CONCERT REPORT: Helsinki, Finland, August 10, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Helsinki, Finland, August 10, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

I couldn't find a concert thread and I know we will need one.

Here are pictures of the Hartwall Areena -

And more info here -
http://www.hartwall-areena.com/en/index.php?id=66
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Helsinki, August 10, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

A few people have sent tweets -
PoetsOfTheFall - Just saw the great Leonard Cohen live. Unbelievable charisma, great band, beautiful music! 21 minutes ago via API
AndreasHS_ - Thank you, mr. Leonard Cohen. about 2 hours ago via web
mbuzz_biz - Music legend Leonard Cohen concert in Helsinki http://bit.ly/chiCYQ about 3 hours ago via API Canadian singer and songwriter Leonard Cohen is currently present in the Helsinki Arena. http://bit.ly/chiCYQ about 3 hours ago via API
:D
Leonard Cohen Quotes cohenquote - Leonard Cohen in Helsinki. You asked me to tell all about it, but, forgive me; I have no words. No living man makes me cry like Cohen. less than a minute ago via web
tanjavalisalo - Attended Leonard Cohen concerts in Oslo and in Helsinki. I feel priviliged. 8 minutes ago via web
snuf -Out with the girls - wife and mother - to see Leonard Cohen at Hartwall Arena. http://twitpic.com/2dfopu about 10 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone from Helsinki, Southern Finland
Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
terok

Post by terok »

Too tired to analyze very deeply, but felt a bit like the hand brake was left on until the encores. I don't know if LC had some trouble with his voice, or was there something wrong with sound settings, or did the audience just wake up a bit late, but I didn't feel the intimacy there was last time 2 years ago. The Partisan was incredible though. All in all, well money's worth. Leonard Cohen with hand brake on still wipes the floor with any other performer.

One thing you don't want to hear in concert is that your third row tickets have been sold twice, but hey, there's some very good seats just a few hundred meters further away. But as they say, what doesn't kill you only makes you bitter.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hello terok,

I am sorry that you didn't have a good experience tonight, although by your comments you still feel Leonard is far above any others! From past experience I can almost guarantee you that there was nothing wrong with the sound system...the sound engineers with LC are the best in the business and they can make a basketball arena sound like an intimate concert hall. So far we seem to have had only tweets about the concert and all those are 100% positive! I'm looking forward to hearing other reports, including one from Jarkko. I can't comment on Leonard's voice but it was perfect in Ireland!!!

Can totally understand the wiped out feeling, and although you didn't go into detail, there seems to have been some awful problem with seating. All that can contribute to a somewhat negative response (lol...had nothing to do with seating but you have NOOOO idea what I went through with buses in Sligo trying to get back from a concert...talk about negative!!!! :roll: ).

Looking forward to more responses...
All the best,
Diana
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Linda....many thanks for starting this thread! I was about to do so myself, as I was going nuts waiting for tweets or comments on the concert, but think that was mainly due to Jarkko and Eija only returning from Krakow about 6pm tonight...hope they made the concert in time!

Diana
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

I think Joey must have lost his connection - or something. I did see his first tweet early this morning - but the second one did not appear on twitter - at least not for me.

Sun is shining and the heat is on in Finland. The locals are telling us it’s the hottest summer ever in Helsinki and they are hoping it rains to cool things off. After the near flash floods in Stockholm, our team is quietly enjoying the sunshine.

— Helsinki, Finland
Hartwall Arena

— Helsinki, Finland
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/931 ... ki-finland
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.hs.fi/kulttuuri/artikkeli/Ba ... 5259241578

Not a great translation on the part of Google - but -
Ballads Grandmaster Leonard Cohen haikai full arena stage

08/11/2010 1:23

Veli-Pekka Leppänen
Pasi Autio / Lehtikuva
Canadian singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen appeared
at the Hartwall Arena in Helsinki on Tuesday.

Leonard Cohen intoutui spring 2008 tour and the popularity of kohahti approximate the heavens. World Rounds lasted one and a half years, and the audience was close to two million.

A couple of weeks ago I began in Europe last tour, and tonight a good-humored Cohen (born 1934) run on a platform jolkotti Helsinki Arena. Full areenallinen audience was at once accompanied him to hear the opening song Dance Me to the End of Love next pace.

Cohen's support were the same six multi-instrumentalist and singer than the three already in October 2008 concert in Helsinki, and artists with the common tone is two years, even muhevoitunut. Cohen's humor, especially sävyttyneet moments of the Spanish guitar wizard Javier Mas'in had with a high level of delicacy.

Popularity of the hardest hits on Tuesday raised as Bird on a Wire, Everybody Knows and Chelsea Hotel. March coordinated shades Partisania may even be considered as a kind of turning point in the concert, and I'm your Maniin embedded ironiakin sank hereästi audience.

