CONCERT REPORT: Sankt Margarethen, Austria, Sept. 5, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
neo

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Römersteinbruch St. Margarethen, A, Sept 5

Post by neo »

Lieder der Sehnsucht und des Trostes
06.09.2010 | 18:42 | SAMIR H.KÖCK (Die Presse)
Leonard Cohen lockte an diesem ziemlich kühlen Abend im Steinbruch St. Margarethen ins Labyrinth der Liebe. Es waren 28 Lieder, die unterschiedlichste Lesarten des Begehrens kommunizierten. Über drei Stunden lang.

Früher wähnte Leonard Cohen seine Kreativität in Gefahr, wenn er zu lange Zeit mit derselben Frau verbrachte. Es ist wohl auch die immer bedrohlicher werdende Peitsche der Sterblichkeit, die den amourös Unsteten nun schon länger an die Seite der Pianistin und Sängerin Sharon Robinson drückt. Sie blickte Cohen, der am 21.September 76 Jahre alt wird, während des mehr als dreistündigen Konzerts immer wieder besorgt an – etwa wenn er vor seinem famosen Gitarristen Javier Mas in die Knie ging oder ausgelassen hinter die Bühne hüpfte.

Cohen hat die Spannkraft eines unvergänglichen 50-Jährigen, und er nützt sie, um reichlich von seinem Œuvre zu geben. An diesem ziemlich kühlen Abend waren es 28 Lieder, die unterschiedlichste Lesarten des Begehrens kommunizierten; Lieder der Sehnsucht und des Trostes: „And I sing this for the captain, whose ship has not been built, for the mother in confusion, her cradle still unfilled.“ In Cohens Wertekatalog steht die Sehnsucht höher als ihre Erfüllung. Mystikerin Teresa von Ávila formulierte schon im 16. Jahrhundert: „Es werden mehr Tränen über erhörte Gebete vergossen als über nicht erhörte.“ Dieses Zitat könnte Cohen in seiner Jugend in Truman Capotes „Answered Prayers“ gelesen haben. Der kluge Verzicht, den Cohen immer wieder durch Rückzüge ins Kloster praktizierte, ist ihm genauso wichtig wie die jähe Rückkehr der Leidenschaften. „If you want a lover, I'll do anything you ask me to“ versprach er im klarinettenumseufzten „I'm Your Man“, dessen zarter Puls zu einem trunkenen Tänzchen zu verleiten schien.

Die Maske des alten Mannes

„I've been coming to this place of stone to feel your sympathy“, versicherte er dem Publikum und passte seinen Text auch an Unerfreulichkeiten an. Sang er früher „And if you want another kind of love, I'll wear a mask for you“, so hieß es diesmal ironisch „I'll wear an old man's mask for you“. Dabei fuhr er sich nachdenklich über die markanten Längsfalten seines Antlitzes.

Dass Cohen 2008 diese Tour begann, war primär einem finanziellen Engpass zu verdanken, den er auch ehrlich zugab. Doch inzwischen hat er Gefallen daran gefunden, durch seine alten Songs zu schlurfen. Die führen wie vergilbte Seiten eines Tagebuchs zurück in des feschen Lebemanns wilde Zeiten, als die Verheißungen zahlreich waren und die Verwirrungen tief. Das beseelt dargebrachte „Ain't No Cure For Love“ zeigte Cohens Talent zu emotionaler Verstiegenheit: „I need to see you naked, in your body and your thought; I've got you like a habit.“

Dezent von seiner famosen sechsköpfigen Band begleitet, führte Cohen in Bilder, die in die Popgeschichte eingegangen sind. Er seufzte sich zurück zur Fellatioszene im ungemachten Bett im Chelsea Hotel, fuhr noch einmal über den Riss im berühmten blauen Regenmantel. Unnötig zu sagen, dass seine singenden Damen an diesem Abend einen solchen trugen. Sharon Robinson, Ko-Autorin wesentlicher jüngerer Songs wie „In My Secret Life“ und „Everybody Knows“, beeindruckte mit dunklem Timbre; die äußerst einnehmenden britischen Webb Sisters attackierten die offenen Herzen mit folkiger Finesse. Andere Highlights: „Who By Fire“, „The Anthem“, „I Tried To Leave You“. Den vom launigen Meister immer wieder verschobenen Schlusspunkt bildete das seelendurchbohrende „Heart With No Companion“. Standing Ovations!

