Phnom Penh

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jarkko
Site Admin

Phnom Penh

Post by jarkko » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Many websites are writing about a tentative concert date in Phnom Penh.
I'm getting emails from members in Asia asking whether this is true or not, and it will be easier to post an answer here so that everybody can see it.
I have checked with the tour management, and found out that the information is premature because the concert has NOT yet been officially confirmed!!
Leonard's huge popularity around the world means that promoters in every country want to have a local date, but there is room only for some new
locations. The World Tour 2010 is going to its end on a given date, and that cannot be changed.

So, we have to wait and see what happens! (Did I hear someone mention the word "patience"?)

I'm copying here the messages about the Cambodian news from another thread (QUIZ 2010):

sturgess66 was the first to post here about Cambodia:
Phnom Penh, Cambodia November 27th
DrHGuy has posted a link at his site for for a blog - Andy's Cambodia - http://blog.andybrouwer.co.uk/
The new edition of AsiaLife came into my possession today and it confirms that the first of the Mekong Sessions acts to perform in Phnom Penh will be Leonard Cohen, the 'godfather of gloom,' indoors at the Olympic Stadium on 27 November. Cohen is on a world tour and Phnom Penh will be his only SE Asia date.
http://1heckofaguy.com/
Pironi:
A friend of mine who lives in Saigon told me about the article in AsiaLife yesterday. I found it at http://www.asialifehcmc.com/LowRes_pdfs ... aIssue.pdf
Article about Mr. Cohen's Cambodia concert on pages 48 and 49. You MUST read it!!
Pietro.

LEONARD COHEN COMES TO CAMBODIA
Seldom has a musician of Leonard Cohen's stature performed in Phnom Peng. Mark Bibby Jackson talks to the men responsible for bringing the groundbreaking concert to Cambodia

I responded:
Well well well... the internet makes it about impossible to keep any information hidden.
Please note that the concert has NOT yet been confirmed, and some information in the article may be premature.
sturgess66:
Very nice article pironi - thanks.
And - Jarkko - some of the information is premature? I am guessing that the statement "Phnom Penh will be his only SE Asia date" is perhaps incorrect- based on your saying "BUT: this is - to the best knowledge available today - not the correct answer to our Quiz!"
Phnom Penh will not be the last date?
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Phnom Penh (NOT yet confirmed)

Post by jarkko » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:48 pm

The rumor is also discussed on this local Phnom Penh Forum "Cambodia from the inside":
http://www.khmer440.com/chat_forum/view ... e1a04e4287

and here is the original article from AsiaLife that started this discussion: http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/asialife.jpg
(use the link to see the whole article - the file is too big to be shown here)

The concert has not been confirmed yet by the tour management. We will keep you updated!

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jmudrick

Post by jmudrick » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:21 pm

Yes well not only is the appearance in Phnom Penh the cover story in Asia Life, there are not one but two full page ads from the promoter AEG Live. If this is not confirmed it would seem someone missed a meeting. Ouch.

Jeff
Phnom Penh
Jeff
Garage Bar
#9 Street 110
Phnom Penh
jglBB

Post by jglBB » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 pm

All of a sudden my last city guess of Shanghai doesnt look so crazy anymore. :shock:
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 pm

Jeff, is the print version of AsiaLife (the June issue) different than the pdf version available online? I browsed through all 120 pages and could not find any ads by AEG.
jmudrick

Post by jmudrick » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:47 pm

Yes. AEG Live ads appear on inside back cover and page 9 of the print edition. The one on the inside back cover also bears the logos of the Cambodian Red Cross and CNVLD.

Jeff
Phnom Penh
Jeff
Garage Bar
#9 Street 110
Phnom Penh
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:27 pm

This statement was part of the AsiaLife blog...

"AND: AsiaLIFE breaks the news on the biggest concert to hit Phnom Penh in … well … perhaps ever!"

No names mentioned but I think we now know whose name it might be...even though it's officially "not confirmed"!
jmudrick

Re: Phnom Penh (NOT ýet confirmed)

Post by jmudrick » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:09 pm

...and just to make things even more interesting the local rumour is that a majority of the tickets for this unconfirmed concert have been "pre-sold". I'm hoping that's not the way this is going to be done.
Jeff
Garage Bar
#9 Street 110
Phnom Penh
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:01 pm

From a blog called Phnom Phen Garage Notes -
http://jungle-bar.blogspot.com/2010/06/ ... icles.html
Monday, June 07, 2010

The Lenny Chronicles

Leonard Cohen is PROBABLY coming to Phnom Penh. This month's Asia Life features a cover story on the man, and two full page ads from the promoter for a concert on November 27. Curiously Cohen's management is still holding back any confirmation of the concert pending I really have no idea what. The "concert" is to be held at the indoor hall at Olympic Stadium, which Wiki tells us holds 8,000 souls. Are there that many Leonard Cohen fans in Cambodia? Certainly not, put the promoter expects to attract well-heeled expats from throughout the region for this first in a series of benefit concerts. As the proceeds are to benefit Mrs. Big Man's Cambodia Red Cross charity, one would expect there'd be a few generals and their spouses to fill some seats too.

I sure hope it comes off I'll be there, perhaps not with bells on, more likely a fedora. I'll be in L.A. just in time to pick one up at Hollywood Hatters where Leonard buys his.

Cohen's most recent "Live in London" cd is terrific. Ask for it at Garage.

Posted by Jeff at 6/07/2010 05:04:00 PM
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:30 pm

... is that Jeff as in forum member jmudrick?

Wendy
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Good question Wendy. Is jmudrick a Gemini who likes a perfect mango salad? :razz:
jmudrick

Post by jmudrick » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:55 pm

sturgess66 wrote:Good question Wendy. Is jmudrick a Gemini who likes a perfect mango salad? :razz:
Nowhere to hide eh?? Sure, that'd be me. Join me at Garage for a night with Leonard soon y'all.
Jeff
Garage Bar
#9 Street 110
Phnom Penh
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:02 pm

Haha jmudrick. A perfect mango salad sounds delish. But - are you Canadian? Just wondering - eh?? :lol: :lol:
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi Jeff,

Is your avatar really you? I'm sure you have some interesting stories!
jmudrick

Post by jmudrick » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:57 am

I'm getting lost as what board I'm on! I'm from California. My avatar is the late Sky Saxon of the Seeds. Wonder if he and Leonard ever crossed paths?
Jeff
Garage Bar
#9 Street 110
Phnom Penh

Return to “The World Tour 2010”