Go No More A Roving

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
tom.d.stiller

Post by tom.d.stiller »

linda_lakeside wrote:I see things changing, jurica. I've only been here about 6 mos. but something has changed. Unfortunately.

Linda.
Dear Linda,

the board always changes. Not always the changes were considered "becoming" by all participants. I've seen troubles come and go. I've been away for some time. I always found this forum strong enough to weather all storms.

Just keep on, and we'll see how whatever might disturb you now vanishes, and re-appears, and vanishes again.

I had been away for some time, and on coming back I found a certain linda_lakeside making this place even richer. Others have gone, but eventually, I hope, they'll come back, like I did.

A cheer on us.

tom
jurica

Post by jurica »

you are so right, tom.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Well now, I have given the subject serious thought, I read your posts and thought once more. My conclusion is that I must agree with you both. Change comes, change goes, I guess that's why they call it change, :roll: 'evolving', I think, is quite apt.

That, I can live with.

Thank you both for putting my perspective in the correct place.
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

Quitting smoking...sorry about that.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

tom.d.stiller wrote:I had been away for some time, and on coming back I found a certain linda_lakeside making this place even richer.
I had the same feeling when the certan person appeared here 8) I'm glad she stayed...

Btw, where's Anne aka Nouria?
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Thank you, Tom and tom, jurica. I reciprocate the sentiments expressed. I'm glad you have an avatar now, Tom, it's easier to find your posts. I can just flip down the page and your avatar kind of jumps off the page at me.

As for Anne/Nouria, I've been wondering the same thing. I hope she's just on holiday or something similar. I enjoyed her quite a lot.

Quitting smoking? Sorry, I must've missed something.

Linda.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
Anne.A.L

Post by Anne.A.L »

On holiday, Linda? Ha! I wish! No, I've been gone because I got a job. But I've missed you guys, and I'm coming back! (Will try to keep my job too.)

The workings of this forum are absolutely fascinating to me. The skirmishes, the flirtings, the alliances, the shouts in the dark, I find it incredibly addictive. And then some posts are so clever, so funny, so knowledgeable and smart -- I can't let some silly old job keep me away from that, right?
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Well hi there!

Have you been spying on us, Nouria? I know, I know, your job as 007 probably keeps you busy. Not busy enough to stay away, though. Good enough! It is addictive, isn't it? I know people play hookey from work for a few minutes here and there just to see what's going on.

Next time why don't you drop by for a while. I'm pretty sure there are some that would like to touch bases (if nothing else). :wink:

Glad you're still out there. I have a book to read so I must be off. I'll let you catch up on all the goings on.

See ya!
Linda.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Anne, I forget that you told me about your new work - never forget about your civil life 8) But don't forget us here also (I'm looking forward to your thesis also), just keep it on normal level. (What's hard, even to me :? )
Polemos

Post by Polemos »

i like this song, but unfortunately i do not understand what it means (as well as do nit understand the orginal poem by byron).
it's because of the "no more a-roving". i can't find any suitable translation for that :( ok, there is a standard that says: "so wollen wir nicht mehr umherstreifen" (back translated in english: so we won't wander about any more). but that sounds quite low or simple, i think. the problem is that we don't have or know the part "a-" before the "roving". it really really sucks (sorry for the word) and nobody has any idea who to handle this

from "dear heather" there are only four songs i really like: the very "go no more ...", "the letters" "nightingale" and "the faith". the other songs are something in between and "dear heather" makes me feel aggressive. unfortunately
In full command
Of every plan you wrecked
Do not choose
A coward's explanation
That hides behind
the cause and the effect
margaret

Post by margaret »

Polemos,

"we" refers to a close friend, and in Leonard's singing version, this is Irving Layton. They are both well known for their love of women. To go "no more a roving" is old English and means no longer able to chase women, even though the need for love is still there. The original poem and the song, is all about getting old and not being so active any more. The "sword" and "sheath" refers to male and female as in sex 8) Does this help you understand it now?
Polemos

Post by Polemos »

thanks margaret, that makes some more sense for me. i don't stand in need to translate every word in german, but the general meaning is important for me. so with a little "sensible guessing" and your explanation it works. and things about men and women and all that stuff i may imagine :wink:
In full command
Of every plan you wrecked
Do not choose
A coward's explanation
That hides behind
the cause and the effect
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

:oops: Blimey! I never saw Margaret say sex before. I'm still blushing. Sorry, Margaret. I feel that everyone, including you, should share in my adolescent humour.

Linda.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Old Ideas: Notes on Dear Heather

------------
The link was edited because we moved to the new server. (29.6.2005)
Last edited by tomsakic on Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
lightning

Post by lightning »

As Margaret stated in her explanation of the sword and the sheath, it refers to genitalia. "Vagina" is Latin for "sheath",( check your dictionary derivation of "vagina" if you don't believe me.) Byron was that explicit.

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”