Cohen appeared as a soloist alongside Sharon Robinson, whose mellow Boogie Street received a strong response in the audience.

Today, Cohen's concerts, it is surprising severity grades: she does not want to get off the stage as an encore demands will not end. Arena concert was completed in only three of six additional encore and after a number.

"I tried Thurs Leave You," Cohen began the last song, and jytisevästi encouraged the audience tore into laughter.

A total of 29 songs contained more than 3.5 hours and lasted for large concert testified that Leonard Cohen has still given plenty of fans. The software had been added some new songs of his few, but of course, rootstocks are many favorites from the 1960s onwards.

"I did not come to Helsinki Thurs Fool You," Cohen deformed Hallelujahin words. And was also on stand by.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video from "Vuode" - Thanks!

"Suzanne"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz8da_kA_L8
terok

Post by terok »

ladydi wrote:Hello terok,

I am sorry that you didn't have a good experience tonight, although by your comments you still feel Leonard is far above any others! From past experience I can almost guarantee you that there was nothing wrong with the sound system...the sound engineers with LC are the best in the business and they can make a basketball arena sound like an intimate concert hall.
Thanks Diana, reading my comments afterwards I realize they do seem like I didn't have a good experience, but I can assure you, nothing could be further from the thruth! The only concert i can compare this one, is the only other L. Cohen concert i've seen, and as you said, last time the engineers made that same hockey arena sound like an intimate concert hall, this time it sounded more like a hockey arena. But I really don't want to put too much emphasis on negative, it still was one of those special events in my life so far.

We weren't the only ones suffering from seating problems, we were finally seated next to couple of ladies, who told us they were sold tickets to the seats that didn't exist at all.

The concert ended with Leonard thanking Jarkko for bringing him back to business (not exact words, but the key idea). Those thanks I gladly take part in.
Pasi

Post by Pasi »

Tero, you should send a reclamation e-mail ( reklamaatio) to Lippupiste or whoever it was that sold the ticket to you, it was Lippupiste if I remember correctly. You will get at least some of your money back. Same thing happened to me a year ago at a concert..I think I got 50 % back since the seat I got was not as good as the one I had paid for.

As for the concert, just amazing. We were at 9th row and the sound was perfect.
Amazing band and amazing performer.

Highlights for me were Partisan, Famous Blue Raincoat, So Long Marianne and Suzanne.

He did promise to come back so here's one hoping it happens.

One of the best concert experiences in my life for sure.
Pasi

Post by Pasi »

Google has mastered many things but not the Finnish language..!

"I tried Thurs Leave You," Cohen began the last song, and jytisevästi encouraged the audience tore into laughter."

:shock:
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Our group that took the Air Berlin flight from Krakow to Helsinki arrived on time to the Hartwall Arena (full house, 12-14000). What a magnificent concert! It is unbelievable that Leonard and the band are so full of energy, ready to give everything they've got, night after night!
I have to keep these first comments short, because we have a number of members here, and now we are going to have a city walk. More later!!!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
tanjatuuli

Post by tanjatuuli »

Yesterday was one of the best concert experiences of my life! I was absolutely immersed in the music. Did anyone write down the set list or get it after the concert? I remember parts, but not all of it... I'd love to make a play list for myself to relive the experience.

It's amazing how Leonard's voice is so strong and beautiful. I don't know much about singing, but I've come to understand that when you get older, it's more and more difficult to keep your voice in shape. His voice has clearly changed a lot over the years, but definately not for the worse. Gave me the chills. Also, the band really seemed to enjoy playing together. That has a really big impact to the audience's experience, at least for me personally.

The Finnish audience warms up a bit slowly, but in the end the atmosphere was awesome when people gravitated towards the stage. For the last songs I got to be in the front row. Before that I was seated on the sixth row. I'm one of those people who has to express their enjoyment in music with moving, dancing, singing along... and yes, screaming. :) I hope those seated close to me and my friends weren't too bothered by our enthusiasm.

Today it's a bit difficult to concentrate here at the office... Well, clearly, since I'm here. :)
reverandH

Post by reverandH »

It was truly a great experience. I enjoyed myself. Only other thing to compare it to would be the other show two years back that I've seen. The songs played was pretty much the same and in same order but that's ok. Very glad to hear Chelsea Hotel and Sisters of Mercy. The new songs was pretty nice also. I hope he'll come back some time.

Setlist is posted on viewtopic.php?f=44&t=22360
Waiting for the miracle... ...and the miracle came.
jeanne

Post by jeanne »

reverandh....waiting for the miracle ..and the miracle of leonard cohen came...love that thought .... so much human error unfortunately occurs..... but miracles rarely do........ his presence is enough for me......thanks for that reminder.....jeanne

Return to “The World Tour 2010”