CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, Ireland, July 31 & August 1, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, July 31 & August 1, 2010

Post by sturgess66 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Here's something positive - from a blog site - someone named Tommy Morahan
http://morahan.blogspot.com/2010/08/leo ... sligo.html
Leonard Cohen in Lissadell House, Sligo

“The curate has called this exhibition
Drawn to Words.
I call my work

Acceptable Decorations.” (Leonard Cohen)

I have, in the past, fallen into the group that would refer to Leonard Cohen as depressing. But after spending three and a half hours at Lissadell House watching and listening to him, his band and an audience of 10,000, I see him in a very different light.

Honest, hard working, creative, wise, energetic, and true are the words I would use to describe him now. His stage presence is up there with the greats. He needs no fanfare, no bells and whistles, no distractions; When Leonard Cohen comes on stage his performance engages and engulfs the audience.

This seventy-five year old Canadian performs for 3 and half hours with a fifteen minute break and gives it his all. His opening words were so honest, “Thank you friends for coming out tonight and because you did we want to be sure to give you everything.”

The backdrop to the stage was a simple curtain with two hearts entwined in each other. The singers and musicians were dressed simply in black suits with little variation in their shirts and blouses. Leonard wore a fedora for most of the night and at times removed it to reveal a graying humble and powerful countenance.

While he reveals himself wholly to us I feel a sense of transparency fall over the crowd. Perhaps each individual is remembering that time is moving on and they’ve “known” Leonard for longer than they might care to remember. But his honesty on stage brings honesty to the crowd and a sense of acceptance and wise recognition that the passage of time is palpable.
“The birds they sang
at the break of day
Start again
I heard them say
Don’t dwell on what
Has passed away
Or what is yet to be.”
(Leonard Cohen)

After all, it takes time and living to have a body of songs and poetry like his and time creates beauty and it takes it away. The body of work grows and becomes immortal while the human body fades into mortality. Cohen appreciates this but somehow it is o.k.

One woman in the crowd in front of me said, “Oh, I wish I could go up there and give him a hug.” Referring to us 10,000 concert-goers as friends many, many times from his simple stage put us at ease and on the same level as himself. That was the message – we’re all in it together and I’m with you tonight as you have chosen to be with me.

For now, Leonard Cohen lives and he is anything but depressing when he skips (literally) on and off stage, and says “thank you friends.”

Posted by Tommy Morahan at 7:22 AM
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:35 pm

sturgess66

THANKYOU FOR SHARING THAT

AT LAST THE SPIRIT PREVAILS

I SIGN OFF ON A POSITIVE : :)
Katrina21

Post by Katrina21 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:41 pm

sturgess66 wrote:Here's something positive - from a blog site - someone named Tommy Morahan
http://morahan.blogspot.com/2010/08/leo ... sligo.html
Leonard Cohen in Lissadell House, Sligo

“The curate has called this exhibition
Drawn to Words.
I call my work

Acceptable Decorations.” (Leonard Cohen)

I have, in the past, fallen into the group that would refer to Leonard Cohen as depressing. But after spending three and a half hours at Lissadell House watching and listening to him, his band and an audience of 10,000, I see him in a very different light.

Honest, hard working, creative, wise, energetic, and true are the words I would use to describe him now. His stage presence is up there with the greats. He needs no fanfare, no bells and whistles, no distractions; When Leonard Cohen comes on stage his performance engages and engulfs the audience.

This seventy-five year old Canadian performs for 3 and half hours with a fifteen minute break and gives it his all. His opening words were so honest, “Thank you friends for coming out tonight and because you did we want to be sure to give you everything.”

The backdrop to the stage was a simple curtain with two hearts entwined in each other. The singers and musicians were dressed simply in black suits with little variation in their shirts and blouses. Leonard wore a fedora for most of the night and at times removed it to reveal a graying humble and powerful countenance.

While he reveals himself wholly to us I feel a sense of transparency fall over the crowd. Perhaps each individual is remembering that time is moving on and they’ve “known” Leonard for longer than they might care to remember. But his honesty on stage brings honesty to the crowd and a sense of acceptance and wise recognition that the passage of time is palpable.
“The birds they sang
at the break of day
Start again
I heard them say
Don’t dwell on what
Has passed away
Or what is yet to be.”
(Leonard Cohen)

After all, it takes time and living to have a body of songs and poetry like his and time creates beauty and it takes it away. The body of work grows and becomes immortal while the human body fades into mortality. Cohen appreciates this but somehow it is o.k.

One woman in the crowd in front of me said, “Oh, I wish I could go up there and give him a hug.” Referring to us 10,000 concert-goers as friends many, many times from his simple stage put us at ease and on the same level as himself. That was the message – we’re all in it together and I’m with you tonight as you have chosen to be with me.

For now, Leonard Cohen lives and he is anything but depressing when he skips (literally) on and off stage, and says “thank you friends.”

Posted by Tommy Morahan at 7:22 AM
Tommy you got it in a nutshell. What a lovely way with words you have.
padraigob

Post by padraigob » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Yes, he was the biz, one master bowing to another!
Padraigob
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:58 pm

That review by Tommy Morahan is the best I've read! Brilliant stuff! The one I wish I could have wrote!

