CONCERT REPORT: Wiesbaden, Germany, September 3, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sue7

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Wiesbaden, Germany, Sept. 3, 2010

Post by sue7 »

mnkyface wrote:
I for one appreciate everything in one concert thread because I often forget to check on tour news at all the different portals like Joey's flickr site, Joey's Notes from the Road, Facebook, Twitter, etc but I do look at the forum several times a day. Also, it's kind of a historical record. Five, ten, twenty years from now, we can look right here and know "the pulse" of the shows- without having to cross-reference different sites like Tumblr and Twitter which may or may not exist in the future.
I agree, mnkyface. Links can go dead pretty quickly, and then one can be left with nothing from a favorite old site.
I have had many hours of vicarious pleasure from reading these posts this summer. Knowing that I wasn't going to be able to go to a single concert felt pretty sad, but being able to see the stage being set up, peruse the tweets, and then be able to read the detailed reports and follow the video links as they came in, has been great. Thanks to everyone who has contributed!
Sue
Pearlvoice

Post by Pearlvoice »

Thank you all for your kind comments. And thank you edlosi for the confirmation of my observations. I can confirm that you sat right behind me ;-) It was nice to meet you there at this wonderful evening. Feels so good :-D
marcbos wrote: I can't say whether things really "warmed up" just before intermission, or if it was simply a function of me being in a more "good vibe" location ....
First of all welcome onboard, marcbos! I'm so sorry to hear about those unholy ignorami around you!! I really think they somehow ruined the first set for you. Because the magic was really there from the very first minute (Puddingdale and edlosi, help me here!) Thank God we were lucky enough to be seated in an area of very well behaved and utterly civilized people (= surrounded by forum members). No smoking or eating. I will never understand how people can be so rude and indonsiderate to disturb their neighbours that much. Apart from that: Thinking about it now, I must say that NEVER during a Leonard Cohen concert have I EVER thought something like "Oh - Anthem! YAY! Reminds me of curry saugages and fries! Let's go and buy some" !??!! A friend of us was equally "lucky". She had a man sitting right behind her who upon arrival at his seat immediately started to eat like there was no tomorrow. Apparantly he tried all available food from every single booth at the venue (including a huge Tarte Flambee) and munched it, loudly cracking and crunching. When she turned around she discovered to her horror that between his legs the man held a large bag which was stuffed to the brim with crisps. However, while she was waiting for the miracle, two women came by, looking for their seats and it turned out that he sat in the wrong block and had to leave. :lol: I'm glad for you that you could at least enjoy the rest of the show undisturbed. Even though it's a shame that you had to give up your own seat for that.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Pearlvoice -your posts are cracking me up. :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the laughs.
Pearlvoice wrote: ...
First of all I almost fell of my chair laughing during "Everybody knows". Oh good heavens... !! I still have to giggle when I think of it. Everything was normal first but then, during the chorus suddenly Leonard started singing ad libs in the style of his early "Memories"-performances. You know what I mean, right? He didn’t sing them into the microphone but we in the front row could hear him. He had that very broad grin on his face and roared "Oooo-hohohooooh- Everyboooodyyyyyyyyy – ooohohoooooooohhh Everybodyyyyy-ohooohoooooo". The band members were laughing too. It was so hilarious and wonderful...
"In the style of his early "Memories" performances." Ohhhhh. I so hope someone posts some video! :lol: :lol: :lol:
This - and Leonard falling "nose to nose" with Javier. :lol: :lol: :lol:
astranger

Post by astranger »

sturgess66 wrote:Pearlvoice -your posts are cracking me up. :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the laughs.
Pearlvoice wrote: ...
First of all I almost fell of my chair laughing during "Everybody knows". Oh good heavens... !! I still have to giggle when I think of it. Everything was normal first but then, during the chorus suddenly Leonard started singing ad libs in the style of his early "Memories"-performances. You know what I mean, right? He didn’t sing them into the microphone but we in the front row could hear him. He had that very broad grin on his face and roared "Oooo-hohohooooh- Everyboooodyyyyyyyyy – ooohohoooooooohhh Everybodyyyyy-ohooohoooooo". The band members were laughing too. It was so hilarious and wonderful...
"In the style of his early "Memories" performances." Ohhhhh. I so hope someone posts some video! :lol: :lol: :lol:
This - and Leonard falling "nose to nose" with Javier. :lol: :lol: :lol:
we certainly need a video of this!
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
edlosi

Post by edlosi »

Thanks pearlvoice, it was really very nice to meet you too.

I read your report and was at the Bowling Green again. :D
pearlvoice wrote:
Because the magic was really there from the very first minute
That's true.
Henning

Post by Henning »

Leonard ..who ?
Attachments
IMG_5342.jpg
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Maulwurf

Post by Maulwurf »

henning,

"leonard who?"+ the picture reminds me of one of the staff guys in berlin saying
"would you please take your seat - THE ARTIST is about to hit the stage!" :lol:

i was wondering what the guys think of the music.
but i remember one of the guys in berlin waving his foot to the beat.
really funny. :D
Last edited by Maulwurf on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

More video. Thanks!

Uploaded by "papabenster"

"The Partisan"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hT8Tft_jLA
Pearlvoice

Post by Pearlvoice »

Henning wrote:Leonard ..who ?
*rotflol* :lol: Oh the poor guy!!

