The UK is calling...

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
lizzytysh

Re: The UK is calling...

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:18 am

Haha... yeah, Mary and A.Sukitu, thanks. It's natural to want him to return... and how wonderful is that for him that people cry out for it! Still... remembering how we felt. For everyone to have that same pleasure. If I had the time and the money, I would see Leonard in every concert he played, in the best seat I could get. That won't be happening, though. It's not for lack of love of the idea of seeing him many more times or simply again... but every time he plays at a repeat place, that's one less night he can break ground someplace totally new, being there for people who have been crying ooooout for years to him to perform anywhere near them!

I love the Isle of Wight idea and am so happy for the woman whose 9-year-old grandchild ~ who already loves Leonard 8) ~ will be able to see him and I'm positively over the moon that Tom [and Jurica] will have to travel so little to see him now. It's awesome!

And what about the band and about Leonard, too... being able to travel the world over, seeing all these different countries and their people and their culture!?! It's never long in one place, it's true, but a taste of it will always remain, and they will have a better idea of where they want to return to! Meanwhile, they've at least been there and seen something!! What an incredible opportunity for them :D !

Yes, Ann, I loved your calling soft enough comment, too :lol: ... was just caught up in saying all I had to say before I had to get to bed last night.

If Leonard miraculously has a new album that he'll be touring with, then yeah, return to the UK once and to a couple places in the United States once and leave the lion's share for this album to those who have been waiting so long to see him at all, then catch US up in the 2011 go-round. I truthfully just have NO idea what to expect of Leonard. He's amazing! At 4 AM, I'm just hitting my snooze alarm... not up typing emails and writing songs :shock: !

I love you, Leonard, I really do... but I also know... that many thousands of others do, too.
More important to me than anyone seeing him dozens of times is many others seeing him once. We all know it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience; so let it be once in their lifetime, too.

~ Lizzy

[And, who knows, I may have even made my point by now ;-) .]
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:45 am

Hi remote1,

I fully endorse an Oxford gig...so start visualising. Meet up will be in the Turf Tavern. Since the Oxford New Theatre is a relatively small theatre, existing Forum members will get first option on best seats. The concert will precede the (already imagined) London show on February 27th.

All good things, John E

P.S. I believe that Leonard did play Oxford once in the 70s. If he did, I'm sure he'll remember that it's one of England's most beautiful and historical cities.
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:49 am

I'd like Brighton in the UK but I just put on another one I don't mind too much if he doesn't visit the English this time as its an excuse to travel to see him and holiday somewhere new.
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
something crazy

Post by something crazy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:08 am

lizzytysh wrote:
If Leonard miraculously has a new album that he'll be touring with, then yeah, return to the UK once and to a couple places in the United States once and leave the lion's share for this album to those who have been waiting so long to see him at all, then catch US up in the 2011 go-round.
I think this thread is not to be taken so seriously, we realise that Leonard has already graced us in the UK with more than our fair share of concerts (and the same could be said for the US). But he always leaves you wanting more, doesn't he...? It's just a light-hearted plea for more.
Last edited by something crazy on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remote1

Post by remote1 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:23 pm

John Etherington wrote:Hi remote1,

I fully endorse an Oxford gig...so start visualising. Meet up will be in the Turf Tavern. Since the Oxford New Theatre is a relatively small theatre, existing Forum members will get first option on best seats. The concert will precede the (already imagined) London show on February 27th.

All good things, John E

P.S. I believe that Leonard did play Oxford once in the 70s. If he did, I'm sure he'll remember that it's one of England's most beautiful and historical cities.
Hi John

Well, it looks like demand for Oxford is getting owerwhelming now; they won't be able to resist the pressure, I'm sure.

I'd say the Turf only if it's outside term time, otherwise we'll have to go for the Harcourt, or possibly Far From The Madding Crowd which is much closer to the New Theatre now I think of it.

Yeah, I think it's going to happen! :D
(Trying very hard to ignore what Jarrko says)

All best
Remote1
"We are so lightly here"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:17 pm

Ah, that's good to hear, something crazy, because I clearly was not so sure. I really like the idea of some taking this opportunity to visit somewhere new, as howthelightgetsin has suggested. I know how excited I was to go to Red Rocks and now San Jose for the first time [granted they're both in the U.S., but we still have to travel the long distances to get to other states as you do to get to entirely different countries and languages.

So, carry on pleading :) and ignoring Jarkko ;-) ~ I'm looking forward to seeing what new places Leonard will be going :D . I love it that he's doing so many in France ["Judy! Judy! Judy!" :D ]

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
something crazy

Post by something crazy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:25 pm

thanks for the permission!! :neutral:
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Hey John, I'll endorse an Oxford gig - but then I'd be up for any concert anywhere in the UK - though a small venue with priority for existing Forum members would be amazing...

I have this funny feeling that Moscow will NOT be the last European gig in 2010. We shall see..

But as you say, Lenny might come back in 2015 too (when he will be 81...) perhaps he will never stop touring, and we can all grow old with him (having all lost our houses long ago and living in a moveable communal tent following the endless highway that is curling up like smoke above our shoulders.)
remote1

Post by remote1 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Well that's three for Oxford, and if Leonard goes for the Playhouse, it could be just us forum members! :D :D :D
"We are so lightly here"
Undertow

Post by Undertow » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:28 pm

Suemerlyn wrote:Hey John, I'll endorse an Oxford gig - but then I'd be up for any concert anywhere in the UK - though a small venue with priority for existing Forum members would be amazing...
Things like these should not be said. I begin to imagine them in my head and the crushing reality that its not going to happen breaks my heart :(
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:52 pm

Wrong, Undertow...it IS going to happen! Read "The Secret" and burn a few Oxford blue candles!
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:08 pm

I'll go anywhere in the UK. Oxford would be fine for me though. :) :)
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:19 pm

If I may suggest another venue - nicely-sized with excellent sound, then I would recommend The Birmingham Symphony Hall.
It's also well-situated, and in a good position for both Southerners and Northeners to get to.

By the way, I think it's worth persisting with requests. This worked for Brian Wilson earlier this year. We were told repeatedly for weeks that he would only be playing Glasgow and Newcastle. Then, at the last minute, a gig at The Roundhouse was announced!

I might go and see Leonard overseas if he was playing somewhere I really wanted to go, such as Paris or Amsterdam in the Spring, but Lille in late winter - forget it! I know it's not so far, but by the time you've costed in a £115 ticket plus Eurostar, hotel, meal out etc, you're looking at best part of £300. However, I'd encourage anyone to go anywhere if they've never seen Leonard, before.

All good things, John E
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:39 am

John Etherington wrote:If I may suggest another venue - nicely-sized with excellent sound, then I would recommend The Birmingham Symphony Hall. It's also well-situated, and in a good position for both Southerners and Northeners to get to.
I'd go with that - I can make Symphony Hall in 30 minutes from home on a good day. Capacity is just shy of 2,500 though which begs an interesting question: how long can they carry on touring and still expect the shows to sell out? They played the LG (formerly NEC) Arena in November 2008. Would a smaller venue be more appropriate in 2010?

If they were to return to the UK, I guess the most likely option would be a couple of nights at the Royal Albert Hall, for old time's sake.

Wendy
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:06 am

Hi Wendy,

Leonard played two shows at The Royal Albert Hall last year. Although it's a historic venue and a fine building, I much prefer The Royal Festival Hall, where the sound and facilities are so much better. The RFH is definitely London's equivalent of the Symphony Hall.

All good things, John E

Return to “The World Tour 2010”