"In my opinion, Dear Heather is a delight."

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
Tchocolatl

"In my opinion, Dear Heather is a delight."

Post by Tchocolatl »

Ah! some comments from somebody who knows (I hope!!!! :lol: ) about the arrangments (and not just, like mine, subjectives i.e. I like this CD, 'cause I like it, that is why)

The kind of objective comments that I was waiting for.

"...Perusse smugness belies the fact that, while Cohen's trademark synth sound resurfaces on this album, the arrangements are full, complex, and improvisational. What I like about Leonard Cohen's arrangements here is that, while the drums and bass play in regular time, the keyboard solos often spill over the beat, resulting in a breathless, jazzy sound. It follows that, The Winnipeg Sun doesn't share Perusse's assessment: "Cohen and a roster of living, breathing players invest these songs with a welcome earthiness, sincerity and depth". Methinks Perusse didn't listen to the album.

Source : http://www.sendecki.com/ahadada/archive ... eather.php
bruna

funny

Post by bruna »

For me it is rather funny to read all those wise words about Dear Heather. I understand it is perhaps necessary to explore the songs like in laboratory. To make dissection of each one and examine every little detail. To use expert dictionary. To judge them. To give them label and to register them. It is some critics´ job. How lucky I am. that I feel no need to do that. I just listen to the songs and enjoy them. I am always amazed by the LC. ability to do things in new surprising way. The songs are magic for me, especially in Dear Heather album. I read some review. LC was charged with a lack of piety to lord Byron. That first song has the mood of midnight bar... And it is exactly what I like - the integration of seemingly incongruous things. Nightingale evokes some Xmas carol to me. Or Tennessee Waltz with the last verse. The songs are shifted to the higher dimension...
Very often I can hear : It is strange - like classification of some artwork (including mine). It is meant negatively. And for me as a author it is a compliment. I like strange things. I love magic, wonders and mystery. I like poetry.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Yes, he is a good poet. Poets are the best unknown/understood persons too often, when judge with a too rational mind. Who cares, people who like poetry, like it for its mystery and magic, and noboby can charge Leonard Cohen of a lack of both

I read another comment from a musician on a music site that was talking about DH, he was saying - grosso modo - adressing directly to LC : "don't pay attention, old chap, (he meant to the critics), your arrangements are tight, as usual".
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

"don't pay attention, old chap, (he meant to the critics), your arrangements are tight, as usual".
I like this comment very much.
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale »

I know nothing technical about music. I just know what I like.

The first time I listened to 'Dear Heather', I didn't like it that much. It made me cry. It sounded as though he was saying 'goodbye', and I didn't like the thought of that.

But I've listened to it a lot since. It still makes me sad, but I like it now.

Though I prefer Ten New Songs.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Thats strange, to me it sounded like he was at peace with himself and the world around him at last.
Isnt it weird how people read into things so differently.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Yeap, Lz, it was a nice comment to read. Too bad that I don't keep track of everything (to bring the real thing here). I should. But I have so much archives, already and I always think that I could retreive things easily on the net, which is not always the case.

Fljot, I can put TNS on background and do something else. In fact it seems to increase my concentration. For DH, I have to listen to it, I can not concentrate of anything else, I can't help it, so I do not play it so often.

Jay, I feel peace also and the sadness that Fljot described when you have to say goobye - this "sense of lost" he is famous for, at this time of his life, talks about loosing dear ones through death and sickness (it seems to me). Something like "I accept the emotion I am living now, but it won't make-me- sick/overwhelm-me. Something like a Zen practice as far as the neophyte that I am can now.

In regard of DH, I really wonder what the new book of poetry will be.

:D

It will probably have nothing to do with DH. 8)
Voo

Post by Voo »

Dear Heather is like the frosting on a very delicious cake that has taken years to bake. It melts in my mouth. Funny thing is, the only song I'm not all that crazy about is Dear Heather. The rest is pure bliss, pure joy, pure soul. I listen to the CD in my car Everyday! I find I can no longer drive on the freeways without Leonard singing in my ear. I need help, ya'll. I'm lovesick. :oops: :!: :wink:
My dear adorable friend Layne Longfellow (of longfellowpoetry.com) (and the CD Dreams That Cannot Die: Longfellow Reads Longfellow) told me I had to get this CD and I did. Now I've practically abandoned Layne for Leonard! But I love them both. Truly. Their voices affect me much in the same way but what to do! what to do!? Is it possible to be in love with two voices at the same time?
Layne's is soft and sweet and tender and Leonard's is rough and sweet and tender. (and yes, I'm quite mad) :roll:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Is it possible to be in love with two voices at the same time?
Yes :wink: . Allow Layne back into your world, a little at a time :D . I can see we have to fear not that you will abandon Leonard 8) :D .

That cd of Layne's sounds great... and, by the way, I love your avatar :D .

