Presale to Phnom Penh from July 1 to July 15

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jmudrick

Re: Presale to Phnom Penh from July 1 to July 15

Post by jmudrick »

jarkko wrote:.... The tickets are not sold by any Cambodian party but Seeticket in London (in cooperation with AEG Live). ....
Well I think part of the PR problem here is that quite a limited number of the tickets are being sold through Seeticket (I think 1400 was the indicated number in the public sale). No information has been made public where the other tickets have gone outside of the original AsiaLife article which started this whole PR mess by saying that most of the tickets were gone to pre-sales and VIP's. As the concert is being produced "under the official patronange" of PM Hun Sen and his Mrs. one can understand the presumption that some are making about where those non-public tickets are going -- which doesn't mean their being given away of course. The announcement that Live in London will appear on Cambodian TV is an indicator that the promotor is really trying to cultivate a Cambodian audience, a good thing.
Last edited by jmudrick on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Garage Bar
#9 Street 110
Phnom Penh
casterbridgecohen

Post by casterbridgecohen »

I understand your point Jarkko but I think it also has to be acknowledged that whatever the intentions of the parties concerned there are understandably genuine concerns when you place

1 Certainly the highest concert prices I have ever seen since Barbara Streisand did a one off new Years Eve Concert and

2 A government that is widely seen to have problems re corruption.

in the same equation. It is quite understandable - even inevitable - that people might have concerns.

It is very easy to say this is a one off concert and not directed at fans - in which case the management of the prepublicity was poorly handled (with the announcement of a presale for fans without advising fans this was a one off with high priced tickets!) because the consequence was a negative impression which clearly the local organisers are now trying to address with the Press Releases reproduced on this thread.

Personally what I cannot quite get my head around is 1 If the concert is not directed for fans (although early press releases did talk about the very positive response to the fans pre sale) and 2 If the concert is too expensive for locals - then just who are the target audience?

It could be argued that if the aim was to raise funds for the Cambodian people - or specific charities in Cambodia - a Stadium Concert in HK, Singapore or Bangkok at 'normal' prices could have raised more funds that could have been remitted to Cambodia without the negative vibes that have arisen.

I have some sympathy for Robert Kory, Leonard and the local organisers - try and do something positive and why do we get all this shit etc - but I do think the management and communication could have been better handled given that organising a high priced concert is PP is going to inevitably lead to concerns as per ..........be careful of the fallout if you sup with the devil - and many do have genuine concerns about corruption in Cambodia.

And those people are entitled to express their opinions.
Last edited by casterbridgecohen on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.themekongsessions.com/index. ... &Itemid=10
Media Release 15.07.10: The Mekong Sessions Responds

As local promoters of the Leonard Cohen Live in Phnom Penh benefit concert at the Olympic Stadium on 27 November 2010, the Mekong Sessions is issuing the following singular statement:

1. Leonard Cohen Live in Phnom Penh is, thanks to the exceptional generosity of Leonard Cohen and AEG Live, a benefit concert with proceeds going to Cambodian Red Cross, the athletes with a disability of Cambodia and a full renovation of the indoor court of the Olympic Stadium. This has been made absolutely clear from the outset including the official media release of June 17 2010, on the Mekong Sessions website and associated media. Those purchasing tickets can be assured not only of experiencing one of the greatest musical and cultural events anywhere but also that they will be positively contributing to assisting some of the most vulnerable in Cambodian society through two of the most reputable organisations in the nation.

2. Given the pioneering nature of the concert, significant production costs are involved given the lack of resources necessary for a concert of this calibre at the present time in Cambodia - hence the lack of artists to date of the stature of Leonard Cohen playing here.

3. The Olympic Stadium is a relatively very small venue with just 3600 seats available. This has obvious impacts on the ticket prices as does its present dilapidated condition. Purchasers are guaranteed the most intimate concert on the World Tour in an international standard venue.