("Die Presse", Print-Ausgabe, 07.09.2010)
http://diepresse.com/home/kultur/popco/ ... r/index.do
stella s.

Post by stella s. »

This was my fourth concert since 2008 - and as others have said before it was the best. What made it so special were the small gestures Leonard Cohen made, like putting the hand to his heart (Everbody Knows) and taking off his hat looking right into the audience showing us his "old man's face" (I'm Your Man). Btw. i heard him sing "i'll wear a leather mask for you"at the beginning of the song - it gave me a good laugh, one's obviously never too old to try something new :lol: . After anthem he thanked us for sitting there in the cold and listening to an english concert.

"Who by fire" was was exceptionally beautiful. I have loved that song for more than 25 years but with Javier Mas introduction it becomes even more beautiful. So when I sat there listened to the virtous introduction and waited for the first words of the song, I looked up to the sky and I felt really calm and "so small between the stars, so large against the sky".

"Feels so good" has changed a lot since I heard it for the first time 6 weeks ago in Salzburg. I liked it then but now it's a much better song. The lyrics are perfect now as is the music. I just loved Dino Soldo's mouth harp.

"Born in Chains" had the new introduction ("I was fed the bread of freedom ...") and everone sitting around me was visibly moved by this song.

Before "Take This Waltz" Leonard turned to Roscoe Beck and told him something. I thought, well that's it - there will be no encores today because it's too cold to go on - but then he was so generous to to give us everything plus one song ("Heart with No Companion").

During the encores i suddenly realized that i was shivering because of the cold but it did not matter - my heart had been warmed by the concert. I still feel very calm and warm ...

p.s. i'm sorry that i could not join the meet-up before the concert, but due to some obstacles i arrived late at St. Margarethen ...
holydove

Re: CONCERT REPORT:St Margarethen-Burgenland, Austria, 9/5/10

Post by holydove »

bridger15 wrote:
Paul Zagreb wrote:
tomsakic wrote:new Chelsea Hotel No 2 - double slower than usual and I actually didn't like it. I never fancied this song until 2008/09 re-styling and now it's double slower than it was previously on this tour and it lost the energy it had, imho.
Make up your own minds - for me brilliant when slowed down like this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAWNLssrk0
I agree with you, Paul Zagreb. It is brilliant! To me, LC is "reciting" the song.
---Arlene
Defiinitely sounds like SINGING to me - melodic as ever! But whether you call it speaking or singing, I agree that it's absolutely brilliant & beautiful, & I LOVE the slow version - it draws me in more deeply than ever & allows me to savor every "quark"(is that the name of the smallest particle of matter? Can't remember for sure) of magnificent beauty!!

Paul, thank you so much for the video!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by "arathberg"- Thanks!

End of "Bird on The Wire" -Leonard speaks to the audience - and then
"Everybody Knows"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFmrRH6EAOo

"Famous Blue Raincoat"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvocAGk35rE

"I Tried To Leave You" - includes Leonard's blessing at the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUV8qQgfqOE

"First We Take Manhattan"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBnYdLGc3l8

"The Darkness"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tuvl8J3FTQ

Javier Mas stunning intro to "Who By Fire"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmJEgKuZtAk

"Who By Fire"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tObRY09-Hdo
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

sturgess66 wrote:Video uploaded by "arathberg"- Thanks!
Javier Mas stunning intro to "Who By Fire"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmJEgKuZtAk
That is stunning - close your eyes and listed - its both virtuoso and CD quality.

Thank you so much for sharing.
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded to Vimeo by "geierwally" - Thanks!

"Everybody Knows"
http://vimeo.com/14778902
barbuuuu

Post by barbuuuu »

Hello, friends of Leonard.

I've also been to the sublime concert held by Mr. Cohen at Romersteinbruch. Unfortunately, my camera went off right before the concert, and I could not take any photos... and I feel sorry that I could not capture the magic of the place itself, of the nature, of the music... so I kindly ask you.. if it is not too much of an effort for you to send me any pictures you got, from the hills, the venue, the concert.. anything at all will be mostly appreciated. My e-mail address: barbuuuu@yahoo.com!

