QUIZ 2010: where is the last concert

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
cpl593h

Re: QUIZ 2010: where is the last concert

Post by cpl593h »

Honolulu | Las Vegas ||

fair enough, i just think Vegas is such an un-Leonard place to hold what may well be his last ever concert. i'm not saying that i am not going, as such...just it's the world centre of all things greedy, crass and cheesey, isn't it?

weird
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

have to agree with the above. why not montreal or another site in canada? or even nyc? tell us it's not so, leo!
yoeri

Post by yoeri »

I agree. Anything better than Las Vegas...
2008: Athens
2009: Madrid
2010: Gent, Lille
2012: Gent, Berlin, Madrid
2013: Antwerp, Brussels, Pula, Amsterdam
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

final word now out. gentility and coolness did not win out.
giest

Post by giest »

Behemoth wrote:Well if that's what it is then LC has really screwed over is fans in Asia :(
Well, they just have to get over to Phnom Penh. I have a feeling that all of Leonard's most ardent fans in SE Asia will fit in the venue in PP with room to spare! (BTW, I am in Bangkok too, so I know where you are coming from on this).
StBruno

Post by StBruno »

Just when I'd saved up enough to get to the Isle of Dogs...

Good luck to all who're closer or richer than me (or just tried harder to be free!) :D . Keep those reports coming.

Best,
B
...like one who believes
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

Las Vegas?

Gosh.

That's stupified me ...

Oh, well.
I can now save for the next UK promo gigs. (please, baby, please, baby, please ..........).

Enjoy Vegas!
Glad that Leonard has conquered that pesky financial matter.
Am looking forward to watching the remainder of the Tour on the Forum.
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
Behemoth

Post by Behemoth »

Geoff wrote:
Behemoth wrote:Well if that's what it is then LC has really screwed over is fans in Asia :(
Well, they just have to get over to Phnom Penh. I have a feeling that all of Leonard's most ardent fans in SE Asia will fit in the venue in PP with room to spare! (BTW, I am in Bangkok too, so I know where you are coming from on this).

I suppose if the Phnom Penh shows were reasonably priced then a whole stadium full of us would head over there. Now it may be the only option... Cheers!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Well, this means congratulations to Leslie/mutti who was the first to guess Las Vegas!!!! Good for you Leslie :D :!:
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

So right Mary! Yaay Leslie!!! :D :D :D
casterbridgecohen

Post by casterbridgecohen »

Some people obviously dont like the idea of Vegas.

Everyone thought last year that Leonard and Las Vegas was the most unlikely combination but hey it worked big time - and Caesars who at first declined Robert Kory's request for Leonard to play Caesar's were very keen he return once they saw his world wide drawing power.

Leonard is his own man and I think the initial idea to play there last year came from him, the incongruity apealing to his humour and basically it might be a fun type unusual thing to do towards the end of his career

We sometimes forget leonard is his own man and not what we want him to be - and anyway Vegas can be a fun town. If one doesn't like it - don't go!

Lots of artists have a plethora of Farewell tours and performances - maybe Leonard too will come again one day.
Last edited by casterbridgecohen on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

From what I understand, Las Vegas was chosen because of the excellence and professionalism of the in-house technicians.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
yoeri

Post by yoeri »

casterbridgecohen wrote:Some people obviously dont like the idea of Vegas.

Everyone thought last year that Leonard and Las Vegas was the most unlikely combination but hey it worked big time - and Caesars who at first declined Robert Kory's request for Leonard to play Caesar's were very keen he return once they saw his world wide drawing power.

Leonard is his own man and I think the initial idea to play there last year came from him, the incongruity apealing to his humour and basically it might be a fun type unusual thing to do towards the end of his career

We sometimes forget leonard is his own man and not what we want him to be - and anyway Vegas can be a fun town. If one doesn't like it - don't go!

Lots of artists have a plethora of Farewell tours and performances - maybe Leonard too will come again one day.
I don't oppose to Vegas as a town for (even) a Cohen concert and I can see the humour of it. But to choose it as last town after some 250 concerts???
2008: Athens
2009: Madrid
2010: Gent, Lille
2012: Gent, Berlin, Madrid
2013: Antwerp, Brussels, Pula, Amsterdam
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

cpl593h wrote:Honolulu | Las Vegas ||

fair enough, i just think Vegas is such an un-Leonard place to hold what may well be his last ever concert. i'm not saying that i am not going, as such...just it's the world centre of all things greedy, crass and cheesey, isn't it?

weird
Well, it's not Hydra nor Liverpool so I really have to remember that whilst I am quite well paid there are limits. I think that the choice is beautiful in the complexity of its meanings but still have this hope that, all being well, forces we barely understand being willing, after a brilliant new album, there will be another leg of a truly neverending tour in 2012 or thereabouts. I'll only be 52 so I shouldn't be too old to follow the tour around a bit! Just about two and a half years ago I was pretty sure Leonard Cohen would be top of my list of artists I wish I'd seen live ....Joni Mitchell currently tops the list but she was ALWAYS much lower down than Leonard ... 10 concerts, new friendships, and a thousand brilliant memories later I am calling it a day for 2010. At the end of it all, 250 shows, 2 DVDs, 4 million youtubes not all filmed by Albert, Dr Heck of a Guy's brilliant humour, twice meeting some of the band, even one brief meeting and one photograph with Leonard himself, a beautiful evening in St Margarethen with Luka, Tom, Juraj and others containing a story so wonderful I can dine on it for years (and will never tell here); the thing that is most precious is this forum, its webmasters and of course the beloved Jarkko. Jarkko, who never got upset (except maybe with Ticketmaster from time to time), who taught us all the importance of patience and the fact that in some games it is as good to be the person being teased as the one doing the teasing. Jarkko - can you imagine a world without passwords for tickets; questions about PST, BST, PMT, GMT; and so much more? What will you do with all the free time - guess the album track (Tom will win hands down!)? See you on Hydra in 2011 if not before!

love to all and for once, hearing from you will be as good as being there!

Paul
Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
casterbridgecohen

Post by casterbridgecohen »

Good Post Paul and I can echo your comments.

I have made the decision to stay on for a few more years of my working life and as I built a big company that employs 40 and is about to recruit 10 more I am well paid (by myself!) so I can indulge myself and go to the two Las vegas concerts which will be concerts 20 and 21 for me over the last two years.

If you are in your 50s when Leonard reappearrs (as I suspect he might) you will be well able to follow him around as yout time and purse allows.

Its been a crazy two and a half years and all credit to Leonard and the team for keeping the momentum going and the quality so high.

A concert every four days plus all the travelling, hotel check ins and outs, sound checks, meals on the run. It aint easy -in fact its an amazing logistical operation and Leonard has taken so many with him in his wake - physically and spititually!
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam

Return to “The World Tour 2010”