Tips to get refunds/credits

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Kenadian

Tips to get refunds/credits

Post by Kenadian » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:48 pm

I know many of you are dealing with possible financial losses with the delay of the concert, so here are a few tips to help you get at least something back. All tried successfully by myself over the years.

Call the hotel directly and see if they will move your dates. They have your money already, and September isn't high season, so you may find them very co-operative. Credits or changed dates are easier to get than refunds. Just explain the situation, and make sure you talk to someone who has the power to make it happen.

The same applies to airfare and trains. Most likely you won't get a refund but even half your money back in the form of a credit is something.

I had a unused ticket for a France train (SNCF) and didn't use it...non-refundable, non-changeable, and non-negotiable. It took a while, but they did issue me a credit for future use.

Same thing for a flight from San Fran to Toronto I didn't use because I ended up in Chicago (long story). They finally issued me a credit for a one-way flight SF-TO to be used within a year.

Another option is to sell your hotel room or train trip. Maybe you can change the hotel reservation to another name and if not, give another name and tell the hotel they will arrive before you and to allow them to check in without you.

Train tickets don't usually require ID so you could also sell your train ticket, even at half price it is better than nothing.

Don't accept the first 'non' as an answer.

Does your credit card have cancellation insurance? Can you still purchase cancellation insurance for the trip? Sometimes you can up to a certain time before the trip.

Remember, the answer is always no until you ask!

Cheers,
Ken(adian)

P.S. Anyone else have suggestions or success stories doing this???
2008: Kitchener|Hamilton x2|Toronto x3|Montreal x2|2009: New York|Detroit|New York x2|Hamilton|Kingston|Ottawa x2 |Colmar|Vienne|Nimes|Philadelphia|New York MSG)|Cleveland|Nashville|2010: Sligo x2|Lisbon |Caen|Grenoble|Strasbourg|Marseille|Tours|Lille|Victoria|Vancouver|Oakland x2|Vegas x2|and more.
Mabeanie1

Re: Tips to get refunds/credits

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:13 pm

Here we go again ... someone who thinks we can all get our money back. God knows, it can be hard enough sometimes to get a refund even when you're plainly entitled to it!

Are you planning to offer your services to negotiate the refunds for us Ken? ;-)

Incidentally, and in fairness to Ryanair (my Bratislava flights), I should mention that these are changeable. However, in my experience the change fees are invariably MORE than the cost of new flights!

Finally, on travel insurance, I believe my annual policy covers the illness of a close family member. However, unfortunately I don't think it covers the illness of someone I wish was a family member.

Wendy
Kenadian

Post by Kenadian » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:34 am

Mabeanie1 wrote:Here we go again ... someone who thinks we can all get our money back.
Well, I don't remember going the first time. I simply offered some suggestions which may help mitigate some forum members financial losses. I too, have been there many times and those tips are some of the things I have done.

I'm not posturing, I'm not patronising...I'm just saying.

Cheers,
Ken(adian)
2008: Kitchener|Hamilton x2|Toronto x3|Montreal x2|2009: New York|Detroit|New York x2|Hamilton|Kingston|Ottawa x2 |Colmar|Vienne|Nimes|Philadelphia|New York MSG)|Cleveland|Nashville|2010: Sligo x2|Lisbon |Caen|Grenoble|Strasbourg|Marseille|Tours|Lille|Victoria|Vancouver|Oakland x2|Vegas x2|and more.
drsing

Post by drsing » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:48 pm

Kenadian wrote:...I'm just saying.
That's how I understood your e mail, so thanks for the tips. They are most welcome now.
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
confetti

Post by confetti » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:08 pm

Good points Ken, credits will nearly always be given in favour of a refund.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Thanks Ken - I'm going to give it a go with my non-refundable Eurostar tickets (I can't sell them as they are named e-tickets). I'm not expecting my money back, but perhaps they might move them to the new date in September. If you don't ask, you don't get!
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
remote1

Post by remote1 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:40 pm

In my experience, if you actually go to the terminal at St Pancras, they tend to be very friendly and helpful. Might be better than giving them a phone call. Worth a try? Good luck in any case! :)
"We are so lightly here"
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:49 pm

remote1 wrote:In my experience, if you actually go to the terminal at St Pancras, they tend to be very friendly and helpful. Might be better than giving them a phone call. Worth a try? Good luck in any case! :)
Ah, I've not had much dealings with Eurostar before, I will try that, thanks for the tip :D
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
remote1

Post by remote1 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:34 pm

You're most welcome!
"We are so lightly here"
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:42 pm

If anyone does try to get a refund/credits/date change from Eurostar, can you let us know if you were successful?

I may go to Lille in a few weeks anyway, but it would be helpful if I decide against going to be able to say to Eurostar that I am aware of customers who have been able to get money back/dates changed, if indeed anyone else does manage to.
Kenadian

Post by Kenadian » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:14 pm

somewhat_nifty wrote:
remote1 wrote:In my experience, if you actually go to the terminal at St Pancras, they tend to be very friendly and helpful. Might be better than giving them a phone call. Worth a try? Good luck in any case! :)
Ah, I've not had much dealings with Eurostar before, I will try that, thanks for the tip :D
Yes good idea, it's much easier for them to say no on the phone than to some dewy-eyed person standing right in front of them :-)

I'd bring a newspaper clipping or a printout of the announcement from this website, which mentions the delay as support, and your concert tickets or email verification...the agent may not have been following the 'What is going on?' thread on the forum ;-) I am sure they get many requests and proving yours is legit may have some sway as well.

Cheers & good luck!
Ken(adian)
remote1

Post by remote1 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Just to add that I am (almost) certain they will NOT give you a refund, BUT if you ask nicely (and bring the paper cuttings with you as suggested by Ken), they may agree to change the date, 'just this time'... Also (and I know this may be somewhat controversial), go for a young lad. There again, and in my experience only, they have the biggest hearts. And they can't resist the cocker spaniel look. Finally, choose a time when the place is likely to be fairly quiet... Manipulative, me? Never! ;-)
"We are so lightly here"
golo99

Post by golo99 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:47 pm

As I mentioned elsewhere, it would be nice if AEG could have a word with Eurostar, explain the circumstances, collate the refunds/credits if necessary (would have to be a credit rather than a changed date as I'm pretty sure they don't sell tickets for September this far in advance). There's of course no obligation on AEG to get involved in this way, but it would show a lot of goodwill. I mentioned how the football club I support, when a game got postponed at short notice, the club negotiated with the train company fans had booked to travel with, and got them to agree to give full refunds to everyone with non-refundable tickets. Couldn't AEG "put in a word" for us with Eurostar in a similar way?
2008 Dublin June 15th, Manchester June 20th, Vienna Sept 24th, London Nov 17th, Brighton Nov 28th / 2009 Weybridge July 11th / 2010 Malmo Aug 4th, Lille Sept 25th / 2012 Dublin Sept 12th & 14th / 2013 Brighton Aug 28th
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:09 pm

Great advice, thanks, very resourceful (perhaps verging on the devious ;-) ). I'll arm myself with cuttings, target a young guy and wear my non-waterproof mascara and see if I can squeeze out a tear or two :lol: I'll let you know how I get on...
confetti

Post by confetti » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:25 pm

St Bruno and Vicomte have changed their arrangements at very little cost, not sure how they were travelling, but they have mentioned it in this thread viewtopic.php?f=44&t=20068&start=30
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"

Return to “The World Tour 2010”