CONCERT REPORT: Wiesbaden, Germany, September 3, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
lizzytysh

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Wiesbaden, Germany, Sept. 3, 2010

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Pearlvoice ~

On Page 2, your photos of Leonard are so beautiful. Thank you for them and for the ones of the venue to give us a sense of it all and for your wonderful reporting of the concert.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

Sharon and Leonard Wiesbaden
Sharon and Leonard Wiesbaden
rsz_september2010_060.jpg (7.63 KiB) Viewed 10216 times
Attachments
Before the concert
Before the concert
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
edlosi

Post by edlosi »

and with a serious look said “Was that supposed to make me feel better?”
Thinking about it I also would say it was "bad".
Pearlvoice

Post by Pearlvoice »

PeGu wrote:I was sure, at the time, he said "bad". There was a pause before this remark, and his smile became a kind of broad grin maybe indicating he wanted to take the mock-irony of his thanks for the virtuosity of his keyboard solo even further.
Yes, you might well be right. Maybe he said "bad". I just thought in the context it would make more sense if it was "better". Because he played the solo, got the usual applause, then said his "thank you friends, you're very kind". And then, after he got even more whistling and applause by the audience he made the "Was that supposed to make me feel [better/bad]" remark. I would've thought that the applause was obviously not something to make him feel "bad".

But as Puddingdale said: It doesn't really matter since it was just good fun.

Arrghh - I can't see youtube videos here at work!! I wanna see the Marianne video!! I sure hope they also captured Roscoe when he sang Marianne to the kneeling and smiling Leonard *gggg* ...

Thank you, Lizzy for the compliments. I'll see if I can upload a few more.
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

HI PEARLVOICE,
EXCUSE ME FOR NOT READING
CAREFULLY
UTE
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

...setting up the merchandising stall before the concert....
w10.jpg
w6.jpg
w7.jpg
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Great reports everybody... and fireworks too Wow!

I have to get me one of those Songs of Love and Hate t shirts
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

...i watched this guy slowly putting numbers on the seats....

.....hundertundeins...hundertundzwei....hundertundrei...hundertundvier..hundertundfünf...hundertundsechs….
w14.jpg
….einstausendeins...einstausendzwei...einstausendrei...einstausendeivier...einstausendfünf....
w13.jpg
...all done....
w15.jpg
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

sturgess66 wrote:Uploaded by "maryloo26" - Thanks!

"So Long Marianne"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wym-_SlAA-w
"Come over to the window my little darling, I see you've..." The look on Leonard's face is priceless! I had a good chuckle watching this. Leonard certainly semed to be enjoying himself!.
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Mollydog wrote:
sturgess66 wrote:Uploaded by "maryloo26" - Thanks!

"So Long Marianne"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wym-_SlAA-w
"Come over to the window my little darling, I see you've..." The look on Leonard's face is priceless! I had a good chuckle watching this. Leonard certainly semed to be enjoying himself!.
Mary - I wonder what he saw that made him stop in mid-sentence like that ... ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
The next thing we hear - he's telling her "so long!"
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Aw, this was so great. Thrilled someone captured it
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A couple more videos from "marylou26" -

"The Partisan" - short clip from the screen but I love what looks like "unshaven Leonard" :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYILU4EDfEE

"I'm Your Man" - partial - looks like the very end of the song (you can *almost* read the label in the lining of his hat - almost :lol: )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oev9GqKveKg
Puddingdale

Post by Puddingdale »

sturgess66 wrote:Mary - I wonder what he saw that made him stop in mid-sentence like that ... ???
Hmmm, probably just because he had started the sentence wrong and realized he had mixed up stanzas ;-) What was really cool was that he didn't struggle to find the right words again but instead was so very relaxed, listened to the others and just took his time till the chorus. He must really have felt among "friends". And of course, he was ;-)

Sorry, sturgess, I hadn't seen you had already posted the link to So Long Marianne by maryloo...
Conny

Post by Conny »

newspaper article in today's fr-online :
http://www.fr-online.de/kultur/musik/da ... index.html

Google translation:
Legend on Tour
The same broken heart

Leonard Cohen is back on tour - what a luck. Because: What other man of that age could be so sing about love and longing without being embarrassed?

What a blessing: Leonard Cohen is back on tour.
I do not, "Leonard Cohen said after the second song," when will we stop by here again. But tonight we will give everything. "All these are in Wiesbaden more than three hours of concert, net. It is so remarkable because Cohen, 21 September is 76 years old. 2008 in Frankfurt, he said soberly that he had to tour for financial reasons. That may still be so, he no longer mentioned. But it is still an audience for his good fortune to hear the old man live. His voice is a little deeper, his modesty and courtesy are a little bigger, not his gentle self-mockery has decreased. What other man of that age could be so sing about love and longing without being embarrassed.

"I'm your man," sings Cohen, pulls off the black hat and change the text: "I'll wear an old man's mask for you." He wears this mask with elegance, with a certain nonchalance. The young Cohen comes this evening at the Wiesbaden Bowling Green yet to speak with "So Long, Marianne" and "Chelsea Hotel # 2" with "Suzanne" and "Famous Blue Raincoat", which he signed: "Sincerely, L . Cohen. You can hear the songs differently, of course, they have become memories. They are heard with sadness. But nostalgia is only part of the evening. Cohen has written new songs, "The Darkness", "Born in Chains" and "Feels so good". The latter tells of the tiny pleasures of solitude, but also contains the line: "I got the same old broken heart, but it feels like it belongs to someone else." The new songs have the Cohen-Cohen melancholy and the slow tempo. In the Cohen-detractors have always reviled. In fact, there are often narrative, sung-spoken poems with music they are to the long, quiet river. But the density of the poetic texts, their biblical weight supported by one - similar to Johnny Cash - always becoming charismatic live show voice.

Cohen travels with a lively, brilliant solos with breathtaking precision band. Several times he thanked tenderly by Roscoe Beck, bass, Neil Larsen, keyboard, Bob Metzger, guitar, Javier Mas, sounds, Rafael Gayol, percussion, Dino Soldo, saxophone, the singers Sharon Robinson and Charley and Hattie Webb. Under the harsh September sky, you wish you may drop by Leonard Cohen again. This man will know when it's time to stop. Now this time is not there yet. And the little old man is right: As prevalent in so many parts of the world chaos and suffering, it is a wonderful privilege to give a concert, listen to a concert.

Tour: 27 Sept. Hannover 29 Sept. Dortmund, 1 October Stuttgart. CD, DVD: "Songs from the Road," published on 10 September (Columbia Legacy).

Like fine wine - with 76 enchanting Leonard Cohen his audience at the Bowling Green in Wiesbaden.
Photo: Michael Schick
1976&79: Frankfurt| 2008: Lörrach/Berlin/Frankf./Hamburg/Oberhausen| 2009: Cologne/Berlin/Colmar/Barcelona/Vegas/S.José| 2010: Salzburg/Berlin/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseille/Hannover/Dortmund/Stuttgart/Warsaw/Vegas
2012: Gent/Amsterdam/Berlin/London/Dublin/Verona/Toulon/Paris/Barcelona/Madrid
2013: Paris/Antwerp/Mannheim/Brussels/Rome/Lucca/Berlin/Lodz/Prague/Vienna/Pula/Odense/Manchester/Leeds/London/Rotterdam/Amsterdam
edlosi

Post by edlosi »

1.jpg (8.69 KiB) Viewed 9981 times
2.jpg (9.98 KiB) Viewed 9981 times
http://www.fr-online.de/kultur/musik/da ... index.html
Last edited by edlosi on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”