CONCERT REPORT: Göteborg, Sweden, August 12, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
coolcohen1

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Göteborg, Sweden, August 12, 2010

Post by coolcohen1 »

Liamberney wrote:How good is this, just like a re-union! To log on and see all these recent posts from the wonderful people we met in Gothenburg. And even as I write I can see Arlene is also here on this thread, posting youtube links-hello Arlene, are you home yet?

Rachel, thanks for your (belated, but worth waiting for) post and good wishes, and you're right, we have so much more to catch up on. Marsha, you surely must be back at work? Thanks also for your posts here, Gothenburg was clearly very special for you (you did have the best seat in the place!) Arlene, I'm still looking forward to the snippets you have from 'backstage' you're clearly a scholar of LC, and not sure I thanked you properly for your updates on the 'Bird on a wire' thread. Szilvia, it was also a pleasure to meet you and to share your awe of the evening. I know Florence will be very special for you.

To Bob, Marc & Hannah, it's just a shame we did'nt have more time to talk and get to know each other. Eva, once again, thanks for all your work in organising a special night.

I'm sure we are all following the 'last concerts' news and who knows?
:D
Love to you all

Liam & Kath
Thanks yes a bit of a shame if i had know it would be like that we would have taken a bus later
Kindly
CC Marc
3 times in denmark 3 times in germany 1 in sweden 1 in norway
Concerts 2010 2 times in sweden 1 in Denmark and thenn we take Berlin
And now alsoo going to stuttgard is life not just beutifull ??

http://coolcohen.blogspot.com/
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

I apologize for taking so long to post a report. First off, I would like to thank Eva Falk (Courage) for all of her organizing work.
* Eva Falk *

Among her efforts, Eva organized a terrific pre-concert dinner. It was wonderful to get together to see old friends and meet new friends. I haven't seen Rachel and Bob since Nashville. Rachel and Bob, you have been present at both of my highlight concerts. I loved Nashville the best on that leg and I loved Gothenburg the best on this leg.

Marsha was a terrific travel friend in Gothenburg and always came up with great ideas. Liam and Kath, I got to know at a smaller get together with Marsha and Rachel (Bob had a meeting) the night before the concert. A perfectly charming couple and I hope to see you both soon. Have I convinced you yet to come to the desert oasis?

It was a joy to meet the famous "olympic monkey thrower", Szilvia/Gallina who also happens to shoot awesome photos. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =549498623

I didn't get to spend much time with Marc and Hanne at dinner but I did get to know them better at the Berlin Waldbuhne concert. Thank you again to Marc for saving me a seat in the front row in Berlin and to Hanne for her kindness.

Wendy and Tony were not able to make the dinner meet-up but we had a chance for a mini get-together before the concert started.

(from: Liam Berney)
The band came on a little late (20mins) at 19.50 to a warm welcome after some good natured slow hand clapping
What we didn't know then, but learned later from Joey's "Notes From The Road", the audience was late getting into the arena, so the UHTC held up the start of the concert to accommodate the latecomers.
It was raining for days and there was a major festival going on, so traffic, getting around town and getting taxis was very difficult. Yet, when LC sprinted on stage, he was the one who apologized for being late. My goodness, what a state of graciousness he was.

I also didn't realize this was the 200th concert until I read it on Joey's blog. That certainly was a thrill to be present for that.

(from: Mabeannie1/Wendy)
I thought this was an amazing, powerful version of A Singer Must Die. I hardly dared breathe for fear of spoiling the magic. It was the best of the three versions I have heard so far, 2 of them live (Oslo and Goteborg) and one via YouTube (Sligo).
This was my first time hearing "A Singer Must Die" live and it was thrilling, the HIGHLIGHT of the concert for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyGPhghMlEE
So I decided to use the audio from my own video as the music background for my Gothenburg Forum Fan Slideshow video.

Entering and leaving the Scandinavium

* Joey Carenza III *

I had quite an adventure when I entered the Scandinavium about an hour before concert time. I was allowed to enter on the accessible ground level to avoid all the stairs. So I showed up at the side of the building at the designated entrance and first I ran into Rafael Gayol coming back into the arena after a stroll. Oh, he was so sweet and charming and I asked him to give Dino Soldo a small package I had with a pair of red socks. And of course, had a photo taken. Next I ran into Ryan Patrick Murphy, Lighting Director, another sweet man and another photo. Ryan said to someone, "He will take our picture". When I looked at the "he", it was Ed Sanders. OMG, you are Ed Sanders. More photos. Then Joey came out of the production office and more photos. (All the pics are in my Fan video.)

