Alexandra Leaving

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
KjeXXXer

Alexandra Leaving

Post by KjeXXXer »

<3 <3 <3

What say you?
Yay or Nay?
Now you've got the gist of what my lettuce meant.
Manna

Re: Alexandra Leaving

Post by Manna »

come again?
wot wot?
Are you asking if I like the song?
jerry

Post by jerry »

Yay
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
Manna

Post by Manna »

Warning: My purpose in this thread is to increase the nonsense. Hwah hwah hwah...

I guess I don't know 3 well enough to know if I like Alexandra Leaving less than three, three times. I might like Alexandra Leaving more than three. I just don't have that kind of relationship with 3. I did once have a boyfriend who called himself 9, though.

Wait, are those hearts? Three hearts? And what do I say about Alexandra Leaving? Is it worth three hearts? Hmmm, I'll have to do some useless meditation on that while trying to save the world.
KjeXXXer

Post by KjeXXXer »

:D

Yes, those are hearts, meaning that I love the song. I was too much an airhead at the time of posting to elaborate properly.

I guess what I wanted was to ask you how you feel about the song. Personally, it had me in tears this summer, because the lyrics coincided witha situation in my life. The performance itself, I find, is just outstanding. It's just so beautiful,the whole thing..

Does this compute?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, it does, Axel. I <3 love <3 the song, too, and agree with your reasons why.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
KjeXXXer

Post by KjeXXXer »

Well Excellent! :D
linmag

Post by linmag »

It's one of my favourites too.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
KjeXXXer

Post by KjeXXXer »

It is plainly Awesome.
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Now here's a strange thing. Before I knew anything about Cavafy or "The God forsakes Anthony", the image that came into my mind on first hearing this song was that of a grandfather saying farewell at the end of a family visit, as his granddaughter Alexandra is borne away on the shoulder of her father. More interesting, even though I do now know the background, it has become irrelevant. To me the image of a little girl awaking her grandfather with a kiss is so intense that no literary explanation can replace it.

And this of course is the power of poetry. It means different things to different people.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What a beautiful image, Hydriot. You're so right on the power of poetry and I can understand why you wouldn't even want to change your image, even if you could.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
KjeXXXer

Post by KjeXXXer »

Well being young and broken hearted, I saw (and see) it as a a man saying goodbye to a woman who is swept away from him, and the focus isn't on the one who sweeps, but on the one who chooses to be swept and deserts the man who is no longer adequate or desirable.
Moreover, she demands that he understands and accepts witha smiling face, and she acts as though she's switching jobs and that there is no reason for her to do anything but smile and wave pleasently goodbye from her position there on the shoulders of this god.

What a sellout, what a betrayal. And yet he smiles reluctantly and gives her a wave with an arm that has never been heavier.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

And yet he smiles reluctantly and gives her a wave with an arm that has never been heavier.
Hi Axel ~

I'm about to leave home for the day, but wanted to say how much I like the way you expressed this. In general, I hear the song the same as you do.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
KjeXXXer

Post by KjeXXXer »

Thanks! :)
Gerrida

Post by Gerrida »

I love the song, one of my favourites. Somehow I always tend to connect it to Zen Buddhism; the woman leaving and getting lost into another world. Although I do not know enough about it to be sure. But whatever the meaning, for me it is the most beautiful song on TNS.

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”