CONCERT REPORTS: Gent, Belgium, August 20, 21 & 22, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tomsakic

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Gent, Belgium, August 20, 21 and 22, 2010

Post by tomsakic »

The Stranger Song and My Oh My from Gent sound checks: http://1heckofaguy.com/2010/09/18/downl ... undchecks/
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by "GentvoorJulie" - Thanks!

Looks like a media clip - partials from the stage - and interviews with audience.

"Leonard Cohen in Gent"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8lCWrcRJ0A
Evie B

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Ghent, Belgium, August - 20, 21, 22 - 2010

Post by Evie B »

sturgess66 wrote:Uploaded by "MrAndriesevens" - Thanks!

(Video from August 20th)

"Who By Fire" - stunning introduction by Javier Mas!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Ppj-8LJAI
Truly magnificent.
Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
reginemasson

Post by reginemasson »

I saw Leonard 3 times in Gent one time in the public an two times i worked for the drinks thanks to my husband who did the drinking arrangement so i could enjoy the wonderful music three days;thanks to the two dvd's live in London and Songs from the road i can enjoy it over and over again ;i will never forget this thanks Leonard.Regine
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

tomsakic wrote:The Stranger Song and My Oh My from Gent sound checks: http://1heckofaguy.com/2010/09/18/downl ... undchecks/

How did I miss this post until now? I have been wondering about this since I first heard about it! As soon as I get home from work, I am downloading these! Thanks to all concerned!
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

For the Dutch and the Flemish.
Mart Smeets in de Varagids:

Als je erbij was (en dat was ik) kun je erover oordelen: de concerten die Leonard Cohen de laatste drie jaar over de hele wereld gaf, hebben een bijna griezelig door en door gerepeteerde, maar warme sfeer opgeleverd. Ik was in Gent of all places en maakte een bijna perfecte show mee waar de 8.000 toeschouwers (gemiddelde leeftijd: 54.3 jaar, gemiddeld inkomen: 54.300 euro, meest bereden auto: Audi A5) heel netjes uit hun dakjes gingen. Schaf de dvd Leonard Cohen, Songs from the road aan en je krijgt dat gevoel mee dat ik als een dure verworvenheid met me meedraag. De 75-jarige poëet zette ons aan het denken, maakte ons week, liet vooral de dames zien wat ‘flirten’ werkelijk is en werkte zijn show af zoals hij dat al drie jaar doet. Op de dvd zie je opnames uit Tel Aviv, Londen, Helsinki, Stockholm, Manchester, San José en nog zo wat steden waar Cohen en zijn vaste band de avond rood inkleurden. Met zijn statig grijze pak, hoed en donkerbruine stem regeert Cohen over zijn koninkrijk. Er wordt meesterlijk muziek gemaakt. De liedjes die op ons nachtkastje staan, ‘Suzanne’, ‘Hallelujah’, ‘Chelsea Hotel’ (waar hij zingt hoe hij er ooit gepijpt werd), ‘Lover, Lover, Lover’ en het formidabele ‘Closing Time’, brengen ons in een staat van intens rustige opwinding. De dames walsen met de oude meester mee. In zijn armen welteverstaan. De mannen kochten de dure kaartjes en zien hun vrouwen/maîtresses/vriendinnen veranderen in bijna hulpeloos begerige wezens die de teksten van de Canadees niet alleen kennen, maar ook in toepassing gebracht willen zien. Cohen speelt gitaar, hij tokkelt op een soort elektrisch pianootje en hij flirt en hij neukt droog met zijn hele publiek. Aanrader dus voor natte herfstavonden.

Wijbe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
holydove

Post by holydove »

tomsakic wrote:The Stranger Song and My Oh My from Gent sound checks: http://1heckofaguy.com/2010/09/18/downl ... undchecks/
Big thank you to Tom & DrH for this link - and to the wonderful people who made these recordings - BEAUTIFUL!!
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
Somewhat off topic, but:
Lonely Planet lists Ghent as n°7 in top 10 of cities to visit for 2011:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/new-yor ... cles/76165

:-)
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
bridger15

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Gent, Belgium, August 20, 21 and 22, 20

Post by bridger15 »

bridger15 wrote:
pe swijngedouw wrote:thank you, albert, for making memories visible for other people.
those who were on the st.pietersplein get a nice way of explaining to those who were not there, how special these moments are.
i would have liked to tell you this and much more, on saturday night at de gruut, but the place is "not very friendly" for people on wheels, so when passing there, late friday afternoon, with my wife, we could not get in, and everyone was gone already ; on saturday night, at one o'clock, nobody was outside, and i did not want to leave my friend-on-wheels alone, so i just popped in for a quick glance at everyone, and got back home.
if you go to lille, next month, i'll try to meet you there, and then bring you our local stout, as dark and warm as leonard's voice (but less expensive than his concert tickets)

pe
Pe: I thoroughly sympathize with your experience and the situation of your friend-on-wheels. I walk with two canes, having limited mobility and I found all four cities I visited in Europe on this LC adventure were not accessible friendly. Although my situation does not present as many barriers as for your friend-on-wheels, I did find that were many kindnesses shown and many were from strangers. I do want you to know that volunteer organizers always try their best but available facilities do not always pan out. As a North American, I found Europe a difficult place for the less abled. I am sorry we all could not meet and enjoy our common passion of appreciating the genius of Leonard Cohen.

Perhaps, if you contact the Lille organizers ahead of time, they may be able to find an accessible friendly meet-up place. I look forward to reading your Lille report on the forum.

---Arlene
@Pe
I updated my LC Scrapbook with memories of Ghent and included your post. http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com/
I will always remember your generosity and kindness to your friend-on-wheels and your inability to share meet-ups with us because of the accessibilty issue.

I hope your experience at subsequent concerts was better.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Maarten

Meetup Ghent - Saturday, August 20 2011

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
For those that don't check the "Other gatherings" section regularly, I'm planning a mini meetup to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of the Ghent concerts...
Info here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27662

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland

Return to “The World Tour 2010”