After the concert, first there is a Dino/Red Socks story (which will be in a separate post on Dino's thread).
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13616&p=251674#p251674

I went back to the same hallway where I entered earlier to arrange with Security for a taxi. Security tried very hard to get me a taxi, but because of the heavy rains, there were non available. Security invited me to sit on the only chair in the hallway, which looked mighty familiar, Javier Mas's extra chair. Yes, the UHTC carries a duplicate chair just in case and I got to sit in it and watch the load-out take place. Wow, what efficiency. What speed.

* Chris Bynum *

And what impressed me the most was seeing Chris Bynum who was working one of the hardest. Here is a Back-line instrument technician, an accomplished musician and he is just working his darndest pushing the rolling crates and moving and carrying things like the oriental rugs to ensure the load-out is perfectly organized. Very impressive! In fact, they were so speedy on the load-out, Chris apologized to me when he had to ask for Javier Mas' chair to load it on a truck.

It took along time for a taxi to arrive and I missed the post-concert drink-up, but the wait was well worth it.

Here is my Gothenburg Fan slideshow video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y1fUD_iyU0

Thank you to Szilvia/Gallina aka Olympic monkey thrower for letting me use some of her beautiful photos
and also to Joey's blog for the wonderful shot of the Scandinavium marquee.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Thank you Arlene for a wonderful remembrance of your time in Gothenburg! What a story! Especially the serendipitous meeting with everyone, and sitting on Javiers extra chair while getting to observe the "load-out". Your video is, as always, delightful! Great photos of everyone, and wonderful to see Eva....she and I have been trying to connect since Copenhagen in October of 2008! lol...perhaps the next tour!

Diana
mutti

Post by mutti »

Arlene that was such a treat to watch your slideshow! It brought so many smiles to my face...especially with Leonard singing softly in the background.
Thank you! great photographs too.
I like the words you chose under some of the photos especially your acknowledgements of Chris Bynum, Joey Carenza, Ed Sanders...
very nicely said..and true in my opinion.
Nice surprise to wake up to this morning...
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Arlene,
Even though I was unable to access your facebook photos, as always, I thoroughly enjoyed your wonderful slideshow and your review of the show with all the personal recollections. These are so precious. Thank you so much. 'A Singer Must Die' - no matter how fantastic the videos (and this one is) nothing can compare to the live rendition - it is overpowering!
Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
gallina

Post by gallina »

Arlene,
this is a fantastic slideshow, thank you very much for doing it. I like it a lot, and I'm just feeling to be there again. Imagine: we had so lucky to be in the 200th show (and it was the longest one- 3 and a half hours, 32 songs). Incredible!

Thanks again for the beautiful memory-images. -gallina-
p.s: see you in !!!!!!!!!!!!
2009 Budapest
2010 Zagreb, Gothenburg, Florence, St. Margarethen, Bratislava, Las Vegas x2

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2012 Ghent x5, Helsinki, Dublin x2, Verona
2013 Roma, Lucca, Vienna, London
2015 Viladrau
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

MaryB wrote:Arlene,
Even though I was unable to access your facebook photos, as always, I thoroughly enjoyed your wonderful slideshow and your review of the show with all the personal recollections. These are so precious. Thank you so much. 'A Singer Must Die' - no matter how fantastic the videos (and this one is) nothing can compare to the live rendition - it is overpowering!
Warmest regards,
Mary
Thank you for your kind words, Mary. I just wanted to clarify that the Facebook photo album belongs to Gallina/Szilvia. She was kind enough to let me use some of her beautiful photos in my slideshow video.

* Szilvia Szanto *
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =549498623

---Arlene

gallina

Post by gallina »

Mary, this is the link for my facebook album:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 4c6ba6b4c1
2009 Budapest

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2015 Viladrau
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Thanks Arlene for clarifying this. Gallina, thank you for the access to your lovely photos. They look familiar, perhaps because you had access to them on a different thread. Anyway, it was wonderful to see them again!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
gallina

Post by gallina »

Off topic: ecological catastrophe in Hungary. Infos and imagines:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23169&start=0
2009 Budapest

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2015 Viladrau
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

I finally organized all my Gothenburg posts, added some additonal memories and pasted them on my LC Scrapbook.

http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com/

Gothenburg was my favourite concert experience of that leg of the tour. So many highlights and an indoor concert as well. :D

---Arlene

gallina

Post by gallina »

Oh, thanks Arlene, it was really good to see your nice memories.
-g-
2009 Budapest

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2015 Viladrau

Return to “The World Tour 2010”