CONCERT REPORT: Berlin, Germany, August 18, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Berlin, Germany, August 18, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

I was sure someone had already started a thread - but I cannot find it -

And so it has begun. Leonard and the Unified Heart Touring Company are taking Berlin! :D

30 minutes to the show.
— Waldbüehne - Berlin, Germany
The crowd is pouring in, show in ten!
“In My Secret Life”
“Waiting for the Miracle”
Half-time.
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/972 ... in-germany
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Berlin, Germany, August 18, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

mridley - Got tickets for Leonard Cohen in Berlin! "First we take Manhattan then we take ... " Very excited. 4:11 PM Aug 16th via TweetDeck
PBBMarx - Leonard Cohen today @ forest stage, Berlin http://bit.ly/clz9WW Via @ LC_tour_notes about 4 hours ago via web
Jaap Oosterwijk jaap_- Another hour and then Leonard Cohen! RT @ LC_tour_notes: Waldbuehne - Berlin http://tumblr.com/xisg2m98w about 3 hours ago via Echofon
kaaretrefall - Leonard Cohen at Waldbühne in Berlin. http://j.mp/cAlNnc . Very good! 31 minutes ago via Twitbit for iPhone
Jaap Oosterwijk jaap_- Leonard Cohen is the highlight of good, truth and beauty pauzetweet # 3 hours ago via Echofon
BerlinHamburg - #Berlin Leonard Cohen - Berliner Kurier http://bit.ly/atYQ8o 21 minutes ago via twitterfeed
Leonard Cohen
A charmer to the forest stage

Hallelujah, has the man power! Leonard Cohen (Photo) goes with nearly 76 years still on tour. Yesterday was the Canadian station in the Berlin forest stage - and enchanted as ever his fans. This old charmer! The master sees the sad songs are still to break with his hits such as "Suzanne," "I'm your man" or "Dance Me to the End of Love" especially the hearts of female fans. Three hours will deduct Cohen languishing show with songs full of love and sadness. And mourn the fans: It could be Cohen's last appearance in Berlin.
http://www.berlinonline.de/berliner-kur ... 15879.html
weltenbuerger1 - A friend at Leonard Cohen concert just held her phone up for 1/2 hr for me to listen as I couldn't be there ;) - Suzanne: http://3.ly/7xnq 23 minutes ago via web
Mike Ridley - Leonard Cohen at Berlin's spectacular Waldbuhne was extraordinary. Incredible band. Nearly 4 hr performance. Legendary. See this tour. 3 minutes ago via TweetDeck
NEWS - sparklers and cheering for Leonard Cohen in Berlin
Wednesday 18 August 2010, 23:53 clock
Berlin (dpa) - At his German audience can count on the Canadian song poet Leonard Cohen with 75. In the evening, filled the Berlin Open-air arena forest stage for his concert with more than 10 000 listeners. Spellbound by Cohen's timeless ballads, they lit at dusk sparklers and thanked the old master with the grave deep voice with cheers and applause. The concert is the German opening of Cohen's World Tour 2010th
http://de.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyna/ar ... um=twitter
Conny Voordendag voordendag - birthday gifts received ... Leonard Cohen in Waldbühne in Berlin. Fabelhaft. Now sleep. http://twitpic.com/2fzx4m 5 minutes ago via Twitpic
Last edited by sturgess66 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Closing Time, but as it happens, we have time for a “couple more.”

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/973 ... e-time-for
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

This is a pre-concert article I guess - and Google translation strikes again - :lol:
http://www.bz-berlin.de/kultur/musik/wa ... html#bzRSS
Berlin concert
Waldbühne: Leonard Cohen enchants

18th August 2010 21.51 clock

Leonard Cohen (75) has also blessed this year in Berlin with his wonderful music.
Reuters Pictures
Leonard Cohen creates it again and again the audience to cast its spell

If Leonard Cohen comes to Berlin, Berlin comes to Leonard Cohen, on Wednesday evening, also in the forest stage. Few other singers so with dignity as he aged.

