Dear Heather One Year Old

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Hi all,

I've enjoyed everyones input in this thread. I think, Tom, you said it, with this:
other artist could only dream about the "worst" Cohen-song; TNS.
:D No kidding.! It would be a very good day for anyone, if they could write like Leonard on a 'bad day'.

Also, we can change our feelings about a record. It takes a while to take root in our lives. Like a book. One day, you can't read it. On another, you can't put it down.

And I agree when Joe said:
They are not simply collections of songs but, taken together, the progression of songs tells another story. I'm interested in hearing what others think of this notion.
At this late date, Leonard is still 'movin' on' and it's really quite inspiring. Suspenseful, too! :D
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I think Joe has the point, and that's exactly what I like with Leonard: always the change. And each of the album is the monolite work... DH was little strange because its unity was in - as we all know :oops: - its experimental nature, the wish to leave "traditional-song-structure", and the will to make a a collection of "old ideas" (oh, how I still miss that title... /digression: I still wonder ho Heather is!/), as Sharon adn Anjani discovered Leonard's intention to us...

I received two point to my statements:
Dear Heather :P
Listened to it on the way to the gym this morning. It makes me happy.
Ten New Songs :D
Skied Sun valley last year and had Ten New songs playing on mp3. Time just slowed down ...very surreal...very dream like. One of the most pleasant times I've ever had.
TNS is adequate for any kind of activity :mrgreen:
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Notion to "The Letters" as being most people's favourite song: now I am totally sure that Leonard made big mistake not doing this song a single or making the video. I did tell you that Croatian Sony sent out - despite I suggested The Letters for the radio single - Go No More A-Roving, and it didn't get any air play time despite the fact it was listed on many "new releases" lists. In January, they sent out The Letters, and it stayed two months in Top 50 and reached I think #22 or 23 on national chart, and #13 on chart made by one of two Croatian cellar-phone operators VIP. Only national show for music clips is sponsored by them - but they didn't have the clip to accompany the radio hit! And then Because Of clip arrived in May, and Sony was forced to accompany the video with radio single on May compilation. Without succes on charts, and clip wasn't played on TV because managers in VIP concluded this song can't be tuned to popular Ringtone, Mediatone, Realtone whatever... But I did wrote around here that on local stations the situation is better; they probably don't buy the original albums, but are playing monthly singles' compilations they receive from Sony, EMI etc, and Because Of was much heard on some stations, and even occasional Go No More was catched... But the Letters prevailed.

Now, why I told all this: VIP has launched new fancy function, and the kids are crazy: it's called HALO Melodies: you buy the real song, and when somebody is calling you, instead of those sounds of free line etc (tuu-tuuu, you know), the operators plays to caller the song you bought... As radio station. And of course, The Letters are offered in POP HITS section!!!
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

I've read your problems with radio. I sympathize. We here, of course, have a somewhat different way of doing things (or having things done), still, it must be very frustrating! Yet, you *seem* to know all about everything on music! You must be working that computer to the bare bolts!

Linda. :D
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

The seeming fascination with ring tones weighs heavy on my heart. I'm very sorry, Tom. :?
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I know you did, Linda, you're probably the only one person following my writing to the end :lol:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm following you, Tom :D ~ just not commenting :wink: .

~ Lizzy
margaret

Post by margaret »

I'm reading you Tom 8)

The letters doesn't strike me as the best song on the album, but maybe it was considered the best commercial choice for a single. I prefer There for you, or The Faith. Also love the sweetness and charm of Nightingale.

I hate the over-the-top use of mobile phones! I'm still resisting using them and was given a simple one a few years ago that has only been used on a few rare ocaasions for what I felt was an emergency!
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Thank you for reading :D
Margaret - you're right about mobile phones. I bought the new one last december, and I took "traditionalistic Nokia", as they claimed. New series, but without the camera, mp3, realtones, incompatible for buying pictures, photos, music, games...They stated in booklet: "For those who wants classic, simple and reliable phone". That's Nokia:-) But I'm considering now this HALO offer - it's actually promotion: The Letters would play to all people who are calling me! :idea: Ahh, the consument in me... :roll:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What happened to the comments I made about cell phones today? Did I do that in another thread?

Don't do it, Tom! Don't do it!!! I see we're losing you amidst a jumble of signals [doooooon't dooooooooooooooo it, Toooooooooom..........]

Well, there he goes...
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Your're out of range, Tom. Walk about 50 metres in this direction.

Nope, still fading...

Linda.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

I was going to mention this earlier (last night/early morning):
I know you did, Linda, you're probably the only one person following my writing to the end
It was almost impossible not to! I remember (one year ago) that you were the first to take me on a 'tour' of the board. Helped me out on music, Cohen biographers, etc. A few other people as well, of course. Now look what you've done!! I'm still here!! :lol:

Linda.
Jim Sempek

Dear Heather, A favorite

Post by Jim Sempek »

The Dear Heater album continues to grow on me after eight months. I like everything about it.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Me too. I had a bit of trouble with DH in the beginning, but I'm loving it now. Anjani's vocals are perfect for Leonard. I think this is one of my faves to be. Beautiful poetry. The Letters is outstanding. Undertow is another. Then, of course, Faith.

I'm looking forward to Anjani's solo project.

Linda.
jerry

Post by jerry »

I listened to DH for the first time in a few months and maybe it was the mood I was in but it sounds better than it ever did!
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”