Regarding the "Everybody knows" video: I would actually be willing to PAY for this!! I'd really love to see it again. But keep in mind he did not sing the fun part into the microphone so we'd probably need to bribe the crews' very own cameraman to get a decent recording incl. sound. [Can we set up a fund?] We were really lucky to have seats so close to the stage so we could hear it (after all my 5 hour presale clicking marathon was worth it!!!)

Btw I was just reminded that it's - of course - Javier Maas and not Xavier. Stupid me - I *knew* I shouldn't have typed at that late hour...
Pearlvoice

Post by Pearlvoice »

Maulwurf wrote:"leonard who?"+ the picture reminds me of one of the staff guys in berlin saying
"would you please take your seat - THE ARTIST is about to hit the stage!" :lol:
Yesterday, before the soundcheck, one of the organizers stood on the grass and yelled into his walkie-talkie:
"I DON'T CARE!! I WANT ICE IMMEDIATELY!! NOOOW!! THE ARTIST WILL ARIVE ANY MINUTE!! I NEED THAT IIIICCCEEEE NOOOOOOOWWWWWWW IN THE KITCHEEEEEEEENNNNN!! IIIIICCCEEEE !!!"

And then "the artist" stood there so nice in his blizzard of ice...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.wiesbadener-tagblatt.de/regi ... 354265.htm
Wiesbaden Big One: Leonard Cohen Offers Thousands Indescribable

09/04/2010 - WIESBADEN

By Mara Brown

Leonard Cohen. Photo: wita / Uwe Stotz

It is nearly eleven clock, as Leonard Cohen enters the stage in front of the spa for a new addition. "I tried to leave you, I do not deny," breathes the doyen of the musical poetry with a scratchy voice into the microphone (I tried to leave you) - and the nearly ten thousand, which he just does not want to let go, laugh; are almost happy that he is still there: Prancing step back into the circle of his musicians. He pulls his hat, bowed deeply to his audience and does another song to - this really be the last, but only for today: "Until we meet again," Cohen said goodbye - until we meet again. While he is finally off the stage, the night sky above the spa town of fireworks will be lit: A perfect moment - not the only one that evening.

It's just after seven, as Leonard Cohen opened the concert with "Dance Me to the end of love". He seems almost oblivious, as he so with eyes downcast, her hands always moved close to his face, back to the music on the stage. On two large screens, each movement of the 75-year-olds will be transferred, which appeals to his audience as "dear friends" - dear friends - is sincerely thanked for the warm welcome broadcasting, and with every word, every movement of great modesty.

Magnetic personality

Behind the Nassauer Hof slowly, the sun, the sky show color variations, which occur only in those few days between the end of summer and early autumn. Pink and orange hanging clouds like sweet mounds of cotton candy on the Bowling Green, Cohen sings "Bird on the wire" - and just at that moment orbit amid loud cries birds on the park: When not just any timid beating heart felt in the audience addressed by the songs of Canadian poets, his magnetic personality, but every creature that breathes and lives.

"Who by fire," Cohen sings, "who by sunshine, who by night time" as the day passes slowly into the night and his voice floats on the sound of a harp through the ranks. There are excellent musicians with whom the poet is singing on tour - including Sharon Robinson, who has written several songs with him. Shortly before the break, to the anthemic sounds of "Anthem", he presents them to the public, inform the applause - but what seems like an end of the concert is fortunately only the half.

A great artist - an unforgettable evening

An evening like this was a rare event, while the world is sinking ever further into chaos philosophizing, the songwriter, who repeatedly thanked for the "kind attention to our songs." The second part, he returns with his sunglasses back on the darkness surrounded stage, opens with the personal ballad "Tower of Song" and reaps jubilant applause for the line of text, "I was born with the gift of a golden voice" (I was with the gift of a golden voice born.)

It long does not matter how close or far from the stage, you sit, because everything is full of his music, the gentle wisdom of this clever poet. And when Cohen finally calm, clear voice, on his knees, his indescribable "Hallelujah" strikes up, there it is, in focusing the whole town together with his music: a great artist - and a truly unforgettable concert evening.
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

www (wiesbaden was wonderful) : the venue, the weather, the band
but a very special moment nobody mentioned till now
when leonard came for the first encore back on stage
and we were all standing right infront of the stage waiting for "marianne"
just for a second he was deflected and he had forgotten the lyrics
he went back to roscoe and talked to him
and entered with the second verse

well you know that i love to live with you,
but you make me forget so very much
and he was smiling all over and the audience loved him even
more for this; he is so human
i hope somebody has captured this moment
it never happened before, at least not on this tour

ute
Last edited by oblivion on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
Henning

Post by Henning »

IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Pearlvoice

Post by Pearlvoice »

oblivion wrote:but a very special moment nobody mentioned till now
when leonard came for the first encore back on stage
and we were all standing right infront of the stage waiting for "marianne"
just for a second he was deflected and he had forgotten the lyrics
he went back to roscoe and talked to him
and entered with the second verse
Hmmmm... well, ok then, some change their first names to September. Why not change mine to Nobody ;-)
edlosi

Post by edlosi »

Hi Nobody,

I still like your reports and pictures. :D 8)

Isa

Return to “The World Tour 2010”