CONCERT REPORT: Oslo, Norway, August 6, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Oslo, August 6, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/08/07/kult ... /12865914/
"Heavenly Hitparade"
Leonard Cohen (75) met every expectation in Oslo Spektrum yesterday.
He gave a concert that will not be forgotten. Photo: Kristin Svorte

FREDRIK Wandrup
fwa@dagbladet.no

Leonard Cohen gave everything in Oslo Spektrum

Dagbladet): Always the same elegant, wearing black hat, striped, dark suit and a gray shirt buttoned to the neck, no tie.

How to Leonard Cohen nearly smådansende on stage, smiling and bowing to his knees in front of his Spanish guitar Javier Mas.

He is already under way with "Dance Me To the End of Love", the first song in a parade of songs that almost captivates the 8000 spectators.

Lifting his hat
With two guitarists, a blower, bass, drums, keyboard player and three female choir performs Leonard Cohen's songs for a devoted, Norwegian public. A concert that gives the impression of calm and musical meditation on the texts and melodies. With a humble singer in the center, who frequently lifted his hat and puts it on his chest in honor of the public, medmusikerne and for life itself.

In perfecting arrangements, with a particularly pleasant sound and lighting a delicate sprinkle Cohen songs over the saddle in a stream of sweet.

The doomsday voted "The Future," "There Ain? T No Cure For Love," "Bird On a Wire," "Everybody Knows," "In My Secret Life," "Who By the Fire" (with a great guitar intro by Javier Mas), the dark blues, The Darkness, "" Born in Chains, "" Chelsea Hotel # 2 "," Waiting for a Miracle "and the last number in the first section," Anthem. "

Spontaneous
With his deep voice fairs Cohen presented his message. Lyrics, the words are just as clear and important as the music. Cohen sings his grief over the world, his prayers for forgiveness, visions of possible and impossible love, expectation and disappointment, sin and salvation, light and darkness. Often, he goes down on his knees as he sings, as if to squeeze the words into the microphone.

Having performed these songs, only the gods need to know how many times he gives them new life, spontaneous and lingering at the same time, as if he performed them for the first time.

Playing guitar
The first division took the breath away from people, it is if possible even more intimate after the break. Cohen plays only keyboards, guitar page, providing low-key but powerful versions of "Tower of Song," "Suzanne," the fabulous "The Singer Must Die" and "Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye"

The 'Feel So Good "follows" The Partisan ", a huge drama in the power of a guitar solo by Javier Mas, this musician from Barcelona, who have been so vital important to Cohen's concerts the later time.

But also the other musicians contributing to the highest degree of magic that radiates from the stage, both with an elegant and complete solos.

Giving everything
Cohen appears to be a mixture of mild doomsday prophet and affectionate but demanding lover. And he does not give up, he sweeps in with "Boogie Street," "Hallelujah," "I'm Your Man" and "Take This Waltz".

Then he comes back several times, with "So Long Marianne," "First We Take Manhattan," "Famous Blue Raincoat," "If It Be Your Will" and "Closing Time". This is the deadline for me, but he tends to express it in the end, "I Tried Before Thurs Leave You". He can do it in the end, to leave the room, after over three and a half hours in the Oslo Spektrum. He said initially that he would give everything. And he has certainly done
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

It would be fun some time to have Cohen sing his songs in Google translation. I would especially enjoy (in this case for a
Friday night concert is Oslo) hearing the famous "I tried before Thurs. to leave you." Thankfully, in this case he failed to make it. Tonight, Stockholm's concert! I have an amazing room in what I think would be called the rondel (like a large bay window) of a historic-looking building in the Stureplan section of Stockholm. Fortunately the windows are incredibly thick as young Swedes were partying five stories below at nightclubs across the street for the entire night. But tonight us old decrepids will be partying by sitting and listening to Leonard Cohen.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

From Marianne (of the song):
Leonard's consert in Oslo changed the concrete hall of Spectrum into a Cathedral.
3 and half hours. Have never read such ovations in Norwegian newspapers!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

jarkko wrote:From Marianne (of the song):
Leonard's consert in Oslo changed the concrete hall of Spectrum into a Cathedral.
What a beautiful description by Marianne. This tour really is showcasing Leonard and the band at an absolute peak. It is a magical time!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
remote1

Post by remote1 »

goldstei wrote:"Waiting for the Miracle to Come," (with considerably revised lyrics from that on the CD)
I don't suppose anybody remembers what the revised lyrics were, or is there a recording somewhere? Pleeease....
"We are so lightly here"
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

awaiting another miracle, eh? my guess he will do it again tonight in stockholm when i suspect there will be more folks us-tubing. stockholm meetup is set for 4 p.m. today at cafe 60 in downtown area.
remote1

Post by remote1 »

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :D
"We are so lightly here"
clo

Post by clo »

Lovely to hear that Jarkko - but I would dearly love to know what it must feel like for her all these years later to hear , not only Leonard, but 10,000 people
passionately singing - "So Long Marianne"

Do you know -or could you ask her???
2008: Dublin(2), Lucca, Cardiff,
2009: Dublin(2), Lisbon,
2010: Sligo(2)

There are things you can't reach. But you can reach out to them, - Mary Oliver
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

clo wrote:

Lovely to hear that Jarkko - but I would dearly love to know what it must feel like for her all these years later to hear , not only Leonard, but 10,000 people

Good point clo!!!! I'd be interested to know the answer to that too!!!!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I would also like to know if Marianne and Leonard are friends after such history?

Cheshire gal
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Cheshire gal wrote:
>I would also like to know if Marianne and Leonard are friends after such history?

Leonard is not unfriendly towards anyone, and Marianne was there to see him. A warm comment she had about the experience, too.
clo

Post by clo »

clo wrote:

Geoffrey,
Can you throw any light on this at all ?
2008: Dublin(2), Lucca, Cardiff,
2009: Dublin(2), Lisbon,
2010: Sligo(2)

There are things you can't reach. But you can reach out to them, - Mary Oliver
gilly-rjd

Post by gilly-rjd »

Leonard's consert in Oslo changed the concrete hall of Spectrum into a Cathedral.3 and half hours. Have never read such ovations in Norwegian newspapers!
A few words, one short sentence - no details or descriptions - and Marianne has said so very much.
- 2008 - Birmingham - 2009 -Liverpool - 2010 - Sligo, Lille
2012 -Guent, Paris - 2013 Bournemouth, Manchester, Birmingham
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From "itriedtoleaveyou" - thanks!

"Tower of Song" - nice performance by "Leonard in pinstripes!" :D - and good video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3mmxlp5ngE
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

clo wrote:
>Geoffrey, can you throw any light on this at all ?

well, firstly, the correct norwegian pronunciation of her name is 'ma-ri-an-neh' with four syllables. in his song leonard anglicised it to the three-syllabled 'ma-ri-an'.

our paths have crossed only once, and the only song we spoke about was 'bird on the wire'. she said to me (if my memory serves me correctly) that leonard had written it for her. i feel not that i am being indiscreet in telling this because i believe identical information has appeared in a norwegian magazine. she said she was there at the cottage on hydra when he wrote it, that he was ill (had influenza or a cold?), and that she brought him cups of hot drinking chocolate. he looked out of the window and saw a bird sitting on the telegraph wire. marianne and i conversed in her mother-tongue, and i enquired as to what type of bird it was. she answered with no hesitation "det var en spurv" ("it was a sparrow"). she is a nice lady, very warm-natured and approachable, and it's easy to understand how she and leonard would fit together quite well. i can imagine she would be moved very much by seeing him on stage, and having 8,000 people singing her name - that is only natural.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”