I thank you all very much for keeping his songs alive!
Sincerely,
barbu revencu
gallina

Post by gallina »

Hi barbuuu,

soon I will put my pictures on fb. gallina
2009 Budapest
2010 Zagreb, Gothenburg, Florence, St. Margarethen, Bratislava, Las Vegas x2

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2012 Ghent x5, Helsinki, Dublin x2, Verona
2013 Roma, Lucca, Vienna, London
2015 Viladrau
barbuuuu

Post by barbuuuu »

Hi, gallina. Would you please so kind as to share a link with me on this forum or on my e-mail? I appreciate your help,

barbu
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

Brace yourself for a long report :)

We arrived in St. Margarethen at 3:30 PM and met Tom Sakic, Paul Zagreb, Juraj and Luka soon after that. Joined them in the vain hope of gaining entry to the soundcheck. Alas, after a very nice long walk around the picturesque quarry and heroic fighting some security dragons, we had to give it up. Tom and the others headed to the village for a coffee, we went back next to the cafe outside the venue to see if we could catch some notes of the soundcheck and arrived just in time for the first sounds of Dance Me To The End Of Love. After some 45 minutes the soundcheck ended and we had some drink in the cafe where we found the menu quite amusing. They had some funny beverages like "Iced Leonardo dunkel" or "Iced Leonardo hell" ;-)
The gates were open from 6 PM so we went in, looked around and tried to find Marina or other forum members without any luck. We supposed there would be a small bar inside and planned to meet there but the bar was HUGE! Gallina and me brought a bouquet of red roses (and a small present) which we placed on the stage but Leonard and the band was set at least 5 meters or more back, behind a thick bunch of cables and the line of monitors so there was no way they could even notice it - which fact almost led to disaster. During the intermission, Gallina felt a bit adventurous, climbed onto the stage to push them farther. The security guy practically jumped on the stage in an instant and was so angry that I thought we may be thrown out. Was a bit scary, honestly. The rest of the show passed off without further incidents but we felt the guy’s eyes glaring on us very suspiciously until the end.
The concert was wonderful but the weather was chilly. Even wearing many layers of clothes we felt the cold. The band members started wearing more and more clothes. Scarves first, many of them, then gloves and long coats (the girls). I didn’t understand first why someone from the technical stuff kept running in during the songs, placing little somethings to their feet but then I realized that those things were small fan heaters. I hope no one caught a cold. They kept going on and played every each songs of the Wiesbaden setlist including the very last one, the Heart With No Companion. 29 songs! I hope they could feel how much we loved them. At least we managed to warm up during the encores dancing and jumping happily in the front of the stage. After the last accords they all left the stage practically running, and a few seconds later we could hear the loud ovation from the side where people spotted them leaving. Summing up the evening: if was wondrous, enchanting, imposing, unforgettable. We went back home walking on clouds. Thanks to Leonard, the band (and the crew, including the track drivers) for this great pleasure. Yes, our darling, we’re satisfied.

My camera can’t really deal with such poor light but I’ve uploaded some photos of the day here: http://picasaweb.google.com/11714547764 ... 9057833170

Eva
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

Oops, the link to the album should be this:
http://picasaweb.google.com/11714547764 ... argarethen#
Eva
gallina

Post by gallina »

Friends,

I can't write so well in English as majmunka, but I'm agree with all her holy words. It was an unforgettable evening. The weather was cold, but the show was very very HOT! (in my opinion majmunka is exaggerating about security guy danger - actually I was no afraid at all).

Thank you Leonard and band again to lead us in heaven every time! For me it was one of the most beautiful concert (the other one was in Florence).

Thank you majmunka for everything, especially for the laser carved wood pendant. It was a beautiful gift.

I can't describe very well my feeling with words, but I prepared my St. Margarethen album and put it on fb. Hope you will enjoy it. :razz:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 991e29c32a
Last edited by gallina on Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Budapest
2010 Zagreb, Gothenburg, Florence, St. Margarethen, Bratislava, Las Vegas x2

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2012 Ghent x5, Helsinki, Dublin x2, Verona
2013 Roma, Lucca, Vienna, London
2015 Viladrau
neo

Post by neo »

Thank you very much for sharing your great pix gallina and majmunka!
Wimmer

Post by Wimmer »

http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=1 ... 1639299722

Some pictures from the evening in St.margarethen. Not so good.
Marina
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Wimmer wrote:http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=1 ... 1639299722

Some pictures from the evening in St.margarethen. Not so good.
Marina

Marina I love the way some of your photographs came out in the shadows!!

Like - this one -

Return to “The World Tour 2010”