The UK is calling...

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
roan

Re: The UK is calling...

Post by roan » Sun May 30, 2010 11:24 am

FURTHER NORTH!!!------assured that we heathens up north would have sell out concerts if Mr Cohen decided to perform for us.

Ever hopeful Leeds :idea:
remote1

Post by remote1 » Sun May 30, 2010 11:29 am

Evie B wrote:I have speculated before that it might be the attempted "bullying" that took place over his concert in Israel, from the posts in the political thread the bulk of it seemed to originate in this country which may have offended. I found it very unpleasant at the time and maybe it upset Leonard, a lack of respect for his freedom of choice, I would not blame him if he felt that way. Evie B
Hi Evie, I take your point but I am inclined to think that Leonard is well above such considerations...
"We are so lightly here"
Purple Princess

Post by Purple Princess » Sun May 30, 2010 12:22 pm

I second Roan for "up north"!! ;-)
Manchester 1979; Birmingham 1985; London x 2 1988; London 1993; Edinburgh Castle, London 2008 Ramat Gan and Las Vegas 2009Sligo 2010Las Vegas Dec. 2010
Verona September 2012; Leeds sept 2013
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Evie B wrote: it just may be that the tour management believe that the UK has been fully served in the past
Evie B
I think that may very well be part of it Evie. Not for the reason you mention (that tickets may not sell) but more from the point of view that we have had our fair share and there are plenty of other places waiting patiently to see Leonard. However, the Sligo affair has shown quite clearly that the tour can be tempted back if the venue is irresistible. They have performed in beautiful and historic locations around the world over the past couple of years - for example, St Mark's Square last year, Lissadell and Santa Croce in Florence this year etc. What we need is another historic or unique venue to tempt, another Edinburgh Castle perhaps. I cannot believe that we do not have these venues in the UK with its vast wealth of cultural history. Perhaps we need to get mobilised to sew the right seeds in the minds of people who might run special events at these places. Perhaps we need a new "ideas for a great UK concert venue" thread from which all mention of traditional concert venues (arenas, Festival Hall, RAH, Oxford Apollo etc) is banned!

Wendy
remote1

Post by remote1 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Great idea Wendy! I think Stonehenge. But let's start a new and fresh thread! 8)
"We are so lightly here"
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sun May 30, 2010 3:48 pm

I'm hoping that he will return from Bratislava to the UK and Ireland before his break prior to Oz and NZ.
That's not going to happen. After Bratislava, a break will follow before the NZ/AU leg of the tour.

I can now confirm that there will be NO concerts in the UK in 2010
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:17 pm

Here's the thing. We should not be despondent just because Jarkko has confirmed that there will be no concerts in the UK in 2010. If Leonard is of a mind to continue touring into 2011 then the UK must be on the agenda. We must not let them forget us. We must keep this thread alive. Let the Irish come to us this time!

Wendy

PS I love the thought of a concert at Stonehenge! Around mid summer perhaps .....
remote1

Post by remote1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:39 pm

jarkko wrote:I can now confirm that there will be NO concerts in the UK in 2010
It is indeed the "in 2010" that is important in this sentence. Without it the meaning of the sentence would be altogether different...

But mid summer 2011 is a long long way away! We would have to think of alternative but original and irresistible winter venues! ;-)
"We are so lightly here"
slapperoonie

Post by slapperoonie » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:06 pm

I'm not one to be wishing my life away, but 2011 is starting to sound more and more appealing the more I think of it! :)
Liverpool 2009 / Manchester 2013
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:50 am

jdhayes wrote:Keep the pressure on. I'm hoping that he will return from Bratislava to the UK and Ireland before his break prior to Oz and NZ.
Does not seem much point to keep the pressure on if the decisions have already been made. It is quite clear Leonard will not be in the UK this year, but I still wonder why we were left out.
Is it something we did!!!
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
remote1

Post by remote1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:32 pm

lightasabreeze wrote:It is quite clear Leonard will not be in the UK this year, but I still wonder why we were left out.
Hey Lightasabreeze, I may be completely wrong but I wouldn't take this personally. There are so many plausible reasons why the UK was left out this time round, that it is almost pointless to try and double guess the rationale behind this decision. Especially if it's going to be in a way that makes you feel bad or worried... I really don't think that it is something we did... ;-)
"We are so lightly here"
imyourwoman

Post by imyourwoman » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:27 pm

lightasabreeze wrote:
jdhayes wrote:Keep the pressure on. I'm hoping that he will return from Bratislava to the UK and Ireland before his break prior to Oz and NZ.
Does not seem much point to keep the pressure on if the decisions have already been made. It is quite clear Leonard will not be in the UK this year, but I still wonder why we were left out.
On the contrary, the band couldn't have wished for a better audience than the one at wet Weybrige!
real-alan

Post by real-alan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:32 pm

lightasabreeze wrote:.... It is quite clear Leonard will not be in the UK this year, but I still wonder why we were left out.
hey, don't beat yourself up.... the rationale for any tour is a mix of what venues are available when, logistics, and finances.... any decision to leave out the UK will be based purely on these... I think Mr C is guaranteed adoring audiences anywhere in the world, and isn't making decisions on any notion of who is the most "deserving" (or even "imploring"!) - it would be most unusual if he had that much involvement in the planning, apart from being asked to approve once an itinerary had been largely mapped out...
you may be right, I may be crazy.... but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for...

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... plenty
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:26 pm

However, the Sligo affair has shown quite clearly that the tour can be tempted back if the venue is irresistible. They have performed in beautiful and historic locations around the world over the past couple of years - for example, St Mark's Square last year, Lissadell and Santa Croce in Florence this year etc. What we need is another historic or unique venue to tempt, another Edinburgh Castle perhaps
Some years back the Queen opened Buckingham Palace Gardens for a Concert................

possibly a word in the right quarter :idea: !

( Prince Charles is reported to be a serious Leonard Cohen fan :!: )
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
Evie B

Post by Evie B » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks Carlowmike and Real_Alan for being so kind and trying to make us feel a bit better, it is much appreciated.

I look at the schedule and see two concerts in Ireland on one side of us, then five in France on the other side. It just feels to me like some sort of point is being made. I take nothing away from Ireland and France and hope they have the most wonderful concerts as I know they will.

Suppose we might never know if this is the case, unless Leonard decides to carry on touring next year and the UK appears on the list of venues.

Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers

Return to “The World Tour 2010”