4. Sadly, while the Mekong Sessions has been embracing the enormous privilege of hosting Leonard Cohen in Cambodia, a vocal minority of expatriates in Phnom Penh have been using digital forums to post highly inflammatory critiques.

5. The nub of the issue is not the concert; rather it stems from a small segment of expatriate community bloggers in Phnom Penh who enjoy Cambodia for lifestyle opportunities impossible in their own countries and now complain when something is perceived to be beyond their reach despite the clear benefits for Cambodia and Cambodians. Those who criticise the motives behind the concert not only display an astonishing lack of knowledge or true long term commitment to the development process in Cambodia but denigrate the dignity of Leonard Cohen and his decision to honour us with his performance.

"I am deeply honoured, as is every Cambodian I’ve spoken to, that Leonard Cohen has chosen to perform a benefit concert in Phnom Penh," Mekong Sessions CEO Chris Minko said today ahead of a Cambodian media conference on Friday 16 July,

"This is the culmination of 15yrs work on behalf of the disadvantaged in Cambodia. After watching Live in London with Khmers for the last three nights running and witnessing their reactions to the elegance and humanity of his performance, I hold no reservations as to the welcome Leonard Cohen will enjoy here. The Mekong Sessions is focusing its entire energies on ensuring a seamless event regarded as a highlight of Leonard Cohen’s acclaimed world tour."

"In a world where humanity is lauded but often measurably limited in those that grasp the chance to make a difference, who better to cast light than one of the greatest statesmen and poets of the human condition?"

Chris Minko
CEO
Mekong Sessions
casterbridgecohen

Pretty strong stuff from Chris Minko obviously pissed off at the flak.

I was not aware of comments from the PP expat community who enjoy Cambodia for lifestyle opportunities impossible in their own countries and now complain when something is perceived to be beyond their reach

Thats a pretty sweeping generalistion - I cant see that going down a storm with aide workers in Cambodia nor attracting lots of expats to the concert!

I was aware of the discussions in this thread mainly from fans located around the globe.

I hope the event is a success for all concerned - but people do have the right to comment.
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam
jmudrick

Post by jmudrick »

As I said directly to Mr. Minko, I for one have never questioned the motives behind the concert, I have raised questions about the management of information and ticket allocation and prices. Mr. Minko's clarifications regarding Leonard's and the promotor's overriding concern to maximize charitable proceeds satisfied much of my concerns even if it does mean many local expat fans get shut out. It's a charitable event, that's ok. While one might raise money in Bangkok or Singapore that wouldn't do much raise the profile of Phnom Penh as a cultural destination.

I too hope the event is a great success. Introducing Live in London to Khmers as Chris is doing now is a great move.
Jeff
Garage Bar
#9 Street 110
Phnom Penh
strangemusic

Post by strangemusic »

The press release from Mr Minko now has me doubting the intentions of the organizers themselves. Heavy-handed and condescending are the first two adjectives that leap to mind.

1. "...They will be positively contributing to assisting some of the most vulnerable in Cambodian society through two of the most reputable organisations in the nation."

The Cambodian Red Cross is under the patronage of the wife of Hun Sen. A Google search for Cambodia Red Cross corruption will provide you with more than reason why it is not one of the "most reputable organizations in the nation." And these are not just angry, down-and-out expats.

From USAid: "During natural disasters, observers accuse the Cambodian Red Cross of only helping CPP-affiliated families [Hun Sen's party], not those that support the opposition. People in an opposition-led sangkat encounter “problems” when applying for a water or electrical hookup, and end up paying bribes."

From Asia Sentinel, a story on a resettlement scandal involving the Cambodian Red Cross: "In an interesting twist, the Cambodian Red Cross, which has been appealing for donations to resettle squatters, is headed by the prime minister’s wife, Bun Rany Hun Sen. Besides widespread allegations of corruption and misuse of funds, the Cambodia Red Cross’s appeal for funds to resettle people evicted as a result of land grabs by people closely tied to the prime minister is, to use the phrase of one diplomat, 'more than a little off-putting.' An official at the International Red Cross agreed: 'There’s something not quite kosher about this,' he said." [Not sure if internal links are kosher here, but to read full story Google: "In Cambodia Urban Renewal Takes A Nasty Twist"]

So much for one of the most reputable charities in all of Cambodia.

