CONCERT REPORT: Wiesbaden, Germany, September 3, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
___Sasha___

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Wiesbaden, Germany, Sept. 3, 2010

Post by ___Sasha___ »

I can´t really put into words what I experienced at Leonard Cohen´s concert last night. Every superlative I could use would not adequately describe what happened there last night.
It was my first show ever (thanks to this forum I had a front row seat)and I am really sad that it will be my last one too as I really think this is his last world tour...
Let me try some adjectives: magical, unique, touching my heart and sould deeply come to mind...
His smile just melted my heart and I fell totally in love with the whole band because they are so into the whole thing and give their all.
How good was "Everybody Knows"? AMAZING!!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video - uploaded by "Isegrimm48" - Thanks!

"The Future"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGkokW8OXIc

And - uploaded by "hnickol" - a VERY short clip from outside the venue - but it provides proof that Leonard was there - :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yElwXtDI2Ek
Pearlvoice

Post by Pearlvoice »

I don't know if I had enough coffee yet to tell the whole story but last night, right after the concert, I wrote a report about the funny moments of the concert for my Facebook friends and if it is allright to be lazy I'll just copy and paste here. I can't add much anyhow, except more superlatives in the style of marvellous, outstanding, wonderful, the greatest, bestest concerts of them all.... etc etc. It looked like Leonard and the the whole band truly enjoyed the evening too.

But before the concert came the soundcheck. We could only watch it from a distance but alas, we were glad we could peek in at all. The songs were 1. Feels so good; 2. Darkness; 3. Born in chains; 4. Dance me to the end of love; 5. Who by fire; 6. (the beginning of) Tower of song.

Now to the lazy part, quoting right from last nights post-concert-state, please forgive me any mistakes:

"Gee, you all know the feeling when you come home from the best concert in the world and even though it’s horridly late you’re wide awake and bouncing around. I’m in that state right now and so I thought I’d share with you the funniest moments of tonights‘ Lennie concert in Wiesbaden.

Let me just say in general it was such a wonderful and special atmosphere. The venue is so beautiful of course and when the band came out the sun stood very deep and turned everything into a warm orange light. Puddingdale and I were (adequately) seated in the front row so I could hear how Leonard said to his band "I love the light". Also the audience was great and gave lots of applause, screams and standing ovations right from the start. And the sparks flew from audience to stage and backwards again. It looked like they were all truly enjoying the night. And everybody gave 150%. Of course there was all the magic and the deeply moving moments. But this time we also went thought some really really funny moments. I thought I’d write them down for you as long as they’re still "fresh".

First of all I almost fell of my chair laughing during "Everybody knows". Oh good heavens... !! I still have to giggle when I think of it. Everything was normal first but then, during the chorus suddenly Leonard started singing ad libs in the style of his early "Memories"-performances. You know what I mean, right? He didn’t sing them into the microphone but we in the front row could hear him. He had that very broad grin on his face and roared "Oooo-hohohooooh- Everyboooodyyyyyyyyy – ooohohoooooooohhh Everybodyyyyy-ohooohoooooo". The band members were laughing too. It was so hilarious and wonderful...

Another short but funny moment happened during "Take this waltz". Leonard sang lovely as ever, then hopped over to kneel down in front of Xavier Maas. He did that a bit abruptly and energetic and so he landed very sudden and very close in front of Xavier. Xavier wasn’t expecting him at all and suddenly Leonard was kneeling almost nose to nose before him, singing "I want you, I want you, I want you...!!", and at the same time almost lost his balance because he was so close. Leonard then quickly grabbed Xaviers elbow in order not to tipple over. Xavier gave him such a funny look and Leonard had to chuckle. It all happened within a second but was so funny.

By the time the second set started it had become night and it was pitch black outside. Nevertheless when Leonard appeared behind his organ he wore his sunglasses. Then after his first instrumental solo when the crowd cheered, he thanked them in the usual way, but then didn’t continue to sing, but just stood there, looking really cool, then lifted the glasses, and with a serious look said “Was that supposed to make me feel better?”

The final big funny moment will probably appear in a lot of youtube-videos very soon. The encores had started, the band played the intro for "So long Marianne", Leonard kneeled down at the front of the stage, started singing only a single line then stopped, thought, grinned a bit - - - and had completely and totally forgotten the lyrics. He turned around to Roscoe, Roscoe whispered the words to him but Leonard still smiled and couldn’t go on. The crowd – of course giving him the warmest applause in the meantime – then Roscoe was actually leaning forward to Leonard and sang the lines to him (Leonard still kneeling on the floor, smiling and enjoying himself). He looked and listened to Roscoe but in the end left out the first verse completely. Then the crowd "joined in" the chorus. The next verse of course earned him a big applause again when he sang chuckling "... and you made me forget so many things". Noone was laughing "at" him of course, it was all very cute (sorry about this word but I can’t think of a better right now).

