CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, Ireland, July 31 & August 1, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
aislinn

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, July 31 & August 1, 2010

Post by aislinn » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:54 pm

i have some great pictures from the concert yesterday ... how do i post htem ???? :?:
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:24 pm

Thank you so much for those videos, Albert! They are so beautiful, I am sobbing. Long live Leonard Cohen!
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:28 pm

It may have been a 35,000 km journey but for Janis & I it was worth every last centimeter. What a night! Leonard was magnificent. The crowd was awesome. The venue was breathtaking. It was great to meet all the forum members.

I have travelled the world for many reasons, but seeing the performance on Saturday night (with those amazing artists) makes all the other journeys pale into insignificance. Two very contented people will start the journey back to Australia tomorrow, rich with memories of the greatest concert ever.
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
padraigob

Post by padraigob » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:58 pm

Leonard was brilliant in Sligo last night, paying homage to W.B.Yeats, whom he referred to as "The great master". It was a privelige to be there. Pure perfection.
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Just got back this evening from Sligo, sadly I could only attend the one concert, but what a concert it was! Leonard and the band were on top form - they promised to give us a show to remeber, and certainly succeeded in that. You could see that Leonard was really moved to be in such beautiful surroundings that had a personal meaning for him, and indeed I don't think I've been to a concert in such a stunning location. And we were treated to three of his new songs, and a real highlight for me, A Singer Must Die - heaven!

It was fantastic to see so many forum members there too, especially those who had travelled so far to be there. Thanks especially to burningviolin for the transportation and guided tour ;-)

I'm putting my videos up on my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/messalina79 - not a patch on IrishAl I expect but I try my best :D
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:33 pm

merton wrote:Waking slowly and talking with friends. I wonder will Born in Chains become one the great Cohen compositions." Blessed is the name, the name be blessed, written on my heart in burning letters"

Thank you Leonard and band for a wonderful evening.

All the best,
Merton
:D

Uploaded by "18danielstreet" -

"Sisters of Mercy" (view of venue - and beautiful, albeit cloud-ridden, sky overhead)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHcD888TdUA

Uploaded by "fanLCfan" -

"Leonard Cohen Yeats Lissadell 31st July 2010" - Leonard recites W. B. Yeats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlEC-lWdFzg

Uploaded by "messalina79"-

"A Singer Must Die" - ( :D :D la la la)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSB760YLE8k

-and-

"The Darkness"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_MwJ36adZA

Uploaded by "MrWoody680" -

"Leonard Cohen Lissadel House Ireland" (end of "Famous Blue Raincoat" and all of "If It Be Your Will")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkTqKD0SD-s
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:44 pm

From twitter - there are many but here are a few -
Falcon7012 Ring the bells. There is a crack, a crack, in everything. That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen. http://twitpic.com/2arpxs 17 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone
sligo sky.jpg
Audio at link -
TommyW - It was pure magic - RT @ladydotty Someone audio boo'd So Long Marianne last night! http://bit.ly/9z1ZXe #lissadell about 1 hour ago via Twittelator in reply to ladydotty
berniequinn - @Jaydeephe Are you there yet? Are you there yet? Are you there yet? #lissadell about 4 hours ago via web in reply to Jaydeephe
nitsohara - Sun setting over the Atlantic, the mountains and Leonard Cohen. Beyond amazing. about 1 hour ago via web

The Miracle has come Leonard. It's you. about 1 hour ago via web
jemsers - half time at lissadell. 90min down & 90min to go! amazing tunes in fab setting. len in top form tonight http://twitpic.com/2arsjl about 1 hour ago via twidroid
sligo2.jpg
cufa - At the Leonard Cohen concert,what a legend,so much better now that the sun is going down 1 minute ago via TweetDeck
audsies - ound 2 of the #lissadel Leonard Cohen pilgrimage. Not row 6 like last night but still fantastic. about 1 hour ago via Seesmic for Android
kellylad - Leonard Cohen was sooo good last night. And a lovely tribute to Yeats too 7 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone
Tommy Weir TommyW - The light of evening, Lissadell - http://flic.kr/p/8oB3iH 3 minutes ago via Flickr
mauricegannon - Leonard Cohen, Lissadell, Sligo. Fantastic. http://tweetphoto.com/36274904 about 2 hours ago via Echofon
wormbent - Jesus Christ almighty... Leonard Cohen, a beautiful evening, a sun-mottled Benbulben in the background, and an appreciative crowd... Wha ... about 1 hour ago via txt
TommyW - ool - a final photo for tonight from Leonard Cohen over at #Lissadell. Just magic... http://flic.kr/p/8oD8ZX about 1 hour ago via Flickr
Last edited by sturgess66 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zimmer