2. Given the pioneering nature of the concert, significant production costs are involved given the lack of resources necessary for a concert of this calibre at the present time in Cambodia - hence the lack of artists to date of the stature of Leonard Cohen playing here.

These ticket prices would be expensive for a Rolling Stones show or a Michael Jackson concert back in the day, but somehow I don't think Leonard will be tied up to a harness and descending from the rafters using a pulley-wire system, nor will there be pyrotechnics. Setting things up for him to play wouldn't approach the level of an artist who relies more on flashy presentation than the quality of songs, usually acoustic. We're talking about a concert in one of the poorest countries in the world, so labour, even fairly paid, would be an afterthought.

3. The Olympic Stadium is a relatively very small venue with just 3600 seats available. This has obvious impacts on the ticket prices as does its present dilapidated condition. Purchasers are guaranteed the most intimate concert on the World Tour in an international standard venue.

This was the only useful point of the entire press release. I stand corrected.

[POINTS FOUR AND FIVE COMBINED, AS THEY SHARE THE SAME THEME]
4. Sadly, while the Mekong Sessions has been embracing the enormous privilege of hosting Leonard Cohen in Cambodia, a vocal minority of expatriates in Phnom Penh have been using digital forums to post highly inflammatory critiques. The nub of the issue is not the concert; rather it stems from a small segment of expatriate community bloggers in Phnom Penh who enjoy Cambodia for lifestyle opportunities impossible in their own countries and now complain when something is perceived to be beyond their reach despite the clear benefits for Cambodia and Cambodians.

What does that mean Mr Minko? A neat attempt to lump all expatriates in Cambodia into one camp: embittered, selfish cheapskates who want to deny the progress that the Mekong Sessions is so gallantly looking to bring to it. What utter bosh. The "nub" of this issue is this outrageous pricing scheme and the supposed beneficiaries of sales were not properly thought out in conjunction with people on the ground. If they were, a politically dubious organization like the Cambodian Red Cross would not be among the main charities benefiting. This kind of information would be known to Cambodian expatriates, and this sort of churlish response on your part, Mr Minko, only shows that you failed to do your homework.

When Leonard Cohen takes to the stage for this event, the only representatives of everyday life in Cambodia will be the people sweeping up -- not the big smiling generals, Hun Sen and his wife whose faces will be so big they might not be able to fit through the door of the venue.

"Those who criticise the motives behind the concert not only display an astonishing lack of knowledge or true long term commitment to the development process in Cambodia but denigrate the dignity of Leonard Cohen and his decision to honour us with his performance."

Those who criticize the motives behind this concert have a valid point and are entitled to express their opinions, which are better-informed than yours, which show "an astonishing lack of knowledge of the Cambodian situation" As for Mr. Cohen, his act was generous. Your handling of the matter was anything but, and I would suggest that Mr Cohen hire someone to do a thorough accounting of the books when this is all over. The tone in this press release was downright incendiary and as we all know anger comes from fear.
jmudrick

Post by jmudrick »

Actually Mr. Minko is very much "on the ground". He is a long time Cambodia resident, a Cambodian citizen and head of Cambodia National Volleyball League (Disabled) one of the event's beneficiaries.
Jeff
Garage Bar
#9 Street 110
Phnom Penh
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

http://cambopedia.com/2010/07/solo-guit ... cohen.html

Solo guitarist Patrick Mercier to play Leonard Cohen
17 July 2010

Solo guitarist will play Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Simon and Garfunkel, Eagles, The Band, Waylon Jennings, Emmylou Harris, The Dixie Chicks, The Pogues, Bob Marley… etc

