CONCERT REPORT: Malmö, Sweden, August 4, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jarkko
Site Admin

CONCERT REPORT: Malmö, Sweden, August 4, 2010

Post by jarkko »

This thread is for your concert reviews, photos, links etc.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Malmo, August 4, 2010

Post by Mabeanie1 »

We have just arrived at our hotel in Malmo where we are reliably informed a number of other Brits and a certain gentleman and his friends are already in residence.

We came in via Copenhagen and went to have a look at the arena on the way. It is basically a building site and there were no clues that there was any sort of event happening tonight - no posters, nothing. We were therefore very reassured when we drove round the back and saw the familiar coaches and Stardes wagons. I am very much looking forward to tonight and hoping that there will still be some of that Irish magic in the air.

Wendy
rocketqueen

Post by rocketqueen »

Hey - just a quick question: anyone up for a meet-up after the concert? If so - text me at

Be happy to see you
Last edited by rocketqueen on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malmö, Sweden - August 4th 2010 - see you then Mr. Cohen
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

in copenhagen getting ready to head over. it´has been unbelievably difficult to get information as to how to get to the arena, including from people in the ticket office in malmo, people in the train station in copenhagen, etc., etc. in general, people in copenhagen seem to know nothing about malmo, basically there neighbor 20 miles away, and finding out where to go for info in malmo has proved equally difficult. i have been here in the past and the past and the scandis have a well-deserved reputation for efficiency, but this time it feels like i am in ecuador or something. never runn into anything like it anywhere before. i'm headed over, but exactly where i truly don't know.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Mabeanie1 wrote:We have just arrived at our hotel in Malmo where we are reliably informed a number of other Brits and a certain gentleman and his friends are already in residence.

We came in via Copenhagen and went to have a look at the arena on the way. It is basically a building site and there were no clues that there was any sort of event happening tonight - no posters, nothing. We were therefore very reassured when we drove round the back and saw the familiar coaches and Stardes wagons. I am very much looking forward to tonight and hoping that there will still be some of that Irish magic in the air.

Wendy

wow . i read into this that you may be staying in the same hotel as leonard and the band . i wonder whether you may have a 'close encounter'. would be wise to keep a camera handy .
Irish concerts always seem to have something extra , mainly i think an exuberant audience with no inhibitions expressing feelings and , where appropriate singing along .
However the real magic is ' cohen magic' and that goes wherever the man is .i'm certainly looking foward to getting some more of it in france next month .
Enjoy !
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
rpan

Post by rpan »

Undaunted by his sendoff mauling at Mullaghmore Mr Cohen has been gadding about again in Malmo pre-concert. This is a nice photo:

http://www.expressen.se/noje/musik/1.20 ... kaffe-tack
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

What a magical night! Leonard was in fine form, smiling, very relaxed. Born in Chains was very powerful and so moving. The audience was very enthusiastic,which Leonard clearly enjoyed.

We had amazing seats!! We thought they were going to be off to the right in the front row but we were DEAD CENTRE!!
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

My take on Malmo: a mixed review.

Before getting specific, I thínk it's important to reiterate that with each of these concerts, that we still have LC and he's performing over 3 hours with an incredible band, means the miracle has already come and we are incredibly lucky that he doesn't mean it when he sings "Closing Time."

That said, my 10th concert was a mixed experience, perhaps somewhat colored by my being very tired, having flown overnight from Detroit, and,like hundreds of locals, having to walk 2 miles in 80 degree heat wandering about in the wilderness trying to find the concert hall because it was so difficult to get information about how to get there (it's very new, very IKEA, which is to say clean and bare, but with no charm at all. Also, my seats were front upper balcony, not nearly as good as Mollydog's.

I thought the first half was weak for Leonard. With "Darkness" and "Chains" added to the normal list, along with Chelsea Hotel, it was not only too long for me but I thought it lost the normal --only word I can think of is gestalt--and that the buildup to Anthem was much weakened (I think Anthem is his best song and he swallowed a few critical words also in performance tonight). Darkness is very different and much better than it originally was in my view, but I think it helps unbalance a show that conveyed, ultimately, joy and happiness, because it is such a downer, and also with si mplistic words well below LC's norm. I just disagree with Mollydog about Chains--I think the lyrics are treacle and it just went on seemingly forever, the FIRST time I've ever been bored at an LC concert. The audience was also quite passive in the first half--certainly warm greeting applause but no discernible reaction to "told u again i prefer handsome men" or to "we´re ugly but we´ve got the music," which I've never experienced before at an LC concert.

