CONCERT REPORT: Lisboa, Portugal, September 10, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Lisboa, Portugal, September 10, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

I think we need a concert thread. It is just after 5:30 p.m. in Lisbon - and there is a show tonight at the Pavilhão Atlântico - a/k/a Atlantic Pavilion. :D

http://www.golisbon.com/sight-seeing/at ... llion.html
Atlantic Pavilion
A UFO-like arena

The Atlantic Pavillion Shaped like an upturned ship (others say it resembles a UFO landed in the middle of the city), the Atlantic Pavilion is officially Portugal's largest indoor arena, with a capacity for over 15,000 spectators.

It is the venue for major visiting bands and artists, and has hosted international events such as the Tennis Masters championships, the World Indoor Athletics Championship, and the MTV Europe Music Awards.

A short walk from there is the Garcia da Orta Garden, named after a 16th century Portuguese doctor who studied and classified Asian plants. Its vegetation came from the regions of the world explored by the Portuguese during the Age of Discovery.

And from Joey -

Lisbon, Portugal
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/109 ... n-portugal
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Lisboa, Portugal, Sept. 10, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

From Twitter:
joanalamas - The Great Man - Mr Leonard Cohen - is playing Lisbon TONIGHT! Have a wonderful show Sir! ♫ http://blip.fm/~w0dj6 41 minutes ago via Blip.fm
jgcaetano - The cheese-cakes to eat in Sintra Pav Atlantic, waiting for Leonard Cohen! 25 minutes ago via mobile web
hugogameiro - The dinner in the park of nations in the warmup for Leonard Cohen -
Leonard cohen stage http://twitpic.com/2n43qd 19 minutes ago via Twitter for Android from S. João de Deus, Lisbon
Shamah - Leonard Cohen is in great shape. Fabulous three minutes ago via Gravity

From Joey -
Lisbon, Portugal
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/109 ... n-portugal
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.destak.pt/artigo/74578-8000- ... e-concerto
8000 People "very close to God" in Over a 3 Hour Concert

09 | 09 | 13.12H 2010
The Atlantic Pavilion in Lisbon, received Friday evening more than 8,000 lovers of Canadian musician Leonard Cohen, who at 75 years and "very close to God," promises to different generations of viewers a concert more than three hours.

Destak / Lusa | destak@destak.pt

The show is in charge of promoting Everything is new, whose boss, Alvaro Covões, to explain the reference to the almost divine nature of Cohen: "There are artists who are above the average man and one of them is Leonard Cohen. It's one of those pictures that are already very close to God, whatever one believes in God. "

The concert in Atlantic Pavilion is that the third Cohen gives in Lisbon since 2008 and follows the global launch, next Tuesday, the album "Songs from the Road," which, in a pack of CD and DVD gathers 12 classics of the artist, recorded in 2008 and 2009 on stage in Canada, United States, Britain, Israel, Germany and Sweden, among others.

For Alvaro Covões, charisma Cohen is due to its exceptional performance as a "poet and communicator," and also the attitude of "gentleman's gentleman" which shows on stage, to captivate audiences with its entire moments of conversation between songs.

"Anyone who likes music and poetry comes out of a concert of him with the feeling of seeing one of the nicest things in your life," says the promoter of Everything is new.

Leonard Norman Cohen was born on September 21, 1964, became a respected poet even before devoting himself to music and was acclaimed by audiences and critics soon on his debut record, with "Songs of Leonard Cohen" in 1967.

Over the following decades, has established itself as one of the great names in international pop music thanks to songs like "Bird on the Wire," "I'm your man," "Dance Me to the End of Love," "Hallelujah" "Suzanne" and "Take this waltz."

Their current tour began in 2008 and came to end a break of 15 years in his career as a live shows. That return has coincided with the celebration of its 40 years of connection to Columbia Records label, in partnership with whom released albums like "Songs of love and hate" (1971) "Various Positions" (1984), 'I'm Your Man (1988) and "Ten New Songs" (2011).

At the level of interpretation, the record of Leonard Cohen is characterized by its serious tone and its tone of voice.

In composition, in turn, is distinguished by the smoothness of their ballads and poetic density of his letters, in which sex, spirituality, religion and power are always addressed in the consciousness of how evasive may be the answer to questions such determinants for the human condition as such.

For Alvaro Covões, these are, after all, the "timeless themes". "Love, relationships between people and kindness are the things that matter to everyone," says the promoter. "That's why these songs traverse generations and persist."
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

http://www.destakes.com/redir/13fa5583e ... 54358d9fac

Leonard Cohen at the Atlantic Pavilion, Lisbon

Gentleman of the darkness came back to Lisbon for the third consecutive year for new "lap of honor." Three hours of music delighted Atlantic Pavilion very well composed.

lisbon rc74551dritacarmo-3cf0.jpg
Concerts that end with standing ovations abound. Already concerts that start well, not many are seen. But that's exactly what happened last night when, after the entry of the musicians on stage, greeted with polite applause, the audience of the Atlantic Pavilion overjoyed with the third "appearance" in three years of Leonard Cohen in Portugal. Cohen, it is worth remembering it, celebrates 76 years this month, but proved to be able to withstand three hours of "playing game" - the concert started at 21.15 and ended close to 01:00, with a half-hour by half . More than 40 years after the first album - Songs of Leonard Cohen, 1967 - The Canadian attracted the largest room in Lisbon a diverse audience: distributed by benches and seated audience counted not only the finest outfits and hairstyles, as some proud Holders of visual indie, gothic or metalheads (not forgetting that is Leonard Cohen song "Sisters of Mercy"), a crowd whose ages to the naked eye, we would say quedar is between 30 and 60 years.

