CONCERT REPORT: Oslo, Norway, August 6, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jarkko
Site Admin

CONCERT REPORT: Oslo, Norway, August 6, 2010

Post by jarkko »

This thread is for your concert reviews, photos, links etc.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
BlizzardofIce

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Oslo, August 6, 2010

Post by BlizzardofIce »

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/908 ... y-twilight

Picture is taken from the grand hotel.
Right next to the parlament building in the main street; karl johan.

My brother will stay at the same hotel tomorrow...
I will choke him if he meets cohen...
There are many ways a man can serve his time
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

in Oslo, also in a (different, less grand) hotel next to the parliament (Storting). I'm either staring or snorting at the Storting all morting.

I plan to talk to Leonard to make some minor suggested tweaks with regard to the first half of the program, to move things from outstanding to unbelievable.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

The torrential rains have stopped long enough for the sun to peak out and dry the soaked city a bit.

The crew has already loaded in and the day is progressing without any major hiccups.

The show tonight is sold-out from front to back and more seats are being brought in to meet Oslo’s demand.

— Oslo, Norway
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/912 ... enough-for
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

It's about 6 p.m. here, getting ready to leave for concert (they have been at 7:30 p.m. in Scandinavia--Malmo, quite unusually in my experience, started 10 minutes late, perhaps to accomodate people who couldn't find the mysteriously-located arena).'

Just had dinner at my hotel, where the main choice was between whale and reindeer (really!). You would think you were in fucking Norway or something!!!! I went for the reindeer, fearing arrest otherwise, and discovered that it tastes amazingly like a slightly spicy meatloaf. At §25 (there ain't no dollar sign on computers here--hyou would think you were in fucking Norway or something!!!) a pop, I recommend you bring meatloaf with you.

I'm looking forward to the concert tonight, including those Norwegian jokes that Lenny is so famous for (whooops, mixed him up with Lenny BRUCE!). In case you are wondering I am NOT drunk, I just have a weird sense of quasi-humor. If you have enough of it, you can write song and become quite famous!!!

Bob G.
BlizzardofIce

Post by BlizzardofIce »

1. Half finished. Fantastic.
Got all standard songs, AND secret life,waiting for miracle, darkness,born in chains, chelsea hotell, flood_recitation...
Wonderful who by fire.

Cant wait for the rest.
BlizzardofIce

Post by BlizzardofIce »

Singer must die

Omg...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Dino Soldo takes the first solo of the night and the crowd loves every note.

The show is on. This is why we do what we do night after night, city after city.

All the problems and drama just slip away for awhile when LC counts in the first song.

— Oslo, Norway
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/913 ... -night-and
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Twitter -
stigand - Found my seat at the Leonard Cohen concert at Oslo Spectrum. High expectations! about 3 hours ago via Nokia
freshmess - All of a sudden, I'm at the Leonard Cohen concert tonight in Oslo. about 2 hours ago via mobile web
July oslo - At Leonard Cohen in Oslo Spektrum. The first set was strong. Waiting for the next 18 songs now. about 1 hour ago via txt (translated from Norwegian
stigand - So far very good at the Leonard Cohen concert, but many interuptions for clapping. Hoping for a few more favorites after the break. about 1 hour ago via Nokia
Jørgen Upsaker - Jurgis - Leonard Cohen! — at Oslo Spektrum http://gowal.la/r/214D9 about 2 hours ago via Gowalla
mgcolmenares- Batteries there, Norwegians, who came Leonard Cohen! RT @ LC_tour_notes: Photo: Oslo, Hello. 8:07 a.m. Aug 5th http://tinyurl.com/3ynksr4 via TweetDeck
Vinylp - 3 manned and two remote controlled cameras on Leonard Cohen. # Denoriginalehallelujakameraten 1 minute ago via Twitter for iPhone
AntonioOmm - Leonard Cohen! about 1 hour ago via web
Beate Amundsen - Forever Young Leonard Cohen impresses large, almost three hours now. 5 minutes ago via TweetDeck
freshmess - Amazing music and amazing man that Mr. Leonard Cohen. 2 minutes ago via mobile web
Rulve - I feel quite drunk, but not in alcohol. Have seen Leonard Cohen in the spectrum. Incomparable voice, eminent musicians, great experience!
?
great rusty - Leonard Cohen played # seven extra numbers, and the girl jumped off the stage between each time. You and you! about 3 hours ago via Echofon
(Google translate)
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

