CONCERT REPORT: Oslo, Norway, August 6, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
gilly-rjd

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Oslo, August 6, 2010

Post by gilly-rjd »

[quote="Geoffrey"]musicmania asked:
>And how would Anjani feel?
Last edited by gilly-rjd on Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- 2008 - Birmingham - 2009 -Liverpool - 2010 - Sligo, Lille
2012 -Guent, Paris - 2013 Bournemouth, Manchester, Birmingham
gilly-rjd

Post by gilly-rjd »

sturgess66 wrote:Also - I think it is highly unlikely that Leonard would concentrate, before singing either of these songs, or any of his songs, of putting himself in the mindset of specifically how he felt decades ago - in the case of these two songs - back to Hydra - although those feelings would now be part of "the whole." People say over and over again how much Leonard appears to be totally in the present and what a wonderful feeling it gives to those in his presence. I think he has achieved that ability to be totally in the "now." Not the past. Not the future. But right now. And all would be part of his performance.
This always crosses my mind when I see Leonard perform live. I look at that face, which is often unblinking, and lacking in emotion. But what is he thinking? About getting the words right, a good performance, or the origin of the song? Is he transported back through the years?
We'll never know, of course.
I take it Marianne was at the concert; did anyone see her?
- 2008 - Birmingham - 2009 -Liverpool - 2010 - Sligo, Lille
2012 -Guent, Paris - 2013 Bournemouth, Manchester, Birmingham
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

gilly-rjd wrote:
>Yes, [marianne] probably was the one - most of us have 'the one' and it isn't always the person we are with now.

so you wouldn't mind your current partner going around telling everyone that you are of lesser importance than an ex. you have no need for either dignity nor self-respect? ok.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Geoffrey wrote:sturgess66 wrote:
>People say over and over again how much Leonard appears to be totally in the present . . . I think he has achieved that ability to be totally in the "now."

i don't understand this at all. how is it possible to be totally in the 'now' if one is singing songs one wrote forty years ago?
Easy. Maybe you (and others) can be thinking about what you know about Leonard's experience forty years ago and trying to relate that way, and although it is part of his life and experience - I think Leonard is not particularly, although he would not limited from having reflections. :lol: People are talking here about when he performs presently? Hopefully everyone in the audience is going to be feeling something. Some may have more personal interpretations. But ultimately - we are in the here and now. The songs are wonderful and have withstood the test of time. The thoughts, the emotions? He has lived them for sure - and he still does continue to live thoughts and emotions, his life - etc. But he is giving a performance and is giving it everything he has got.

JMHO

gilly-rad - I don't see him often "lacking in emotion" - even when he appears to be "emotionless." That in itself can be a most powerful emotion. But actually I think I know what you mean because you go on to wonder just what is going on with him.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Geoffrey -are you trying to cause trouble for Leonard by stirring up crap amongst women he has known. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come on - the man has a show to do tonight!! 8) :lol:

Are you going?
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Hi all,

I think in the long run if L.C. had not left his idylic life on the Greek Island of Hydra and also Marianne, he would not be the person he is today. His career would have been very different and he may have lost his spark. He had to have his experience on the road, with its joys and dissapointments, to create such beautiful songs and poems of sorrow and happiness. I would imagine that Marianne looking back may understand that.

She may well have been the 'love of his life'. It is very hard to forget that first love even though there are others you can love.

Cheshire gal
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Cheshire gal wrote:
>if L.C. had not left his idylic life on the Greek Island of Hydra and also Marianne, he would not be the person he is today. His career would have been very different and he may have lost his spark . . . I would imagine that Marianne looking back may understand that.

I have not read anywhere that Leonard "left" Marianne. But if that is true, that for the sake of his "spark" he was willing to sacrifice someone he describes as "always the one", well, that would paint Leonard as a cold, calculating and self-centered egoist incapable of being governed by love. I know you mean well, Cheshire gal, but are you not also being inadvertently unfair to him?
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

sturgess66 jestingly wrote:
>Geoffrey - are you trying to cause trouble for Leonard by stirring up crap amongst women he has known? Come on - the man has a show to do tonight!! Are you going?

I can assure you it is not in my nature to wilfully cause trouble. On the contrary, I have a tendency to avoid controversy, because uncomfortable feelings abound within my person when making waves and receiving attention. So any 'stirring' is completely coincidental and unintentional. I simply reacted to a poster called 'jazz4111' who said Marianne believed that even a sparrow was more adaptable and had more common sense than Leonard, (- Marianne told Leonard: "If a frigging bird can get used to the wire, Leonard, then so can YOU!") Then a poster called 'clo' comes in and tells everybody that Leonard is going around broadcasting that there was really ever only one piece of fluff in his life - Marianne, apparently. All I have done is comment as honestly, unbiased and logically as possible upon the information being spoonfed to me. I do not enjoy causing a rumpus, but cowardly avoiding seeking the truth or asking critical questions has never been an attractive modus operandi either. No, this evening's show will have to proceed without me. I did manage to be present at Oslo, and a superb performance by Leonard was the wages of my exertion, but in the middle of the night I had one of my turns.
clo

Post by clo »

Geoffrey,

You have a fascinating way of 'reading' what people write. :D
2008: Dublin(2), Lucca, Cardiff,
2009: Dublin(2), Lisbon,
2010: Sligo(2)

There are things you can't reach. But you can reach out to them, - Mary Oliver
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Geoffrey wrote: well, firstly, the correct norwegian pronunciation of her name is 'ma-ri-an-neh' with four syllables. in his song leonard anglicised it to the three-syllabled 'ma-ri-an'.
So long, Marian-neh
It's time that we began-neh
. . .
"We are so lightly here"
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Geoffrey - and well - I can assure you that my comment was meant in humor and most certainly not borne out of cowardice, nor meant to stilt any seeking of truth - on the part of you - or anyone. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leonard sings "Don't cry, don't cry anymore. It's over. It is done and it has been paid for." (In the most wonderful performance in Philadelphia that I posted.)

I'm glad that you got to see Leonard in Oslo - I think the set list included "A Singer Must Die" and "Heart With No Companion" - along with "Born In Chains" - and many, many others. From all reports it was a superb show. Wish I had been there. Not sure what "one of my turns" means - but hope it was not anything terribly untoward - and hope that it too is over.
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

sturgess66 wrote:Geoffrey -are you trying to cause trouble for Leonard by stirring up crap amongst women he has known. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It seems to me that most of the "crap" is being stirred up among the women who wish he had known them............... ;-)
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
jazz4111

Post by jazz4111 »

Jesus, you guys! If I knew this kind of ludicrous psychobabble speculation was going to be precipitated by my sharing a very magical moment in my life - I would never have posted it publicly.
Leonard and Marianne were and are both incredibly kind, loving and respectful people who both deserve better than being dissected and analyzed (erroneously I might add) by their fans on this forum.
Jazz
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

You know Jazz4111 you are right and I apologise for the speculation I myself made.

Cheshire gal
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

And while all this has been going on here, Leonard Cohen and the UHTC have given yet another one of their extraordinary concerts - in Helsinki Finland. It is now approximately 12:20 a.m. - August 11th in Helsinki. The wee small hours of the morning - and a new day has begun. :D :D

Return to “The World Tour 2010”