BTW anneeshipley I was only responding to previous posts with my comments. In my actual review there is not one word of negativity. There is no way I was going to let little irks take away from to me was a brilliant night.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Manslady

Post by Manslady » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:40 pm

Lovely review by Tommy Morahan. Yours is pretty damn good too, Gwen. :)
Every heart to love will come, but like a refugee

Dublin 2008
Sligo 2010
Barcelona 2012
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:28 am

Manslady wrote:Lovely review by Tommy Morahan. Yours is pretty damn good too, Gwen. :)
Ah thanks :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

merton

Post by merton » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:59 am

Hi,
Cliona you wrote, "It was lovely to meet the other Leonard Cohen fans from Waterford at the tree planting, but I somehow lost you all when it was over. I hope we'll meet again soon, at another concert in Ireland. Or am I allowed to say that yet?"] I think we are the Deise folks you met at the tree planting ceremony. I'll be in touch shortly. We got our signals crossed as to where people were going afterwards.

A week later, I'm still living the two concerts and a belated thank you to IrishAl for service to the cause. Some great footage. Some good memories of briefly meeting LadyDi, Mutti ,MaryB, Burningviolin and Gregor. Many thanks to Maarten for the nametags, to CarlowMike. To Sharon E, I hope you got home safely. Clo sends her regards. And to Leonard - long may you run, hop and skip!

" I lost my way. I forgot to call on your name. The raw heart beat against the world, and the tears were for my lost victory. But you are here. You have always been here. The world is all forgetting, and the heart is a rage of directions, but your name unifies the heart, and the world is lifted into its place. Blessed is the one who waits in the traveller's heart for his turning"
- from Book of Mercy

All the best,
Merton
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:28 pm

It has been great to read everyone's reactions to the Lissadell concerts here, all positive; no complaints about the actual concerts, as far as I can see , whatever about the buses, although we were lucky with them ! And thanks for the great videos. :D A pity about the meet - up fiasco, where the designated meet-up place, the Garavogue, was abandoned by "THOSE IN THE KNOW" ( who were actually lovely people, those of whom I met in Lissadell,) in favour of Shenanigans! Probably wise ; the Garavogue was seriously lacking in atmosphere. A little note on the door , "We are in Shenanigans", would have been appreciated, though.
Would love to be able to turn the clock back to this day last week - but "do not dwell on what has passed away".......
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
clionamhic

Post by clionamhic » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:49 pm

[quote="merton"]Hi,
Cliona you wrote, "It was lovely to meet the other Leonard Cohen fans from Waterford at the tree planting, but I somehow lost you all when it was over. I hope we'll meet again soon, at another concert in Ireland. Or am I allowed to say that yet?"] I think we are the Deise folks you met at the tree planting ceremony. I'll be in touch shortly. We got our signals crossed as to where people were going afterwards.

Nice one Merton, I'll look forward to it,
C
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:50 pm

TipperaryAnn wrote:It has been great to read everyone's reactions to the Lissadell concerts here, all positive; no complaints about the actual concerts, as far as I can see , whatever about the buses, although we were lucky with them ! And thanks for the great videos. :D A pity about the meet - up fiasco, where the designated meet-up place, the Garavogue, was abandoned by "THOSE IN THE KNOW" ( who were actually lovely people, those of whom I met in Lissadell,) in favour of Shenanigans! Probably wise ; the Garavogue was seriously lacking in atmosphere. A little note on the door , "We are in Shenanigans", would have been appreciated, though.
Would love to be able to turn the clock back to this day last week - but "do not dwell on what has passed away".......
After the tree planting we went to The Garavogue and it was as you put it "seriously lacking in atmosphere" so we scarpered to Shenanigans. Yeah I want to go back to last week too...... However thoughts of Katowice will keep me going as will endless rewatching of the wonderful videos.

Carlowmike has asked me to post the following photo of a screen shot take by MollyO's husband.

Also I finally got around to listening to the podcast of Liveline Click this link and scroll down to the Lissadell link. When listening skip to the 16thish minute and then hear John Reynolds describing Leonards reaction to Lissadell.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_liveline.xml

musicmania

Post by musicmania » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:14 pm

This time last week.....................................

clo

Post by clo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:34 pm

musicmania wrote:This time last week.....................................

Been doing that all day! Painful, isn't it?! :cry:
Last edited by clo on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008: Dublin(2), Lucca, Cardiff,
2009: Dublin(2), Lisbon,
2010: Sligo(2)

There are things you can't reach. But you can reach out to them, - Mary Oliver
Katrina21

Post by Katrina21 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:37 pm

musicmania wrote:This time last week.....................................
I think we all wish we were back there! Sincere thanks to Al and Messalina and everyone for posting their videos - absolutely brilliant to be able to watch them over and wallow in the memories.
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:27 pm

Anyone able to upload a recording of the concerts so we can all relive in bliss?

Return to “The World Tour 2010”