Ten New Songs & Dear Heather (U.S.A)

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
YankovicGretzky

Ten New Songs & Dear Heather (U.S.A)

Post by YankovicGretzky »

The Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart (U.S.A)

Leonard Cohen

1. 2001 Ten New Songs.......#143.......4 Weeks on Chart
2. 2004 Dear Heather..........#131.......1 Week on Chart

Since the 1991 creation of Soundscan, the company that monitors the sales of CDs at music stores and on the internet all over the world by scanning the UPC barcodes on the back of CD cases, two of Leonard Cohen's albums have reached Billboard's Top 200 Albums Chart in the U.S. Leonard had not been on the chart in the U.S. since the 60s and 70s. What do you think sparked this new found interest in Leonard Cohen in the U.S.?

Or maybe Leonard had been popular all along but now we just have a more efficient way of monitoring sales?

I think young people were just blown away by the music of Leonard Cohen that they heard in the movies "Pump Up The Volume" and "Natural Born Killers". It made them want more.

Check out the Leonard Cohen pages and pictures on Billboard.com
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/bio/inde ... rd%20Cohen
Last edited by YankovicGretzky on Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

In 1993 LC was asked the question "why do you think so many young people at this time like your work?" LC answered :"they know its good"

Peter
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Along with Peter's quote from Leonard :lol: , which I recall from somewhere 8) , is the fact that Leonard is getting more exposure now than he was in the 60s. With so many contemporary singers/songwriters/musicians covering his songs and inviting him to be in films; documentaries being done on him and shown on public broadcasting channels; his music being used in a wide variety of films; some radio stations playing his music, sung by him or in covers; being given various awards for his word; and his being mentioned in various articles, in various ways, including travel mags and Hydra booklets ~ Leonard is becoming far better known now than he was in the 60s. It's why I feel delighted with every single thing that happens that means still more people will become aware of him.

Once Leonard's heard, however, "they know it's good" :wink: .

~ Lizzy
Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan

Post by Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan »

I'm glad that he answered the question like that. He's exactly right. I became a fan around the time that that quote was made and I was really young. After I first heard him, I immediately sought out anything I could find from him.
I think that his appearance on those charts now is probably because they do have a more accurate way of keeping track.
And, while he was by no means being arrogant, I'm happy that he didn't answer that question by being exterely humble or self-effacing.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes ~ I agree that the tracking capabilities help in the measure of Leonard's popularity, now, as well ~ though not by any means to the exclusion of what I've already cited.

Interesting typo I made up there, though ~ meant to say " . . . being given various awards for his work," and it got typed " . . . being given various awards for his word." Think I'll leave that one, but wish it had an s on there.
And, while he was by no means being arrogant, I'm happy that he didn't answer that question by being exterely humble or self-effacing.
I know what you mean, Kevin. Facts are simply that ~ facts. Leonard knows what he's about.

How old were you when you discovered him ~ and how?

Welcome to the Forum, too :D .

~ Lizzy
Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan

Lizzy,
I guess I would have been about 15 or so when I first started listening to Cohen. And such is my nature as a seeker of things that I enjoy, I ended up with all of his albums and quite a few of his books. To tell you the truth, I think the first song of his that I heard was "everybody knows."
I bought the 'I'm your man" album and then I was hooked. Right after that I found "The best of Leonard Cohen" and I was completely mesmerized and awestruck by every song on it. I played both of those first two albums that I owned so many times that I couldn't even tell you. In the process, I managed to get my Mom interested in him. (Keep in mind I was a kid and still living at home. So, like it or not, she was hearing Cohen all of the time.) I ended up having to order most of the rest of his albums because no record store where I lived at the time had them. Also, keep in mind that to this day I've only met one other person who knows anything about Cohen. Certain parts of Illinois aren't exactly the cultural apexes of the world, if you know what I mean.
But from the beginning I just instinctively knew that these songs were far beyond anything I'd ever heard. All of this was before the internet and everything, so it wasn't until a few years later that I was actually able to learn a little about Cohen outside of the music that I owned.
When I found out that he was a poet of recognition and writer, in general, I was not surprised at all. I then proceeded to get every book of his that I could. I'm still in the process of that.
When I was about 18 I saw "Ladies and Gentlemen, Leonard Cohen" but I couldn't manage to get a copy of it until a couple of years later. I watched that a lot. Being fascinated with the things he would say, and the readings.
Now I'm just trying to get whatever dvds of him that I can. I am willing to pay for bootlegs if need be, because I really don't have anything in that regard to trade. I made a post about that in the trader section.
But I've been coming to the site pretty much since I've had a computer, it seems. I've always read all of the articles and interviews but didn't get involved with the message boards until now. I am 29. I am a libra. I like to go for walks along the bank of the Ohio river, gain comfort in the strangers I see there, and then crack two or three in the mouth with a knotty stick.
So there is a little introduction to you and everyone else.
I think I'm going to have my name legally changed to knife-tit, also.
Take care.
Kevin
By the way, I have always written myself for my own amusement and the entertainment of family and friends. So, perhaps, this was why Cohen's stuff had an immediate appeal and resonance when I was young. And why it still does. The idea of my own writing makes me think of the line, "hope you're keeping some kind of record." I always liked that and related it to my own strange need for self-documentation.
You people now know more about my interests than people I talk to on a daily basis.