Post by Zimmer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:29 am

quackles wrote:Well, that was brilliant :)

I took a punt and brought my good camera, glad I did, no-one went next nor near my bag on the way in. Here's a handful of pics - still going through them, will post more later!

http://www.dillon-malone.com/?p=136
Excellent m8.
Thanks
Wimmer

Post by Wimmer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:40 am

Thank you for all wounderful reports and videos. It's true, this was a magical evening.I'm sitting here and have tears in my eyes.

Thank you so much

Marina
holydove

Post by holydove » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:02 am

Big, big thank you to Albert, clionamhic & everyone else for the incredibly beautiful videos & reports!! Looks like a very, very moving & magical evening with The Master. I'm so happy for everyone who could be there!!

Very interesting new lyrics in Feels So Good - I love it!!

And thank you to Mr. Leonard Cohen & his superb band for continuing to dazzle us with their brilliance!!
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:28 am

Some fragments - unfortunately weak broadband not allowing me to upload anything more substantial

Leonard Cohen Audience and Stage Pre Concert Lissadell 2010 07 31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R6ZoLR4JZM

Leonard Cohen LC Arrives On Stage and Opening Words Lissadell 2010 07 31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su1U9ow3U6o

Leonard Cohen Yeats Lissadell 31st July 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlEC-lWdFzg
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:06 am

Thanks everyone for the reports and videos, I am experiencing the concert vicariously though them! Looks like it was a fabulous show!

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Grainnemhaoil

Post by Grainnemhaoil » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:15 am

Just home from the two concerts in Lissadell, what an experience. Great setting, great stage, great sound, great musicians and Leonard of course. Sunday was better than Saturday for some hard to articulate reasons, both were great though. Halleluajh, The Partisan, So Long Marianne highlights for me. A very moving Thousand kisses deep on Sunday, a funny I'm your man, a georgeous If it be your will, though it seems unfair to single out particular numbers when all were great. Lovely crowd interaction, good singalongs, happy, smiling Leonard, I am thrilled that he came to Sligo and delighted that he appeared to enjoy himself so much. I know that the 10,000 people there each night were awed by the performances. Weather held up more or less, but wouldn't have mattered in any case (You don't go to an LC concert for the weather! :) , just like you don't come to Ireland for it either :D !).

Problems with the buses for me on saturday night - concert finished at 2345 and Fureys coaches arrived at red car park at 0120! Back to hotel in Sligo (11km) at 0140 -two hours after concert finished! Tight rural roads just not designed for that volume of traffic. Having said that, Sundays concert finished at same time and I was home (105km) at 0200 via my car from blue car park, only twenty minutes longer than it took me to travel 11km on the bus! Priority routes can work! Anyway, logistics don't matter in the long run, any effort made is more than rewarded. Thanks to Lissadell for hosting the event, to Ozlem for Sunday ticket, to all forum members for information and discussion pre-concert, and for reports and videos post-concert. Feel blessed to have been lucky enough to attend.
Oh God, The Trees Are Excellent.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:18 am

From IrishTimes.com -
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 43544.html
[There are a couple more pictures at the link]
Cohen Serene Under Ben Bulben

Leonard Cohen gestures to the crowd with his fedora
on stage at Lissadell House, Co Sligo

PEOPLE OF all ages gathered, carefully corralled, to walk along a path through the woods. They walked towards the light reflecting off the water in the shadow of a great house. They came to hear a poet sing his songs in a place still associated with another, earlier poet, long dead and revered, writes EILEEN BATTERSBY

Under the shadow of Ben Bulben’s distinctive flat profile, made famous by Yeats, the faithful waited for Leonard Cohen, veteran Canadian singer songwriter, a poet who has pursued personal experience to its limits. His meditations on life and love, the spiritual and the sexual, the hunted and the haunted appeal to all ages for their strange beauty, the gentle melodies; their romance and their solitude. Bittersweet romance, subtle observation and humour run through the songs; there is also the jaunty courage of his odyssey as an artist, a lover, a man and as a performer.

