CONCERT REPORT: Berlin, Germany, August 18, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Maulwurf

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Berlin, Germany, August 18, 2010

Post by Maulwurf »

well,
it' s not easy to do so, and i would really love to spare you my gloomy opinion...

i think the concert was good. a little bumpy in some situations - but it was good.
but that' s it.
i cannot agree to crystal' s ánd matthias' statements about the venue.
i think the o2-world was a fine venue.
waldbuehne was okay too. the sound was comfortable - at least from my seat at four rows from the stage.
neither of my fears about the sound being physically harming came true.
but i didn' t like the final part - all the people gathering up before the stage for the encores, the crowd singing and dancing and everything. i know: that' s something many of you do like. and i don' t blame anyone.
but that' s due to the venue - it wouldn' t have happened in any arena.
and there was another stain about the venue: the daylight.
i just can' t help feeling there is much of the show' s magic fading in that bright(i know: cloudy - but still daylight) atmosphere.

overall, it was good.
but it didn' t touch me as much as the o2-world shows did.
maybe it' s hard to be touched after some concerts.

that' s a question i wanted to ask you either way:
many of you have seen a lot more concerts than i did. yesterday, i' ve heard people of my age or some older talking about their 10th, 18th or 20th show.
do you got it like a habit and you' ll never get enough?

i mean, it' s always the same show - well, there' s some variance, sometimes they play "hey, that' s no way..." and sometimes they don' t, sometimes there is a song after "i tried to leave you" - sometimes. but the biggest part of the show is the same everytime.
don‘ t get me wrong, i don‘ t mean to mock you. i was asked about that myself – i, who has seen the ridiculous number of four concerts. but there‘ s people asking me „well, he‘ s always doin‘ the same thing again! how can one watch this more than one time?“
when i‘ m asked such questions, there is nothing i can answer.

what would your personal answer to that question be?
i‘ d really like to hear(read) your thoughts on this.

thank you.
crystal

Post by crystal »

Maulwurf,
I had some of the questions you asked myself. As I said, it was my sixth concert and with two more to come this year I thougt it will become a bit much. The feelings I experience during the concerts are always different so it is always a different concert to me although it is basically, as you said, the same. My favorite songs change and my mood is always a different one so I am sometimes closer to laughter and sometimes closer to tears. I feel different after each concert and somehow changed. And no, it is not a habit but a longing for more or once again.
This is hard, I hope I don't sound so confused. But I find it very hard to express all the emotions.
As for the last part when many people stormed in the direction of the stage. I was among them. I don't like it when everybody sings along, but I understand the feeling to get closer to the stage and to move and swing and even dance a little just to express all the feelings and emotions.
Of course that's only how I feel and why I am among them who just don't get enough.
And I hope I could begin to answer your questions which by the way were very helpful to me for an inspection of my own feelings.
Christel
Matthias1234

Post by Matthias1234 »

Maulwurf, thanks a lot for your thoughts about yesterday's concert, I find it very interesting, even if I disagree mostly. First, i agree with the daylight, I found the later parts in the dark better.

But, an arena like the 02-world could stand (and stands) anywhere in the western civilication, once you passed its doors, you are in a place with no history. And therefore I liked that LC played the Waldbühne with its "broken" history. It's a place with a changing history, and it can only be in a town like a berlin, with a "broken" history too.

I also like it when the concert is not too calm and over-organized, to me the music of LC is very much alive and sometimes kind of groovy, so I like it when people dance. Beside of the Berlin Concerts I saw the show in Lörrach too, and that concert was all standing and I felt, it gave the concert a special note, that you where standing close to other people, sometimes the crowd is moving a little bit. But, of course, that's only what I prefer (and I remember, that also in the o2-world, with the encores the people came to the stage).

Because I' ve seen only four concerts, I can not say if it becomes "boring" at th 30th or so. But, even I would surely go to another concert if I could afford it, I really was completely satisfied as I saw Leonard in Lörrach at that "famous" Soundcheck in the afternoon for about twenty minutes. I never thougt that this could happen. All the best, Matthias
Pearlvoice

Post by Pearlvoice »

@Maulwurf: My personal answer to that question would be that when the music, the atmosphere, the energy, the fabulous musicians and - first and foremost of course - Leonard, his presence, his voice, his words, his joy, his love, the radiance and the sparks going back and forth from/to stage, give me such a good feeling then hey - yes I'm going to see and enjoy that over and over again ;-) No matter if it's the fourth or fourteenth time.

I mean, if you like a book do you just read it once? And if you like a dish do you only ever eat it one single time? Do you throw a CD away after listening to it once for it would just be the same if you put it into the player again?