His sometimes 40-year-old hits like "Hallelujah," "partisan" or "Sisters of Mercy sang" Cohen with an emotion that may not have been more cheesy War. One had the feeling that the young Cohen's songs for the old Cohen wrote this. His sometimes melancholy music seemed pretty gracious - especially with the sparklers, the more numerous, the darker it was lit up.

And each song as Cohen moved to his hat to appeal to the audience applause to thank you for was simply touching.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/kultur/leona ... s-1.989822
Leonard Cohen to tour
Tranquil Age Bass

Of Kurt Kister

The feeling of many household until his late forties Anfangssiebziger would be much poorer without him: Leonard Cohen, wise old bard, is back on tour in Germany.

Next month he will be 76th This is a veritable age for everyone, and once for one of his money is still with the kind of music deserves to be called ignorant

Weiser age bard on tour in Germany: The 75-year-old Leonard Cohen. (© AP)

Leonard Cohen, however, the Canadian poet with eastern European Jewish roots, makes no pop music. He has written songs, some of which are already expected to Leitliedern the last third of the 20th century. In addition, would be the feeling and association of many budget until his late forties Anfangssiebziger between Seattle and Oslo, between Edinburgh and Lörrach much poorer without "Suzanne," "Chelsea Hotel" or "Tower of Song."

After a 15-year absence from the stage began in May 2008, Cohen to tour again. Since then he has in many Concerts occurred in Europe and Canada, in the U.S., he was also, however, sporadic. The Americans were not already so much more to do with the Old World Bards of the dark feelings. On Wednesday, Cohen wanted to appear in Berlin, with further dates are in Stuttgart, Hannover and Dortmund.

Anyone who has attended in the last time as a concert, who suspects that the young Cohen actually his songs has written for the old Cohen. His voice has changed, from the former muttering a depressive baritone bass is a serene old age has become.

The senior takes his audience by the hand and stroll with them through his repertoire of "Tonight will be fine" to "Hallelujah". He has fun, and the concerts take a break at the three hours. Leonard Cohen was perhaps not always young in dignity, but its kind of old age in dignity, and moreover on the stage, is remarkable.

Even before his first plate ("Songs of Leonard Cohen", December 1967) published volumes of poetry and a novel from his pen. Even if his later records (such as "I'm Your Man," in 1988 or "The Future", 1992) should not be underestimated, are the first three albums, especially "Songs from a Room", 1969, the canon of popular music the last century. It is no surprise that Cohen's music has been covered by many other bands.

Cohen has aged a more relaxed relationship found for dealing with people. Before that, he disappeared in the course of his life every now and then like from the larger society.

In the sixties he spent some time on the Greek Hydra of Iceland, where it came to things with a certain Marianne, friend of a friend what his fans the beautiful song "So Long Marianne brought. In the nineties, Cohen lived a few years in a Zen monastery in California, where it took the name Jikan, silence.
Image distance on

What his relationship to women not always easy. In the seventies he was once married, a son and a daughter Come from the marriage. With money he could handle moderate, at least to interpret processes against his ex-manager and an investment firm out. Besides the fact that he enjoys with his most recent concert series fans, he deserves it even money that he has lost otherwise.
Maulwurf

Post by Maulwurf »

i' m just back from boogie street. now it' s done.

sturgess,
i was that certain "someone" who started the first thread. its "career" continues under new name^^

it was quite interesting to watch some of the cohenites in action.
but still i think i' ll try to sell the other tickets i purchased.
i' m afraid, taking those other shows might be too much.

i hope that you had a pleasant night with mr. cohen and the band.

greetings
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi maulwurf,

Sturgess was not at the concert. She is an intrepid gatherer of internet information! I am very curious about your comments. Please expand upon them when you can. Personally, I can never get enough and thrive on each concert, but your feelings do intrigue me.

