CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, Ireland, July 31 & August 1, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
crystal

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, July 31 & August 1, 2010

Post by crystal »

Thank you for the reports and the the vieos. they blew me away. I'm sitting here and can't stop crying. Glad, you had such a special night. And it's still two and a half weeks until I see him in Berlin.
Wishing from here that youl'll have another very special night, Christel
aislinn

Becoming A Fan Club Member

Post by aislinn »

was at the concert in sligo yesterday , it was just amazing .. leonard played for 4 hrs :D
Tinkie

Post by Tinkie »

IrishAL wrote:Apologies @ Tinkie, No Guinness involved...Uploading can be a long process sometimes.. :}... It was a magical evening in a very special place and I did manage to capture a few golden moments. here are two:

A Singer Must Die
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edW2dbjT9Vw

Born in Chains:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f37lh9LqRs

enjoy,

albert
It was worth waiting !!! many thanks for these wonderful videos, I knew I could count on you. Enjoy tonight ! Big Hug to Marie and see you in Ghent !
Tinkie

2008 : Lisboa, Vienna, Brussels 2x, Manchester - 2009 : Cologne, Antwerp, Lisboa, Barcelona
2010 : Gent 3x, Lille, Las Vegas 2x -2012 : Gent 5x, Verona, Paris, Lisboa -2013 : Paris, Antwerp, Brussels, Berlin, Dublin, Amsterdam
valentin

Post by valentin »

Thanks for yours videos and chronicles friends.
Verde que te quiero verde...
Yeatscountyman

Lissadell Co.Sligo lreland

Post by Yeatscountyman »

Hey! Did anyone see Leonard last night(Saturday 31 July 2010)?
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

Thank you for all the wonderful reports and videos. It must have been a magical evening.

Mary
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
clionamhic

Post by clionamhic »

What can I say about last nights concert - words fail me. It was an experience of the heart.
Thank you Leonard and wonderful band. By the way Sharon was magnificent singing Boogie Street too.

I've uploaded a video of Feels So Good to youtube. Picture quality poor, but sound is ok.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooTpmewH4lM
fanfor30years

Post by fanfor30years »

Still bombed out after last night. Getting ready for tonight again!! What a performance and Leonard looked to be really enjoying himself, especialy in the second part. I never thought in my wildest dreams that Leonard would be playing 40 miles from where I live.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

clionamhic wrote:What can I say about last nights concert - words fail me. It was an experience of the heart.
Thank you Leonard and wonderful band. By the way Sharon was magnificent singing Boogie Street too.

I've uploaded a video of Feels So Good to youtube. Picture quality poor, but sound is ok.
Thankyou so much . i instantly liked this song the first time i heard it . This is the first time ive heard the extended version and i love it !
Both video and sound ae good - glad you made th effort ! :D
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

IrishAL wrote:
Tinkie wrote:Maarten, Albert ? Where are you ? Lost in Sligo somewhere ? You went sleeping without posting your videos ???? how is this possible ? Is Ms Guiness guilty for this ? :-)) anyhow you left us, poor wretches, in darkness and obscurantism without any images of the concert .......wake up quickly please ...
Apologies @ Tinkie, No Guinness involved...Uploading can be a long process sometimes.. :}... It was a magical evening in a very special place and I did manage to capture a few golden moments. here are two:

A Singer Must Die
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edW2dbjT9Vw

Born in Chains:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f37lh9LqRs

I'm so glad you ignore the usual warnings about photos , videos , and sound recordings
Thanks for you efforts - i know doing this can be hard work .
the results are consistently excellent and i'm so glad to be able to see something of these lissadel concerts . Really wanted to be there , rain or shine , but other commitments ..... :D :D
enjoy,

albert
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From "msharkman"

"Hallelujah"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNiid5_NJgg
keanrn5y

Post by keanrn5y »