Thanks for the welcome. I enjoy hospitality.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Kevin ~

I'm thinking your proposed, legal name change may be a generational difference :shock: :wink: . Regarding the knotty stick, do you have a tad of Clockwork Orange in you? If not, well then, I at least know your sense of humour :wink: .

The Internet seems so adept at promoting a deeper level of sharing than in our ordinary lives. How sad is that?

Regarding the area where you live, believe me, I understand :( . Some people take the presence of Cohen material for granted, hearing him on the radio, people being aware of him, seeing his new and old material in stores. It's like No I'm-Your-Man's Land where I live, too, and any serendipitous exposure to him is delightful.
I ended up with all of his albums
Now, tell me, again...why was it you wanted that album I have :wink: ?
Thanks for the welcome. I enjoy hospitality.

So do I :) .

~ Lizzy
Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan

Hey Lizzy,

When the guy was writing about lps I was assuming he meant records not cds. I have all of the cds, but none of the records. That's what I'm now trying to get. I like the way they sound better for some reason. I have some records of albums that I also have cds for. But I'm tying to get all of Cohen's just because I want them, and because I'm a collector and appreciator.

In the other thread you were right to think that I'm not someone who would sell my Cohen stuff on ebay. In fact, I've been on the opposite end of that. I've paid a nice chunk of money for my Cohen books that I won off of there. Three of them, at least. The other three that I have weren't too expensive.

So, ooops if I was mistaken and you are actually talking about cds instead of record albums.

The name change and the knotty stick are my sense of humour. Though I probably do have some Clockwork Orange in me too. I actually do have two knotty sticks though. One with my initials carved in it. It is called "snake charmer" due to my killing a rattlesnake with it. Don't tell anyone about that. It's illegal as hell. Killing rattlesnakes, that is. But I haven't ever used said sticks for the aforementioned cracking people in the mouth. Yet. But you've gotta have goals. Things to strive for.

I've never been all that surprised that the record stores don't really have anything much by Cohen. But I've always thought it was sad that everyone knows all of the horrible crap that gets played on the radio but they haven't even heard of him.
I tend to keep it to myself. Partly because I think he's one of those seemingly esoteric artists that people who like mindless music or literature aren't going to appreciate anyway. It may seem like I'm underestimating people, but believe me, I'm not.

No-I'm-your man's land. Nice.
Generational gap? How much of one? Just curious.

Well, let me know about the album-cd-8 track-or whatever.:) If it is an actual record and you don't want me to have it because I already have the cds, that's okay. I'll just end up haveing to pay more for it later.

"Marita
Please find me
I am almost 30."
Kevin
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Kevin ~
Hey Lizzy,

When the guy was writing about lps I was assuming he meant records not cds. I have all of the cds, but none of the records. That's what I'm now trying to get. I like the way they sound better for some reason.

So, ooops if I was mistaken and you are actually talking about cds instead of record albums.
That's the answer I was jokingly-serious looking for...we're back to "It's yours." This is one I paid for with my time :shock: more than money ~ looking through boxes of old albums, displayed on the floor ~ you know how they're not always packed loosely enough to be easily viewed :roll: . I love the analog sound, as well 8) . More natural. If you want to see a stunning turntable, go to Other Music section and find Humphrey Bear's posting of one. Prepare yourself :D .

If you can't locate it, find Humphrey Bear's name [anywhere ~ the Everything Else will be a good section for that] and go to his Profile, then to the link for seeing all of his postings. You should be able to scroll down those and pick out the one that will show the photo.

Yes, of course, I presumed you not to be going about litterally [the extra t intentional ~ my sense of humour :wink: ] cracking innocent strangers by the river in their mouths; however....seemed a better way to be able to laugh at your joke than just laughing at such a notion :wink: .
Yet. But you've gotta have goals. Things to strive for.

:lol:

Is that killing of rattlesnakes illegal in your state? Or the U.S. :shock: ? It happens frequently enough here, in my state. I love walking sticks. My Dad never had 'official' ones [I wish I'd have thought to buy him one, but for years I didn't know 'official' ones existed] ~ he always made his. I have a very simple one now that he had made 8) ~ doesn't matter how it looks :D .

I tend to keep it to myself. Partly because I think he's one of those seemingly esoteric artists that people who like mindless music or literature aren't going to appreciate anyway.

Unfortunately, I've too often found this to be the case. And I believe Leonard is an esoteric artist. After getting so many blase or negative reactions, I developed a more 'protective' pattern of keeping him to myself, not wanting to hear him mindlessly criticized or conversed 'over' [as in talking when you're supposed to be listening].

The record-store fare, when his section is tiny or missing, can be sad ~ though there's still tons of good music in there; still sad that there's also tons of not-so-good music, and that Leonard is missing or barely present.

Huge :wink: .