I haven't seen the Berlin concert last night but just read some wonderful critics in German newspapers, one of them gave me major goosebumps. I for once have seen him two weeks ago and you bet I'm looking forward to the next concert in another two weeks. Just my humble two shekel 8)
Puddingdale

Post by Puddingdale »

Exactly my thoughts - as usual - Pearlvoice. :D
I listen to Leonard's music day and night anyway, and as long as that doesn't get boring, I do not think a live concert can. Of course, you have more songs to choose from with a CD collection but Leonard is so much better live than on the Cds that the same songs over and over again seem still surprising on stage. Of course, I have only been to three concerts, so I have no idea how 20 times feel. But thinking about the many concerts/aka spiritual inspiration meetings ;-) my generation has missed already, I think we better hurry and buy some more tickets :lol:

However, even though I do not think the concerts could get boring, I still think they might stop being special when enjoyed too frequently. No idea if that is true but the fear lingers :roll:
Shockvalue

Post by Shockvalue »

While I appreciate all comments the fact remains the shows could be different, and have indeed been different from the 2009 tour. But the difference appears inconsistent which seems a bit unfair for some audiences. I mean there has been enough new material (hopefully with more to come) and some previously excluded songs revisited(eg Singer Must Die, Lover, Lover etc). While there will always be songs that must be included in any LC set, the mix of new material and revisited songs in the set were enough to give a feeling of "freshness" to some concerts. So I can't really understand why this mix has not been consistent and developed in the current concerts. :?:
Pearlvoice

Post by Pearlvoice »

Shockvalue wrote: So I can't really understand why this mix has not been consistent and developed in the current concerts. :?:
Well, my last concert had three songs that are not even released yet (Darkness, Born in Chains, Feels so good) and as far as I know these songs have been played in all very recent shows. As far as I remember a few of the "older" songs had also been replaced with other "older" songs (gee - isn't my English great today?) so to me it was a great mix. The standard setlist also includes a handful of alternates which I believe are beeing added spontaneously. To "catch" one of those "add-ons" is probably a matter of luck and I guess Leonard simply chooses to play them spontaneously, dependent on his mood. (In fact two of my favourites are among them and I would sure LOVE to heard them being played during the next concert ... ) I think they're doing a pretty good job in chosing the songs and keeping the setlist fresh. I must say that from time to time, during the concerts, I sometimes catch myself beeing touched by and drawn towards "old" songs in a completely new way, even if I have heard them beeing played live before. I think that is thanks to Leonards wonderful ability to keep his songs fresh and interpret them so intense, as if he sang them for the first time. So to me it never gets boring 8)
Last edited by Pearlvoice on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthias1234

Post by Matthias1234 »

Pearlvoice wrote: To "catch" one of those "add-ons" is probably a matter of luck and I guess Leonard simply chooses to play them spontaneously, dependent on his mood.
Yesterday, as already mentioned in this thread, he obviously reacted on a big poster with "We Lover Lover Lover You" and played the song after the usual ending with "I tried to leave you". I think, he's "delievering" more than one can ask, so at least some decisions should kept at his current "mood".
Arnold the Frog

Post by Arnold the Frog »

OK, call me stupid. I don't understand the set-list!
Apologies if this is all familiar stuff to long-term
forum members. What is the significance of the
(parentheses), and of the items listed in small type
on the right?
Before they made me, they broke the mould.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

crystal wrote: Thanks to the people in front of the stage with their poster which said "We Lover Lover You".
:lol: :lol: Wonderful!
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Florian »

OK, call me stupid. I don't understand the set-list!
Apologies if this is all familiar stuff to long-term
forum members. What is the significance of the
(parentheses), and of the items listed in small type
No, i won't call you stupid, but i'll try to explain:
As far as i understand it, the titles in ( ) are optional, planed to be played, but with a maybe
LC decides just a moment before if they will really play it or go direct to the next one. A possibility to react to the show,
the reaction of the crowd, maybe even his on mood etc.
The small type songs are songs rehearsed by the band, but not planed to be played (this evening), but LC can throw one of them in spontaneous
if he feels like. (Like he did with Lover,Lover,Lover last night)

Guess thats the way it works, correct me if anybody thinks that i am wrong.
Florian
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video from "Glasermaster" - Thanks

"Suzanne" - a video that gives you a good idea of the venue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpZdtz_Ij28
Arnold the Frog

Post by Arnold the Frog »

My present wild unsuppported guess is that Heart with no
Companion
was actually played, but was left in the right-hand
column through an oversight. A Singer Must Die was
actually played, but either it was in any case a half-expected
option, or it was removed from the right-hand column
because it was in fact performed. A song sometimes
played, but not on the night, would migrate into the right-
hand column without any special mark.

Slightly too much information is being squeezed through too
narrow a pipe, so that some cases are ambiguous, and even a
tiny error generates extra uncertainty. I'm still feeling stupid!
Before they made me, they broke the mould.
coolcohen1

Post by coolcohen1 »

Sorry i am just a stupid dane.
I do not get it is there one or tow treads about Berlin ?

CC
3 times in denmark 3 times in germany 1 in sweden 1 in norway
Concerts 2010 2 times in sweden 1 in Denmark and thenn we take Berlin
And now alsoo going to stuttgard is life not just beutifull ??

http://coolcohen.blogspot.com/
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

coolcohen1 wrote:Sorry i am just a stupid dane.
I do not get it is there one or tow treads about Berlin ?
CC
Just one Marc - and this is it. There was another one that was changed to a "pre concert" thread but I don't think it has been active.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”