So many special and funny moments... awwww..."

[end of copy and paste job - now time fore more coffee and melancholy lingering]
Pearlvoice

Post by Pearlvoice »

Here are a few of my photos:

But now "cup of coffee in the kitchen", really..!!! 8)
PeGu

Post by PeGu »

Well, although it is not soo long that I have found the way out of my bed after last night's concert, there have already been so many posts here reminding us all of a wonderful concert that it might be hard to add actually new thoughts... However, I should like to try.

What was most striking to us was, right from the beginning, the sheer power with which Leonard and the band played last night. The Lörrach concert two years ago was our first live encounter, and in comparison could be described as 'academic'. Then, I was deeply moved, my wife, however, who came rather to accompany me than to experience Leonard Cohen, enjoyed that night. Yesterday, she said she begun to understand what there is to Cohen. He not only performed the songs for the umpteenth time (if even most of his audience could sing Bird on the Wire backwards, how much more used must he be to those words?), but he gave us the feeling of creating them right now there and then for us. Rhythmic recitation once more was more important than the melodies of the songs. I got the feeling that one or two songs, especially in the first set, were actually sung by Leonard only using two or three notes, the rhythm of the text doing the rest. And how he sang these notes: obviously enjoying the new found depths in his voice more than the musical line, he feasted on those deep, vibrating sounds as long as possible. Even before the new stanza in Bird on the Wire it was clear that this would not be a "Best of as you like it", but a "Look what I can do to songs you thought you knew".
Talking of the new lines. Can anyone confirm my memory of the new variation in Take this Waltz, where Leonard sang "Where Ø(?) doves love(?) to die"?
The three new songs were brilliant. All three of them 100% Cohen, rendering some of Dear Heather even odder in its context. Although I learned to love that album (it took me longer than every other), I felt happy about this return.

There is no way I -- and indeed as from last night we -- shall accept the idea that this might have been our last live concert with Leonard Cohen. The man was so energetic and belongs so much onto the stage that he simply has to go on! Proof of concept? Well, again the comparison with Lörrach. Then, it was Leonard Cohen and Band performing a great concert (and there is no way of saying anything negative about that!), but (or rather and) yesterday, we experienced a unified body of musicians, the poet as primus inter pares. I believe it was this new(?) unity that lead to all the wonderful ad hocs with forgotten texts and adresses to the most unlikely members of the band, and it was this unity that reminded me of the Field Commander Cohen experience (which, unfortunately, I only know from the canned album, but the atmosphere and the mystic bond between stage and audience can nearly be touched there). This time, it was Famous Blue Raincoat that came back to the stage, Field Commander Cohen is bound to come, too.
Lörrach 2008, Wiesbaden Wiesbaden 2010, Mannheim 2013
edlosi

Post by edlosi »

Thank you for this report, pearlvoice.

Everything was just like you described it.
And I should know because I was sitting behind you.

It was MARVELLOUS! :D :D :D
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Pearlvoice - thank you for your most wonderful recap and for sharing the experience - and for your beautiful pictures. I love all the little anecdotes. "Nose to nose" with Javier. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And to PeGu as well. Thank for your most wonderful recap -and for sharing your experience and thoughts.

I hope we are blessed with lots of video from the show. Pleeeeeeeeeese!!! I'll be looking!! :lol: :lol:
marcbos

Post by marcbos »

I am new to this board and very grateful to its members for the richness and diversity of experiences, thoughts, feelings and opinions shared with grace and good humor.

I was at the Wiesbaden concert last night (I came from Paris to see it.) It was the second concert of this tour I have seen (the other being Malmo). I found each to have its own special dynamic. Malmo (where I was in the second row) felt really intense, focused and generally a very very special experience, which I shall never forget.

Last night in Wiesbaden I was in the center about 18 rows back. The light was golden and perfect as the concert began, and the setting was quite beautiful. The eighteenth row is, of course, quite different from the second, but great nonetheless. Perhaps it is inherent to the nature of an open-air venue, but initially, the energy seemed more diffuse, less intense. It was also not helped by the fact that the person on my immediate left was smoking up a storm nonstop, with the breeze blowing smoke right in my face, and the person to my right kept getting up, even in the middle of songs, to get more beer and sausages. He also rarely applauded, to my surprise. Actually, I felt the vibe wasn't quite right, so at intermission I moved to an area on the side where people were standing (to my surprise and good fortune, people were allowed to stand in several areas). The view wasn't quite as good, and standing was a bit less comfy, but the energy far more positive.

