juan Luis Corcobado »

catswhiskers wrote:I did notice that Sharon did stop and cough once during Boogie Street in Lisbon.

I recorded a video in that circumstance, but I've decided not to upload it to YouTube. :-(
Juan Luis Corcobado Cartes
Pal. Deportes de Madrid 1993 | Passeio Marítimo de Algés Lisboa 2008 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2009 | Pal. Deportes de Madrid 2009 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2010 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2012 | The O2 Dublin 2013
corcobado[at]gmail.com
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir »

Mabeanie1 wrote: I went to an Italian opera with English subtitles on a moving screen above the stage once. Really annoying - I would much rather miss out on some of the meaning of the words.

Wendy
Whilst I share your sentiment that subtitles are unneccesary at a music concert, opera is a bit different given that it is essentially a play set to music and being able to understand the libretto is vital part of the experience.

I can't for one minute imagine being able to fully enjoy the likes of Mozart's Figaro which has a zillion identity swaps without being thoroughly clueless as to what is going on for 90% of the performance.
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

ladydi wrote:Dominque appeared to be on stage during "I Tried to Leave You".
Di, I'm looked at the photo and thought it was Charlie with her hair down?
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
nomadic

Post by nomadic »

Juan Luis Corcobado wrote:
catswhiskers wrote:I did notice that Sharon did stop and cough once during Boogie Street in Lisbon.

I recorded a video in that circumstance, but I've decided not to upload it to YouTube. :-(
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

burningviolin wrote:
ladydi wrote:Dominque appeared to be on stage during "I Tried to Leave You".
Di, I'm looked at the photo and thought it was Charlie with her hair down?
Charley has dark hair, and Hattie's isn't so voluminous....but Dominique's is. Check out the photo of her with Raphael in the green room. But I very easily could be mistaken...wouldn't be the first time! :roll:

edit: BV, you are SO right!! That is Charley and the lighting made her hair appear almost blonde! :lol: really doubted that Dominique would be on stage! :oops:
StBruno

Post by StBruno »

Just back from Caen,

Anyone who's worried, I can offer the word of one of the crew that Sharon just had a cold that stopped her performing. It must have been a fairly last minute decision not to go on as stalking forum members (they know who they are :lol: ) had seen her setting off apparently for the venue with the Webbs. Best wishes and hopefully its just that and nothing a rest with a medicinal honey/ginger/whisky mix won't fix.

Sharon was absent for the entire show and sorely missed for her voice and presence, but although the mix was a little shakey for the first couple of numbers, Hattie and Charley carried it through beautifully, with their vocal parts standing out even more clearly. Curiously no announcements were made from the stage.

Got some house things that can't wait, but will post a setlist and more of a report soon. To summarise, it was (again) the best gig of the tour!

All best,
B
...like one who believes
LC&LC

Post by LC&LC »

with regards to the complaints that the audience was not very cheerful, let's not forget that for the 5 or 6 last song, everyone was standing up... I had the best seat I ever had for his shows (1st row) but I was so anxious for the concert to start (not having seen the Man since Barcelona last year) that I forgot my camera at the hotel. This was taken from my mobile...
Attachments
caen24.jpg
caen5.jpg
caen4.jpg
2009: Paris, Nimes, Barcelona, 2010: Caen, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Las Vegas, 2012: Ghent x2, London, Verona, Paris x3, Barcelona, Madrid, NYC, Brooklyn, 2013: NYCx2, Paris, London, Brussels, Rome, Lucca, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Pula, Manchester, London, Amsterdam, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney Opera House
Vicomte

As a foot note, I think we should all

Post by Vicomte »

StBruno wrote:Just back from Caen,

Anyone who's worried, I can offer the word of one of the crew that Sharon just had a cold that stopped her performing. It must have been a fairly last minute decision not to go on as stalking forum members (they know who they are :lol: ) had seen her setting off apparently for the venue with the Webbs. Best wishes and hopefully its just that and nothing a rest with a medicinal honey/ginger/whisky mix won't fix.

Sharon was absent for the entire show and sorely missed for her voice and presence, but although the mix was a little shakey for the first couple of numbers, Hattie and Charley carried it through beautifully, with their vocal parts standing out even more clearly. Curiously no announcements were made from the stage.

Got some house things that can't wait, but will post a setlist and more of a report soon. To summarise, it was (again) the best gig of the tour!

