Review of "Essential"

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
jarkko
Site Admin

Review of "Essential"

Post by jarkko »

I got this link from Jesse Kornbluth who wrote the article.
I believe we haven't found this page before.

http://headbutler.com/music/leonard_cohen.asp
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks, Jarkko!

We definitely have not seen Jesse's review ~ at least not here.

I love the way he's worked the truth in this paragraph:
Well, Leonard Cohen never said he made music for parties. He did say --- not in so many words, but this was the implicit promise --- that he'd stare the mirror down and make his secret life public. That he'd go "a thousand kisses deep" and report back. That, for the women who are his most passionate admirers, "I'm your man."
He did say --- not in so many words, but this was the implicit promise --- that he'd stare the mirror down and make his secret life public.
Excellent commentary!

And the truth of this one:
Why is Cohen such a talisman for me? Because of the remarkable consistency of his vision. Others have detoured into politics, been fooled by chimera. Cohen, from the beginning, insisted on love as his topic. We're made in love. We disappear into love. We fail, often and gloriously. But the aspiration alone, however doomed, is triumphant. "There's a blaze of light/In every word."

< give Jesse time on Dear Heather :wink: * >

~ Lizzy
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I like it. I'd say we didn't see because it's brand new: it mentiones Dear Heather, plus it's copyrighted 2006 and listed among newest reviews at main page (http://headbutler.com/music/). And I am not quite sure is it about Essential, or generally about Leonard :wink:

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”