I can't say whether things really "warmed up" just before intermission, or if it was simply a function of me being in a more "good vibe" location, but in the end, it ended up being another truly sublime Leonard Cohen experience, difficult as always to explain to others but wonderful and deep. Leonard seemed to be in a fine mood and, as others have noted, joked and "played" in every sense with the band. His phrasing seemed especially interesting last night on several songs. I found Born in Chains (played relatively early in the show) to be a powerful song wonderfully performed and expressed, with a brief spoken introduction before it really framing it beautifully.

I am again addicted and will now try to go to Lisbon or Basel, if I can find tickets.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Pearlvoice,
I love reviews like yours that capture all those details - so very delightful! Someone here quite recently asked how people can go to so many concerts because the setlists are more or less the same. It is because of all those subtleties you so brilliantly brought to life - I always look for those also. Those moments always vary and each and every one of them are absolute gems!
PeGu,
Your line of "he feasted on those deep, vibrating sounds as long as possible" says so much about his performances. The emphasis on words change from concert to concert and these sounds are indeed to be savored. You found the right words in your wonderful review to bring this to light!
Marcbos,
Appreciate your insight and am so glad you found yourself finally surrounded by like-minded individuals so that you could finally enjoy the concert. Even though Sligo was an outdoor concert, my experience both nights was extremely positive. I have been at indoor concerts where the 'vibes' were nowhere near the wonderful Sligo experience. It's all about the people around you that enhance the total feel and it's a shame that you had to move, but thankfully you found the 'good vibe location'. Welcome to the forum marcbos.

Reading all your reviews was time well spent here - thank you!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Isegrimm48

Post by Isegrimm48 »

The concert was the best one, I've ever to. We had high expectations, we knew the "Live in London"-DVD, but we didn't had the slightest idea, how wonderful it would be. Leonard playd 3 1/2 hours and everyone was touched from the atmosphere. The musicians are wonderful as well, they fit together perfect and everyone is a master with his instrument ... I put some clips to YouTube ... low quality, taken with my cell phone, so no one, neither Leonard nor Sony should be offended by that ... just to give people an impression of what they missed, if they didn't make it to Wiesbaden ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz7lgpmBRpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdxtciT-FXQ
Pearlvoice

Post by Pearlvoice »

Hahaha, Isegrimm!! I just saw your videos on youtube and sent you a message there. Just *one* minute ago. Now I log in into the forum and here you are!! :lol:

Thanks for all your videos! That's a great memory. Did you - by any chance - also capture "Everybody knows" ??? :razz:
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by "tzitlee" - Thanks!

"Anthem" = partial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj9CTHFTSjs
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Isegrimm48 wrote:The concert was the best one, I've ever to. We had high expectations, we knew the "Live in London"-DVD, but we didn't had the slightest idea, how wonderful it would be. Leonard playd 3 1/2 hours and everyone was touched from the atmosphere. The musicians are wonderful as well, they fit together perfect and everyone is a master with his instrument ... I put some clips to YouTube ... low quality, taken with my cell phone, so no one, neither Leonard nor Sony should be offended by that ... just to give people an impression of what they missed, if they didn't make it to Wiesbaden ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdxtciT-FXQ
Isgrimm48 - thanks so much for all the video!! :D
Even the firecracker display at the end of the show!
Hope you don't mind - I've listed together everything of yours that I found - below -

"I'm Your Man"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMoVPoPuODM

"The Partisan"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh8VtNvmQ30

"Sisters of Mercy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dSrZRdusMM

"Suzanne"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8t1VGheMq4

"Tower of Song" – at 0:34 – as reported by Pearlvoice above - you hear Leonard say "Was that supposed to make me feel better" :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HsACaAUPRk

"Who By Fire"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGEouVimDQ4

"The Darkness"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu63qLsBcQI

"Anthem"

"The Future"

A terrific capture of the fireworks display after the show.

"Fireworks after the live concert of Leonard Cohen in Wiesbaden"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ5TvYOVTP4
As if it would have required a crowning conclusion
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isegrimm48

Post by Isegrimm48 »

Pearlvoice wrote:Hahaha, Isegrimm!! I just saw your videos on youtube and sent you a message there. Just *one* minute ago. Now I log in into the forum and here you are!! :lol:

Thanks for all your videos! That's a great memory. Did you - by any chance - also capture "Everybody knows" ??? :razz:
Haha, everyone seems to be still excited ;-) So I wasn't aware of you when you passed by *ggg

I put everything I have to YouTube, unfortunately 'Everybody knows' isn't among that .... My Nokia N900 ran out of battery after minutes, the rest is taken with an old Pentax Optio 5Si and has not the same quality ...
Isegrimm48

Post by Isegrimm48 »

Thank you very much for your memorandum :D

Return to “The World Tour 2010”