CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, Ireland, July 31 & August 1, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
IrishAL

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, July 31 & August 1, 2010

Post by IrishAL » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:33 pm

@musicmania, i did get all of anthem. its over ten muinets long so youtube may reject it.
i'll give it a try.

Katowice is a yes.

A.
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:50 pm

IrishAL wrote:@musicmania, i did get all of anthem. its over ten muinets long so youtube may reject it.
i'll give it a try.

Katowice is a yes.

A.
YouTube is now allowing 15 minutes :)
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:21 am

musicmania wrote:
It is halfway between Shenanigans and The Garavogue along by the river.
Thanks for the location of the Cohen Maple, Musicmania. Hope it thrives there!
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:44 am

musicmania wrote:Thanks Albert! Love your videos. You didn't by any chance get the Leonard quoting Anthem after the Yeats quote did you?
The two pieces you want are on Yooutube, but have been uploaded separately

Yeats recorded by Albert (the definitive version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5vYpWCbHsE

Yeats recorded by me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlEC-lWdFzg

Spoken words from Anthem recorded by me (you will have to make do with this until albert's upload is complete !)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGcEZqTFsJg

Hope this gives you what you want
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:36 am

Anthem - Full version - from Saturday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4U4lXgvorU

A.
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:24 am

Thank you so much for this Albert!!!!!! And you too of course FanForLife, also a great video.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
clionamhic

Post by clionamhic » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:31 pm

Firstly a HUGE thank you to all who posted videos, especially IrishAl and FanForLife - they are superb and brilliant reminders of just how great these concerts were. The atmosphere on Saturday night where I had a seat in Block A (thank you Jarrko for the pre-sale) was nothing short of electric. I'm still getting funny feelings all over my body when I think about it!!!

Sunday's concert was also very, very special, however for much of the concert I was sitting in the midst of a pool of people who seemed to be just 'observers' rather than participants in the concert. Something that I rectified halfway through the second half when I joined a crowd that had gathered in the aisles at the front. Oh boy was that magic. So close. Anyway I can't really pick one concert over the other, but having seen Leonard for the first time in the rain in Kilmainham, the Irish drizzle just seems to add a sparkle to the occasion.

The Irish LOVE their poets, and I think this is one of the factors in the wonderful coming together of hearts, minds and souls that is a Leonard Cohen concert in Ireland. And what a special venue was Lissadell. In ancient and medieval Ireland the poet or bard was the most highly respected person in the community. The travelling bards went from area to area and were sure of board and lodgings and a welcome wherever they went. They composed songs in honour of their hosts; lullabies, songs of love and songs of sorrow (suantraí, geantraí agus goltraí). In the dark days of the Penal Laws when the education of the Irish people took place of necessity in Hedge Schools (literally in the open air or in an old barn) the great love songs were passed down from mouth to mouth, as we say in Irish (ó bhéal go béal). In these songs and stories the people preserved what they could of our proud heritage that was for the most part unwritten. Any wonder that the poet holds a special place in our hearts today?

And there is no poet more special than Leonard. It's not just his words, or his music - it is his presence and the way that he delivers those words and music. I have spent a few days trying to get around to writing my thoughts about the concerts and the one thing that keeps coming to me is that Leonard is entirely 100% there and present with his audience. That is how he communicates so successfully, because he is present for each and every single member of that audience who is open to that experience. And the greatest reward for me was to see the totally blissed out look on Leonard's face in response to us. Anyway I'll have myself in tears again soon......

It's no wonder that the concerts were so long....have just been watching Famous Blue Raincoat, where Leonard and the band so graciously stood back and allowed the spontaneous applause to Dino's solo (entirely deserved). This was replicated so many times during the concert. And judging by the wild applause, Sharon has a very special place in Irish hearts too - certainly in mine. It really seemed like Leonard just did not want it to end, and I know we certainly didn't!

It was lovely to meet the other Leonard Cohen fans from Waterford at the tree planting, but I somehow lost you all when it was over. I hope we'll meet again soon, at another concert in Ireland. Or am I allowed to say that yet?
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:23 pm

At the Saturday concert I know probably 90% of us were stunned when Leonard started with "A Singer Must Die". I immediately turned around to IrishMar with this look of shock, only to see it returned! This is something that hadn't happened before.