~ Lizzy
Voo

Post by Voo »

Thanks and thanks for the warm welcome here. I've been looking for a new forum to share my writings on. Please do visit Layne's website and listen to clips from his CD. They are quite outstanding and so is the man. He brings a new and refreshing interpretation to his distant relative's poetry that I think Henry Wadsworth would be proud of. Perhaps I will share the poem I wrote for Layne called THE VOICE THAT MAKES ME WEEP sometimes. I hate to post praise for another poet on a forum for Leonard but they are blood brothers essentially in my eyes as all true "born" poets are of the same spirit. I am a "born" poet, I began writing as soon as I learned my A B C's and have never stopped nor would I want to. They say "the rich are different" but true poets are "very different" though most of us will never be rich. lol And a true poet will never keep the discovery of another true poet to him or herself. I am very discerning where I share my prose now, having cast my "pearls before swine" for years and had it trampled in the dirt so I am happy to find this forum and it's all because of Layne who is one of Leonard's most devoted fans.
Last edited by Voo on Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voo

Post by Voo »

Oh and the avatar is a painting of me done by a close friend. I'm rather fond of it myself. :)
Last edited by Voo on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's you :shock: !?! Well, a born beauty, as well 8) ; as well as your close friend having created a beautiful painting, in what seems a style of 'olde.'

So, Layne is actually related to Wadsworth. It's a wonderful lineage, doesn't matter how distant. I'll make it a point to visit Layne's site and listen, as soon as I'm in the vicinity of sound coming forth from a computer.

THE VOICE THAT MAKES ME WEEP would be wonderful to read in the Member's Poetry section, whenever you feel ready. Still remember that we do have people who critique what's written there, though... and there are still helpful suggestions that come from that. We 'all' approach poetry differently, and the feedback will vary.

Now~! It's about this reported/'alleged' performance of Leonard's in Arizona two to three months back. Those of us here ~ every last one of us, I assure you :wink: ~ want some additional details on that comment. Was there some sort of gathering of writers and poets, wherein both Layne and Leonard attended, and Leonard read one/some of his poems? Or, a private gathering? Beyond those possibilities, I'm lost... as we have no knowledge of Leonard's 'surreptitiously' [but then we wouldn't if it were being done that way, would we :wink: ] performing musically, or any other way, in fact, anywhere. Leonard is and has been extremely busy, so imagining his performing in any sense, really, is very remarkable. Can you share more about this, Voo? I can hear a southwest ARRRRGGGGHHHH from Dar, now, and she's a writer, as well. < * and I don't live *that* far :wink: * > Thanks, Voo :D .

~ Lizzy
Voo

Post by Voo »

Edited due to misinformation. Sorry. Please edit replies pertaining to the deleted post. I was mistaken. :oops: Again, my apologies.
Last edited by Voo on Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

With regard to the poetry, it varies. There are those of us who appreciate it is, the heart and intent of it, and consider ourselves not experts, yet if the writer is willing, will offer a few constructive comments as we see fit.

There are some who take a more pedantic tack with it and put it under the proverbial microscope. You'll have no difficulty figuring out which it is :wink: . Whatever you encounter, don't let it deter you. The majority will appreciate what you've written.

With regard to Leonard, that's sounding exceedingly like a mistaken identity of some sort. The information you've given doesn't align at all with the current situation in Leonard's life. Perhaps, years ago; or a film of him from years ago; or someone imitating and/or doing a likeness of him, or having a 'similar' style; someone by the name of Leonard [something] or of [something] Cohen; or he wondered if Leonard could ever end up like that [the answer to that is no]. Leonard by no means needs to hang out in small/seedy clubs doing performances. At this juncture, his fans are praying for a world tour... poetry or song. No one cares, or at least not much. Something's wrong with the information you've gotten; how you're remembering it; or how you took it in, in the first place. Take it from one who knows, how these things can happen, it could be any one of those :wink: . The only other possibility might be, "Hey, Anjani... we're in town here for the night, anyway. Shall we go slummin' it and see what people think? See if anyone recognizes me? I could try out some of these new poems. Shall we?" or "Let me show you how it was in the 'good ol' days'" or "If you can sit in the back, Anjani, and let me know how my voice carries, how it sounds... " ~ however, do I really think either of those? No :D . But, they're absolutely the only scenarios I can devise that might explain such an encounter between Layne and Leonard, if it wasn't a Writer and Poet's seminar, with Leonard speaking. Please let us know what Layne says after you've asked him. Layne's performances, meanwhile, sound very intrigueing.

We had a Member's Poetry Contest here a couple years ago... the theme was Seedy Hotel. This scenario could've fit right in with that.

~ Lizzy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Voo ~

I'm not sure where I saw it, but when I have time tomorrow, I'll find it and place this there [or maybe just leave it here, and continue there]. However, I did go to Layne's website and listened to his lovely readings. I don't really know Wadsworth's work, so couldn't discern his adaptations. However, I can understand how friends listening to him around a fire would result in all-evening long, warm and nostalgic conversations. His musical accompaniment is simply wonderful. It's great the way that match was made, as well... and, yes, his voice is very soothing. I listened to every clip on his site. He appears to be an incredibly lovely man... really lovely. I can understand why you would consider him such a fine friend. How exciting it was to just read how he learned that Wadsworth's brother had gone south and settled in Appalachia. That word must have jumped off the page at him like fireworks on 4th of July. Amazing discovery for him 8) . One of those times where you just feel :D happy :D for him, just reading it! What a personal story, too, with his health and finally leaving the corporate world. A man of true determination, keeping going as long as he did. I need to get off here, but I wanted to let you know I'd gone there and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. Listening to him and looking at his photos, he's obviously very happy, very content, doing what he's doing now.

Thanks, Voo.

~ Lizzy

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”