New songs for 2010 tour

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
B4real

New songs for 2010 tour

Postby B4real » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:57 am

I was wondering if there will be any new songs for the tour this year. I expect the three new blues songs - Lullaby, The Darkness and Feels So Good - will be played, but what about some of Leonard's other songs?

I'd like to see:
Avalanche, The Window, The Traitor, and The Faith included somehow in the concerts. Also I'd like Leonard to read some of his short poems as he used to do in past concerts. Do you think this could be a possibility? Although these are my choices for inclusion - would you like to see some additional and or alternative new material? Or are you happy with the current selection?
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
bridger15

Re: New songs for 2010 tour

Postby bridger15 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:21 am

B4real wrote:I was wondering if there will be any new songs for the tour this year. I expect the three new blues songs - Lullaby, The Darkness and Feels So Good - will be played, but what about some of Leonard's other songs?
If you look on the right side of the setlist used for the last four concerts before San Jose, you will see a list of songs they had rehearsed in case of last minute substitution.
---Arlene
Attachments
setliststlouis.jpg
setliststlouis.jpg (53.95 KiB) Viewed 3044 times
Last edited by bridger15 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
brightnow

Postby brightnow » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:50 am

Just one wish: please, please, please, please... "One of Us Cannot Be Wrong".
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
B4real

Postby B4real » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:06 am

Thanks for that Arlene,

At least "Avalanche" is there - It would be great if it was sung :D

and brightnow I agree, I love "One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong" - it is in my top 21 songs 8)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
newyork

Postby newyork » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:49 am

He played "Avalanche" when I was there at the 3rd Montreal concert in June 2008. I thought it was the best song of the night. I was disappointed he didn't sing it many times afterward.
remote1

Postby remote1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:48 am

Well, I'm not too demanding, especially since I am tied at home so I will not be able to attend any of the shows... So here is my dream list of new songs for 2010:

The Guests
There is a War
Take This Longing
Teachers
Master Song
Leaving Green Sleeves
Story of Isaac
You Know Who I Am
Seems So Long Ago, Nancy
Field Commander Cohen
Love Calls You By Your Name
Avalanche
One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong
The Stranger Song

Thanks for asking B4real! 8)
"We are so lightly here"
graham.putt

Postby graham.putt » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:07 am

I would like to add my vote to bring back 'Hey, thats no way to say goodbye'. I watched Live in London again last night (I am housesitting at my friends' who have a huge screen TV which I have never much cared for, but is great to watch Leonard on!), this show is quite similar to the one I saw in Sydney early last year and 'Hey..' for me was a highlight (of many I admit... ).

There is a lot about the musicians great playing on this tour and there is no question, but of all instruments my favourite is Leonard's guitar playing and this song has moments of absolute beauty. Just after the chorus it goes still and his patient and measured notes on the guitar sum up much of my enjoyment of the whole show. Then as the song moves along we get to Dinos Harmonica playing which is lovely, more organic than some of the other instuments he plays and then there is also Roscoe is on the standup bass, what is not to like!

Having said all that there are many songs from the recent USA shows that I would have removed even for this, off the top of my head. ..
* Gypsy Wife
* Suzanne
* Sisters of Mercy
* If it Be Your Will

That is a pretty good list from remote1 I must admit, I would also love to see 'The Guests' after watching that (much older) great version on a French TV posted in another thread

graham
If your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn
They will bind you with love that is graceful and green as a stem

Sydney Jan 09, Las Vegas Nov 09, San Jose Nov 09, Auck Oct 10, Wgtn Nov 10, Chch Nov 10, Syd Nov 10, Auck Dec 13
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:40 am

I, too, vote to bring back Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye. This is one of my top-10 (possibly top-5, occasionally #1) favourite song, and I saw two concerts last year, and it was not played at either! Bummer.
Midnightchoir37

Postby Midnightchoir37 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:59 am

I was thrilled to hear two of the new songs at the show in San Jose. And my first show (Toronto) i was lucky to get to see him perform "Heart With No Companion," one of my favorites. So i would love for that song to return to the set list. But i'd also love to see him perform:
- "Memories" (he hasn't done anything from "Death Of A Ladies Man")
- "Coming Back To You"
- "Night Comes On"
- "The Guests"
- "Why Don't You Try"
- "Lover Lover Lover" (i know he's done this one, but not at any of the six shows i've attended)
- "Go No More A-Roving"
- "Undertow"
Is all of this too much to ask?
Paul Zagreb

Postby Paul Zagreb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:46 pm

I see this as a nice bit of fun because they will - for sure - play what they want to play and we all should remember that the vast majority of any audience are seeing Leonard for the first time ... I also speak from the rather fortunate position of having heard just about every song he has played only occassionally (Heart w No Companion, Lover Lover Lover, Avalanche, Chelsea Hotel, Waiting for the Miracle) at least once! And hey that's no way to say goodbye and Famous Blue Raincoat, two of my favourites, many times! I look forward to some of the new blues songs and if I really had to hope then it would be for either One of Us cannot Be Wrong or Tonight will be fine. In heaven, I guess Alexander leaving might be there somewhere too!!!!
Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
Midnightchoir37

Postby Midnightchoir37 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:28 am

Oh yes, how could i have forgotten "Tonight Will Be Fine"? That's another song i really want to see him perform. I just hope that the rumor of a New Orleans show proves accurate.
- Michael
LEONKA

Postby LEONKA » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:01 pm

Paul wrote:
I see this as a nice bit of fun because they will - for sure - play what they want to play and we all should remember that the vast majority of any audience are seeing Leonard for the first time ... I also speak from the rather fortunate position of having heard just about every song he has played only occassionally (Heart w No Companion, Lover Lover Lover, Avalanche, Chelsea Hotel, Waiting for the Miracle) at least once! And hey that's no way to say goodbye and Famous Blue Raincoat, two of my favourites, many times! I look forward to some of the new blues songs and if I really had to hope then it would be for either One of Us cannot Be Wrong or Tonight will be fine. In heaven, I guess Alexander leaving might be there somewhere too!!!!
Paul
Hi Paul

I agree with you, I will also see and hear Leonard the first time in life.
Therefore, I want to hear songs that he played Leonard in August 2009 Bratislava, for us, of course, that also new. Very, very much look forward to Leonard and the entire group. :razz:
Mollydog

Postby Mollydog » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:37 am

I really, really, really would love to hear Nancy but I have zero expectation of that ever happening. I will therefore gratefully accept One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong which is on the set list and therefore has been rehearsed by all. I also support the return of That's No Way To Say Goodbye too. Oooh, and Avalanche and.....
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
remote1

Postby remote1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:53 am

Mollydog wrote:I really, really, really would love to hear Nancy but I have zero expectation of that ever happening.
Why is that Mollydog? Is it too depressing? A bit of a taboo topic? But if it was ok then, why not now? Wondering...
Worryingly, I have this song in my head a lot of the time... It's so beautiful. And with Leonard's voice as it is now, can you imagine?
"We are so lightly here"
LEONKA

Postby LEONKA » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:04 pm

Mollydog wrote:
(I really, really, really would love to hear Nancy but I have zero expectation of that ever happening.)

I see that Leonard some songs I do not know. :roll:

Return to “The World Tour 2010”