Second half I thought much more coherent,much more energy on stage and in the audience, with hand clapping, responses to lines (golden voice), much warmer response. Great performances in second half of Take this Waltz and in encores of Democracy, Manhattan, Closing Time among others (he did the new
song whose title escapes me about so glad about breaking up, a good song, tho a bit like Darkness). IN sum: to me a weak first half, a great second half.
a great show but not one of the very greatest (for me, 2d Chicago 2009, 2d Hamilton Ontario 2009, Mad. Square Garden, 2009).

My disagreement with Molly and no doubt others is a matter of taste, not right or wrong.
Bob g.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Mollydog wrote:What a magical night! Leonard was in fine form, smiling, very relaxed. Born in Chains was very powerful and so moving. The audience was very enthusiastic,which Leonard clearly enjoyed.
We had amazing seats!! We thought they were going to be off to the right in the front row but we were DEAD CENTRE!!
Hi Mary,

Was thinking about you for the past few hours and hoping it would be a beautiful concert! I was totally blown away at Lissadell in Ireland....both concerts!! "Born in Chains" is so powerful....touching deeply into our souls. Leonard's magic remains, along with his stunning creative ability!

Have a great time in Krakow! Will be with you in spirit.

All the best,
Diana

ps...seating makes a lot of difference. I always want to be close to the front, no matter the cost. The nuances, the slight motions between Roscoe or LC and others, and the interaction between everyone on stage is priceless!
Last edited by ladydi on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Mary - front and center!!! You lucky girl!! :D :D :D
rpan wrote:Undaunted by his sendoff mauling at Mullaghmore Mr Cohen has been gadding about again in Malmo pre-concert. This is a nice photo:

Thanks for the charming article - and I think I have to print it out here - even if the translation is by Google - :D - and even if just for the picture. LOL

"He was damn good looking in his narrow tie and hat?, Palsson says Jenny, 31."

Damn good looking, indeed. :lol: :lol: 8)
MAN IN BLACK. The Canadian superstar was in great spirits,
and let themselves willingly photographed with fans. ? He was
damn good looking in his narrow tie and hat?, Palsson says Jenny, 31.

Leonard Cohen in Malmö: A coffee, please!

MALMO. World Star of Leonard Cohen, 76, has a new favorite cafe. - He thought the coffee was good and the service is great, "says Jenny Paulson, 31, of Patisserie in Malmö where David Cohen took a break in the middle of lunch rush.
Fakta

Leonard Cohen's tour in Sweden starting in Malmo Arena tonight. It rolls on to the Globe Arena in Stockholm on Sunday. The tour ends in Göteborg next Thursday.

In the evening occurs the world-famous singer in Malmö Arena. But already, yesterday was his fans and regular walkers see him move around town and enjoy the late summer of Skåne.

Several surprised residents of Malmö and tourists watched the Leonard Cohen, dressed almost entirely in black and with black hat, walked around the central parts of Malmö for a few hours.

On the picturesque Patisserie David in Cultural District of St. Gertrude at East Street, right across the hotel where Cohen and his band live, sat superstar down around noon.

In the middle of lunch rush.

- He sat here for quite some time, 15-20 minutes, "says Jenny Paulson served as the star.
He ordered a caffe latte as he drank the café terrace.
The coffee made an impression on Leonard Cohen and he comes back to Malmö, it is enough to Jenny and her colleagues, he goes.
- He found the coffee taste so good, he said several times, and he thought it was nice that we came out and served him coffee at the table.

On the picturesque Patisserie David in Cultural District of St. Gertrude at East Street, right across the hotel where Cohen lives and his band, sat superstar down around noon. In the middle of lunch rush. Photo: Niclas Tilosius

On the picturesque Patisserie David Cultural District of St. Gertrude
at East Street, right across the hotel where Cohen and his band live,
sat superstar down around noon. In the middle of lunch rush .
Photo: Niclas Tilosius

Brilliant humor

The star was in great spirits during their coffee break, smiling and laughing the whole time.

It was a long queue of people wanting to come and talk to him,
there seemed to disturb him at all, "says Jenny. Photo: Niclas Tilosius

After his discovery in Malmo the star disappeared to his room to recharge before the evening's gig.