All best,
B
:lol: ;-)

Yes, lips are sealed on the stalker (s), or should I say, culprit :D (definitely not Vicomtesse, St Bruno nor I by the way ;-) )

Anyway, agree with Bruno, it was difficult for the girls and of course Sharon was missed but they did very well to pull the show round to almost perfection. We have been to many venues in France over several years to see various acts and I have to say, (I believe I may have have mentioned elsewhere as to how the crowd would probably react in Caen) it can be quite normal for the French to be very staid until finally they will release their tension, which they certainly did with The Partisan and they stayed out of their seat after that, until the end.

It might need some collaboration to sort out the set list due to songs being taken out and others being put in but I guess if we all put our heads together, we should get there in the end!!

We were lucky enough to be in the same hotel as the Band and Vicomtesse not only met them across the other side of the port de plaisance from the Hotel the evening before the concert, where she got a wonderful photo with Leonard and Roscoe but also again, the morning after the concert, where she met him again after breakfast. He signed a large photo that she had bought at the venue and now feels her life is complete !! ;-) .

Leonard was of course as charming as ever and a true gentleman. When I asked him if he might think of performing in Barcelona to coincide with his 80th Birthday, he replied that he would start smoking as well to celebrate!

As a footnote, I think we should all wish Sharon a speedy recovery from her illness that prevented her performing and wish her the very speediest return to better health
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

Thanks StBruno for the update.
Speedy recovery wishes to Sharon.

Vicmote, very happy for you and Vicmotess' encounters - memorable moments to treasure.

As to previous comments re translation on the screen:
Arlene, you remembered correctly , LC's lyrics beautifully were translated to Hebrew by Kobi Meidan for the Tel Aviv concert. .
To my best knowledge, not only it was Leonard's request to have the translation, he was also involved with choosing Meidan to do it.
Many might have not needed them, but others did for sure. Plus, seeing some of the lyrics so preciously take shape in Hebrew was very unique. They didn't bother us at all. The eye gets quickly used to taking in the entire image and they just blend in.
As to why they chose to have them in Caen- It's still common in France to dub English speaking TV series or movies, so that may have been a consideration and maybe also a tribute by LC to his origins in Montreal.

--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
covow

Post by covow »

About subtitles
I was in Caen yesterday and I'm french
I do know LC songs for years
Some of my friends just liked his music and did not even know what he was saying
After the show they were so happy to have understand the beautiful poetry of LC
Au fait parlez vous français messieurs dames ??
Daniel
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

We had a Lady who had driven alone from Rennes next to us who often looked across to the screen to get an idea of the words and told us it was very nice to read them if she felt the need.

I think you will also agree, the exact translation was not too correct at times but as ever, often words, especially of a poem, cannot be precisely translated.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Vicomte wrote:We had a Lady who had driven alone from Rennes next to us who often looked across to the screen to get an idea of the words and told us it was very nice to read them if she felt the need.

I think you will also agree, the exact translation was not too correct at times but as ever, often words, especially of a poem, cannot be precisely translated.
Thank you for all your great reports and setlist. We all appreicate your efforts.

The way I see it, the words on the screen represent an interpretation in another language rather than a translation.

--Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Lookatme

Post by Lookatme »

Vicomte,
Well what can I say, but just to thank you for all of yesterday, I really enjoyed your company, guidance and appreciate all the thought that went into booking the superb restaurant and setting for lunch. It was great to meet up with all, Dan, Bruno, respective ladies and not forgetting last minute Louise, providing the appreciated post-concert lift back to Caen.
It doesn’t end there, as you know, the delight started with talking to Sharon Robinson outside her hotel yesterday, but the ending was just as surreal and fantastic. I booked a taxi from the Kyriad Hotel to Caen Airport and eventually shared this with two pilots and a stewardess, who were flying Leonard to Grenoble today.
After the baggage was loaded, the Dornier’s engines were fired up and a coach arrives shortly, Leonard steps out into the sunshine, warmly shakes my hand and we speak from the coach into the empty Departures about the concert, telling him how well The Partisan was received and how totally privileged I felt to be meeting him today as he autographed my ticket and also against Sharon’s from the day before! I wish her well.
The delightful Webb Sisters both enchanted me with their conversations as we approached towards Airport Security; this has made more than my year.
A final handshake with Leonard, where upon I asked when the new studio album was out, was met with ‘God knows’, he left the Caen Departures gate with his guitar on his back, one heck of a nice cool easy guy which everyone would like to know more, I am sure.
Thank you so much to Leonard and all who made Caen so great and to all new friends met.
Let’s do it again.
Lookatme.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video from Caen uploaded by "mysterywhitegirl61" - Thanks!

"Famous Blue Raincoat"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amEj-nzH6eI

Return to “The World Tour 2010”