Leonard, don't do France

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
efc

Re: Leonard, don't do France

Post by efc » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:02 pm

trish wrote:Hi Rob

Yeah we all heard those words by Roy Keane.. in one ear and out the other.. He has a tendency to take the totally opposite stance to everyone else and is not averse to whinging himself, as you may remember. In fact, he is still whinging since Saipan, 7 years ago. I am glad he has found a listener in you... :)
It's obvious that things go for and against, and that you and your ilk wouldn't have been all that upset if the same thing had happened the other way round. That's why you find it easier to ignore all that, and instead focus on Keane, and myself
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:27 pm

Rob,

I am not Irish, so it is obvious that it is not true that me and my "ilk wouldn't have been all that upset if the same thing had happened the other way round" - I would! However, I don't like blunt injustice, admittedly least of all if the "major" football nations are favoured by it; I would not have felt good about this even if Germany had profited by it. And with far-reaching consequences as this time, well, I just think that rules should be re-considered and a replay in these obvious cases made possible, otherwise, we do not have to be that surprised that there is corruption in sports...
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:22 pm

I have been reading these exchanges with some interest. I think what we need here is a good old British compromise.

Leonard: please go ahead and play the 6 dates in France. Music after all transcends politics - and football.

However, I know you will want to be sure that everyone is dealt an even hand (whoops, sorry, didn't mean to rake that one up again, erm, that everyone is dealt with fairly) so please go ahead and announce the 6 dates in Ireland.

Wendy
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:32 pm

Indeed! Don#t get me wrong, I am not in favour of "boycotting" anyone... ;-)
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:06 pm

Good afternoon Wendy and Anne.... lovely to hear from you :) :) :)
remote1

Post by remote1 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:31 pm

Mabeanie1 wrote: I think what we need here is a good old British compromise.
Lol, and that's likely to appeal to the Irish and the French! :lol:

PS: But yes, it sounds like a good compromise! ;-)
"We are so lightly here"
casterbridgecohen

Post by casterbridgecohen » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:08 am

'I only want to point out that LC is very much important than football'

Well for some its Leonard

And for some its Football.

Theres room for everyone on the planet.

And for some it would be Leonard singing at Half Time in the World Cup Final! :?
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam
trish

Post by trish » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:53 am

Rob, we are only having a laugh on this thread. Sorry if that didn't come across.... I don't think any of us are taking ourselves too seriously here :)

The thread also ties in nicely with Irishmar's one, and here's hoping that Leonard will be more receptive to our pleas than FIFA :D

Ann, great to see you back from Oz and back on the forum!
Liamberney

Post by Liamberney » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:17 pm

After Saturday's brave and skilful victory over the South Africans, our thoughts should now turn to 2011, a world cup that not only Ireland will qualify for, but one they can actually win!
Just to give this due relevence, this will coincide with Leonards second visit to the southern hemisphere (this century). Now that is heaven, a trip to New Zealand, see Ireland win the rugby union world cup and drop in on several LC gigs (with such a strong Irish contingent, we could recreate the unique atmosphere of Dublin).

(And IrishAl could record it all)

Allez les vert :D
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:16 pm

Come on Liam...I thought at least you would put in a word for Braithwaite if not Keswick....not too sure about venues in Braithwaite but a gig in the lovely little Theatre By The Lake in Keswick would even get me driving up the M6......

......as long he and his drunken brawling fans don't come back to the Liverpool Echo Arena again....

ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
terry shute

Post by terry shute » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:44 pm

what is it about the Liverpool Arena? went to see Old Bob Dylan there last April, and the place was seething with durnkeness and hostility. The show ended with one asshole climbing on stage & making a grab for Bob. Is this what you get when you put more than six scousers together on a Friday night?
btw, isn't the Theatre By The Lake in Keswick now the Theatre Under The Lake? In that case, I nominate Rhyl Pavilion.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:07 pm

Terry
I do feel I must correct you on a couple of points…..

Bob’s concert in Liverpool was not in April but on May 1st.

The theatre isn’t underwater and thankfully never was, but was fortunate to suffer little more than a flooded car park.

...btw Keswick's Theatre by the Lake, which no doubt you know is on the banks of Derwentwater is to donate the box office takings for one of the performances of its Christmas show, our Poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy’s adaptationf Grimm Tales, to the flood victim’s fund. I have it on good authority that a sold-out performance could well provide a donation of more than £5000 to the fund.
And I might as well give a plug for the the excellent Library Theatre in Manchester who are also staging Carol Ann Duffy's adaptation of Grimm Tales for the Christmas season....book soon,tickets going fast.....

...and finally I'm sure you are wrong when you suggest that it would take as many as 6 drunken scousers to start a fight and cause mayhem on a Friday night….scousers are renowned for being able to cause trouble either drunk or sober in groups as few as one on any night of the week, and not just Friday.

ta ken
Last edited by liverpoolken on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:18 am

I just heard an interview with a young South African on the German radio. As you may know, South Africa will have to play in the same group as France for the first round of the World Cup. When asked whether he thought that South Africa has got a chance against France, the guy said: "By all means, if the French have to play with their hands in their pockets". Very true, I suppose!
Personally, I found it quite funny that Germany's firs opponent wil be Australia... Not that a certain gentleman on the other side of the world is interested in soccer at all, but still - I am! ;-)
efc

Post by efc » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:03 am

trish wrote:Rob, we are only having a laugh on this thread. Sorry if that didn't come across.... I don't think any of us are taking ourselves too seriously here :)

The thread also ties in nicely with Irishmar's one, and here's hoping that Leonard will be more receptive to our pleas than FIFA :D

Ann, great to see you back from Oz and back on the forum!
Fine words and all that, but what makes you think I'm not having fun, just because I'm not part of the group think
trish

Post by trish » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:21 am

Hi Rob

Thanks for that, glad to see we are all just having fun here.

Ann

That's hilarious about the first match of your group being Germany and Australia... so funny! I am sure there will be plenty of banter at that time. Yes, I think if it was rugby it would be a more serious matter. If Australia had a soccer team as mighty as its rugby team that would be some clash in South Africa!

Return to “The World Tour 2010”