Diana
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Diana - if you look up - way up to my original post here - :lol: maulwurf is responding to my comment -
I was sure someone had already started a thread - but I cannot find it -
~ Linda
leonardo

Post by leonardo »

I just sent the setlist to Maartins thread.
It was a good cocert, great atmosphere at Waldbühne, Berlin - you are not in a city, you are in a park , a wood around you.concert scheduled for 6.30 pm
admission at 4.30 pm, we were there at 3.30 pm, some hundred people already there.
wheather was very insteady - one our before the concert rain started - fortunately enough only for a few minutes, then sun come out.
my wife and I where at the wheelchair places, upper rank sun vanished behind the old high trees only at 8.00 pm.
We´ll go to Hannover next month, a hall, but we will never forget an openair venue like Berlin Waldbühne.
By the way, after the last thong, in this case Lover... usually Leonard pleases the visitors to drive save home.
He thanked god, that I did not let it not did it rain during the concert
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

setlist from Kadir
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
tigrib

Post by tigrib »

2008 Berlin, Hamburg, Oberhausen, Cologne, Berlin, Colmar, Barcelona, Las Vegas, San Jose, Salzburg, Berlin, Strasbourg, Marseille, Dortmund, Stuttgart, Las Vegas 2010
2012 Ghent (x2), Berlin, Moenchengladbach, Lisbon
2013 Berlin ... Pula ... ?
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

I had intended to go to he Berlin concert and just watch and listen, as I expected to be very far away from the stage given the free seating policy.
I ended up in the second row... Big thanks to Anne (womanfromaroom)...and got to work !

First we take Manhattan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRyqusXwXBs

The last song.
Lover Lover lover,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iPQpU98HRc

enjoy.

Albert.
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
Matthias1234

Post by Matthias1234 »

Just a few words before work has to start. For me, of all the three concerts in Berlin, yesterday has been the best. Mainly because of the venue, much better than the awful 02-arena, first of all the sound was much better. Surprisingly, it seems for many people - even after two years of the world tour - the first concert. But for the atmosphere it's quite good, if some people still are suprised, how good the concerts are. My personal highlight, after deepest wishing and not more expecting, after "I tried to leave you" - he played "Lover Lover Lover". I guess, we have to thank those guys with the poster, if I remember right, "Leonard, We Lover Lover Lover You". All the best, Matthias
MrCohenInBerlin

Post by MrCohenInBerlin »

IrishAL wrote:
First we take Manhattan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRyqusXwXBs
Watching this video gives me goose bumps all over. Just like last night. All I can say is: Thank you Mr Cohen, see you next time.
crystal

Post by crystal »

This was my sixth concert since he started performing again in 2008, my third one in Berlin and I was wondering before the concert started whether or not I will feel now I've had enough. At the end when we were climbing once more the stairs to go back home there was this familiar longing: it is never enough and I can't wait for Strasbourg and Marseille and if or when I can see him next year I will do so.
The concert itself was in my opinion the best of the three Berlin concerts. This is probably due to the venue. Although the weather was not what everybody had hoped for, at least there was no rain during the concert, although there was a short shower before. In the end I needed all the clothes I had brought, but that was no problem.
I had the impression that they needed the first half of the first half of the concert to get into the mood and let it swap over to the audience. For me it really began with when they started with Who by fire and after that it was once more very wonderful.
Of the three new songs I liked "Feels so good" the best, for the other two I need some more time. But this was the same with very many songs from him which are now favorites.
I was in tears when he started Famous Blue Raincoat and when they didn't stop with I Tried to Leave You and played Lover, Lover, Lover I was overwhelmed. Thanks to the people in front of the stage with their poster which said "We Lover Lover You".
Now, tired and full of pictures and music back to work.
Once again, thank you Leonard Cohen and the band for a wonderful evening.
Christel

Return to “The World Tour 2010”