By Magnus Andersson
magnus.andersson @ kvp.se
Publicerat 4 augusti 2010
Uppdaterad 4 augusti 2010
Last edited by sturgess66 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

rpan wrote:Undaunted by his sendoff mauling at Mullaghmore Mr Cohen has been gadding about again in Malmo pre-concert. This is a nice photo:

:lol: "sendoff mauling"
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Twitter -
travelgateswede - 4 hrs with Leonard Cohen in Malmö. Magic. about 3 hours ago via mobile web
cinnamonweaver - Cohen på Malmö arena ikväll - ren magi! Självklart grät jag under Famous Blue Raincoat. about 3 hours ago via web
[Cohen at Malmö Arena tonight - clean magic! Of course I cried during the Famous Blue Raincoat. about 3 hours ago via Web ]
Axelsson, Fredrik - are in place at Malmö Arena and look forward to a fantastic evening with Leonard Cohen. about 8 hours ago via Echofon
lillesneck - is at Malmö Arena and will see Leonard Cohen !!!!!!!! about 8 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone
This one is from Ireland - someone saw Leonard there today - fishing? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fiona Kelly fionakelly5 Leonard cohen was fishing in the river moy today. My dad is rippin he didn't know about it. about 2 hours ago via Echofon
ThomasIvert - 3 timer i selskab med Leonard Cohen i Malmø Arena. Yderst hyggeligt! about 3 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone
[3 hours in the company of Leonard Cohen in Malmö Arena. Very nice! about 3 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone]
Britt-Marie Andrén - travelgateswede 4 hrs with Leonard Cohen in Malmö. Magic. about 3 hours ago via mobile web
helmal - Om jag hade missat Leonard Cohen ikväll hade jag aldrig förlåtit mig själv. Vilket band, vilka låtar, vilken röst! #lycksalig about 4 hours ago via web
[helmal If I had missed Leonard Cohen tonight I had never forgiven myself. What band, what songs, what voting! # Blissful]
brianskovgaard - Rundt 4 timer i selskab med Leonard Cohen! Meget imponeret! Glæd jer, Odense... about 4 hours ago via Seesmic
[brian Skovgaard - Around four hours in the company of Leonard Cohen! Very impressed! Rejoice, Odense ... about 4 hours ago from Seesmic]
mjuk_pepparkaka- Looks like everyone in Malmö met Leonard Cohen today and I've been sleeping since 10 in the morning... ;) about 7 hours ago via web
SannaWettergren - Leonard Cohen i Malmö http://yfrog.com/5fte4bj about 8 hours ago via Twitterrific
Lisbeth

Post by Lisbeth »

having to walk 2 miles in 80 degree heat wandering about in the wilderness trying to find the concert hall because it was so difficult to get information about how to get there
I am glad we all managed to find Malmö Arena, as there seemed to be no empty seats. Secondly we were lucky LC actually showed up, because his setlist said August 5th. ;-)

The show was great, and thanks to Jarkko I had front row seats, which gave a very intense experience. I am honoured to have seen this show, and I wish LC and his crew a happy tour and hope he will come back to Scandinavia many more times.
Last edited by Lisbeth on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rocketqueen

Post by rocketqueen »

As some of you know from an old thread this was my first Leonard Cohen concert. And I promised to tell you all about this life absolutely magical experience.

I was sitting in my seat tripping and waiting for the man to start. As he came on stage it felt like everything just stopped and there was only him and the music. Throughout the first set I was in some kind of chock. I could hardly believe what I was witnessing. It was magical...well almost beyond magical. I was in awe of not only Mr. Cohen but also his phenomenal musicians and not to say the least the Webb sisters and Sharon.
For me, it was one of the most important and emotional nights in my life with a lot of smiling, crying and happiness. It was first when I woke up this morning that it came to me: I saw Leonard Cohen last night. And what a musician, performer and man he is. He was everything I imagined and more so. I can't believe after so many years of touring that he still seems to mean every single word when he is singing with such a truth in his words and integrity. There is only one of his kind in a generation that helps define a generation.

I am in love, I am happy, I am restless, I am fulfilled and everything else good this world can offer. This was truly a life changing experience. And when I get off this little cloud I'm on right now, I might be able to give a better review of the concert, but for now I am in a bliss.
RQ
Malmö, Sweden - August 4th 2010 - see you then Mr. Cohen
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi RQ,

Thank you for sharing your heart! I know exactly how you're feeling right now as I had all those same emotions after my first concert in Copenhagen in October 2008. Aren't they wonderful!

Keep on your high, and start checking out other concerts.....you are hooked! :D

All the best,
Diana

Return to “The World Tour 2010”