Many of the faces waiting for the music to begin seemed thoughtful as if remembering their younger selves, the people they had been when Cohen first began his career. For others, who had not even been born when Cohen was young, he is an icon, an influence. Girls in their 20s corrected their parents as to the titles of some of the songs. A father and son stood together, singing the opening lines of Famous Blue Raincoat and left the mother poised to photograph them, on her own figuring out how the camera worked. An older woman, her own raincoat at the ready, looked around and sighed, “The State should have bought this place.”

She was not alone, aside from the eulogies offered as to the enduring genius of Cohen, the most common topic of overheard conversation was that this magical part of Sligo should have been secured for the people of Ireland.

Leonard Cohen, serene and smiling, dark grey fedora firmly on his head, took the stage, along with his smartly suited band of musicians and singers. From the distance his figure seemed small against the flowing fabric backdrop of changing colours, but the huge TV screens provided close-up views of his wonderful face with its expression of benign irony. Here is a man who has seen most things and pondered them deeply. He knows about despair but he also sees the jokes. His repertoire includes many of the most distinctive songs written anywhere since the late 1960s. Along with Bob Dylan and the great Paul Simon, Cohen inhabits a sacred place. His songs are poems; the lyrics live off the page. As a performer he is generous; his band is his family, his audience his friends, and “friends” was the word he used to address the thousands who came to hear him.

Several of the gardaí on duty looked wistfully, assuring us that they would be up at the concert if they weren’t on duty. It was that kind of night; that kind of place, even the police seemed happy. It was obvious that the combined musical talent was overwhelming; Cohen showed them off like a proud parent, although the great Spanish guitarist, Javier Mas, is not all that much younger than Cohen, who was born in Montreal in 1934. We knew the songs, and the musicians did too, but when you’re that good and the atmosphere is perfect, it is easy to improvise further. The show, now on its way to Copenhagen, is terrific, no doubt about it, possessing an intriguingly European quality, yet at times, particularly with classics such as Suzanne, Famous Blue Raincoat, Sisters of Mercy and So Long, Marianne , it would have been even more satisfying just to hear Cohen’s tender, softly growling baritone. As a singer he is alert to every nuance; every word counts and with Cohen, every word is sung clear and emphatic. He is a lively, engaged performer but the wonder of his songs is best enjoyed in a more intimate setting because his songs are like poems and deserve pauses and space and time to absorb them fully.

Earlier on Saturday he had visited Drumcliff churchyard and paid his respects at the grave of Yeats, a poet whose work he had first read, as Cohen told his audience, “at home in Montreal, about 50 years ago”. He smiled his wry, rueful smile.

In the visitors’ book at Drumcliff church he wrote Leonard Cohen, Montreal, with a simple comment “Sublime”. Some four of five songs into the concert he looked into the crowd and spoke of how privileged he felt to be at “this most historic setting”. His humility and calm demeanour gave new life to those most evocative lines. “The light of evening, Lissadell,/ Great windows open to the south,/ Two girls in silk kimonos, both/ Beautiful, one a gazelle.” (From In Memory of Eva Gore-Both and Con Markievicz; The Winding Stair and Other Poems , 1933.)

Cohen began the concert saying that he did not know if he would pass this way again, but promised to give “everything we have” on behalf of his band and himself and his backing singers, Hattie and Charley Webb, whose ethereal voices are ideal for Cohen’s songs, and his collaborator, Sharon Robinson. They did and more.

Cohen at 75, singing his much-covered Hallelujah , on a drizzly Saturday evening in historic Lissadell outperformed the current version by opera singer Renée Fleming, such is his art and kindly humanity. The audience, growing in confidence, thundered its appreciation singing along with more and more songs. Each time Cohen skipped – and skip he does – off stage, the applause brought him back. His generosity as a performer is well known, he graced Lissadell. Yeats, a life-long presence for this singer of songs, would have approved.
Isi

Post by Isi » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:35 am

Oh yes, this was the best concert of all time for me. What a wonderful setting, seats in the second row, Leonard and the band in absolutely stunning form. He has left me satisfied.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”