We’re into the encores and way off the set list. This could be an epic night. The crowd has left their seats and a lovely fan who has brought flowers shows off her “Bird On A Wire” tattoo.

— Oslo, Norway
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/914 ... e-set-list
BlizzardofIce

Post by BlizzardofIce »

Fantastic night!
Almost 4 hours inc the break.

Endless 'tried to leave you.
I got the set list in my pocket.

He played Singer must die!
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

FLASH--Leonard Cohen, Band, Blow Roof off Oslo Arena

August 6, 2010
Oslo, Norway
dispatch filed at 11Ø51 p.m.
by Robert J. Goldstein

The entire Norwegian army was reported called out tonight after Leonard Cohen and his band inadvertently blew the top off of Oslo's Spectrum Arena during an almost four-hour show. According to unconfirmed reports, the arena's top was last sighted headed towards New Mexico, where informed sources reported that radar reports indicate it is headed for a direct collision with a secret facility there where nuclear scientists are developing a new super weapon, widely hailed for its apparent ability to destroy all of mankind in ten mintues, thus overcoming the current problem that current stockpiles of thousands of nuclear weapons might take up to an hour to wipe out humanity.

According to concert-goers, the arena's lid began to creak early in the concert and then blew off entirely when Cohen, instead of closing his usual pre-encore set with "I'm your man," continued with "Take this Waltz," which apparently was mistranlated into Norwegian by a local Google service into "Take away this false top," or perhaps "Take these falsies." At any rate, after the lid went flying off, Cohen just looked skywards, raised both palms up and cracked with a smile, "I knew we'd get the old man's attention sooner or later."

In general Cohen seemed far looser than two days ago in Malmo, Sweden, and the band set list had a number of differences, all major improvements in the minds of concert-goers interviewed by this correspondent. Thus, at the beginning of the second set, Cohen said, "Thanks for coming back. Take your time in getting to your seats. We've got all evening to play,* and when the crowd applauded his use of a synthesizer during "Tower of Song," he cracked, "Maybe it's the drink, but you're very kind" (it's unclear if Cohen was referring to himself or to the staggering amounts of wine and beer consumed by the audience).

Among the songs Cohen played that have usually not been on his set list were "The Singer Must Die," "Waiting for the Miracle to Come," (with considerably revised lyrics from that on the CD) and "The Heart with No companion." He also performed three of his newest songs, "Born in chains," "Darkness" and "Feels so Good," with the latter in a very new, extended and ultrablusy arrangement that brought what was left of the house down. During the night, wind instruments major Dino Soldo played three unusual extended harmonica solos to great applause, which was also extended to all other members of the band and, of course, Cohen himself.

The general consensus appeared to be that this was one of Cohen's greatest concerts ever.
BlizzardofIce

Post by BlizzardofIce »

Amen.

I'll drink to that,my friend.
kwills

Post by kwills »

Wish I was there!
Manchester 19th June/Cardiff 8th Nov
amelone

Post by amelone »

I'm so incredibly glad I was!

The concert yesterday was fantastic. When I looked around me I noticed several other faces with the same large grins on their faces - and suddenly realized I was among them as well. Amazing experience! And when he played "Famous Blue Raincoat" I think my heart skipped a beat, I was so happy. So from this Oslo citizen: a great, big thank you to Leonard Cohen and his crew for a truly mind-blowing concert! :D

Return to “The World Tour 2010”