CONCERT REPORT: Sankt Margarethen, Austria, Sept. 5, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Sankt Margarethen, Austria, Sept. 5, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

This is Tom Sakic's post from another thread - about the location of the concert today at "Sankt Margarethen im Burgenland" -
tomsakic wrote:St Margarethen is in Burgenland (in Burgenland-Croatian language: Gradisce) as the full name of the town is Sankt Margarethen im Burgenland. The town is near Eisenstadt (Croatian: Željezno), on the border with Hungary.

This is important to say as there are few Sankt Margaret(h)en, and there's also Sankt Margarethen im Lungau, in the Austrian state of Salzburg, and there's also St. Margarethen an der Sierning - so this show is in BURGENLAND.

The venue, Römersteinbruch, is renowned opera stage (Opernfestspiele St. Margarethen). The site of Opernfestspiele St. Margarethen already announces Leonard Cohen: http://www.ofs.at/p-20722.html so apparently they're the local promoter.

Picture bellow: "Opernbühne im Römersteinbruch Sankt Margarethen mit Kulissen für Carmen"

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=21635&start=45#p227358
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT:St Margarethen-Burgenland, Austria, Sept 5

Post by sturgess66 »

And news from Joey that the sound check has already taken place -

Soundcheck in the sun.

Posted on September 5, 2010
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/106 ... in-the-sun

Sharon Robinson sits down for a quick interview with Ljubljana national television.

— Romersteinbruch - St Margarethen, Austria
Rafael Gayol fields questions from the press as the sun sets before showtime.

Roscoe Beck relates some old tour stories to round out the days press junket.

sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT:St Margarethen-Burgenland, Austria, Sept 5

Post by sturgess66 »

Not much on Twitter so far today - but here's a few more pictures from Joey -

Twenty minutes to show and the crowd is steady.

Dino Soldo lightens the mood and we’re ready to walk.

Javier Mas leads the into Who By Fire.

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/107 ... ho-by-fire
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT:St Margarethen-Burgenland, Austria, 9/5/10

Post by sturgess66 »

The temp has dropped below 50 degrees and once again the band tried to leave, but the crowd wants every last song on the setlist.

LC & the band say goodnight after Heart With No Companion and quickly do a runner from stage to the transports backstage.
The trip back to Vienna is over an hour and a short ten minutes into the drive our vehicle makes a pit stop to use the bathrooms at the American Embassy.

— St Margarethen, Austria
Many thanks to Joey Carenza for the wonderful photographs and video he provides for every show in his "Notes From The Road."
It is a great enhancement to the experience of all of us who are following the World Tour "vicariously." :D :D :D

I guess the weather turned a bit cold there tonight - but they all should be warming up at their hotel by now.

The fingers and toes have finally started to thaw as we arrive on the outskirts of Vienna.
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/107 ... -travel-to
neo

Post by neo »

A great concert, but it was pretty cold. From the second set the musicians wore scarves and gloves (at least the ones who didn't have to play an instrument...)
I noticed during "Everybody knows", that Leonard Cohen gave the blessing and then drew the sign of the cross across his heart. Someone noticed that at Wiesbaden too.
Despite the cold the band gave everything and the background singers warmed their hands at their coffee cups.

Well, that's it for the moment... we returned home happy and tired...
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

You will hear it from Paul Zagreb, Luka and Juraj, but it seems we agree it's (for each one of us) one of the BEST Cohen concerts we heard.

The name of the venue is "Roemersteinbruch Sankt Margarethen" and it's located one mile from the village of Sankt Margarethen im Burgenland, near Vienna. You already know that LC and cre were in Vienna, so they came at 4m to the sound check and left at midnight for Vienna.

We returned at 4 am (that's 20 mins ago), after 4 hour ride from the venue. For now, before going to bed (I am cold as death), only info I will share is that Leonard did NOT sing "I didn't come to Roemersteinbruch Sankt Margarethen to fool you" - it was too much even for his singing skills ;-)

I hope it's the last open air show on this tour in Europe (I believe it is). It was really cold, the local people expecting it so everybody were wrapped in blankets (!), so there was not much dancing and jumping during encores, the band appeared with shawls after the intermission, and the girls in the gloves and coats and hands in pockets (even LC was doing that when he didn't play the guitar as the show was near the end), while the stage was full of coffee cups after the show;)

Beatiful new introductions for Roscoe and Bob Metzger - some poetic words, and special mention of being friends and in his band for 35 years.

I can compare Römersteinbruch St. Margarethen show only to Salzburg from July 27, so I can note extremely long and amazing, Oriental sounding new intro to Who By Fire by Javier Mas, much better version of The Darkness (Neil Larsen really takes it with him - he was very prominent in the mix of this show, and I liked it), and new Chelsea Hotel No 2 - double slower than usual and I actually didn't like it. I never fancied this song until 2008/09 re-styling and now it's double slower than it was previously on this tour and it lost the energy it had, imho.