At 76, we said, the creator of "Hallelujah" has no difficulty to kneel for several songs in playing or jumping returns to the stage between encores after moments or delivered to their three gorgeous female backing vocals (Sharon Robinson, who has written and recorded with Cohen and the Webb Sisters affectionate, also owners of an independent career and, in the final concert, accompanied "If It Be Your Will," Cohen harvest of 1979, with harp and guitar). But in a first encounter, is the voice, not the physical agility or the sly smile, impressing on Leonard Cohen. In his eighth decade of life, the voice of "Bird on a Wire" is of a gravity and solemnity reminiscent of the wrinkles and gravel last years of Johnny Cash. The Creeper gets his baritone to serve "Dance Me to the End of Love" ("I'm the creepy," warned a bystander behind us), which immediately formed the submission to such arrangements as these songs wear in 2010. Perhaps because of the presence in the band of Spaniard Javier But some of the themes sounded more vaguely Mediterranean (But it is to play bandura instrument families of the mandolin, guitar and 12 string). The "pedal steel" Bob Metzger undertook to install aa folk in the heart of the show, while the saxophone Dino Soldo not always sounded sufficiently distant from one 80 years less subtle, and keyboards Neils Larsen spotted together with the garrida ink soul / gospel. These were the languages most spoken in the first part of the concert, a serene journey with highlights in "Is not No Cure For Love," "Bird on a Wire," "Everybody Knows," "Chelsea Hotel # 2" or "Anthem ", delivered to the safe and applauded Sharon Robinson.

Dressed as usual dark suit and hat, Cohen appeared along the first part, more convincing as closer to its image as a "gentleman of the darkness, wrapped in a certain asceticism evident in" Everybody Knows "or" Who By Fire " . This idea was strengthened with the second half of the show, whose powerful trio has opened for "Tower of Song" - mysterious, floating among the synthesizers handled by the Cohen - "Suzanne" and "Sisters of Mercy." For many and deserved praise that the artist has woven its musicians, to see him sing any of these songs practically alone, or with the band in a dormant state, you get the impression that Cohen, his voice and his aura would be sufficient to fill and marvel the Atlantic Pavilion. Even if we forget everything we know about his enforced stay in a Zen monastery, the truth is that the rigor with which, often with eyes closed, lashes out each syllable and mumbles every word that emanates a nearly religious hypnotizes those present.

Then of course there are the classics that Leonard Cohen has offered the world and the world thanks, absorbed and returned yesterday evening - the "Hallelujah", one of the songs with more versions on the planet and that the Atlantic holds the record for mobile phones lit in the audience, the "I'm Your Man" with our man to take his hat playfully (one of many simple but effective tricks guaranteed), to "So Long, Marianne" (madness and celebration possible, the public already foot) and "Famous Blue Raincoat" with the signature breathy fatal ("Sincerely, Leonard Cohen") to snatch a night of warm hearts affections. On the verge of great little ecstasies, in which there are still smiles exchanged by Idol fans and "First We Take Manhattan", the farewell to the tune of "I Tried To Leave You" and "Heart With No Companion" eventually serve more to soothe than to whip up sentiment. At the same time, proved what we suspected: this may have been the third "lap of honor" by Leonard Cohen in Portugal, but none like this gentleman to reap the rewards with such elegance and dignity.

LEONARD COHEN at the Atlantic Pavilion, 10 SEPTEMBER 2010 - MATCHING

1. Dance Me To The End Of Love
2. The Future
3. Is not No Cure For Love
4. Bird on a Wire
5. Everybody Knows
6. In My Secret Life
7. Who By Fire
8. The Darkness
9. Born In Chains
10. Chelsea Hotel # 2
11. Waiting For The Miracle
12. Anthem
(Second part)
13. Tower of Song
14. Suzanne
15. Sisters of Mercy
16. The Gypsy Wife
17. Feels So Good
18. The Partisan
19. Boogie Street
20. Hallelujah
21. I'm Your Man
22. Take This Waltz
Encores
23. So Long, Marianne
24. First We Take Manhattan
25. Famous Blue Raincoat
26. If It Be Your Will
27. Closing Time
28. I Tried To Leave You
29. Heart With No Companion

Text by Lia Pereira
Fotos de: Rita Carmo/Espanta Espíritos
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by "hawkeyepbl" - Thanks!

