"The Letters"

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
Manna

Re: "The Letters"

Post by Manna »

What a tragic thing to wish. :cry:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Manna ~

I'm trying to figure out what you mean with your comment. Will you help me please? [I wish I could write like that, too... not that it's wishing a flood on anyone.] Thanks.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, okay... I see what you mean. Being "able to write like that" for me simply meant "that effectively," not in the sense of sacrificing one's individuality as a writer.

Please consider sharing some of your own poetry in the Member's Poetry section, Pbshel 8) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Manna

Post by Manna »

Well, maybe wishing one could write like somebody else is tragic.
I nearly extended my original response to include a clarification along such lines. But I decided it would be interesting to see how people took it. Sorry to guinea pig you, but what I meant did come out.
Undertow

Post by Undertow »

Its my favourite song from Dear Heather. I originally read it in Book of Longing and it really stood out so I underlined it and so on, so it was pleasant surprise to hear it on the album. In fact, Ive underlined or marked in some way all my favourite songs from Dear Heather without even knowing they were on Dear Heather!
Undertow

Post by Undertow »

pbshel67 wrote:Well, _The Final Cut_ may be better than _Radio Kaos_ overall. It may be an example of my personal affections overriding my judgment about what is best FOR PEOPLE GENERALLY, which does become more of a problem when music is introduced into rhetoric. It always is in poetry, but moreso in songwriting. At any rate, of speed, PARTS of _Radio Kaos_ are as great as anything that Floyd ever did. And _Amused to Death_ is as good as any Floyd album. Maybe better. Although I don't like the whole insult game, it does make me laugh. Like Don Rickles. And Matthew Arnold. He's as funny as Byron or Wilde!

And every song that Cohen does is excellent. Some are better than others, though!! Funny enough, "Roses Grow" WAS one of the first CB songs I loved. And I never liked rap!
Wrong thread?

However, to derail thread further, let me disagree here.

Amused to Death while being a great album, will never be in the same league as Dark Side Of The Moon/Animals/Wish You Were Here. Waters may be good, but hes not that good.

And true, parts of Radio Kaos are great. But the amount of filler is sickening, some standout tracks though. Amused to Death is probably his best one so far, but even that is not good enough to be compared to true Floyd. In fact, I think the Division Bell is probably better than anything Waters has managed to do solo, Coming Back To Life just by itself trumps any of Waters songs (the only real worthy contender being Too Much Rope)

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”