I thought the show was fantastic, even better that the Belfast show last year. The only issue i had with it was the people located i directly behind me, in seats 52 - 55 of block A, row E. Ive been to over 100 concerts in the last 15 years (most of them rock and metal concerts) and never have i encountered people like those who had abosultely no respect for their fellow concert goers. From the very start of the show, they never shut up, talking/shouting (absolute rubbish), laughing out loud through out the entire show as if they were in a pub. It got so bad that one of the men (not kid) stated out loud several times that he was going to expose his privates. The red head woman amongst them, swore at the elderly couple sitting beside me (although i dont think they knew it was directed at them) stating to them something like 'if you were enjoying the show, you would stand up for f"@k sake'. which was at the end of a slow number. Yet at times they were not even listening to the show, for example it was the second line of Hallelujah before she realised it was being played. When Leonard would address the audience, they repeatedly talked over him. Again laughing/mouthing outloud that i turned around to tell them to shut up, and the guy blamed the woman amongst them and still ignored me.

I couldnt understand why people would pay 115 euro for tickets to travel over here (they were not irish) and get totally pissed to the stage they had to act like this. If this was kids, we would have complained about them and probably had them ejected, but it was adults. They were an absolute disgrace. We were there to listen to Cohen and not these wasters. If you are one of those which im complaining about, reading this and and think this is rubbish, its sad for you if you think that way, probably too drunk to remember. I just hope that for anyone who is at tonights show, if these people are there again and located near you, try and not let it affect the show.

Other than that, was a fantastic show

Thanks
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

Thanks Albert for posting the videos, they were both great! Really liking "Born in Chains", can't wait for the new album!
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

clionamhic wrote:What can I say about last nights concert - words fail me. It was an experience of the heart.

Thanks!! And thanks to Albert too for what he has uploaded. Gems - all of them. :D
stopey

Post by stopey »

Irish Times Review;

Hallelujah, as Cohen plays Lissadell

The mutual appreciation society that is Leonard Cohen and his Irish fans was renewed last night in the beautiful surrounds of Lissadell House in Co Sligo.

Cohen said he was honoured to have such an “historical setting” and delighted the near-capacity crowd of 10,000 by reciting WB Yeats’ poem In memory of Eva Gore Booth and Constance Markiewicz which begins

"The light of evening, Lissadell,

Great windows open to the south,

Two girls in silk kimonos, both,

Beautiful, one a gazelle.”

He said he had learned the poem 50 years ago in his home town of Montreal. “I never knew my steps would take me to this place that I would receive such a welcome sheltered in the spirit of the great master,” he said referring to Yeats.

Concert promoter John Reynolds said Cohen had spent two hours before the concert looking around the Yeats’ Gallery in the house which is now owned by the barrister couple Edward Walsh and Constance Cassidy.

“He said in his own words that he was humbled by the experience,” Reynolds said.

Cohen also changed the lyrics of Hallelujah to “you don’t think I’d come to the Yeats’ county just to fool ya”.

The start of the concert was delayed for a half-an-hour to allow for the long traffic jams. Cohen, now 75, went on stage at 8pm and finished at 11.40pm. He tried out a number of new songs including Born in Chains, only the second time it has been heard live, and The Darkness.

The songs are likely to be part of a new album Cohen is planning for next year.

The stage for his concert was framed on one side by a mist-covered Ben Bulben and on the other by Sligo Bay with the lights of Sligo town in the background. The house itself provided the backdrop for the concert.

It was a chilly evening and the band had an electric heater on stage for the first half of their performance.

The site showed evidence of three weeks of wet weather with sawdust everywhere, but the rain, which threatened all evening, only arrived at the very end of the concert.

It was Cohen’s eighth Irish concert in just two years after a hiatus of more than 20 years which had led most of his fans to believe he had retired.

Nevertheless, the enthusiasm remained undimmed among his fans or among the people of Sligo. A banner in Sligo town welcomed Cohen to the town and a series of event s were planned over the weekend to coincide with the biggest music event the county has ever hosted.

:D

Return to “The World Tour 2010”