"Hallelujah"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEiZlU50wWo
magdasto

Post by magdasto »

I'm not able to express my gratitude and the overwhelming happiness I feel.
setlist
setlist
It was truly a concert of my life: all of my favourite songs!
Thank you very much Mr. Cohen, Mrs. Robinson, The Webb Sisters and the Band.
Thank you, Cohenites, for beeing there and sharing the moment with me.
Gracias a mi Marido por estar a mi lado a pesar de no coincidir en los gustos musicales.
I would like to make a special mention to the Crew Member that kindly gave me a setlist from this wonderful concert. It's a detail that means a lot to me. Thank you very much, Sir, for this beautiful souvenir. Thank you for handling it directly to me. Somehow you could see I was the right person to treasure this piece of paper... OBRIGADA.
Thanks a lot.
magdalena
Beyond the myths and the masks the soul remains alone...
lmc

Post by lmc »

Greetings!
Yet again a fabulous show in Lisboa with a fabulous audience, classic set list but the audience was really great and LC seemed really touched and moved by the great welcome and warmness:)
Cheers
Luis
2008: Lyon / Lisbon / Nice / Vienna x2 / Paris x 3
2009: Nantes / Paris / Lisbon / Colmar / Nimes / Barcelona
2010: Gent x 3 / Lisboa / Strasbourg / Tours / Lille
2012: Ghent 12th, 14th, 15th / Paris x 3 / Madrid / Lisboa
2013: Paris / Bruxelles / Rotterdam / Amsterdam
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

magdasto wrote:I'm not able to express my gratitude and the overwhelming happiness I feel.
SETLIST LISBOA 10.09.10.jpg
It was truly a concert of my life: all of my favourite songs!
Thank you very much Mr. Cohen, Mrs. Robinson, The Webb Sisters and the Band.
Thank you, Cohenites, for beeing there and sharing the moment with me.
Gracias a mi Marido por estar a mi lado a pesar de no coincidir en los gustos musicales.
I would like to make a special mention to the Crew Member that kindly gave me a setlist from this wonderful concert. It's a detail that means a lot to me. Thank you very much, Sir, for this beautiful souvenir. Thank you for handling it directly to me. Somehow you could see I was the right person to treasure this piece of paper... OBRIGADA.
Thanks a lot.
magdalena
Thank you, Magdalena, for the most beautiful and heartfelt concert report. I had tears in my eyes sharing your joy. Yes, every one of the hard working crew members are wonderful and kind to the loyal fans. The setlist you have is a very special one and I am so glad you have one. There is an element on the lower right that makes it extra special. It is a Hamsa bearing the Hebrew words "Shana Tova", For A Good Year, a traditional Jewish greeting for "Happy New Year. This is something you will not see on many setlists. This greeting is usually spoken during the 10 days of the High Holidays which culminate on Yom Kippur, this year on September 18.

There are many others on this Forum who could explain the significance of this much better than I can, but here is a brief description of the symbol.
The Hamsa hand is a popular apotropaic talisman for magical protection against the evil eye. The word 'Hamsa' means "5" and refers to the five fingers. The number "5" is a powerful number and represents defense, power and fortune.

The Hamsa hand is a prominent Jewish motif that can be found almost everywhere: charms, door entrances, Jewish jewelry, blessings for home and much more. According to the tradition, the Hamsa hand protects the ones who display it in their homes or wear it around their necks. Many believers place the Hamsa hand in their homes and at their work place to ward off the "evil eye". Hamsa hand is also believed to bless the ones who own it with good fortune and success. Shaped as a hand with five fingers, the Hamsa hand is also known as the hand of Miriam, the sister of Moses and Aaron.
I am so happy for you that you have this setlist. You are blessed.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Chema

Post by Chema »

Great show and great meeting!! Curiosity: in "Take this waltz" he sang I Want You, I want you in Spanish: te quiero, te quiero :D :D :D
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by "2p1rola" - Thanks!

"Dance Me to the End of Love"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBFWFsR6iBQ

"In My Secret Life"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpoSh4VbtJo

"Tower of Song"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJgo-frfK4o

"Anthem"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8xbbttBGq4

"Born In Chains" - a different spoken introduction by Leonard?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWQjpMQu_zU

"Who By Fire"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jml3XQZuS38
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by "anabeatrizabreu" - Thanks!

"Suzanne"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToZNMKY3wRI
davidmg

Post by davidmg »

I would just like to thank Leonard Cohen and the gang and the people of Lisboa who attended the concert last night.

He was magic as was his band.

The audience surprised me with their affection and enthusiasm and at one stage it seemed to get to Leonard. Well done :!: :!:
:D :D
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by "alittledropofpoison" - Thanks!

"Ain't No Cure For Love"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg8DXg5Eos0
JaimeB

Post by JaimeB »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH MR. LEONARD COHEN FOR A WONDERFUL EVENING OF SONGS OF DESPAIR AND HOPE!

Before going to the concert, I heard a woman my age (fifty something) saying "Oh L Cohen, I used to hear his songs when I was a teenager", meaning she is over it now... On a next ocasion I´ll try to explain her how wrong she is. I´m going to post some photos in my blog: http://www.pintur-as.blogspot.com
JaimeB

Post by JaimeB »

Where can I see the lyrics of LC new songs?

Return to “The World Tour 2010”