~ Lizzy :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Kevin ~
Hey Lizzy,

When the guy was writing about lps I was assuming he meant records not cds. I have all of the cds, but none of the records. That's what I'm now trying to get. I like the way they sound better for some reason.

That's the answer I was jokingly-serious looking for...we're back to "It's yours." This is one I paid for with my time :shock: more than money ~ looking through boxes of old albums, displayed on the floor ~ you know how they're not always packed loosely enough to be easily viewed :roll: . I love the analog sound, as well 8) . More natural. If you want to see a stunning turntable, go to Other Music section and find Humphrey Bear's posting of one. Prepare yourself :D .

If you can't locate it, find Humphrey Bear's name [anywhere ~ the Everything Else will be a good section for that] and go to his Profile, then to the link for seeing all of his postings. You should be able to scroll down those and pick out the one that will show the photo.

Yes, of course, I presumed you not to be going about litterally [the extra t intentional ~ my sense of humour :wink: ] cracking innocent strangers by the river in their mouths; however....seemed a better way to be able to laugh at your joke than just laughing at such a notion :wink: .

Is that killing of rattlesnakes illegal in your state? Or the U.S. :shock: ? It happens frequently enough here, in my state. I love walking sticks. My Dad never had 'official' ones [I wish I'd have thought to buy him one, but for years I didn't know 'official' ones existed] ~ he always made his. I have a very simple one now that he had made 8) ~ doesn't matter how it looks :D .

I tend to keep it to myself. Partly because I think he's one of those seemingly esoteric artists that people who like mindless music or literature aren't going to appreciate anyway.

Unfortunately, I've too often found this to be the case. And I believe Leonard is an esoteric artist. After getting so many blase or negative reactions, I developed a more 'protective' pattern of keeping him to myself, not wanting to hear him mindlessly criticized or conversed 'over' [as in talking when you're supposed to be listening].

The record-store fare, when his section is tiny or missing, can be sad ~ though there's still tons of good music in there; still sad that there's also tons of not-so-good music, and that Leonard is missing or barely present.

lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Kevin ~
Hey Lizzy,

Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan

Hey Lizzy,

I just sent you my address. If you should need money for postage or anything i'll send it. Merci beaucoup.

Killing rattlesnakes is illegal in Illinois. However, I don't know if it's a federal sin or not. I wouldn't have killed that one but I almost stepped on it. It was a spur of the moment thing.

The sticks: My Dad makes and sells them. They look nice when they're finished. He's retired and so he does a lot of woodworking stuff like that as a hobby. Snake Charmer wasn't going to be an offcial stick when I cut it, but since I had a story to go with it, I figured that I'd turn it in to one. Fixed it up and burned my initials into it after the fact.

I've had some people who I've turned on to Cohen. Usually, though, I can tell that they're just not ready.:) Or they wouldn't be receptive to it, and since it's something that is special to me, and something that they may be surprised that I would be into, especially as heavily as I am, I tend to not give that away so easily.
"Dear, dear friends. There are very few of us left..."

When people look at my cds and books I always get asked questions about him though. If I pontificate about it or not depends on the person. I was able to get one of my girlfriends really into him. So that was nice.

"talking when you're supposed to be listening"
This was what happened when I was trying to show my brother how great Cohen's work is. He just couldn't get it. "I don't see how you can listen to that stuff." Was his exact comment. I just said, "Listen to the words." It's like Louis Armstrong said, "If you can't hear it, I can't explain it to you." Well, actually I probably could, but I didn't bother in his case. He doesn't exactly have an affinity for language and imagery.

"Your love is some dust
in an old mans cup
who is tapping his foot to a tune"
Kevin
bobbymc

Post by bobbymc »

I have been listening to Ten New Songs nonstop now for about a week,ever since I purchased it.I like most of the songs with the exception of :Alexandra Leaving,Love Itself and By The Rivers Dark.I think Love Itself and Alexandra Leaving were included on the Essential Leonard Cohen album and think songs such as The Land Of Plenty ,Boogie Street or Here It Is would have been far better choices.Overall,I love the album and it's not that I don't like the songs that I mentioned just that they are the inferior songs on the album,in my opinion.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Bobby ~
. . . just that they are the inferior songs on the album,in my opinion.
Check back with us on this thread six-months-of-listening from now :wink: . A reversal, or at least an adjustment, would not be uncommon :) .

I'm glad to hear that you love the album 8) !

~ Lizzy
secretchord

Post by secretchord »

bobbymc wrote:II like most of the songs with the exception of :Alexandra Leaving,Love Itself and By The Rivers Dark.I think Love Itself and Alexandra Leaving were included on the Essential Leonard Cohen album and think songs such as The Land Of Plenty ,Boogie Street or Here It Is would have been far better choices.Overall,I love the album and it's not that I don't like the songs that I mentioned just that they are the inferior songs on the album,in my opinion.
oh wow

Alexandra Leaving - how can you call that song 'inferior'? I'd try and convey something of the impact that song had on me when I heard it but words would not convey the poignancy and sheer transcendental beauty of it.

But hey, diversity is good.
...that David played and it pleased the Lord...

http://www.myspace.com/morrinmusic

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”