No permit for Cohen concert yet

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jammymulligan

No permit for Cohen concert yet

Post by jammymulligan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:40 pm

I want to alert every one to the fact that the County Manager of Sligo , Mr Hubert Kearns, has not issued a permit for the concerts in Lissadell. There is an article in the local paper, The Sligo Champion about it. I rang the council and was told they were unhappy with the traffic plan, toilet facilities and other concerns. I am very concerned as Mr Kearns is embroiled in a High Court row with the owners of Lissadell ( Cassidys) over rights of way. I am very much afraid that he is abusing his power to hit back at the Cassidys and will scupper the concert.
I would urge everyone to email info@sligococo.ie and let them know how you feel about this. We all want to see Leonard Cohen in Sligo...lets fight for it. Don't let power-mad paid officals dictate .
Mabeanie1

Re: No permit for Cohen concert yet

Post by Mabeanie1 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Someone (are you there carlowmike?) may know more about these things than I do but I really would not start worrying yet. It is not at all unusual (certainly in the UK) for there to be big delays in obtaining the necessary permits or licences for events like the Lissadell concerts. Often the permits are only issued at the very last minute as the local authorities and police haggle over every last detail of the promoter's plans. I went to one event a few years ago on the banks of Loch Ness where they only got their licence in the last week before the concert. Everyone knew it was going to happen and the local economy was depending upon it but the police dug their metaphorical toes in and would not approve the plans until the promoters built a new access to the site, complete with a brand new temporary footbridge.

Wendy
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:11 am

jammymulligan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:40 pm

I want to alert every one to the fact that the County Manager of Sligo , Mr Hubert Kearns, has not issued a permit for the concerts in Lissadell. There is an article in the local paper, The Sligo Champion about it. I rang the council and was told they were unhappy with the traffic plan, toilet facilities and other concerns. I am very concerned as Mr Kearns is embroiled in a High Court row with the owners of Lissadell ( Cassidys) over rights of way. I am very much afraid that he is abusing his power to hit back at the Cassidys and will scupper the concert.
I would urge everyone to email info@sligococo.ie and let them know how you feel about this. We all want to see Leonard Cohen in Sligo...lets fight for it. Don't let power-mad paid officals dictate .
Yes there was a problem and from the time, back in February, when the "Bird-on-The-Wire" first twittered about the Concerts, some of us have been aware of the "troubles" looming in the background.
This is one of the reasons that I have attended meetings in Sligo,
it is also why the Members of the Forum were requested to make suggestions to the "Coming Together For Sligo" committee and assist the people of Sligo in helping us and also to assert to the "powers that be " how important the Concerts were / are to business life in the Sligo area.....
All that said, I and some others involved are very positive at this late stage that the Concerts are going ahead, ;-),
I expect to have some fresh news on this tomorrow.
Thanks to jammymulligan for bringing this issue forward, I was reluctant to mention it as I had run into trouble earlier on this thread and thought it best to keep my head down and remain calm !....... :neutral:
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
keanrn5y

Post by keanrn5y » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:48 pm

Event license applications are like planning applications. The information lodged will not always be to the liking of the local authorities therefore the nitty gritty has to be resolved before any grant of license can be issued. This is standard procedure and with most outdoor concerts, the issuing of licence may not be done up untill a few weeks before the show but does be issued.

And also, think about it, it would be very stupid of the council to refuse a licence in the current climate. The 3 shows at lissadel will generate a small fortune to the local community.
coolfadda

Post by coolfadda » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:16 pm

keanrn5y wrote:Event license applications are like planning applications. The information lodged will not always be to the liking of the local authorities therefore the nitty gritty has to be resolved before any grant of license can be issued. This is standard procedure and with most outdoor concerts, the issuing of licence may not be done up untill a few weeks before the show but does be issued.

And also, think about it, it would be very stupid of the council to refuse a licence in the current climate. The 3 shows at lissadel will generate a small fortune to the local community.
Yes, it would be very stupid of them. Sometimes I wonder if Ireland is the planet of the apes in so far as government is concerned!! And yet, we keep voting them in :lol:

Maybe thats a bit harsh. I've no doubt it will all work out in the end and the best concert in europe will unfold before our eyes. :D

Return to “The World Tour 2010”