Apart of this, the band was just amazing, much better than month ago (although it's understatement for this always great band), the sound was up, and LC's voice was sharp and commanding. If only of this, this show now ranks in my personal top shows, with Lucca 2008 and Venice 2009. (Now, funny thing - my personal top list is all open air shows...)
neo

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Römersteinbruch St. Margarethen, A, Sept 5

Post by neo »

I remember that Cohen sang "I didn't come to this place of stone to fool you"... :)
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Like Tom I couldn't sleep when I got home and am still on a high. Tom's post said it all really. Definitely one of the best if not the best concerts I have seen. When I think about it, my other favourites - Manchester Opera House, Belgrade, Barcelona, Zagreb - are really because of the occasion and/or the place. But this was just pure brilliance - a combination of superb musicianship and an all giving joy at being able to sing these songs to a receptive audience. Sound quality was superb. I guess the fact that everyone on stage was really cold even with the hot coffee, scarves, gloves and (famous blue) overcoats on display only reinforces the fact that this one was special. It takes more than just professionalism to put on such a show in such conditions and really enjoy it! At the end, after I Tried to Leave You I saw Leonard turn to Roscoe and say "Shall we give them one more?", followed by a beautiful Heart with No Companion! It was great having such wonderful traveling companions ... for various reasons I am pretty sure I won't catch another show this year but this was a real highlight. I have a few (not Albert quality) videos and photos! Thanks to all concerned for a magical evening. Paul

Feels So Good - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hD16Ll8GnE

The Darkness - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K9P0W-01fY

Part of In My Secret Life - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELQ7cNYr1ek

I am hopeless at uploading photos here - sorry - but this link should take you to them on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 969&ref=mf
Last edited by Paul Zagreb on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
neo

Post by neo »

"Shall we give them one more?"

Just before the final song there was a short moment of confusion as the band did not know what to play. Then Roscoe Beck put his fist to his heart and the band knew it was Heart with No Companion...
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

tomsakic wrote:new Chelsea Hotel No 2 - double slower than usual and I actually didn't like it. I never fancied this song until 2008/09 re-styling and now it's double slower than it was previously on this tour and it lost the energy it had, imho.
Make up your own minds - for me brilliant when slowed down like this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAWNLssrk0
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
neo

Post by neo »

What did Cohen sing in 'I'm Your Man'?

"I'll wear an old man's mask for you"?
Wimmer

Post by Wimmer »

It's true this Concert it's one of the BEST Cohen Concerts, I have ever heard.
It was really cold this evening. This concert was exetremely long and AMAZING and fantastic. The end from the Concert was
11.45 at the time.
The band appeared with shawls after the intermission.,and the girls and Sharon in the gloves and coats. Leonard Cohen
and his Band was amazing. The sound was superb.
Leonard Cohen's voice warmed the heart and soul. THANK YOU Mr. Cohen and his band members for the magical evening.
After I tried to Leaf you I hear (i was near from the stage) turn to roscoe and say shall we give the one more, and followed
by Heart with No companion .Thank you for this last song. I never forget this.
I have a few phtos and videos. I will try to upload this week.

Just now I'm sitting in the office, tired but I'm so HAPPY: :D

Leonard Cohen sang I didnt'come to this place of stone to fool you..............

Thank you Mr.Cohen!

I can not wait for Bratislava.

Marina
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

neo wrote:"Shall we give them one more?"

Just before the final song there was a short moment of confusion as the band did not know what to play. Then Roscoe Beck put his fist to his heart and the band knew it was Heart with No Companion...
This is so wonderful!!! Thanks Neo.
Little moments that encapsulate the magic of a night. And sure seems St. M was magic.
Very happy for everyone who was there and looking forward to vids.

--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Paul Zagreb wrote:
tomsakic wrote:new Chelsea Hotel No 2 - double slower than usual and I actually didn't like it. I never fancied this song until 2008/09 re-styling and now it's double slower than it was previously on this tour and it lost the energy it had, imho.
Make up your own minds - for me brilliant when slowed down like this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAWNLssrk0
I agree with you, Paul Zagreb. It is brilliant! To me, LC is "reciting" the song.

There is an interview link somewhere on this forum about Philip Glass' experience working with LC on his Book of Longing adaptation. LC gave advice to the singers (which I paraphrase, don't remmber the exact words), speak the song and keep speaking the song and it will come together.

To me, it sounds like LC is speaking the song and I love it.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Paul Zagreb wrote:
Thanks for your video Paul (all of them)! Sounds like another wonderful show!!

I had just been thinking about this "slowed down Chelsea Hotel!" Before I read your post here, I was looking in the Florence thread and had just finishing watching a video from that show - a medley put together by Pier Paolo Silvestri ( http://vimeo.com/14719888 ) that ends with a partial of "Chelsea Hotel" - a slow-paced, and very beautiful, performance of this song! As has been happening with Leonard's shows in general, just when you think you have seen the best - it gets even better. :D

Return to “The World Tour 2010”