Where: FCC, 363 Sisowath Quay
When: Saturday Jul. 17, 19:00
This was posted on Twitter by:

http://ki-media.blogspot.com/
KI-Media
Dedicated to publishing sensitive information about Cambodia
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
casterbridgecohen

It would be interesting to have a response from Mr Minko to the well presented comments regarding the Cambodian Red Cross made by Strangemusic in the thread above and I can certainly understand why Strangemusic finds the recent Press Releases rather condescending and heavy handed. If nothing else his comments demonstrates those who have expressed concerns have done so on the back of clearly documented facts and if you put such high prices and the Cambodian government in the same equation it was inevitable there would be some strong questions raised. This is where i suspect the organisers have been naive.

I would certainly not be holding my breath for a thorough audit of the Concert proceeds however - Going to a charity is one thing - How they are administered thereafter is quite another! And dont forget we are talking about the government that gave safe haven to the wanted former Thai PM Taksin Shinawatra to ferment uprest in neighbouring Thailand and we all sadly saw the results of that
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

This makes me very hungry - :lol: :lol: 8)
http://www.themekongsessions.com/index. ... &Itemid=10
Catering to the Stars

The Mekong Sessions is delighted to announce that Luu Meng has accepted the position of Catering Manager for the up-coming Leonard Cohen concert on November 27.

Anyone familiar with the food in Phnom Penh will know that Luu Meng’s name is synonymous with innovative Khmer cuisine based on tradition, fine ingredients, attention to detail and imagination. Clients who eat at his restaurants, Malis and Topaz, are greeted by a combination of fine food and fabulous decor which makes for a memorable dining experience.

He trained as a hotel chef and worked in several other countries including Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam. Back in Cambodia, Luu Meng met his current business partner Arnaud Darc and the idea for Malis was born. Luu Meng enjoys working in a restaurant where he has more freedom to experiment with ingredients and develop new dishes or contemporary variations based on established ones, like his very popular Prahok Ktis (fermented fish paste with minced pork). His menus regularly feature high-quality beef, river fish and lots of fresh herbs and spices reflecting the Indian influence on Khmer food.

Luu Meng’s interests span the gamut of the hospitality industry in Cambodia. In addition to being a chef and restaurant owner, Luu Meng and his partner recently opened the upscale, boutique, Almond Hotel and he is currently the President of the Cambodian Hotel Association, a national industry group.

As well as taking care of all the catering associated with the event, Luu Meng will also be responsible for setting up a food precinct on the forecourt outside the venue, allowing concert goers to experience some of the best local Khmer cooking.

Luu Meng says "I’m very pleased to be involved with an event featuring an artist of Leonard Cohen’s stature. I’m confident that the number of people visiting Phnom Penh for the concert will be good for the hospitality industry in Phnom Penh as well as the local economy as a whole."

Great music and fabulous food.............sounds like a recipe for success.
jmudrick

Post by jmudrick »

Topaz is indeed the finest restaurant in town (at least that I've experienced) and priced accordingly. Astonishingly good food.
Jeff
Garage Bar
#9 Street 110
Phnom Penh
casterbridgecohen

Then again as an alternative it could have been catering by the Foreign Correspondents Club - I seem to recollect their Burgers are about the best I have sampled in South East Asia.
jmudrick

Post by jmudrick »

You're entitled to your opinion but I don't know many expats who frequent FCC as there are a lot better choices for food out there. It's got a nice view and comfy chairs.
Jeff
Garage Bar
#9 Street 110
Phnom Penh
casterbridgecohen

Maybe its travellers rather than expats that gather there altho on the occasions I have been I was under the impression that there was a mix of 'locals' and people passing through. Handy location, nice and good quality T shirts (cheaper than Leonards!)that wear well and the food is fine unless you are a gourmet!

Sounds like a TripAdvisor report!

Return to “The World Tour 2010”