The "Dear Heather" Divide

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
lizzytysh

Re: The "Dear Heather" Divide

Post by lizzytysh »

by osmachar on Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:43 pm

KjeXXXer wrote:
I find it a very good album, although I'm not as attached to it as I sometimes can be with records.
I think The Letters, There For you and The Faith are my favorites.
Funny, that's the songs I don't like so much on the album. My faves are Undertow, Go no more a roving, Morning glory.
See how different we all can be about the same guy, the same album, the same songs :lol: ? Perfect timing for our discussion in the Leonard Cohen's Music section 8) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Gerrida

Post by Gerrida »

On this album I love Undertow, The Faith and Morning Glory, but I do not really like Dear Heather that much, even if it was meant to be playful as some of you suggest. I wonder why this song had been chosen for the album title? Who decides on that?

In my opinion Tenessee Waltz does not quite fit into the context of the songs on Dear Heather. Maybe they should've put it on another album such as More Best of .... which was recorded some years before and where other live tracks were included.

It's just my humble thoughts on this.
KjeXXXer

Post by KjeXXXer »

I think Leonard himself decides on the album titles.
I agree on Tennesee Waltz, actually I find it unlistenable. I like the other songs though, the ones mentioned earlier.
Now you've got the gist of what my lettuce meant.
jerry

Post by jerry »

The Letters, There For You and The Faith are the strongest songs.The rest of the album seems like it was added so there was enough material to call it an album.Filler.Padding.As though there really wasn't enough material for a full album.
Joney

Post by Joney »

I like Tennessee Waltz but then I am a sentimental old country fan. I really don't like 'On That Day'.
jerry

Post by jerry »

I don't even consider DH a proper LC album.It's more like a few good songs with some odds and ends thrown in.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
KjeXXXer

Post by KjeXXXer »

On That Day is pish too.
Now you've got the gist of what my lettuce meant.
preadhead

Post by preadhead »

For me, On That Day was an essential comment on events that touched everyone. Leonard has always commented on the political throughout his recording career. How could he not make a comment on that album being released then?
I enjoyed Dear Heather because it was unusual, the beat I think,but I never considered it may be tongue in cheek Lizzytish, I didn't get that before. Now I'll try to listen again and add that element.

Try as I might though, Tennesse Walz felt like a bit of a gap filler to me. It was just too different.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

I also thought Tennesse Waltz was an unusual choice for the album and possibly filler. But I did like the comparison of his voice now and then. Also i got to thinking that i had read that Dear Heather was an account of his life. There was a time early in his musical career where he did live in Tennesse where he went to compose and sing country music. Just a thought.
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”