Well, according to Chris Bynum on his Facebook page this was indeed something that had never happened previously! He teasingly said Leonard was playing "stump the band" as he's only sung the song alone in soundcheck and it's never been on the setlist. A surprise to all of them too! Being the professionals they are, they looked very cool but that's why, except for Roscoe coming in with a few chords, Leonard was basically on his own with guitar!

Great story!
Driney

Post by Driney » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:14 pm

I must say a big Thank You to Jarkko and forum members who made the presale tickets possible. Don’t comment here much but have enjoyed reading this forum. We attended the Saturday concert and I cannot find the right words to describe how fantastic it was. I am still on a high after it. Our seats were in block A row J and we had a perfect view of Leonard and the band. The venue was magic, the atmosphere wonderful. The few drops of rain kept the midges at bay. We did go to the Garavogue earlier to pick up the name tags but missed the meet up and tree planting ceremony. I did catch Maarten at the concert – thanks for the lovely name tags, I will cherish them. Also many thanks for the very fine videos, photos and newspaper items that have been posted by forum members. And of course thank you Leonard for the best concert of all time!
clionamhic

Post by clionamhic » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:20 pm

I've posted a clip of A Thousand Kisses Deep from Sunday night on Youtube for those who might like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY3QzdUr5nQ

Unfortunately the picture is rubbish, but the sound is ok. When I listened back I was amazed by the absolute silence during the recital, and the way that the audience hung on every word....total magic!
Dano

Post by Dano » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:52 pm

Great job on posting A thousand Kisses Deep, Clionamhic and thanks to everyone else for their wonderful videos. That was the highlight of Sunday's gig for me (my first Leonard Cohen gig). Soul stirring evening and that recitation was, as you said, pure magic.
Unspoken Words

Post by Unspoken Words » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:48 pm

Great to read all the reviews.

For someone with a deep interest and bond with LC I did not bother going to Sligo due to my initial cynicism about yet further concerts and then when I decided I could not miss it inspite of my cynicism the Ticketmaster fiasco (which Robert Kory said he 'would look in to') put me off and in my stubborness decided not to go. Strangely I have no regrets...

I must say that some posts about people chatting, getting up and down from their seats and generally appearing dis-interested and only there for the night out and to say they were at the concert would also be my experience at previous concerts. A significant number of people who know very little about LC or his music appear to pay E125 and not have much interest in the music....I wonder are there many corporate or free tickets given out, I suspect so.
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:16 pm

Unspoken Words wrote:Great to read all the reviews.

For someone with a deep interest and bond with LC I did not bother going to Sligo due to my initial cynicism about yet further concerts and then when I decided I could not miss it inspite of my cynicism the Ticketmaster fiasco (which Robert Kory said he 'would look in to') put me off and in my stubborness decided not to go. Strangely I have no regrets...

I must say that some posts about people chatting, getting up and down from their seats and generally appearing dis-interested and only there for the night out and to say they were at the concert would also be my experience at previous concerts. A significant number of people who know very little about LC or his music appear to pay E125 and not have much interest in the music....I wonder are there many corporate or free tickets given out, I suspect so.
Ok I've seen all the posts about the people chatting and moving about etc. There was very little chat around me thankfully. I'd have "politely" asked them to be quiet if there had being!!!!! I was surprised by the amount of people walking around though as I don't recollect any of the same at the O2 last year. There was one woman in the row in front of ours who must have moved out of her seat at least 4 times in each half of the concert. It annoyed me a little in the 1st half as it was the more mellow half but during the second half we were standing for a good bit of it so it didn't irk as much. I actually was just amazed at her behaviour and wondered why she bothered coming as it was obvious her mind wasn't on the concert. That woman aside though I wasn't that effected by people moving around but do feel for those that were. I personally don't believe in leaving my seat at a concert and at the 70+ gigs I've been to, I never have during a headlining acts performance and rarely during support. I don't drink alcohol at concerts because of this and when having a glass of wine to toast Leonard at the interval it was indeed a rare occurance.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:24 pm

Only want to say why do some 'FANS' want to put a downer on what was a fantastic concert but that is what it was a concert!! I will go to more Mr Cohen concerts as long as he keeps performing (as I have done for over 40 years) without pre judging or feeling superior to anyone who attends. I know my comments wiil attract a lot of anti but so be it.

THERE IS A CRACK-----
THATS HOW THE LIGHT GETS IN----
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:43 pm

Sorry Unspoken Words but anyone with a "deep interest and bond with LC" would have had their lives enriched by being at these two concerts. It's a genuine pity you didn't make it.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”